"The Grave Shift" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

But why do I get the feeling that Langston will become more than a CSI,given his stature as a doctor?

He will get a small space in the coroner's office and then when the time is right he'll get his own office...that statement smells of favoritism from the writers....they can't help but to let their star shine...And what is up with Riley...we never saw CSI 3's act with as much authority as she seems to have.

Why do I have the feeling,out with the old and in with the new.

2. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Riley is actually a Level 2 and that is funny come from her when she was ready to shoot that old lady and not listen to Nick. Only Nick and Greg are Level 3s now. Of course, LF is going to shine, he is the male lead in the show.

I'm hoping that the 'old' is not pushed to the wayside, but I guess we have the rest of the season to find out.

3. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

First, I've just got to say that I am super excited that SuperDave and Wendy finally got bumped up to season regulars! I'm totally excited for that.

As to credit order and 'star' status, my impression was that LF's role as star would be somewhere between Brass and Grissom (or rather WP and PG). From what I've heard on some other thread, the consensus was that Marg would still get first billing while LF would get the last spot (where it says 'and also starring' or such), a spot he would possibly share with Guilfoyle. I really don't think they're just going to turn the show over to him. Even with Grissom, CSI has always been a show that's reliant on the strength of the ensemble. It wouldn't just turn into the Langston Show overnight. It kind of feels like many of the same fears are coming up that came up when Riley came on; worrying that it would suddenly be all about her, yet she hasn't gotten any bigger of a role than anyone else. Honestly, I've got to say that I trust TPTB on this one. I mean, seriously, just consider how much thought they must have put into this issue.

4. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

Yeah, I was also surprised about the social worker line from Riley, but I will have to agree. Doing that can get you into major trouble, especially if you're new. Maybe she's just keeping him from getting in trouble? It's almost like they are making Ray like Grissom in that aspect. He hates when people mess with kids, and rather than just process them for evidence, or attempting to get a confession out of them, he tries to get into their head. I mean, the others do it too, but on an emphasis of Grissom as of late in Say Uncle. When he wouldn't let that doctor near him, Grissom seemed very protective of the child.

But that's in the past ;).

As far as Marg being first, AWESOME! I just hope that it is accurate, because as we know, it may not always be right. happyharper, I thought the same thing. I thought that LF would be a halfway mark between PG and WP, given his tenure.

I thought the whole tie scene was funny! He learned his first lesson; listen to Nick. HAHA! :lol: No, but it was interesting that they showed him making a mistake early on. It's showing that he isn't perfect and that he is learning. I'm glad they did it that way. It's more realistic than having him being thrown into the field, and know EXACTLY what he was doing.:thumbsup:

5. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Ok, so I was watching the promo for this episode and a thought occurred to me. I hope at the end they do one of their get togethers at the diner, you know the NEW graveyard team having breakfast with Brass, of course.

That might be a nice touch and a way to show CSI has sorta started a new generation. Know what I mean?

6. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

This is the first episode by the guys that came over from was it Stargate or BG? I'm interested to see what they can do with an episode. Looks promising if the promo is any indication...

7. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Well Naren Shankar came from a Sci-fi show, Farscape, which I adored, so I think these guys have a lot of possibility for them.

8. Live4GrissNSara

Live4GrissNSara Lab Technician

I just saw another promo on CBS where Catherine and Ecklie are discussing Grissom's office. Catherine said she didn't want it and then Ecklie replied that they couldn't just keep it up as a shrine. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Anyone used to watch "Hey Arnold"?
    Remember how Helga had an Arnold shrine in her closet?
    Well, I'm not saying I have a Grissom shrine in my closet,
    But I do.

I'm just happy that the air of Grissom's presence will still be there in this episode.

9. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Are you serious? I had no idea we had a Sci Fi geek has a Exec. Producer. And to answer your question Kasey, the writers of this episode are from Battlestar Galactica.

10. Veze

Veze Rookie

Bit of continuity,

Nick comment to Langston about the suit on the job. Exactly like with Keppler (back then, it nearly became a running gag between those two).

11. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was some show like that. Will be interesting to get their take on the characters. I'm sure they won't be able to stray far from canon but it'll be nice to get some different perspective on things...

12. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

In the promo it shows a man smacking his son on the back of the head and Ray telling him that was not necessary. So I believe that is why Riley said what she did. As already been pointed out she is a CSI lv 2 so has the experience to know the job, Ray is new and does not know.

I am looking forward to see how Langston learns to be a CSI. I believe with his medical background we will be seeing some morgue work from him as well as being a CSI, should be interesting.

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Well, what I think is funny is her even saying that. You don't need to be trained to be a CSI to know that is wrong.

I am also sure, that if it was Nick or Catherine seeing that, they would've probably said the same thing and done something about it.

Personally, I think Riley is wrong in this situation and she isn't miss perfect either. Sorry, I think she is going to start grating on my nerves.

14. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

We haven't seen the entire show, so I'm inclined toward reserving judgment toward both characters until we actually see it. I have a feeling that, in this case, context will be everything. That said, the idea of Riley making that comment to Langston really reminds me of Sara and Ronnie in S8. I know Riley is cynical, but I really hope she isn't quite as bad as Sara was. But we'll see. Overall, I really like Riley's character, and I have a feeling I'm gonna like Ray's. Can't wait to see this episode!

On a different (and slightly more arbitrary) topic, what do you guys think everyone will call Langston? I've heard him referenced on the boards as both 'Langston' and 'Ray.' It might seem silly, but I feel like that also sets a tone for the characters; do characters call him by his last name, which to me sets him as a more venerable character who, despite his status as a CSI 1, is still treated as a wise older man, or will they use his first name, setting him on a more equal footing, or even lower footing, because he's a CSI 1, or is he even called Ray, as a nickname. Either way, I think characters' names for him will set a tone for his relationship with the team. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  15. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I was wondering the same thing. (Man, I can't type today :scream:) Anyways, I think Catherine will call him Ray being that she called him that in the promos. Nick called him Dr. Langston, but that was just to greet him so who knows. I could see Nick calling him Dr. Langston out of respect. Nick is just that kind of guy, but I can also see him calling him Ray.

Hodges, I doubt, will call him Dr. Langston because lets face it, he's not gonna like the guy.

In any case, I am so looking forward to this episode and seeing LF now in the CSI role.