Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

Au contraire...

Yes, it does mention the part about scabs, but not about it being illegal. It could be done, not everyone is in the union. And it's not in the studios best interest to do it now because right now they're not losing money. They don't have to fund pilots for next year they might not even run...as it stands, the strike isn't hurting either side.

2. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

If you guys want to discuss cancelled/renewed shows, this is the best place for you. This is the Writers' Strike thread, please don't be off topic. Thanks.

3. daphne

daphne Civilian

Hi,
    I've come to appeal to those of you who wish to help support the WGA. There is a multi-fandom project going on right now designed to respond to the Moguls refusal to accept the pencils fans sent to show their support for the WGA. Click here to participate in the Pencils2Moguls Redux. All it takes is a stamp and a few minutes of your time.

CSI viewers are also continuing to target the show's advertisers, and asking them not to support struck shows with their advertising dollars. Click here to get info on this week's advertisers, Apple & T-Mobile. I have provided a template email and letter, so it should be quick and painless.

Thanks for any help you can give to either of these projects! Let me know if you need help or have questions. you can email me: daphne.dangerlove@gmail.com

thanks!
    daphne.

4. GG_Girl

GG_Girl Civilian

Daphne that is such a great idea! What a wonderful and easy way to support the writers during this difficult time. And I love the flyer!

5. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

6. faith666

faith666 Police Officer

I agree with it in principle, but overall I'm not in favour of it at all. The reason is because of the effect it's had on other people in the industry, like camera people, who don't get a great wage, and can't afford not to work. There's a lot of people not working and not getting paid which I feel is wrong. I don't like strikes in general because of these reasons. All strike action affects a lot of people who don't have a choice in the matter.

7. daphne

daphne Civilian

Yet another petition is circling...however this one is directed at Les Moonves specifically asking him what he is doing to end the strike. This was started by some Criminal Minda fans (but is not limited to them) and they would like to get 1,000 signatures so they really need our help.

**URL REMOVED** It would be awesome if CSI could make a good showing on this and maybe even help them surpass their goal of 1,000 signatures.

Thanks for your time and attention to this,
    daphne.

8. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

daphne, I've removed the link you posted because it's not allowed to link to any petitions on Talk CSI. Please re-read the board rules. Thanks.

9. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay you know what gets me all those people who didn't ask to be out of work, those who make less then the writers do and have to pay for their mortgages, feed their kids and so on. I can't honestly say who I support in this, I guess I am on the fence looking at both sides and seeing the ones stuck in the middle. Like this guy who didn't ask to be put there but was, his story alone makes me a bit mad and sad.

La Times - Strike takes its toll on one below-the-line actor

Makes me wonder how many more out there have a similar story but its not being heard. Yet you hear how everyone wants to go after Jay Leno, or the sniping back and forth, or what awards show should be allowed, who will or won't be willing to cross the picket line.

Sometimes I wonder if the celebs who join in on these strikes helps the situation or hurts it, I understand they want to support the writers and yet I don't know it just seems to me that both sides of the table are just being so dang stubborn that those in the middle like 'Gil Smith' are paying the ultimate price and those involved seem to be either blind to that fact, don't care or I honestly don't know.

Hopefully this strike ends soon, and every stubborn person is satisfied with what they got (though I doubt that) because alot of people are paying the price and for some it would seem to me from what I have read its a price that is just plain way too high.

Disclaimer: This is just my thought/opinion take it for what its worth. ;)

10. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I believe there are some misconceptions on exactly how much these writers make. None of them make that much money, not much more than most of us do in year.

It is a rare thing if a writer makes $100,000 or more a year. So a lot of these writers are going to be struggling to pay their bills, as well.

However, I really do feel for the others who were forced out of work for this strike. I believe there have been some funds (donations) setup to help these people.

Then again, if there were no writers than NO ONE would have a job in the first place, just like without the other workers the writers wouldn't have a job, etc.

I don't think the AMPTP reasons for not giving the increase is valid either.

I just hope this ends soon, for everyone involved!

11. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Even if most writers "only" make $100,000, that's still more than the average TV viewer makes per year, and it's certainly more than the hapless set builder earns. Maybe if the Guild had stuck to its originally stated goals-increased residuals and an agreement on Internet distribution-I could get behind them, but they've spent so much time waving their mighty peens at the Golden Globes and deriding Jay Leno for having the mental acumen to write his own material that I no longer care about them and their SUV lifestyle.

If they can't be arsed to focus on the issues that matter and are ruining thousands of lives, then they're obviously not starving to death and don't give a wet fart about those who are. So to hell with them and their "great" cause.

12. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I feel bad for the ones that are stcuk in the middle of it too. But, if you make $100,000 a year and you are complaining for more, then that is not right. Both of my parent put together don't make that much money a year. They could barely afford Christmas this year too. I would love to have some of theose writers and actors salaries.

13. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

I really supported the strike when it first started, but now I'm so bored with it and think its focus is totally lost. I totally agree that both sides are being too stubborn (and childish), and a compromise just doesn't seem possible. There's something I really don't like about these writers - their bullying attitude toward those who don't go their way, such as the few talk show hosts that have gone back to the studios.

And I still believe the main reason why actors are supporting this is that SAG and AMPTP are going to negotiate for their new contract later this year. Even Alan Rosenberg admitted that it's one of their main concerns.

14. Boa_Vista_Fan

Boa_Vista_Fan Rookie

Absolutely.

One thing that can always be expected when a union is striking is that the other unions will stand by it, usually because of their own contracts. If there ever comes a point where another union has to strike for whatever reason, they want support from their brothers and sisters. The same thing happened a few months ago over here with Broadway when the stagehands (Local One) were striking. Actors' Equity and Local 802 (the musicians' union) sided with the stagehands, refused to enter the theaters, and even picketed with them.

I'm not saying that the only reasons why the unions ban together is because of other possible strikes in the future, but that's always a part of it.

I'm not sure if this should be posted here, but it seemed relevant so I'm going for it.

A friend of mine just showed me a video that, in a way, supports the writers. I can't really explain it. It's full of hilarity and I'm sure you'll all get a kick out of it.

Murder Unscripted

15. Charity

Charity Police Officer

It's not that I don't still see the writer's point, because I do. But it has been long enough. I am sick to death of even hearing about it. Mostly because it doesn't really seem like either side is giving even a centimeter. There will never be a resolution if both sides don't make some consessions. That's how negotiations work.