What the Writers' Strike Means to CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 3, 2007.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

2. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Ouch. It keeps getting woese... :(

3. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

It really is! :(

I understand that the writers desearve more but come on guys you are mature adults right?!?! Talk!...More....Solve :D

4. PerfectAnomaly

It sounds to me like the AMPTP isn't really interested in talking and solving anything. I obviously don't know the whole situation, but it appears they're more interested in playing hard ball to get the writers to cave.

5. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

^^Happy Birthday, PA!! The day after Eddie's. :D

6. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

WGA Allows Members to Work on Image Awards

The WGA announced on Tuesday that it will allow its members to write for the NAACP Image Awards, a ceremony spotlighting diversity in the arts. The Guild added that it would not picket the Feb. 14 awards show at the Shrine Auditorium, to be aired live on FOX.

The union okayed the work waiver because the of the NAACP's history of involvement in labor disputes, according to WGA, West President PATRIC VERRONE.

The NAACP Image Awards commemorate diversity in film, TV, literature and a variety of other mediums.

Well, at least we can still see Hill :p

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Cool about the Image awards. :cool: :D

I had heard something yesterday about DGA being close to signing a contract with the AMPTP. If that happens, it really does look like the AMPTP is out to break the WGA. :(

The axing of those writers' deals is bad. It's a power play, but it also makes it a lot less likely that there will be a pilot season of any kind. I think it's kind of a punishment thing mostly though because as far as I can tell, all the deals the studios have with writer-producers weren't cut.

8. smokejohnson

smokejohnson Civilian

This is what my opinion is....they are all greedy. The writers, the studios...they're not thinking about the reason they are able to even have the jobs they have. If it wasn't for us..the people who watch the shows, movies, awards, etc....there wouldn't be much there for them to live on. What about the people who aren't in a union who are now out of work because the thousands of dollars the writers make aren't enough for them anymore? The assistants, caterers, the laborers.....it's wrong..they are all selfish as I said. I would love for this to be over because as one of the millions of people who make it possible for entertainment to go on, deserve the entertainment we make popular, high in ratings, possible for them to have work. No one has to agree with me, it's just my opinion...maybe I'm greedy, but seriouisly...would the writers have jobs if they didn't have hit TV shows to write for, or movies, or future hit shows? Who wants to watch reality TV 24/7? Not me.....I think us "fans" need to make our voices heard! Since when is earning thousands of dollars a month...hundreds of thousands a year, not enough? GREEEDY!!!!!!!! And the last deal before the holidays, the studios offered $130 MILLION...$20 million shy of what the writers were hoping...and all just for profits from the shows being watched on the internet...RIDICULOUS! CSI NY is my favorite show right along with Without A Trace...it will be a very sad year indeed if these shows do not get to finish out their seasons....VERY SAD...and do not take me wrong...TV is not the most important thing in life, and this is not the worst thing to EVER happen in the world...I will go on even if TV doesn't for now...but i still stick to my guns in they are all greedy...think about the people who aren't in a union as I mentioned before that are "completely" without work...or those people throughout the world who don't even have a penny...and maybe not by choice...only because of the area they live in....COME ON PEOPLE...stop using your "union" to squeeze more money from the studios...go back to work and get them to use that money to help the less fortunate in the world who don't have the luxury of a union to back them up to negotiate a contract for hundreds of thousands more dollars...

9. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

Yes I agree. Otherwise, there would be calls for a negotiated settlement by now. I seem to recall some discussion of having a mediator come in when this whole thing started, but I don't believe anything ever came of it. If resolving the issues and getting back to work really mattered, BOTH sides would be asking for/agreeing to having a third party come in and assist with the negotiations. But since that hasn't happened, it doesn't bode well.

I'm glad I just bought a boxed set of Poirot DVDs (the David Suchet ones - he is brillant). But seriously, I feel bad for the people caught in the crosshairs of this dispute, like the technical people, the hairdressers etc. and yes, us, the viewing public who, it appears, have an onslaught of reality television programs to look forward to.

The whole thing is a shame really. But strikes always are.

10. hotcarmine83

hotcarmine83 Victim

I'm totally with you, really!!!!!!! you couldn't have said it better!!! I'm so sick of this strike that I almsot don't care about the reasons of both parties anymore!!! i just want this damn strike to be over!!!!!

11. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

But I think you also have to take into account that without them we the viewers wouldn't have anything to watch in the first place. They create the stories and characters we all love to watch. Without them the actors, directors etc. have nothing to work with. Everything is pretty much built from the script up. I think it's fair what they're asking for even though it sucks big time that it had to come to this.

And happy B-day PerfectAnomaly!!! I keep meaning to post that :lol:

12. althea

althea Lab Technician

^^ I've had enough of the strike as well and I'm not looking forward to the onslaught of reality tv shows Survivor Mars anyone? But I don't think the writers are being greedy when they ask for a cut out of dvd and internet sales that sounds pretty fair to me. Its their hard work imaginations and creativity that brings to life all the characters we love and the shows that we can't miss out on. The studios should just fork out and pay these people more money. Oh and Happy Birthday PA hope its a good one :D

13. PerfectAnomaly

Thanks for the birthday greetings, WhosLaughingNow and althea!

I think the amount of money they made before the strike is irrelevant. Yes, it's more money than a lot of us will ever see, but that's not the point. The big issue is that some members of the AMPTP have gone on record stating how much money they can make with the internet, yet they refuse to compensate the writers adequately for using their work on the internet. They're stating that the internet use is marketing or advertising, and that there's no way to tell how much money can be made from it so there's no way to compensate the writers without it breaking them financially. First off, airing an episode in it's entirety, complete with real advertising shown before each segment, the day after it airs on TV is in no way just marketing. Second, if the AMPTP can tell the media how much they project to make from the internet, they can certainly offer the WGA a fair percentage of the profits as compensation for their hard work. The AMPTP shouldn't be reaping all the benefits of the writers' hard work.

I think the recent "Golden Globes Press Conference" shows what TV will be like without the writers, and it ain't pretty. It sounds as if the WGA is going the same route with all the major award ceremonies, and I think that's a good strategy. If the WGA backs down now, there's no way they will ever be adequately compensated in the future.

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Survivor Mars might actually be interesting. :lol:

smokejohnson, the only deal I heard about before the holidays was a residuals one that would have paid out roughly $250 a year to each writer for internet re-airings of shows. That's not a lot when you think about how many times a show can be reaired (with commercials!) on the internet. This strike is a Big Picture kind of thing...with the way we watch TV changing--how many of you watch shows, whether illegally or legally, on the internet? Even I've watched a few eps of Lost at abc.com and downloaded the CSIs from iTunes, and I'm not a tech-savvy person in the least. The writers are fighting for their fare share of those profits (which some estimate will be about 6 billion dollars a year).

15. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

I apologize if this was already posted....but there are a few articles floating around about writer's contracts getting cancelled. Here is one on yahoo news