Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Desertwind, Apr 2, 2010.

1. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I watch either CBS, ION, or The Weather Channel. The only promo's I ever see for CSI are at the end of an episode (if a new ep is airing the next week) and during Criminal Minds the hour before CSI is on. CBS hasn't promoted CSI all that much since before the Langston era. CBS prefers to promote what they think we should be watching and a show in it's 13th season isn't it!

CSI's main problem is most likely the 10pm timeslot. It may have been good enough for 10pm in earlier seasons but it isn't now. Exile was the first time I stayed awake for the entire episode since Fallen Angel - and that was to see Sam. :bolian: (The last time I watched without switching channels was probably around season 10! :alienblush: )

To me the only good crossover for CSI was Cross Jurisdictions because it was one episode with both casts in it. Every other "crossover" was really nothing more than a guest appearance for the one person crossing over.

Susan

2. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

I watch a sh!tload of CBS, and they have a regular rotation of promos for all of its series. For example, they begin the promos for their Monday comedies during the Thursday comedies. As for CSI, they usually start promoting it during H50, and actually, I have seen more promos for CSI this year than I have for Criminal Minds.

I wouldn't worry about the ratings too much this week. Valentine's Day fell on Thursday, and with people going out to dinner and shopping for their significant others, the nets knew that viewership was going to be lower for the end of the week. You also need to keep in mind that CBS did some weird experiment with Survivor this week where it had been scheduled for a two-hour episode for a couple of months, and then, they cut it to 90 minutes last week and decided to air a TBBT repeat at 9:30, which tanked in the ratings and I'm sure adversely affected CSI's numbers. (I think Survivor may be moving to Sundays, and CBS was testing its producers to see if they could quickly edit an episode to downsize it in the event there is a really late football overrun.)

At this point, I'm not worried about the show. I am sure that CBS will keep it on Wednesday at 10:00 for at least one more season. There are other spots on the schedule (Tuesday at 10:00, Monday at 8:30, and Sundays) that require much more attention. However, if anyone is a fan of CSI NY, I wouldn't hold my breath. The show's a goner, especially if the new series, Golden Boy, does reasonably well.

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

You can't say for sure it's over yet. But both shows need better promotion. Though when I still watched one or two other CBS shows,I recall a few regular CSI promos. The TV guides ought to mention it more often too.

4. monketsharona

monketsharona Police Officer

I wish NY will have a new season but I'm pretty sure CBS won't renew it :s
    If they do, season 10 will be the last (and I would not be suprised to see a shortened season (between 13 or 16 episodes)
    I think CSI Vegas will have a new season with 22 episodes (ratings are still very good for at 10:00 and Criminal Minds/CSI makes CBS win each Wednesday night)

5. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Could it also be that maybe people still don't know that CSI: has changed nights?

EDIT: Yeah, CBS could do a better promotion of both shows.

6. MacsGirlMel

They ought to do the shows back to back on the same night.

7. monketsharona

monketsharona Police Officer

I don't know CSI Vegas and Criminal Minds are doing great ratings together ;)

8. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

Agreed! There is no reason to break up the pairing at this point. If anything, this week's ratings may have proven that CBS really needs Criminal Minds on the night, because whenever it is preempted, the ratings for all of the other shows drop.

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

No doubt they make a good pairing. The only 'reason' I could see to move CSI is if they wanted to promote a new crime show drama after CM. it will happen sooner or later.

10. blackflag

11. MacsGirlMel

They could still have NY with the other two.

Im waiting to see what next week's ratings bring.

12. blackflag

Ratings for Last Women Standing
    Chicago Fire won in the demo, CSI won in overall viewers.

Susan

13. MacsGirlMel

That sounds like a big drop.

14. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

Can't believe it was beat by Chicago Fire in the demo. These ratings drops can't be good.

15. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

Wow, awful ratings. If I were a betting man I'd say CSI will be on Friday next year.