The 30 and Over Club

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI_Kat, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Nope. The wise politicians in the city decided to make it against the law to play street hockey :rolleyes: I don't know whether they were concerned with the safety of the kids or what. Some neighbourhoods do try and have street hockey tournaments every year but i think they have to have permits :wtf: another good old cash grab for the city :shifty:

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Seriously, you gotta wonder... do kids have really have it better these days? Sometimes I think that, despite all the advancements, they're really missing out on a lot of the cool, simpler things that we had. Then again, I'm guessing every generation must think that. :lol:

3. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

I remember changing the channel on the TV myself. As a matter of fact, my first tv is in my garage (used up until about 3 years ago) and it has a dial...13 channels.:p

CAR! Geez how many times have I yelled that in my lifetime? Kickball and wiffleball were what we played. We also played our version of night hide-and-seek but we called it man hunt. :)

My parents still have the old Pong game too. :)

4. twiztid4togo

twiztid4togo Coroner

My kids spend very little time outside, even in the summer. When I was young I was always outside riding something, climbing something or digging something up. My kids are so into video games now, its sad. We have a trampoline and up until a few years ago they lived on it. They use to spend all day on it play wrestling. They had tons of kids from the neighborhood over and had wrestling matches. now it sits all alone. Hell, even in the winter I was outside playing in the snow. Sledding, building snow men or trying to make an igloo. My kids never went out once this winter to play in the snow.

I remember the time we didn't have remote controls. now if we lose the remote no one knows how to change the channels or turn the tv on. We just stare at it till someone finds it. Oh and lets see I think we have about 13 remotes for various stuff...it's insane.

wiffle ball..omg I loved it. Night hide and seek, loved it. We use to catch lightening bugs....do those things still exist ??? LOL...doesn't seem like there are as many these days.

I don't think they do have it better. They are missing out on so much and they'll never be able to experience it. I'd really like to send my youngest son to some camp this summer, but I don't think they even do that anymore. Too many people sueing for stupid stuff. I read that because of some kid dying this winter that they were trying to ban sled riding...are they serious? And make kids were helmets and padding for things such as sledding, riding skateboards, skates, bikes... how the hell did we all survive without helmets and padding?

5. CoachMom

CoachMom CSI Level One

Lightning bug! Yep. My kids still try to catch them at night. I live in a pretty small town so my kids do some of the things I did as a kid. But not as much. They do however, play in the creek and catch crawdads.

Helmets & pads....for sledding?! Ummmmm....Ok then. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of hills where I live so we don't get to sled that much.

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I think we were a tougher breed back then. We lived outdoors or at least played out doors so scrapes and scratches were part of our life. Today's kids live in what is called here a Nanny State. Parents are told what they have to do for their kids. Here kids have to wear helmets when on their bikes. I know helmets do save lives but if parents would teach their kids road smarts when it comes to cars then there may not be so many bike and car accidents. And Sue I think you said it best when everyone is suing each other now a days. Governments don't want to be sued so they pass these laws that won't allow kids the freedom to try and have fun.

7. twiztid4togo

twiztid4togo Coroner

We live out in the country, you would think my kids would be all in the nature stuff, but they aren't. We lived in the city too long and they are spoiled. Last year the whole family, including hubby was out side picking apples from the neighbors tree. Lightening bugs came out and we had a contest to see who could catch the most. I won, because my boys, including Hubby, didn't want to touch them...sad! Crawdads...my kids would have no parts of that. lol

If I didn't have a skinned knee when I was little or some bruise on me I was grounded and not allowed outside. My youngest son is 11 and has never....ever had a skinned knee. My oldest has only had a few. He got into skateboarding a few years back and when he fell and almost scraped up his face, he gave it up.

8. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

And here I thought my neighborhood was so creative! :lol: We too played night hide and seek, but we had a version called Wolf. Its kind of weird, I vividly remember having to be in the house when the street lights came on. I can't remember is it was a temporary curfew or if we snuck out in order to play. :p
    We did street tennis, until the neighbor got a new car and got all worried we would scratch it. Jeez ruin a kids fun.

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Man, we'd be out at night too. We'd climb trees and one of my friends had a tool shed and we would sit on the roof and have lunch. My other friend had a pool and we would swim at night.

When we had a blizzard in 1979, talking a few feet of snow, we climbed onto the roof of my friend's house and we jumped off it into a big pile of snow. It was a ranch house, but you wouldn't probably catch kids doing that today.

We did a night time hide and seek called 'Ghost in the Graveyard'. That was lots of fun.

I remember catching lightning bugs (that's what we called fireflies). How about 'Mother May I?'. 'Red light/Green light'?

I agree, though, I think most kids are coddled today and they definitely don't appreciate the simple things.

10. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Same here!! Haha, I asked my Mom to take me to a screening and I ended up crying my heart out. I love to watch my Disney movies over and over again but I never attempted to watch Bambi again. Too damn traumatic!! :lol:

As for the Muppets, I love them!! I still remember pulling up a chair in front of the TV, standing on top of it, and singing along to the Rainbow Connection at the end of the Muppet Movie. In fact, I have the soundtrack in my iTunes. :lol:

OMG, V scarred me for life! I totally freaked when Diana would eat those mice!! :eek:

Anyway, yesterday I started feeling my age. :lol: Last Saturday was the first time I ever tried playing with the Nintendo Wii. When I saw the health warning as the console powered up, I scoffed at it heartily. Now, I'm thinking that I should have taken that health warning seriously since I am in considerable pain. I think overdid it. My thighs, my back and even my ribs are very, very sore. I can't believe that a few games of bowling and tennis could do that to me! Haha, now I know better. I guess my competitive nature just kicked into high gear and now my battered ol' body is paying the price!! :lol:

11. Nightrider

Nightrider Witness

I'm considering a Wii myself. As a kid, my mother would have to drag me kicking and screaming inside the house when it got dark. My friends and I were always outside. Now, it takes an act of God to get me on a nature hike. I need to do something to get this body moving (whether I like it or not!).
    And with the remote, I think my first remote was when we got cable in the mid-'80s. Before that, I would sit so close to the TV my mother swore I would go blind before I became a teenager. Hate these damn glasses ...

12. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

I remember a remote for the VCR when I was young that was attached with a cord. It was tiny, I think only doing play, fast forward, rewind and stop. It didn't even reach to the nearest chair in our house so we always made my little sister sit on the floor and work it. :lol:
    Not much better than going up to the machine, but it got us an extra 4 feet maybe?

13. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Hahaha, I can relate!! :lol: I was an athlete growing up but now...ah, it takes a lot to get me to exercise and I'm skinny as hell, just out of shape! :lol: I'm always telling myself to get back into the pool, get back into the pool. One of these days, I will. I miss the water and even the smell of chlorine in my hair! :lol: Plus, swimming is a low impact sport, which is easier on the body.

I remember that remote well. In fact, that remote was my best friend! Haha, that extra four feet made a world of difference. :lol:

14. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Rookie

I also remember that remote, it plugs into the Beta Max machine sitting in the garage. :eek:

15. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

When I was a kid, my dad used to call my brother or me out to the living room to change the channel for him. I don't think we had a TV with a remote until sometime in the 80's.

I also remember playing outside all of the time and playing hide and seek in the dark. I rarely let my kids play outside, unless I'm right there to watch them or if they're in our back yard (which is fenced in).