The Last Movie You Saw - Thread 4

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, May 4, 2010.

1. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i have seen Dead Silence and i really liked it. one of the few movies in recent years that gave me a good scare. i also enjoyed that parts of it were filmed near where i went to undergrad.

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ Oh, I may check that out. I have the hardest time finding decent "horror" movies and I'm always on the hunt for them. I never get scared though. And I mean never. Still, if it's stylishly done, I still enjoy them a lot. So hard to find good ones though- if you have any more recommendations, I'd appreciate it! :)

3. kaybee988

kaybee988 Witness

Just saw Life as we know it. A really really cute movie. I like Katherine Heigl in pretty much everything and Josh Duhamel is hot too :lol: :thumbsup:

4. allmaple

allmaple Judge

attempt #2 at scary movie and I got another "meh". i went with Feast because it was on a list of "top 12 horror movies of the 21st century so far" and the author of the article seemed to really like it. it was ok, nothing original. a group of people trapped in a bar in the middle of nowhere with strange creatures trying to get in. no real scary moments, when ever a creature busted in i was like "oh, there it is, havent seen one in a while..." there is a sequel or two, not sure if i will bother with them.

jason mewes, but unfortunately he only lasted a few short minutes

the hunt for a good scare continues...

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, I finally watched "Sharktopus". It wasn't quite as stupid as I expected, but the thing still looked really ridiculous. And I still don't understand the scientists wanting to mix the two species. It's just a bizzare mix to me. :lol: The acting of the main characters was fine, but background/canon fodder people were terrible... especially the girl on the beach in the beginning. Saying "oh my god" (in a tone as if she'd just seen someone go from ugly duckling to hottie overnight) when she saw her friend being grabbed by the creature was just not good. :lol:

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Just watched "Suck" today. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't watch it a second time. The storyline was interesting. And there were appearances by Moby, Alice Cooper, Iggy Pop and Henry Rollins. The band in the movie (the main characters) were called The Winners. They were supposed to be a rock band, but one song sounded like Nsync style, another like a girl pop song, etc. But it was an interesting one time movie nonetheless.

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Saw The Social Network and Let Me In over the weekend. 2010 has been a really poor year for movies in general, but I'm starting to think things are picking up (figures it would be towards the end of the year :lol:).

Let Me In
    really did have a great horror feel to it. The Social Network was another fascinating gem. Aaron Sorkin took the film in directions I certainly wasn't expecting, and it ended up being a *really* solid film. The scores for both films were incredible, too.

Here's my Top 10 picks from 2010 thus far:

1. Inception
    2. The Social Network
    3. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
    4. Toy Story 3
    5. The Town
    6. Let Me In
    7. Kick-Ass
    8. Splice
    9. Despicable Me
    10. Get Him to the Greek

8. allmaple

allmaple Judge

my search for a good halloween movie continues. this week was the original Dawn of the Dead.

maybe its because i grew up with the more modern zombie movies, but i dont see what is scary about a person painted grey schleping around aimlessly. plus the characters were so incredibly stupid, with zombies that move so slowly coming after you if they actually catch you it is probably well deserved.

the fact that this movie was not scary at all aside, it was still pretty good. a little long and slow, but okay overall. more of a comment on consumerism (that the dead are still drawn to the mall) than a scary movie. ive been using a list of top scary movies, but havent found a winner yet.

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i enjoyed scott pilgrim but i guess i'm not enough of a comic geek to have really got bowled over. i have friends who thought it was the best thing ever. i liked it but y'know, that's it. toy story 3 was ok, nowhere near as good as TS2, but better than the latest shrek :)

i saw the social network last week, i thought it was excellent, i liked that it didn't try to over-nice anyone, in fact andrew garfield's character was the only decent one of any of them. i was also pleasantly surprised by timberlake, i've never been a fan much but he was good - and i was impressed that someone who clearly has a reputation to maintain didn't hold back on making his character utterly unlikeable and a total arse.

the town was *really* good. i don't like affleck as an actor usually but he is a *great* director. i really liked how in some ways it was your average heist flick, but in other ways it was totally different.

i'm really looking forward to never let me go - the book was fabulous, despite being quite miserable (hey, what can i say? i like miserable) - carey mulligan is great (i've been watching her on british tv for years and i'm really glad she's made it to the hollywood a list!), andrew garfield is outstanding (again, he's been on british tv a long time, and it's nice to see him doing so well too), and it looks from the trailers like they've done quite an interesting job with the material.

and having caught up....

i saw RED the other day. i wasn't sure whether to go to that or despicable me - the fact that it was saturday afternoon & half term and the entire cinema was crawling with kids helped make the decision. i was a little... erm... "meh" about seeing RED, i thought from the trailers and stuff it looked ok but nothing spectacular. but in the event i enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would.

the action scenes had some great visuals, some of those scenes really popped. i'm not usually a bruce willis fan (in fact he was probably the reason i wasn't entirely enthusiastic because the rest of the cast i was happy with) but he was surprisingly good! i read a review that said his on screen chemistry with mary louise parker was probably his best partnership since moonlighting and i pretty much agree. they're not a predictable couple but somehow it worked really well. she was endearingly cute, he was well, better than i expected.

helen mirren & morgan freeman clearly enjoyed hamming things up and were very entertaining, but the highlight was john malkovich who took murdock from the a team and took it to whole new levels. he was very funny.

so in a nutshell i enjoyed it much more than i thought i would and i'll probably get it on dvd as i can see myself enjoying it again.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

SECRETARIAT The greatest race horse in the history of racing. This horse had a mind of his own. He ate when he wanted, slept when he wanted and raced fast, when he wanted. He did love his owner [Diane Lane] who was fabulous in this movie. It took place in the 70's. She had a strong bond with him, and him with her. It was so cute when she came near him he reared his head and whinnied and was so happy to see her. She was like his "horse whisperer", when they had intense eye contact, he knew and she knew, what was expected of him. Also John Malkovich, his trainer, and a very colorful character. Also good acting. And the rest of the cast wonderful. Very upbeat happy thrilling flick, a must see especially for horse/animal lovers~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretariat_(film))

11. BabaOReilly

So you watched the original, then? The newer one with Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames is really good.

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i have seen the remake and liked it. i know some people think it is blasphemous to say, but i liked the remake much better. i also liked land of the dead but rise of the dead was horrible. next on the list to watch is Session 9 hope its good!

13. BabaOReilly

I think the Dawn of the Dead remake was better too, so you won't burn in hell alone. :lol: In fact, it's one of my all time horror faves. GREAT dialogue in that movie, and the bizarre quotient was high! I laughed through a lot in that one.

Good luck on your ongoing viewing mission. :)

14. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

this isn't a movie i saw but still vaguely relevant. one of my mates just told me that on a quiz show tonight the contestant picked the category "war films" but it turned out they'd never heard of apocalypse now - HOW?!!!?

15. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

the Craft- so bad but so good. my brother was watching The Mentalist one day when my friend was over and she recognized Robin Tunney from The Craft so i downloaded it, loved it, and bought lol. it's not a bad story but some things in it are silly. Robin Tunney's wig was so bad haha. now it's weird seeing her on The Mentalist.

Empire Records- this was really odd considering i just watched The Craft and then this movie comes on tv with Robin Tunney in it as well. i loved this movie it was so good. i went online the next day and ordered it i cannot wait to watch the whole thing unedited.

Most Dangerous Game- Fay Wray's movie pre- King Kong. not a bad movie at all. the movie was short and to the point and the story was good. this seemed like an audititon for King Kong: Fay Wray was in the movie along with the guy who plays Carl Denham in Kong and the writers/director/producer from Kong did this movie and Max Steiner did the score.

The Adventures of Robin Hood- i had to watch this movie in a film class i'm in. it was silly, i cracked up every time Errol Flynn threw his head back and laughed. the score to this movie is so good. the whole time i was either thinking of Disney's Robin Hood movie or how much Olivia De Haviland and her sister Joan Fontaine look so much alike. the costumes in this movie are so bright and elaborate that sometimes they were a bit distracting (this was made in color in 1938)