Challenge Runners and challenges - Please read, comment and vote!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CSI_Kat, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Should a challenge runner be allowed to enter the challenge they run?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2009.
  1. yes - we need to establish guideline for it

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. yes - no guidelines required

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. no - challenge runners should not be allowed to enter

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

There has been some questions flying around about if challenge runners should be able to enter the challenges they run. So we will take a poll and your comments, ideas and suggestions into consideration.

As a challenge runner - have I ever entered the challenges I have run?

When I ran the Miami challenge - I never entered it. However - I run the 1x1 challenge and frequently enter it. I however set up guidelines for it so that I do not see my challengers icon until mine is done and turned in to another pre-selected person.

Please let us know your thoughts.

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I voted no, but the challenge I run I wouldn't enter anyways.

However, the reason I voted no is because I would still be wondering if the results were fair and accurate. Now I'm not saying any challenge runner would cheat, just so they win, but if they did come in 1st place, part of me would wonder.

I guess, if there were guidelines in place it would be fine, but how would it monitored to make sure the runner is following the guidelines?

Of course, you could always find someone to run the challenge, that has no interest in entering, then the current runner could join any challenge.

In any case, I still say no, but if everyone else agrees to it, its fine by me. :)

3. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

I also voted no.

Mostly, as a challenge runner (granted, I've only done the one so far) I found that it took a lot of time to actually run the challenge, and if I were to enter it, it might have distracted me from running it. I did ask Dragonfly if a runner could enter the challenge to beef up the number of entries, but I wasn't actually keen on doing it as I didn't really have the time!

Also, there are plenty of challenges for people to enter, so it's no real hardship for a runner to not enter one challenge.

I agree that if there were guidelines in place it might work, but like speedy said, you'd have to really make sure people were following them. And that just sounds like more for for what ultimately should be a fun exercise. Fun for both the entrants AND the runner.

And, I agree again with speedy, although voting is public and anyone can see its fair, if a challenge runner won, there would always be that little nagging doubt. Even if its totally unwarranted.

4. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I voted no. If someone wants to enter the challenge that they are running, then perhaps it's time to find someone else to run it.

And like egeria said, there are plenty of challenges to enter so keep the temptation down. I also agree on the if the challenge runner won if there was a miss count somewhere.

5. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

I voted no for the reasons everyone stated.

6. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I voted No also, I personally wouldnt want to enter my own challenge if we were given the option because of the main reasons people stated.

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I voted "no" because I just would feel funny entering a challenge that I run. I know the votes are public, and everyone can add up the points as well as I can and see the results, but I still would feel weird entering and/or winning.

8. fo_poozle

fo_poozle CSI Level Two

you know, i entered the 1st one i ran and then i stopped just because i felt bad and weird for doing it. i voted no too for the reasons everyone has already stated it just kind of puts everyone in an awkward place.

9. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

While I personally wouldn't care if someone was participating in their own challenge, since, as someone else said the voting is quite public, I think if those running challenges were allowed to enter their own contests there ought to be a guideline for that, even if only as a sign of good faith.

That said, I voted no. Just because I think the whole situation is simplified if those who are running challenges either run or participate.

So in the interest of not making more work for anyone, and to keep someone from inevitably getting uppity about it... nay.

10. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Since the poll has closed, and with fairly clear results, I'm going to un-stick this, but I'll leave it unlocked, just in case ;)