PLEASE READ: A Reminder About Hotlinking

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Hey guys, I just want to make sure we're clear on image posting rules. If an image is from a site not your own--like TV Guide or CSI Caps or something like that--please do not post the image directly from that site! It's called hotlinking and it steals bandwidth, which the sites do not appreciate.

You can:

1. Upload the picture to your own site (Photobucket, Image Shack, your own personal website if you have one) and post it as an image from there. I believe Photobucket and Image Shack both offer free accounts.

2. Post the image as a link [ url ] tags rather than [ img ].

In other words, if the site isn't yours, don't use image tags. I know this isn't something we've talked about much in here, so I wanted to make sure you're all aware of it! Thank you. :cool:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Read and understood. :)

As a clarification though, I think it's possible to hotlink with a 'url' tag as well--if the link leads to just the picture, not the webpage where the picture is located, it's hotlinking, right? I didn't know about that for a while, and if it's the case I thought it would be good to mention it.

I'll try to use Photobucket for an example:

Hotlinking*

Not hotlinking

*Which is the point of Photobucket anyway, but I don't have a webpage of my own to use as an example instead. :lol: Pretend the image is on a regular website and not Photobucket. ;)

3. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

So once I've uploaded a pic to my Photobucket page, do I post it here using the img tag or the url tag?

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Read and understood Top. :)

Well that wouldn't technically be hotlinking because you're using a link rather than posting the actual image, therefore not using their bandwidth. But I consider it to be courtesy that if you want to post a link, you post it to the actual website rather than simply the image on the website, I'm sure it's what most website owners would prefer too. :)

IMG tags are fine from Photobucket, or any of the similar photo sharing websites. As long as the image isn't really big, as that might stretch the screen, a link (url) is usually better in those circumstances. ;)

5. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Thanks, Elsie.:)

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

It's all really confusing. :lol: The way I see it, posting a link that only shows the image is pretty much the same as posting the image itself--it might not take away as much bandwidth (maybe?), but you're still only seeing the image and not the site it's posted on...

I really have no idea. Yay Photobucket! :lol:

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Hotlinking is just posting the image when it's not on a site you own or a hosting site. It's just about bandwidth. The other issue (linking to a site rather than just an image from the site) is one of courtesy, and well, it's always good to be polite. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  8. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Read and understood.

As a web designer who hosts a site which hosts images (tongue twister!), I really don't appreciate when people hotlink.

Those who do link to Photobucket, Imageshack, Imagevenue or whatnot, those are great sites to use and are free!

9. NOLAGRRL

NOLAGRRL Witness

Read and understood! There are too many free photo hosting sites out there that there shouldn't be a need to clog up the bandwidth so everyone can't see the pretty.

10. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

Got it! I think...I only post pics from Photobucket anyways. But that's more because it's all I really know how to do. ^_^' not so good with the computers.