GIMP Help Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Dragonfly, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

This is a thread for anyone who uses GIMP.

In here, you can discuss the program, how-to's, ask questions, etc.

All of the normal board and forum rules apply in here. If you're not sure what they are, check out the Fan Art Forum Guide.

Enjoy!

2. miamifan08

miamifan08 Police Officer

Hey all!

I'm a little new to the GIMP and I wanna start making fun avvies, siggies and wallpapers! :)

Can anyone help me get started. :)

3. Hannah06_95

Hannah06_95 Police Officer

Help Needed! I'm trying to make brushes and i can't seem to get it to work! First of all i downloaded the brushs pack from deviat art then i opened it up on gimp and tried to save it as a brush i did manage to do it (although not sure how!) but when i tried to use the brush i had the image but it was in a box of a white background...now normally i know you would set it so that the background was transparent but as i downloaded this image i don't know how to do this! Thanks in advance! :)

4. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Ok I had to download GIMP since my PS crashed and I can't seem to find a good way to fix it. But I'm really having a hard time with it since I was used to PS 7.

Now, I really don't know how to use a texture with this program. With PS it was so simple thanks to the layers.
    I've been looking for any kind of help on LJ, but all the tutorials I found expect you already know how to paste the texture on the icon you want as they just explain to you how to set the layer.
    Well I don't even know how to paste the textre on my image :confused:. So, I would be really really glad and happy to know how to do it. Is there anyone who can help me? :(

5. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Go to file and open image as layer and then you can choose the texture you want to use click okay and it should come up as a new layer. Hope this helps, any questions just ask.

6. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Thanks and this is a very good first step ;).
    Now, when I open the image as a new layer it automatically pastes it over the other image. My next question is, how can I set layers? 'cause I really can't seem to find options like "set it on screen" :confused:

ETA: I found it (gosh that was so difficult), but now that I can set it no screen or overlay, I still can't see the results :confused:
    I mean it doesn't change anything. I can see the texture and I can't see the other layer under it :confused:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  7. shazza_018

lol Any other issues let me know, GIMP is complicated to use at first but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine ;).

8. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Ok I edited my previous post more than since it is driving me crazy minute by minute :lol:, so you may have not read my last problem/difficulty.

So I'm going to re-explain it ;) : now I can set it on screen or overlay or whatever the setting is, but I can't see any preview of this kind of settings and it is as if I'm doing nothing to the image b/c I still see the texture knowing that the rest of the image is right under it, but even using the ereaser...I still see the texure.
    I know I'm confusing, but I really don't know how to explain my problem :confused:

9. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Hey... is there any way to get more texts for the GIMP program? The selection it comes with is REALLY crappy.

Also, are there any text effects that I'm not seeing? Because so far it looks like the text function is pretty bland.

10. shazza_018

You can download different fonts from sites like dafont and then add em to your font folder in GIMP. If you need more help with specifics stuff let me know.

And unforntunately as far as I'm aware GIMP doesn't have any text effects but I can't say for sure cause I no longer have the program - traded it in for Photoshop ha.

11. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Thank you thank you thank you! Hooray, new fonts! *does the happy happy joy joy dance*