Do you miss CSI: Miami yet?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by fanilowchick, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Julz

Julz Victim

oh and at work the other day i was talking to my manager about random stuff and I accidentally called her Calleigh o.o

2. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

I wish I could have all the rewatch options here because tv universe has been significantly dull these past few years since Miami ended and now when everything is ended or about to end or nearing it. On top of cancelled/ended shows our "nice" MTG group decided to buy channels and sell for money. In other words- hello cable/sat/digi television and welcome to the money spending session.

So there my active tv watching days ended and started days of actual life (lots of happened that time).

But I'm curious about airtime licence. I understand some buys it and has allowance to air numerous times and across related channels. Does CBS has such harsh limits that allows show being aired one original time and no more than 2 repeats?
    At least Aussie shows are being aired now on our free channels (and even translation is different) too. Not just few times on "gone channels".
    I wonder if anyone knows anything about airing tv shows policy and such stuff..

I'm really curious since they could grab a bit more for an exciting shows insted of all kinds of British crime/comedy dramas :D

3. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

CSI: Miami airs in syndication here in the United States on several different channels. Recently, BBC America started airing reruns. They just air over and over. It's always on. It's on the air more than the original, or CSI: NY.

4. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

What does syndication means? Like family channels? (as in sibling channels)

I've seen Miami s5, 6 & 7 the most times due to post-midnight reruns.

And guess they half rerun Vegas where s10 got interrupted by Hockey champs.

As for airing, it was TV3 that had original airtime licence. I heard CBS asked high price for that but guess reitings got it covered. So they got all 3 eventually and aired all on that same channel for all those years.
    Then they had sibling channels up for run sometime few years back. something about getting better audience stats.
    And soon came the new digital broadcasting era (means we got to buy a small box and stuck a card in it and plug in a new antenna to watc digitalised television with excellent sound/picture quality).
    And so I came upon the TV6 which back then was airing Miami (s5 again) and some other (Universal, Diva) was airing Dark Angel (90ties kids will understand) and even Mentalist S1 (there I found new addiction)

But TV3 also aired an Aussie show McLeod's Daughters few times. When the company booked a move to paid television setting and we lost all the cool shows (my fam didn't have extra budget to pay for television) we were left with the few of national channels. And one day McLeod's Daughters were airing on national channels.

I started to wonder why some shows can travel from one channel to another and some are just for one time airing.

5. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

After about 100 episodes of a series airs, its possible to go into syndication. Syndication is when TV shows are aired in repeats, without necessarily airing on the network it originally aired. More info about syndication here.

6. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

I see. Not 100% sure but it doesn't seem to be case in my country.
    We have like national television that is a must for everyone in the country. And then we have like cable tv that is not obligatory.

National is what airs news and national sports events (like Olympics opening) and events, and culture related shows (like national music awards ceremony).
    And since we have 2 of them then one must contain only official language. Other channel has stuff in Russian too.

The other channels are optional. We were given three more spots in the Free broadcasting palette so people without extra budget gets to have something to watch.

Others are channels that belongs to some corporations that sell their slots and that is what we shall pay for if we want to watch entertainment programme.
    A corporation named MTG bought several channels that got put into paid section and now is only avaiable if I buy a package of channel ops.

Anyway, I just wondered if CBS has sold the ĺicence with some hard policy on it. Because why else none of the other channels could have gotten their stuff and put on their own timeslot?
    Because I think if LTV grabbed CSI or any of the other old/finished shows and aired they got more viewers and made happy those old fans without extra money.
    And I wouldn't cry over the fact I've seen something like 10th time :D

7. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I'm assuming you mean another network picking up one of the CSIs, correct? There had been some rumors a few years back before Miami got cancelled that AMC would pick up the show, and start airing new episodes, stopping its cancellation, but this never happened. They just started airing reruns instead. It has happened in the past, but not often. One example is NBC's JAG. It aired for one season, then was cancelled. CBS picked it up, and it ran another 9 seasons after that.

8. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Yeah. but what about other countries I mean?
    Is it known how that process happens?
    I mean, my country showed it on one channel on reruns and original airdates until the show was over, then stopped. Could they had a specific licence/contract that forbid them lending to other channels?
    Because I know McLeod's Daughters which is Australian show got aired originally on one channel and few years later on another. Could they be having other rules for airing it or the other channel bought the allowance as new contract?

I just wish they would do such thing for other older tv shows (or at least those ended ones) on the channel most audience can access. I think it would also help raitings since there's only British & German shows being aired with few Australian ones.
    I miss my old shows and would love nationals pick them instead of something like The Glades going on a channel I cannot see.
    I know the CSI's went from one to another MTG owned channel so obviously they can get options in where they airs or reruns a show, but if the channel is not under same broadcasting operator (syndicate)?

9. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

Even in other countries, I do believe they would have to have some kind of agreement/contract/license, etc., to air shows. You may want to contact your local stations and ask them.

10. Criminalist

Criminalist Rookie

no! Don't even watch the reruns.

11. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Mulder42 okay. I had suspicion about that since once I half caught a glimpse of explanation about similar question concerning CSIs and/or another show. But that was ages ago so I wasn't sure if I'm not imagining hearing/reading about it.
    But it would wonderfully explain why such popular shows cannot be aired on standard channels as a rerun option (not talking they would never afford such price which I know for sure was high enough for these hit dramas).
    So I'll be swimming in happiness and satisfaction even if I ger Sherlock and Midsomer Murders/Lewis/Death in Paradise to watch instead, I won't even whine a bit about that (since I happen to love Sherlock BBC more than original series)