HP And The Deathly Hallows ~ * BEWARE MAJOR SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Jul 23, 2007.

1. sHiNNizLe

sHiNNizLe Rookie

Yeah,Dobby :(. His death is one of the saddest moment in the book. Almost make me cry. I totally have no idea that Snape had a crush on Lily and they used to be friends too :eek:. Harry entering Snape's memory is one of my fave part in the book :cool:. I somehow guessed that Snape is a spy or someting but in love with Lily?Totally blew my mind away.Poor Snape :eek:.

;)

2. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

As I was reading the chpter about Snape's memory, I thought poor Snape, I know what it's like to have a crush on someone and have it taken away by someone else. I wondored why Lily stuck up for Snape. I thought that after everything was over Tonks and Lupin might have become parents to Harry, he liked them both very much. But then they died. Yay Need 4 Speed you agree with me about Harry/Hermione.

3. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

i loved this book. interesting way to end it, but it made me mad so many people died! i was really hoping Lupin, Tonks, Fred, and even Snape, would make it. i thought Snape's memory was sad too, but the funny thing is i always suspected he knew Lily.

since i'm the only one that reads Harry Potter in my house i gave everyone in my house updates. my sister was fairly upset when i said Fred and Dobby died. great book though, i think i'll read it again!

4. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

This book was the best book I have EVER read. It was a little dragged out at the beginning but it didn't make the difference because I loved how Rom, Harry and Hermionie went off in search of the Horcruxes and what they met along the way. It felt like one last adventure for the threesome.

I was very dissapointed about Fred, Lupin and Tonks dying: Tonks and Lupin just had a freaking baby, why did they have to die? I'll get over it though because... :eek: FRED! *sob* Fred and George were so awesome. *sigh*

Otherwise, it was fantastic. I loved the twist to the plot at the end, the whole story surrounding the Hallows, when Harry 'died,' when he found out about Snape and his mother...everything was well written, and just amazing. I had thought that either Ron of Hermionie would die, and I'm sort of glad neither did, even though it would have made for some really emotional, touching moments.

I wished the 19 years later chapter had touched more upon Harry's friends than on his kids. The whole series stressed friendship and love, and while there was some of it, I wanted a threesome finish. Harry, Ron and Hermionie were just perfect friends, and they deserved that kidn of ending. However, I can't complain much.

I don't think I'll ever forget Harry Potter, or Ron, or Hermionie, Ginny, Fred, (*sob*) George, NEVILLE (my hero!), even Draco...and all the rest of the characters. 'Cause I really loved everyone. So here's to the series that defined our generation: what an amazing ride it's been.

5. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Wow! excellent book. I liked the epilogue but it would have been nice to see what Harry's job was. Minister of Magic :) I thought Ginny's and Harry's children names were very appropriate. Dumbledore and Harry's parents and Snape will not be forgotten.

Snape was a pleasing surprise to see as a good guy. You knew there was more to the story back when Lupine first appeared on the scene back in book 3.

Ah Fred dying that was a shock but when you have the good guys vs the bad guys good guys have to dye :(

It was nice to see that Kreacher had rounded up the house elves to help fight the battle but I was very sorry to see Dobby die :(

6. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I was glad that Kreacher became nice to Harry, I didn't like how George's ear got like cut off or destroyed by Snape, but I know he didn't mean it.

7. KimAZ

KimAZ Prime Suspect

Holy crap this book rocked...but i was soooooo sad that all my favorite characters died. Lupin, Tonks, Fred, and Snape. But I have to say though that I thought one of the twins would die, sad as it was. But Lupin my favorite character since we first met him on the train in Book 3...so sad.

However the chapters of the battle, the great battle, of Hogwarts was absolutely amazing. Every single bit of it, from McGonegal yelling "CHARGE!" to Trelawny chucking crystal balls. Absolutely amazing and brilliant.

And when Harry is going to the forest to die, I actually cried...esp. when he summoned his parents and Sirius and Lupin and tells Lupin he's so sorry he had to die. And Sirius' attitude about death.

And Snape (or Hans as I like to call him because Alan Rickman plays him :cool:) was great...I always knew he was a good guy at heart. And the way he died...damn.

Overall I would say it was my second favorite (the 5th book will always be number one) and i agree that its kind of sad now that the series is over...no more waiting for the next book. It'll be weird.

8. grissoms_gurl

grissoms_gurl Coroner

Wow! I almost feel emotionally drained after reading this book!! For me, as the reader, it took me all the way through the book as if I was Harry Potter himself!! I almost felt everything he felt! There were so many deaths, and at first I didn't really understand why all of these important and close people had to die.. but in the end it all made sense. Harry can't fight a battle to save the world, without sacrifices..
    The one even that had me practically sobbing was when Harry was travelling through the forest and ultimately, his intended death. When his parents, Sirius, & Remus showed up and Harry said "Did it hurt?". That absolutely threw me over the edge! I thought for sure that they were there to take him to his death, and he would go with them. But alas! It all turned out to be okay in the end! I'm really glad that Harry, Ron and Hermione were all together in the end... and Dumbledore's Army still remained faithful.
    I'm still not sure whether or not I liked the "19 Years Later" bit at the end. Althouh, I realize that J.K. Rowling was trying to portray the end of the series..
    Although it was an extraordinary book, I am so incredibly sad that I can't expect another. No more books.. that is weird!

9. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Oh. my. God.
    I just finished. It's 8.30 in the morning, last night I read till 1.15 am, and then I couldn't sleep because so much was swirling inside my head... Not Fred... I had expected this cause I had made the mistake to have a look at Fanfiction.net, and yet... Gosh I cried, I had real tears falling down on my bed sheets, and I dunno why but I hardly ever cry at HP books, maybe my eyes get wet especially when Dumbledore says one of those things that really touch my heart, but this time... I had always loved the twins and Fred in particular... that was so sad...
    You're right, Lupin's and Tonk's death could have been "better", I would like to know how it happened.
    Aw I'm still in this strange state of happiness and shock at the same time, happy because it was a very nice ending, and I am so glad that in the end even Snape turned out to be good, and Percy returned, and happy because Ron and Hermione finally made it, etc. etc., and on the other hand there's this shock because well, the book was cruel, I wouldn't read it to 8 year olds, to be honest, but for me that was the fact that made it all so breath-taking. And finally, it all has come to an end, and never before have I stuck with a book series like this, I grew up with the story and it's like I was a part of their lives, wasn't I, and now it's over. It was a strange realization that came upon me when I felt the last pages beneath my hands, knowing that there will be no sequel, that this was it, that it was over for good.
    I missed some things, e.g. some more feelings about Ginny on Harry's side, I would have liked to see more of Charlie (one of the Weasley brothers in case you've forgotten, but I don't think you have;)), well and of course I'd have liked to see more about how the Weasley's reacted after Fred's death, especially George as they were, naturally, very close to each other. Although I totally loved Mrs Weasley's fight against Bellatrix, that was awesome!
    To sum it up and not make it longer than necessary (I could go on for ages about this book), I think J.K. Rowling has created a perfect book as an end for a perfect story, and this one combined everything that I loved about Harry Potter: friendship, love, action, wise words, moments of grief, moments of joy, and a puzzle that's finally been put together.
    Well, and now I can finally have a closer look at ff.net. (I've never written anything for HP, maybe now the time has come to do it..?)

Yours, (still a bit breathless and shocked) Kat

Edited for those of you who, like I, missed something after Fred's death. I've found a wonderful, sad story at ff.net: Left Behind

10. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

I absolutely LOVED Lupin, he was my absolute favourite character, so when they just killed him off and gave no explanation as to who did it, I just shouted out, "noooooooo!"

I also read about the magic being developed later in life, so I was confused about what J.K. Rowling was talking about when I had finished reading the book. I also heard that the fact that the staff have spouses would be quite important but they weren't mentioned at all :(.

It was an incredibly good book that did give me a sense of closure on the series; however, I'm not terribly sure about the naming of the kids at the end, but that's just me I suppose. :lol:

11. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Re: HP *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Yeah, the naming of the kids made it quite confusing in the end, imo. Suddenly James talking to Harry etc. I'm not so satisfied with the end, they shouldn't have made it 19 years later, I would have prefered a look at the aftermath of the battle - I mean, that wasn't some adventure holidays they all went through, that was the hell of war! Everyone did his/ her bit, always accepting the danger they were in, whether it was Harry, Ron and Hermione searching for the Horcruxes, or Neville and the other Hogwarts students rebelling against the terror, or the Weasley twins and their friends talking on the radio. I would have liked to know how they dealt with that, with the loss of beloved persons :( and the things they've seen.

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i finished it yesterday! i loved it, probably my favourite of the series.

i was really scared, because there were only two possible endings i could see. either harry kills voldemort and lives on, or they both had to die. obviously i would not have been pleased with the later. when he died, or sort of died, or whatever, i just knew that couldnt have been the end...

i was so glad snape was doing what dumbledore had wanted him to do! he was my favourite professor (maybe because in the movie hes played by alan rickman... :lol:) but everything came together so nicely, little bits and pieces from all the books. its amazing she can write so well!

the bits wondering around the forests dragged on a little, but when you think about it they were important. their revelations had to come from somewhere, and often they were putting the pieces together over a long time. it couldnt all come out of thin air!

a lot of people died that i was not happy with (including hedwig!) but i guess she was trying to reinforce the severity of the battles. although im not sure why tonks and lupin needed to have a baby just to die in the end, seemed a little too much for me.

i loved the 19 years later part. she really couldnt have ended it 'voldemort is dead, everyone lives happily ever after'. wed want to know what happens to them afterwards and that one chapter summed it up nicely (as im sure those 19 years would be a normal life and uneventful for a book ;)) obviously she couldnt give you snippets of how every single person dealt with the loss of their families and the aftermath. that would take to darn long. i am perfectly satisfied with the little tidbit about the main characters and their children, and assuming everyone else went on with life as usual. the series is truly finished.

my mom still hasnt started it yet, and i was trying to hide my facial expressions as much as possible when i finished last night :lol: although i think she might think harry dies, because when i looked at her after finishing it she said 'uh oh' :lol: but this morning my brother was being a jerk and said 'harry potter dies' and i want to shoot him down but my mom was there and i said 'nnnnnmaybe...' :lol:

13. cherryxoxoxo7

cherryxoxoxo7 Hit and Run

I really really really liked this book! :D

even with all of the deaths and stuff, it was great!

the only part that I didn't like was kind-of in the middle with harry and hermione camping...kind of boring for like 3 chapters, but after that, wow!

JKR tied all of the loose ends up really nicely, so that not much was left up to our imagination. I liked the closure in this book, i don't know about other people.

I was really sad when all of the people died, especially mad-eye in the beginning.. he wasn't my favorite character, but when i read it, i was like, "what?" he died really early. :(

i liked that snape turned out to be good....but he was kind-of stalker-ish w/ lily...lol. :devil:.

i loved the 19 years later part!!! :) i think jkr wrote it so that we would now everything was allright and things were back to normal....all of them having kids was really happy...and was a good way to end an incredibly sad book. she wrote it so that when we all look back on the book, you not only think about all of the death and sadness :(, you see the happiness and life....yeah just my thoughts. :D

14. luvspeed

luvspeed Police Officer

just a question here. am i the only one who felt really bad for Snape? i honestly liked him from the very first book. i think everybody has that teacher who they think really hates them.

15. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

^No, I felt really terrible for him, mostly because of that unrequited love that he nursed for Lily Evans Potter for all of those years. I was most impressed that Snape turned away from the Death Eaters for love of that woman, and even at the end when we thought that he was serving Voldemort, he was still working to protect Harry for the sake of his mother. However, Rowling said in an interview today that if not for Lily, Snape would have had no redeeming qualities.

Rowling also stated in that interview (on the Today Show this morning, to be continued tomorrow morning) that she could not possibly tie up all of the loose ends. Ultimately, these stories are told for the most part from Harry's perspective, so he couldn't have been everywhere at once during that battle, so we won't know exactly how Lupin and Tonks died, although we do see what happens to Fred. The best kick-butt moment of the book for me though: Molly Weasley taking out Bellatrix Lestrange.

Finally, the small snippet of interview that they aired this morning said that Harry and Ron reformed the Auror Department at the Ministry, and that Hermione was pretty high up in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. We don't know who the Minister of Magic is, but it could very well still be Kingsley Shacklebolt. We don't know who the Headmaster of Hogwarts is, but it is not McGonagall, since she was already pretty old at the time that Harry et al were at Hogwarts.

I think that the epilogue was well done. What happened after Voldemort fell? Life went on. Families were rebuilt, and the magical community continued to maintain itself separately from the Muggles. That's not to say though that another Voldemort isn't going to rear his ugly head later on, since there will always be people in the world willing to abuse power at any cost.