Episode 8x19 - 'Spring Breakdown' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

^^^ Couldn't agree more. I found that odd too. What was up with that, anyway? Emily looks very tired... I hope she is okay. That's the last thing this show needs, is for her to leave, IMO.

And I agree, Theresa, The camera work was way more busy tonight- even more so than usual. It showed Jesse with the suspect, talking, then put it on Picture and Picture and I was like... "WHERE did the sound GO?" It was a little odd.. but okay. I thought I was the only one who noticed! And the more I think about Walter, the more I get irritated. Nat should have been there.

And yes, Ryan is looking more and more amazing each week, even if they are inconsistent w/ writing his character. :lol:

2. EmilyRocks

EmilyRocks Police Officer

It was weird having Emily/Calleigh do the one liner. I think she has done it before but I'm not sure which episode.
    That's interesting that you said something about Emily seeming tired. My thoughts on that were if Emily was just getting over being really sick with a bad sore throat and her voice had just gone back to normal.

3. lizziewalker

lizziewalker Rookie

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

That was weird. The only other time she got to do that was when they thought H was dead. :lol:

Ryan did look good. :) I didn't think there was too much Walter... but it felt like there wasn't enough Horatio. :lol:

I did like that music they were playing when they were processing stuff. It was a nice beat whatever it was. I did feel though that the song at the end of the ep was a little out of place.

The girl walking through the crowds grinning like the cat that got the canary was kind of amusing... then when she got in the jail cell, it all hit her and she was upset. Yeah, it's not so much fun when the adrenaline wears off, is it girlie? :lol:

I almost agree with Travers though. I don't think those three deserved to die, but I do think they deserved some bad karma to come there way. :lol: Like someone treating them they way they treated that girl.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I thought this was a good episode. It had a good balance of investigation, team work, humour and of course Rex Linn!!

I could be wrong but this was the first episode where Frank himself interacted with the lab rats. I think that was a good touch as it acknowledges that he is part of the team and not just some limited contractor.

I didn't mind Cal saying the one liner. A nice bit of editing as it showed her saying it and Horatio appearing right afterwards. I know a lot of you hate the split screen stuff but I like it and for this episode it worked well..

I didn't mind Ryan and Tom having a go at each other. It, for the most part, acknowledges their awkward relationship from previous eps. I would for the most part call it a friendly rivalry though and Ryan seems like the type who enjoys having them

Funny moments for me include
    -All the characters showing the pictures of their respective victims at once
    -The people cheering the dummy
    -Ryan's joke about Alopecia to Frank and his subsequent reaction

The only downer was no Natalya. For once they get everyone involved and she isn't there. I really would like to know why she is absent though

Rating 3.5/5

6. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Emily's voice seemed just a tad off- like she had been sick the week earlier or something.

Anyway, I'd say the episode was average. Not great, not horrible. I'm definitely looking forward to next week to see how they're going to do this whole Calleigh-as-a-ghost thing.

7. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I did notice the tired Calleigh/Emily thing, too (not so much her voice, but in general she seemed a little drained). Hope it's nothing serious... I usually find her fun to watch, along with her interactions with Frank -- but last night, there were some long silences between them that almost reached the point of uncomfortable. Which was odd. I agree with the idea that in this episode, their particular mini-team would've benefitted with Natalia as a part of it.

8. Zipster

Zipster Witness

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well I enjoyed the investigation, although once the video was shown it was far too obvious.. I was crying out for a huge twist at the end but sadly.... I'd seen exactly the same scenario many many times before, and I really had to check to see if I had already watched this one. ;)

Character interactions as a few of you have said were good, I really like Tom but I agree with a few of you that said Ryan is out of character; especially turning off the phone before Tom had finished speaking. Old Ryan was impetuous, desperate to please, tenacious but never rude (well I don't remember him actually being that rude.).

I'm really enjoying this Season far more then I did with Season 7. This is one of the first Episodes that I thought was mediocre. If that's the first one, at Episode 19, then I have to say things could be a lot worse!

Peace :)

9. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Even though the story was a little meh (fat girl loses weight, gets revenge on those who were cruel to her--been there saw that) I liked the format of dividing the team on three different but related cases (that was well done). If tptb use this format when Adam returns full time next year, they could keep everyone.

The Good:

--Lots of Frank, working a case and interacting in the lab!! About time!!

--Mike Travers and Dave Benton.

--Ryan looked hot. He has lost his weight and looks so fit and trim. And despite the tinkering with his character yet again (see The Bad), he did get the idea that put the others on to the killer.

--Enjoyed Jesse and Ryan together. Jesse seems easy to work with; he is non-judgemental and acts as if every question no matter who stupid (and AGAIN Ryan was asking the stupid ones--see The Bad) will help solve the case.

--Horatio in the field working with Walter.

--I laughed when the spring breakers cheered at the falling dummy.

--The brainstorming with the whole team. The team concept displayed again:thumbsup:

Now The Bad:

--The stupid split screen. It was annoying and gave me a headache.

--I see they are tinkering with Ryan's character again. Why do they feel that is necessary?! I can see Ryan being so focused on the case (OCD) that he didn't have time for anything other than having his questions answered. Although he and Tom seem to have a terse relationship already, I still found his his interactions with Tom basically annoying. The parts when I got really irritated are when they had him look stupid asking the stupid questions. I know there is certain dialogue that is written in to inform the viewers what is going on and the "dummy dialogue" (sometimes in the form of questions) prompts this information, but why it is always Ryan who sets up everyone with questions that make him look like a rookie?! This is getting very old.:(:scream:

--No Natalia.

--Did we really need to see Tom peel back that woman's face?! It was a good thing I wasn't eating.

Not my favorite episode. It gets some points for the format.

10. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

Really? when did this happen? I was fixing my computer and must have turned my head. I think all three shows aren't very subtle when it comes to the ME scenes these days

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think he was talking to Calleigh at the time. It was right before Calleigh said she'd help him cast the wound.

12. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

I enjoyed that too. I love it that Ryan has someone on his team who isn't judging him all the time. It has died down a lot this season, but I have a feeling it'll be back.... :rolleyes: *cough cough*. Would love for SOMEONE to just be on his side... ONCE. Atleast ONCE!

I was eating.................... :shifty: No fun! I have to keep telling myself it wasn't real but..... :wtf:

13. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I don't like that Ryan and Tom don't get along but I am happy that Ryan gets along well with Jesse and Walter. I did notice Ryan looked like he lost weight in this episode. It was great to see the cast getting even amount of screentime, but it was disappointing that Natalia wasn't there.

Glad I'm not the only one who found that gross what Tom did.

14. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Yes. It's a forensics show (at least it's supposed to be) so I hope for and expect a few peeled faces along the way. :p

Didn't like Ryan in this one at all. Some thought Tom was being rude, others thought Ryan was being rude. My opinion is that Ryan was the obnoxious one in this episode and I'm a little tired of the character assassination. Tom's the Medical Examiner -- don't like his determination? Don't work in forensics. *shrugs* Seems as though the writers are forcing this tension a little too hard and usually I like Ryan. This week, not so much.

As for the case, I didn't see the CSI:NY episode that dealt with a similar storyline so as someone who either only regularly watches Miami or as someone who might be new to the show, I thought it was a good fit for the episode. The only problem I had with it was that the episode was a little slow.

Totally loved Frank in this episode. :D The team banter is awesome when well-written and executed. It was awesome seeing more than two people in the same scene so I hope this is the trend.

Once again Natalia was gone...is it bad that I forgot she was even on this show? I didn't particuarly miss her but thinking back, I thought "Hey! We're missing someone." I don't know what Eva's up to personally or professionally so I don't know if it was because of a scheduling issue or because the writers didn't feel the need to include her in the episode, but I'd like to see her maybe get a storyline to herself sometime next season since she's been generally MIA this season.

Didn't see the preview for next week and I probably won't unless I'm watching CTV at some point so hopefully it's a good one, from what I've read in the spoiler lab.

15. slower

slower Lab Technician

I liked that every one on the team were involved (with the exception of Natalia). This type of episode IMO may have to happen (next season) in order to accomodate all members of the team.

To be quite honest I would have done the same thing Ryan did. He has put up with so much over the past seasons with team members and their bad attitudes towards him, talking to him like he is stupid, and Tom seems to be a little too snarky IMO towards Ryan. If it were Calleigh or Jesse asking the same things, he would have been more accomodating; at least more civil. I think it is about time Ryan stands up for himself.

YEAH FRANK!!!