CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Solving Crime in the Empire City

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

Re: CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Solving Crime in the Empire

about 4 hours ago via UberTwitter

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

:shifty:

At this point it looks like Mac is going to have to choose between multiple love interests this season, but Hawkes can't get one? That just ain't right.

3. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Whoa, first Shane, now Peyton. Who's next? Louie would be cool if you ask me. :D But poor Sheldon, they were saying he would get someone for the entire season, whenever it was asked. Indeed, Mac gets various women, but Hawkes didn't get a single one over all the years.

4. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

I don't mind that they bring old guest stars back. It worked out well with Pino. And we have had some episodes where the CSI team has chased the same perp (in a couple of episodes). I mean, it took some time before they finally got Shane, cab killer and the compass killer. The same with Drue (I think his name was Drue anyway, the one who brought gifts to Stella and later chased Mac. If chase is the right word. The 333-dude).

So it is going to be nice to see Shane back. I am still unsure about Peyton though. At the moment, it just feels weird. But I guess I am a bit frustrated as Mac gets all the love this season. While Adam and Sheldon who were supposed to get some love, they get nothing at all.

5. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

...doh. :( Kinda crappy. But it does sound they've been using all the lulls and breaks in airing this season to pack in as much as possible toward the end of the season with regards to Stella, Flack, Sheldon and Mac getting stuff devoted to them, and DL features in the finale. Too bad they couldn't have paced it all out a bit more to fit it in.

But, I suppose it's also better that it could get proper treatment and that it's not gonna be pared down and done half arsed just to find a two-minute corner for it this season. Something to look forward to next season. I'd be far more peeved if Sheldon wasn't getting an episode that deals with his sister and also puts him in a pressure cooker. Only a mild mollification tho.

Where Adam's concerned, I'd first love to see him more frequently and not on the random merry go round of appearances. That's been frustrating as it is.

Thanks for sharing that. Was something I'd long been looking forward to and wondering what was up. Good to know.

6. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

Aww, Drue, so cute :lol: It means the same as Grape in norwegian. :) Me thinks you meant Drew ^^.

I don't mind that either, bringing back the old characters is awesome! I'm glad they are coming back!

I agree. I get it, Mac is the 'big man' and Gary is famous and everything, but, really? I mean, REALLY?! Come on! He gets everything on this show! Storylines, love interests etc. :shifty: It's unfair...

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

hmm i have nothing to add except that i pretty much agree with elwood's entire post! and that last para read like a spoof of a soap :D

8. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Yeah, I agree. It has been very frustrating. Especially as Adam is my favourite character. But at the same time, I know that AJ Buckley has been busy with other projects, so I have accepted that he has been missing a lot this season and not been in many episodes so far.

But they still had a storyline for Adam, and I hate that they didn't stick to it.

Hahaha, norwegian is a funny language. As I am from Sweden, I understand norwegian pretty well. Some norwegian words are very hilarious. But that's off topic. We can always talk about it in a pm, if you wanna continue that discussion.

But yeah, it was Drew that I meant. I was so unsure about the name. So I was just guessing, and Drue was the first name/word that popped into my head.

But once again, he has always been the main character. Stella/Melina gets a lot of attention/screen time too. It's nothing new. But that's why I hated when Mac became the hostage in the season 4 finale. We knew he wouldn't get hurt, just because Mac is the main character. So that cliffhanger was ridiculous.

That's why I want to see other characters to get more focus. Especially Sid and Adam. But that's another off topic discussion, and no spoiler.

9. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought I read that Aubry had only threee episodes that she appeared in and if that is the case this episode would be after the three.

How about they "blast" us with Louie!:lol:

I totally agree on that!:rolleyes: I hope Mac is practicing "safe Sex" Maybe the prilocaine ointment that Danny found at the crime scene in "No good deed" is workin for em!...winky winky:lol:

10. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

CSI: NY is a procedural show, but it's the most blatantly main character centric show I've ever seen. I get that Gary Sinise is a big gun, and so is Mark Harmon in NCIS. NCIS is Gibbs centric of course, but not like CSI: NY is with Mac. :rolleyes:

I want Louie back, and Sam too. But Danny and Flack are not Mac. They brought back Reed because he is Mac's dead wife's son(at least I think). :(

:guffaw: It's like seeing a man version of Carrie Bradshaw. :guffaw:

11. lilmzhappy

lilmzhappy Witness

I was yelling at the monitor lol... Is yelling against the rules... if so my apollogies

12. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

Totally agreed! Everytime I watch NCIS, I think about that. *sigh*

13. raymakay

raymakay Dead on Arrival

I couldn't agree more and it's funny I think the same thing watching NCIS. I like Gary Sinise and the character Mac and realize he is the star but does every show have to be soooo Mac in-your-face. He really is super Mac. There is not a subject he doesn't know something about and it irritates me! IMO New York has one of the best cast of characters but they don't get to shine on their own much because even if the episode somewhat centers around them, in the end Super Mac is still the one to save the day.

14. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

So, I kind of figured that's what had happened, but it sucks to actually have it confirmed. Nothing against the Mac/Aubrey pairing, but how necessary is it to S6 right now? It's not like Mac hasn't had a revolving-door policy when it comes to LIs for four seasons straight, he's gotten his share of action; why shaft plans already in the making for another one?

On the other hand, I was more interested in Sheldon's sister-prison-cousin storyline than in potential LIs anyway, so as long as they're keeping that I'm good.:lol:

For the most part, I agree with all this. But from what I've noticed with a few of the TV-dramas I watch, is that especially when the "main" star is a fairly well-known movie star, they're the ones that tend to be featured heavily; maybe because there's an assumption that most of the public is tuning in to see them. Even if it's supposed to be a team-centric show. NCIS, imo, is a huge example of this, along with Bones (although that gets a pass, because they at least make it obvious in the title who you can expect to see featured :lol:). And all things considered, CSI:NY handles it pretty fairly. Not as well as CSI handled it, because the focus was spread far more evenly on that show (in the earlier seasons, anyway). But it does a lot better than others.;)

15. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Guess I don't see things in entirely the same way as some, though I get where many of you are coming from :p.

Well, Adam did start the season off with Stella in his bedroom :lol: that's gotta count fer something :p. I'm also thinking that the character of Haylen, had she stuck around longer as a new recurring, would have become Adam's flirtation, if nothing else. Hawkes had already been teasing him. Plans for that may have been lost when the season evolved and Haylen was given a belated exit via the FBI reference. He's still the character that got the most material for her involvement either way.

It is disappointing that Sheldon's romantic arc wasn't realized, but at least he is still getting some good stuff coming up.

I think NCIS is the exception to the rule in what it's managed to achieve so well and so consistently over the years. It's also one of my favourite shows. :) (I think it hit a slight lull in it's fourth and fifth seasons as well, and has upped it's game even more since then).

...But. What. Sooooooo, you're telling me, for example, that Danny didn't get shot to start the season, and have an ongoing road to recovery. That it wasn't Sheldon, and in her own way, Lindsay, who gave Messer a kick in the pants on the way. Related, that Carmine didn't take the same opportunity that Gary and Melina did in previous seasons to write an ep and follow it thru. That Flack didn't have a multi-ep, extended disintegration that culminated not in Mac saving him but Terence. That Flack won't be featured prominently in 6.20's Unusual Suspects. That Stella didn't get to pull a page out of Mac's book and storm into a courtroom as the main figure swaying how the investigation and trial were to proceed, that she hasn't come across as more supervisory, even essentially running the show in eps like Uncertainty. That she won't be getting an upcoming ep that's big for her character in 6.18 (where she has yet another near-death experience :p). That Sheldon didn't have an ep centered around his personal financial crisis due to fraud. That he's not in fact gonna be the one trapped in the prison with one character to reveal something more of the loss of his sister and another who's being brought back to the show to feature in the finale. That it hasn't been revealed that there will be a Danny/Lindsay twizt featuring in the End-Of-Season Cliff-Hanger.

...Yes, Mac gets material. And yes, I definitely get where yer all coming from where Mac's soap box and inherent personality as purveyor of justice etc. gets its own parking space :lol::p. I do, really I do :lol:. I think there's more to him than being the Moral Man In An Immoral City, and that the writers could do better by him with regards to certain things. But honestly, I can't say as I think the show has exactly neglected everyone else this season. ;)

I think S6 hasn't been NY's best season, but, lord, of all people, it's been Hill who's been consistently championing the writers, their work, and the show this year :).

The characters who have had the least material devoted to them are the ones on the revolving door of appearances, Lindsay. Adam, and Sid. If they were in more episodes they might get more depth to their material. With Sid in particular, the show does seem to be looking for more ways to use him, when they do have him in.

Curious. ...the only one Mac's actually been in a relationship with is Peyton, and a newly burgeoning one in Aubrey (whom I still think was likely brought in not to be just a generic LI for it's own sake, which would have felt random at this point in the season; she was likely intended to or had evolved into being used specifically to up the stakes with the twizt of Peyton being back in NYC once that story became viable. There's a plot attached to that one, after all). I don't count asking the deputy inspector to a cup of coffee as a relationship :p. Other than that, there's been more hinted at than there's been literal depiction of or substantial air time devoted to, from what I recall. Has there? (Y'all are much better at recalling particulars from episodes than I seem to be :p).

If there's been a relationship oversaturation over the past four seasons, you damn well know which one I'm gonna point to. Starts with D. Ends with L. Will admit that's been, outside a few moments, reasonably innocuous this year. ;)

Stella was also supposed to have had a certain direction with her character that didn't seem to have been realized. I get the impression a lot of varied plans got altered thru the course of the season. Felt very fluid. Do wonder what was going on behind the scenes, or if this was just a typical ebb and flow. Or mebbe there were more practical considerations, for example, of people they'd wanted to cast being unable to reconcile availability and schedules, etc. Who knows why plans were changed, or what led to stories being morphed or set aside. Only so much airtime to pack it all in.

If Sheldon had lost this storyline I'd have been seriously pissed. This is a whole episode centred around him. It sounds like it's gonna be good.

I do agree that CSI has handled that sort of thing well. I think Criminal Minds does pretty well too, is quite an ensemble oriented show. NCIS is good that way too, but there's no doubt whatsoever who the anchor is, and fair enough. Harmon's in the bulk of scenes, even if it's just to keep the episode moving. I very much doubt he sees the inside of his trailer as often as the rest get to see theirs :lol:. Gibbs is the boss, it makes sense papasmurf is around more than the others. Same in NY. Mac runs the damn labs ferchrissakes :lol:. Unless they handcuff him to his desk and lock the glass door to his office, he is gonna get material. (And even then. He'd probably just blow the place up to break out :p).

I think NY actually does reasonably well. The proportion of material and focus was also no doubt different when they had an A and B case going simultaneously, but they don't seem to do multi-case eps anymore. Everyone likes what they like, will want more of this and a bit less of that as their preference.

For me, it still sounds like the remaining episodes will be very dense and with lots of good material spread around. I'm looking forward to them ;).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.