Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology class?]

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Guest, May 1, 2005.

1. allmaple

allmaple Judge

Re: Have you ever dissected an animal? [like in biology clas

unless youre a vet when would you ever cut up live animals? ;)
    i know there were people petitioning in my vertebrate structure class for alternatives to dissection, but i didnt sign it. honestly, the virtual examples are ideal situations. and when is anything ever ideal in nature? :) i know just because i found something in the picture in my lab book didnt mean i was going to find it in the animal. :lol: especially with our shark, their inside bits are in completely different places than what we expected.

2. CSI_Duquesne01

CSI_Duquesne01 CSI Level Two

It sounds cool. I bet it's really fun. Why would people be squeamish about it? It is still kind of gross like the real thing?

3. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Meh. In some area's I suppose. Don't get your hopes up. ;)
    When I dissected the heart, it was totally different to the diagrams we were given.

4. CSIannalysse

CSIannalysse CSI Level Two

I dissected my first pig's kidney last week in triple science! I was so proud of myself because I get really squeamish and always faint when it comes to blood, arteries, veins and the heart. However, I was absolutely fine with the kidney, not too sure why :lol:

I guess because it was decomposing in my hands it didn't really resemble a kidney anyway, I also seem to be fine with decomposing organs as long as it has nothing to do with the circulatory system. :D

5. PsyKay

PsyKay Dead on Arrival

Weirdly enough i've never dissected an animal, but i'm a medical intern and i've dissected human bodies, both dead or alive :eek:!!! What always bugs me in TV shows is that nobody in the morgue ever seem disturbed with the smell, and god knows even frozen dead bodies smell...

6. flacksgirl

flacksgirl Hit and Run

I have dissected two fetal pigs and of course the stereotypical frog. Plus an earthworm. The pig was fun but it got really smelly after about the third week. It was in a college lab class so we only met once a week for about three hours. We dissected the same pig for about eight weeks. Wow that thing smelled bad at the end. I was the one in my group that dove right in. I wanted to be the one cutting. Wow that sounded bad but the girls in my group were all squeelly and squeemish. I found it fascinating.

7. SpeedyMeg25

SpeedyMeg25 Coroner

I've had the pleasure of dissecting two fetal pigs, one frog, and about six earthworms so far. And I still have a year of high school and all of college yet. I also dissected an owl pellet, but I guess that's not really an animal.
    My dad is friends with the local medical examiner, so I almost got to sit in on an autopsy one time. I got sick a few days before I was supposed to go and see it, so my mom wouldn't let me go. But the offer still stands, so maybe one day I'll get to.

8. dongpeiyen1000

dongpeiyen1000 Prime Suspect

My class is dissecting frogs this week! I'm looking forward to it although I'm not sure if I'll get squeemish or not...

Over here we put the frogs in containers containing chloroform, then dissect them alive. :eek:

9. CSIangelface

CSIangelface Dead on Arrival

oooooo! i haven't yet :mad: but im taking biology so i will soon ;]]

10. flacksgirl

flacksgirl Hit and Run

Frogs aren't that bad. My high school disected cats in Anatomy Physiology class. Students would meow when they walked past the classroom. It was funny to watch. I was glad I wasn't in the class.

11. BigRed3205

BigRed3205 Civilian

I haven't dissected anything but does anybody know where you are able to practice dissecting cadavors?? I know you can take classes on it but I'm not sure where to start..

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i know at my university you have to be in biomed or human kinetics major in order to take the cadaver course. and even then the instructor has to sign you in. i dont think there are courses that just anyone can take, it has to be part of a university program.

13. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

For my forensics course that I am starting in September, I have been told we will work with dead pigs and flies, (a la SLL) and will be dissecting a rat or two!
    I can't wait!

14. body_farm

body_farm Dead on Arrival

at high school-fish (that was pathetic..), some mollusc, starfish (nothing to cut..), lungs, brain. now i'm studying biology and we haven't had many dissection-few frogs (it's all about money..)and some minor animals.

15. CSIangelface

CSIangelface Dead on Arrival

i cant wait :] i just want to see the look on the other girls faces! lmao!