The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

:(:(:(:(

Still sad......
    rational I would say Spain had the better part of the match
    but I'm not ready yet to be aware of this...

now I think the referee was against us ( of course ;)) Robben should have score the big chance he had.... but as a saying goes here

"between if and I should have lies a world of regret"

anyway congrats to Spain...

2. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

WE'RE THE CHAMPIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Congrats to Spain. (Spain is 3rd on my list after Holland and Germany so I guess this went well :p ) I'll go to Barcelona in two weeks, I told my other half I am not going now :p (just kidding, I asked him earlier that if Holland wins, can I wear my Holland shirt there whole week? :lol: )

I was wondering did winning EC give Spain so much confidence so they don't freeze anymore? I mean, how great players Spain has had over the years (golden generation ) and how tough is La Liga and all but they've always failed.

We all can say lots of ifs (If Robben used those two chances, if and if)

Anyways. I hope I don't have to wait 30 yrs to see Holland next time in final ;)

Anyways. Both played well. And I'd have given the best player of the tournament to Xavi - he is amazing.

I am amazed how well Holland defense sticked together and David Villa 'n friends didn't get thru so well. And why oh why Robben didn't chip the ball over Casillas (which is imho the best goalie in the world, not just because they won)?
    How many wasted goals when they shoot ball straight to goalie?

Cards. Almost all deserved EXCEPT 2nd yellow and with that red card for Heitinga. Seriousy - what amazing dying swan Iniesta pulled. As for ref, it was hard game. IMHO, de Jong should have gotten red for his kick, it was plain stupid. But I guess ref didn't want to play so big role that early (even the card would have been deserved) ... I didn't see van Bommel's one. Kind of sad that Holland had to play so dirty now and then.

And ffs if you don't hear the whistle, you don't raise your hand, stop playing and ask ref WTF? but play until the end. I think this is the reason why Iniesta had his goal, the Dutch waited for offside (like it was) from the first pass ( I think it was to Fabregas?)
    And why Robben was yelling at the ref all the time?

Oh well, refs are humans and this is the game. But I think Webb lost his touch in the end of the game.

About World Cup itself. Who would have believed that the 3 best countries are European when the games started? Or that the best South American team is Uruguay?
    I am glad when there are new teams (even there now was Germany) at top 4, and not just France, Brazil, Argentina [well that Germany is there]

Perhaps some day England gets his teamplay back together and they get their asses back there.

ps. I even bought Heineken to support Holland (even I am boycotting 'em nowadays)! But I guess it didn't work.

4. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

aha... there it went wrong ;)
    you should have bought some bavaria (you know all the fuzz about the girls wearing bavariadresses which made the fifa quite mad because of their contract with budweiser :lol:)

5. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Vup - ti - do.

Congrets to Spain for winning. Just goes to show....some experts had them leaving before the finale....and here they go all the way...

6. Ducky

Well Heineken is pretty much the only Dutch beer you get here in stores. Ok, Grolsch but me no likes.

Rest is pretty much German-Czech-Danish-Finnish beers

7. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Grolsch is available over there?? I'm impressed... I really thought Heineken was very good in being the only "dutch"beer to be sold abroad...

Actually I do like Grolsch over Heineken :cool:
    and to set things in a right perspective... many dutch would say that even if you would be able to buy bavaria over there you shouldn't..;) the only good thing from bavaria are their commercials .. it's a kind of a general opinion..

is the finnish beer any good?

on topic: today the dutch footballteam will be honoured..Amsterdam is expecting one million people in the city... I wonder if that will be the case.. however we're still disappointed but a kind of proud that the boys reached the final... though our play in the final was far from good... au contraire.... we didn't use the qualities to actually play (at most we did for a minute or 20).. instead we tended to anti-football..

8. Ducky

I think more and more you can see different beers, different countries. I buy now and then new ones to taste.

Ah yes, usually I buy Finnish beer Karhu (=Bear) - it's the strongest (well 4,7% but the taste is stronger) and nowadays there's Korpisavu (kind of smokeflavorish) which is really good. There's few Finnish ones that I don't touch :p Then when mood for talk, Kilkenny is the beer <3

Stella Artois [can be bought it liquer stores and with rip off prices from bars [once you've bought it in Belgium for 82 cents, 5-6€/bottle is bit too much] is one of my faves <3 same with Tuborg but it's not sold here.
    So if I saw somewhere the Dutch beer list, there may be some but who knows

I was wondering this another day (of course 2nd place is a disappointment when you could have been 1st) but think how many countries try to get in WC and only 32 gets to tournament. And then when there is only two countries left, you are the other one. I mean geez. The best of the best.

And yes, it was sad that the Dutch team played so aggressive

9. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

I don't know if there is a beer topic? :) however beer and football are somehow connected :cool:...but if this beertalk has to be somewhere else... let me know...
    From my stay in Norway way back I knew alcohol is quite expensive... are the rates in Finland the same?
    In the town where I live we have a beerpub with over 100 different kind of beers... It's been ages since I've been there.. but the name of the finnish beers makes me wondering if they have finnish beers...have to go there one of these days..

well... tuesday the people who went to Amsterdam (over 500.000) did realize the above ... it was more than overwhelming ... the team went to the prime minister, afterwards they paid a visit to our queen and afterwards there was a boattrip through the canals of Amsterdam and a giant gathering at the museumsquare... it almost seemed if they were worldchampions...
    Arjan Robben said it well "Spain may be the worldchampion, but we have the best supporters in the world" :)

10. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Ok... the worldcup is over ....:cool:
    time for....

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/

with an interesting qualification game on september 7th...
    the Netherlands vs Finland ;)

11. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

So we are keeping this tread alive.....Hurray ....talking to you all soooo much fun...Where is Ducky hiding??

12. Ducky

I'm not hiding, I just thought should post some groups here :p

Ah yes, Finland-Netherlands. Finns will be excited since so many support Holland and chance to see them play... wait... erm Finland. Yes. It's so sad, we'll never make even to EC because we always get England, Germany or Holland in our group. Last time it was sooo close, because we almost kicked Portugal's ass. Almost. That's the closest we've got.

So for qualifications - anything big? Who knows about team France and who is allowed to play? That's just plain silly and IMHO something what only the French would do. Fans stop caring about the team until they pull their crap together and let the big ones to play again. (I assume they won't play anymore, I mean Anelka and so on)

And did I read somewhere that Beckham is too old for England? Perhaps he isn't that fast like he used to but his eye for the game and all is still there.
    I mean see, we have Litmanen ( I don't think any coach would have the balls to left him out, he's pretty much replaced God in football in Finland) - he may not be as fast ashe used to, but god his passes, how he reads the game and he is where he has to be

13. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

So tonight the netherlands have to compete against Finland....:cool:

according to an article overhere... Litmanen isn't planning on quitting football.....

14. Ducky

Okay, few days ago we lost to MOLDOVA (it was our 1st game). I mean, c'mon. Hyypiä got red card in first half and now he was out fromHolland game...
    which we lost 2-1. It's not really bad after all, but it's almost already ruined :p

And I'm sorry, but what was van Nistelrooy doing there? :lol: I thought he "retired" from national team? ("retiring" when still active usually means they know they won't be getting in team anymore, usually because a) they are too old or b) their ego is too big for the team)

15. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

:(:(:( As papers say: It was neither pretty or impressive. But 1 -0 for Denmark versus Island.

Them boys - them boys.....when will they be energetic and sparkeling?

Spain got wipped by Argentina. 4-1:eek: