"Dead of the Class" **SPOILERS**Series: 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigatio

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Re: "Dead of the Class" **SPOILERS**Series: 'CSI: Crime Scene Investig

Yeah I was wondering who thought of him graduating in 1998. I know I sure never thought he was that young. I think that was silly. Greg had always been the youngest around there and about the same age as Dave until Morgan came and now suddenly Super Dave is only like 33? :rolleyes:

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Plus the yearbook photos looked like they were from the 80's or even 70's.

I still thought it was a good episode. Super Dave is so sweet, how can you not like an episode focusing on him? :)

3. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Very cool to see Super Dave getting some attention

As someone who was bullied in high school, this episode brought up some memories, emotions, and things I have yet to let go of

The baby is named after David Berman's brother, Josh

Also, very cool to see Doc hold the baby first :)

No Sara :( but besides Brass and her absence, good use of all the characters

I wish Nick would shave, sorry, but I can't stand the facial hair

4. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

This Hodges being a kind chatty mentor to David stuff is so far out of character. And his whole hot wife? Please.

5. warrick17

warrick17 Hit and Run

sara's advice did help him obviously.

6. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I really liked this episode, it was nice seeing David front and center. It was an exciting episode.

And I'm with Greg, high school (or school in general) is not something I would want to revisit. Its best left in the past, I've never gone to any of my reunions, not interested in seeing those people again.

7. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

I went to my high school and was quickly reminded what I don't miss about it. The jerks in high school were still jerks ten years later etc.

8. Rena

Rena Rookie

Yeah, I kept wondering, too, about the year of graduation. This would mean David actually never went to college, wouldn't it? It doesn't make sense to me either, and I keep thinking it was a mistake or something.

I know of American High Schools only through TV and movies. In Germany, you have one class in terms of one group of about 20 students having all subjects together till 10th grade (like Junior High). In my "class" we were 18 students, including me. After that you would go to what in the US you call "High School" and have different classes/subjects with different people, but in total we were about 55 students in my senior year graduating from High School (after 13 school years). In general, German schools are much much smaller than American ones and since we don't have football boys or cheerleader girls you wouldn't find these jerks in your classes :lol:

9. Frosch

Frosch Witness

Maybe SuperDave was a child prodigy and graduated high school / uni early.
    If I recall Sara went to uni at 16 and wasn't Grissom the youngest coroner in LA history (in his 20s)?

Also, does anyone know how old Dave Berman is?
    Most characters on CSI seem to be on average 3 years younger than in real life. He looks like he might be around 36.

10. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

If Dave Phillips graduated high school in 1998, that would make him around 32 or 33. I'm a fan of timelines, as far as music and fashion during a year is concerned. And that's why I enjoy watching shows like Cold Case or some well-written biopic. I can remember and calculate ages and what expected year they graduate from school. But, it could also be different based on geography, since I'm more familiar with the 1980s-1990s American educational system, where students usually attend school from age 4 to 18 before college, if their birthdays are months before the next year and not after to be in a certain grade (example: born September 17, start school in August before 5th birthday, or born January 1 , start school in August, several months after 5th birthday and after summer break). They made him just a few years younger than me, and now I feel old and not so intelligent next to him, ggrrr!

Dave could very well be an early, super smart high school graduate who may have assisted in the coroner's morgue while attending college. I'm not at all familiar with how coroner's assistant (if that's what he's been from season 1) start and worked on for years, nor do I now anything about residency or whatever it's called that's required for his job. I remember that not many people like Tara from CSI: Miami because she looked too young to be a coroner. I'm not very familiar with the character since I don't find any information regarding her age or her medical background. They just pretty much wrote her off as being addicted to painkillers and risking lives of her boss and his family.

Hopefully, the writers can bring forth an explanation and more to Dave's background. I wouldn't mind another Super Dave-centric episode.

11. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

His classmates didn't seem too impressed with him to make me think he was "super" in high school as far as graduating early or anything. Graduating 15 years ago would make him 20 when the show first started. That's highly unbelievable to me. So Super Dave is supposed to be 33, and David Berman himself will turn 40 this year.

12. Rena

Rena Rookie

I doubt that he was a child prodigy, his classmates didn't look that much older than him. Nor do I think he went to college while working as an assistant medical examiner at the lab, for it was never mentioned.
    I don't know much about the character's biographies, but writers often make them much younger and thus much smarter. Look at Bones, everyone at the lab is a genuis.