Sela/Jo Thread #1 "I'm Jo Danville. I didn't do it."

Before the Scene with Sela Ward
by AJ BUCKLEY on OCTOBER 5, 2011
Before the Scene is where we all start. In a small town with our families. In front of a mirror with our friends. The days spent sleeping on a couch. The nights working at a bar. Living the unknown and surrounded by uncertainty. It’s about the times that define us. It’s about the just darkness before the limelight.

Sela Ward is a veteran actress who has twice received the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series, first for her role as Teddy Reed on Sisters and then as Lily Brooks Manning on Once and Again. She now stars as Jo Danville on CSI: NY.

What made you become an actor?
I really hadn’t found my passion yet and I had moved to New York City. I was drawing up storyboards at an audio/visual production company. Somebody said, “You should model.” And the very first things I started doing were TV commercials. And to really try to hold my own when there were other actors in the spot, I started taking acting lessons to help me get confidence for that. One-on-one I was fine but the moment you had another actor come in, it would just disappear. So I took this class and it was just like I had dropped into this magical world. Like a little club. And we all did each other’s sets for showcases and worked on everything from costumes to props and did plays as showcases to get agents and we would go out after for a beer and a burger. It was just like nothing I’d ever quite imagined.

What was your biggest fear?
Then? I didn’t really have a fear then (laughs). I was fear-less! So much so that, after being offered a daytime spot on one of the daytime soaps, I said, ‘This is not what acting is about for me. I want to go to L.A.’ So I hopped on a plane, checked into a hotel and said, ‘Okay I’m here.’ And had the name of an agent. Had to go there. Had to jump through hoops and do monologues for the agent, and monologues for the other agents in the office and they finally decided to give me a shot.

What was your lowest point?
When it was pouring down rain – there were phone booths then, there were no cell phones – I went in for an audition for a show called Emerald Point N.A.S. and I had the sides I had studied the night before and when I got there the casting person said, “Here are the new sides.” And it was ten pages of something I hadn’t seen. And I was too green to say, you know, “Sorry, let me go work on this. I’ll come back tomorrow or another time or call my agent.” I thought, ‘Okay well I can do this. I did co-reading class in New York, I know how to do this.’ So I sat and looked at it for about ten minutes and I go in, I deliver the first line. The casting person is sitting in front of me and all the producers are behind her – they can’t see her face – I asked to start over because I’d just sort of gotten frazzled. She looks at me, rolls her eyes, glances over at her assistant like, ‘Who is this neophyte sitting in front of me.’ You might as well have just said, “You know what, honey? Go home.” It was so devastating because it was just so incredibly cruel and humiliating. It’s pouring down rain, I walk out, I go to a phone booth, I’m just sobbing hysterically, called this friend and said, “I’m going back to New York, it’s just horrible here.” But the greatest revenge was that they cast it and they didn’t like who they cast. So they had a totally different casting director and I go back in for the same role and I get the part. Isn’t that incredible?

What was it that kept you from walking away?
There’s always been this inner piece of me at my core that said, ‘I can do this. I’m gonna prove to myself and the world that I can do this.’ I can’t even tell you how many times people of power would say things to me that were extraordinarily discouraging. And I’d pick myself back up and I’d just keep charging back out there. So much so, that I was working on Nothing in Common with Tom Hanks. That was like my second big part. I was very green. I’ll never forget, Peggy Fury – she’s passed away since then – well known acting coach here in Los Angeles. Had a huge following. And so I’m paying her to coach me, I go to meet her one day right before we’re about to go to work and she looks at me and she goes, “I’m just not quite sure how you got this part. My daughter would have been so much better for this role.” And this is the kind of stuff that would happen to me over and over again. And in that Southern way, I would just look at her and kind of laugh, and disconnect it from the fact that this was the most atrocious thing she could possibly say to me and I’m paying her! Talk about undermining my self-confidence. I just fiercely had this belief in myself and kept going back out there.

What did you walk away from?
I walked away from just being in a space of trying to figure out and find who I was and what I wanted to be. I knew I wanted to be in New York. I’d figured out how to get there. But I hadn’t really found where I was supposed to be and what I was supposed to be doing in that city in a way that was fulfilling.

Who was your closest ally?
Myself. Because I didn’t really have any connections. It really was just my inner strength and shear will and determination.

What were you doing before the morning of the audition that changed your life?
I had been here, checked into that hotel, for two weeks and somebody says, “I know a part that hasn’t been cast in this Blake Edwards film.” And she picked up the phone and called him. It was The Man Who Loved Women. I go over there and I meet with Blake. He reads with me and puts the script down and says, “Okay, you got the part.” He put the script down halfway through the scene and for that one beat, I was devastated, thinking, ‘Oh I must have just really sucked.’ And when he looked at me and said, “Okay you got the part,” I just…it was just one of those moments frozen in time where everything flies through your head at once like, ‘Oh my God, this is with Burt Reynolds, who was huge at the time, I just got here and this is Blake Edwards,’ and I think I took a breath for a minute, maybe.

What words kept you going?
Well the first thing that popped into my head is, when I was younger, I was talking to Dr. Apperson, the pastor of our church, and I remember I had asked him a question about achieving things in life and he said to me, “Yes, I think anyone can accomplish anything. It’s just a matter of what you’re willing to compromise.”

How have you changed?
Well, I’m not afraid anymore. I certainly have much stronger boundaries and a much stronger sense of self preservation. Not to put myself in positions that would compromise me.

What words to do you to inspire others?
Don’t wait for someone to give you permission in life. Don’t wait for someone to give you permission in life to do anything.

Can you tell us about Hope Village for Children?
It’s a home for abused and neglected children that I founded in the year 2000. We serve about 300+ kids a year that go through there. Wards of the state. It’s an emergency abuse shelter and a permanent shelter that kids that don’t make it in the foster care system can stay there and thrive and have continuity. Which is actually a wonderful thing! Anyone interested in learning more can visit the website at www.hopevillagems.org.

source: http://scenelouisiana.com/before-the-scene-with-sela-ward/2011/10/

Just saw the interview, thank you Ollie! :) Sela just rocks ;). I laughed so hard at the Pepsi/Coca-Cola story. I feel exactly the same way ;).

The clip at the beginning was great. I liked Adam's comment about not everyone being able to pull off overalls :lol:. He's right, too.

Actress Sela Ward Takes Time To Show Others The Basics of Forensics At New CSI Exhibit

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - Sela Ward stepped into the CSI exhibit at the Franklin Institute and instantly “Jo Danville”, the character she plays on “CSI: N.Y.”, came out.

“Well, the first thing you have to look for is blood splatter,” she said as she surveyed crime scene number one. “It is an interesting, fascinating career.”

She’s not talking about acting. She’s talking about life as a crime scene investigator.

The CSI exhibit, titled “CSI: The Experience”, consists of three crime scenes. The first is a mock up of a car crash. A late model sedan has slammed through a wall and landed in the middle of someone’s living room. The exhibit encourages visitors to search for clues and “solve the crime”.

Though Ward can rattle off CSI type jargon with ease, she confessed that understanding all that medical terminology was a real challenge in the beginning.

“To wrap my brain around dismemberment and blood splatter patterns and petechial hemorrhage in one eye. I was like, ‘oh my God, where have I landed?’”

She admits after reading her first “CSI: N.Y.” script, she tearfully told her husband it would be impossible to memorize. Ward has mastered the language now.

The second crime scene at the exhibit is of a dead waitress lying by a garbage can. A ripped photo is next to her. Ward jokingly launches into dialogue that her character on “CSI: N.Y.” might deliver.

“Well that poor actress, a waitress, her demise, trying to earn money for her career. The head shot, 8 by 10, glossy, torn in half, ripped apart. Why?”

She admits working on “CSI: N.Y.” has developed her eye for detail. She watches the news differently now, always trying to solve the mystery. Some judges have called that the CSI factor, the way shows like “CSI” have fooled viewers into believing they can “close the case” in 60 minutes.

Ward consults with working Crime Scene Investigators for the show and she knows it takes a lot longer than that to close a murder case. She says the show can certainly be informative but what she likes more than that is that CSI has made science sexy and she’s glad to play a role in that.

The CSI Exhibit at the Franklin Institute runs though January 2nd.

Reported by Anne-Marie Green, CBS 3

Source: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/10/07/actress-sela-ward-takes-time-to-show-others/

sela.jpg

Sela Ward

Despite two Emmys, a Golden Globe, a long list of silver screen credits and three major roles in popular television series, Sela Ward will likely always feel Mississippi tugging at her heart.
“Fame is a funny thing,” she says, from her home in California. “When I'm in Mississippi, someone will say, 'Hey, Sela!' and my brain starts going a mile a minute wondering if that person is a friend of my mama's – then I'll realize that they know me from TV. Southerners are so familiar with each other, and people are really very kind to me.”
The CSI:NY star is used to fans stopping her to acknowledge their appreciation of her work. When in Mississippi, though, celebrity has a slightly different feel.
I have that wonderful middle-level of celebrity. I wouldn't wish that Tom Cruise level on anyone.”
When she's not taping her character role, Detective Jo Danville, an expert on psychological profiling, she's home in Mississippi enjoying the quiet and beauty on the gentle rolling hills of her farm located just outside of Meridian.
“Going home is always like getting a big hug with a warm blanket. You crawl back into that cocoon with a sense of memories and a sense of community and history and family,” she says. “You can only get that from your roots, and that's something that really ads a lot to my life. Those experiences are very personal for me – a very important piece in my life that has continuity to it, and it ads to my well-being.”
Her children, Austin, 17, and Anabella, 13, have romped on the farm since they were born.
“They don't know life without going there,” she said. “It's part of their own painting, and it enhances who they are.”
Whether in state or out, Ward remains close to Hope Village for Children, a home for abused and neglected children, she organized in 2002. When home, she visits with the children there and works tirelessly for funding, “to enhance the quality of their lives, and it's thriving. It's going fantastic but getting funding is always a challenge because it's funded partly by state and federal money and half from private donations.”
That real-life role resonates with Ward in her CSI:NY character, who adopted a young teenager after putting her mother in jail for life. The role explores the emotional and psychological challenges of raising an adopted daughter and in one particular scene last season, Ward's character was criticized for adopting her daughter out of “guilt.”
Ward says the role has been an adjustment and a particular challenge since she is used to the family-drama of Sisters and Once and Again, where character roles are well developed and scripts are written around relationship issues. Being able to use her native Southern accent helps, she says.
“It's been an adjustment because I've never done a role like this. It's a procedural show, not a relationship drama where you get into all the emotions of the characters,” she says. “Instead of being about characters, it's about solving a mystery. There's a lot of new lingo. It's challenging to develop a character when you don't have the dialogue to support that – but I am having fun with it. It's much more challenging than I thought it would be.”
Ward has signed on for this season – to premiere Sept. 23 on CBS – and for next season as well if the show is picked up again.
Ward says the role is yet another in a long line of accomplishments she still has trouble believing she's achieved.
“I walk around on the sound stage and wonder how I even got here from Meridian, Miss., coming from a non-entertainment family,” she says with a giggle. Ward has worked alongside Tom Hanks, Harrison Ford, Kevin Costner, Dennis Quaid and George Clooney, to name a few.
And for all her stunning credentials, Ward credits her Southern heritage as the most prevalent and positive aspect driving her career.
“The South is like a country within a country, and that experience makes what I have to bring to the screen so richer,” she says. “That slice of my Mississippi experience, what I'm able to bring to my performance, has made the difference in my career. It's something you cannot buy, that you can only read about. I love that part of who I am.”

Source: http://mississippilegends.com/articles/sela/index.html

Last edited:
Wow that's a really, really great pic. Do you know when it was taken?

No I don't. All I know is that it was posted on her FB page today with the included comment. I'd like to know when, too.

ETA: I asked in the comments for the photo. I'll post the response if I get one.

Last edited:
Oh, I LOVE this session! One of my favourites with Sela. It was taken for In Style, in October 2005.

source

:adore::adore::adore:

Ugh, she's just stunning.

Thanks for the articles & photos.

It's nice to read interviews with Sela and get her take on things; I don't know much of her, but she seems really comfortable in herself, a really genuine, grounded, but also really fun person :).

As for the photos, nice to know what the shoot was for, and when. Some of the shots, she does look so iconic in, the b/w especially. But I think these two:

...are my favorites. Fantastic smile, and I mean, just, ...dang :p:luvlove::cool:. Not to mention I think they're great just as photos to boot, even if I didn't know who she was.

Wow that's a really, really great pic. Do you know when it was taken?

No I don't. All I know is that it was posted on her FB page today with the included comment. I'd like to know when, too.

ETA: I asked in the comments for the photo. I'll post the response if I get one.

Thank you for asking :).

Ollie thanks for posting those. She looks absolutely stunning. I read somewhere that she did some modeling in the beginning. She definitely could have had a career out of it if she'd wanted, those are really great.

Back