You Talk Funny!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by BittenByTheWolfe, Feb 21, 2005.

1. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

I've been told I have a bit of an accent but I honestly don't think I do. Well, I have an american accent :p I'm from California so I'm very... California-ish? :lol: :p I go southern sometimes and I don't even mean to but a large portion of my family is southern so sometimes it just slips out. My sister grew up with my grandparents telling her they were going to jerk a knot in her tail :p (we still don't know what that means but it sounds like it would hurt!! :lol: :p)

2. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

Yeah, I did get what you meant, but most Australians don't really have a pronounced accent until it gets called upon wehn you speak in a slightly different accent to others. Hell, once I was in a pharmacy and someone thought I was from Canada...and someone else thought I was American :lol: And some people confuse other accents for Australian, but New Yorker? Can't say I've heard that one before.

And Aussie Speak?...I didn't think people spoke it that much...surely not as much as Alf Stewart on Home and Away...Besides, most of it is drawn out cliches of what we're supposed to be like ;)

3. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

You mean, you speak like 'Hang ten dude!'? :lol: Just kidding, but you probably have a good tan right?

4. vexus

vexus Pathologist

I'm from Georgia and it's funny but I don't hear an accent on me. And it depends on who I talk to because sometimes they pick up an accent. I know one guy who says that he didn't hear one, and I have one friend who says that it sounds like I have a mixture of a northern and southern accent even thougth I have never lived up north.

It's weird!

5. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

One of my friends has lived in 3 countries (Greece for 4 years....France for 2...USA for 10) and she has no trace of...ANY accent. She even pronounces "water" correctly :lol:. She was born in boston..but she just doesn't pick up accents I guess...but when she speaks in french or greek, she has a perfect accent for that language...

6. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

:lol: :lol: :p Nope, I'm not that cool :)lol:)! I'm really just very... americanized I suppose. :cool: My voice is deeper than must people my age and a lot of people mistake me on the phone for my 18-year-old sister, which is... odd :p

I have a pretty good tan actually. I was born with a natural tan and I tan instead of burn in the sun, which.. I also think is odd :lol: :p

7. Kiwi_kid

Kiwi_kid Hit and Run

I talk funny. I am from New Zealand so I have the icky twangy accent, and use random words like gumboots and jandals etc, but I have lived in Scotland for the last couple of years so I get mocked a lot for the accent...
    Although when I first got there there were a few Scottish accents where they would talk and I would just nod politely because some of the folks from the Scottish Boarders have some pretty random words... and I had no clue what they were saying.
    I went home to NZ for the first time over Christmas and when I heard everyone talk I was like, "I do not sound like that!" we sound soooo gross! (not as bad as the aussies though, they can't even say fish and chips right, they say feeesh and cheeeps)

8. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I agree... Aussie accent different from New Yakh accent (or whateva) *has heard lots of Aussies*

9. draig_goch

draig_goch Lab Technician

lol we talk really quickly and we say things lik ouse instad of house and wata instead of water and we love to role our r's

10. Bullet_Girl

Bullet_Girl Coroner

I know.....I think they've watched crocodile dundee too many times....that's weird though, because they're some of my favorite movies :lol: that and the sentinel and about 30 others :lol:

They all have that Slim Dusty distinctive accent, it freaks me out lol. Now I think I'm adpoted XD

11. Hunter

Hunter Coroner

Lucky. I don't tan, i burn. :lol:

12. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

Everyone used to say I talked quite posh when I was at school. I was born in Cheltenham and then moved to Bury, Greater Manchester when I was 5.

I think I've picked up the accent now though. I definitely have a more Bury accent than I used to, lol. I never got the whole Manchester thing of saying buzz instead of bus though. It used to really wind me up. Is that just a Manchester thing or what?

It's really interesting at the moment though because I've just started uni and I'm hearing all sorts of different accents.

13. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I'm from chicago. so i have that accent.
    and i say tacobell. instead of taco bell.
    my friends hate it.

14. drkate

drkate Corpse

I'm Australian but I've been asked many times if I come from Canada or something because I have a partial American accent, but not quite.

It's strange caus' I haven't been to America since I was about 4 and I've never been to Canada... so I don't know why the hell I sound American... maybe it's just because I watch so much American TV! hehehe...

15. Bullet_Girl

Bullet_Girl Coroner

probably, also, I have a little bit of a texan accent.....must be from dreamin about Nick Soktes and Calleigh :p what I mean when I dream about Calleigh is I actually dream AS her through her eyes.... most of the times that happens Timmy saves me :D