Stellas Leaving

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by paige4donmacdan, Aug 1, 2010.

?

Do You Want Stella To Leave ?

Poll closed Aug 31, 2010.
  1. Yes

13.6%
  2. No

65.9%
  3. Maybe

20.5%
  1. paige4donmacdan

paige4donmacdan Hit and Run

I Suppose well wait to see if cela is good then x

2. Kiane

Kiane Lab Technician

ITA! Melina's characterizations as Stella kicked life into this show, and she was so Mac's equal and she had a vibe with the whole team. Sela Ward is a good actress but her mannerisms is not fitting to be a leading lady of a voltage crime action show like this.

3. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I'm with ya on that!!:thumbsup: No matter how hard Sela tries there just is NO OTHER STELLA!!! Her leaving is a HUGE HOLE in this show as we are about to find out. Stella had such a presence and was indeed Macs equal!:)

4. paige4donmacdan

I tOTALLY aGREE :bolian::thumbsup:

5. ~Kassandra~

~Kassandra~ Hit and Run

I very much agree. I am not watching NY anymore since Melina is leaving because no one and I mean NO ONE can ever replace Stella!

6. paige4donmacdan

I wouldnt say that we have many other great characters like mac dan and don and lindsay and the other guys xx

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

erm, but sela isn't replacing stella. she's a NEW character. and we all know that soaps/dramas sometimes do physically replace characters when an actor/actress leaves, by getting someone new to play the exact same role. but this isn't happening here. melina left (of her own volition, folks, and if it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me), and another character is being brought in to make up the numbers in the team. that's categorically not the same as a replacement.

i think it looks like she's slotted in very well, i'm looking forward to seeing how she does, and confident her arrival & the shake up of the cast will give the writers a creative kick up the arse :)

also:

what makes you say this? have you seen her acting as this character already? maybe these mannerisms you speak of are those she used in other roles which may have been *fanfare* part of those other roles. i don't deny that all actors bring something of themselves to roles, but y'know, most are capable of playing more than one type of character, and if, as you say, she is a good actress, then why should that not apply to her?

it just makes me really sad that people are judging her to be crap even though they've not seen her in this role yet (none of us have), and won't even give her a chance, just because of sour grapes over the decision of another, unrelated, actress. get over it folks, and give her a chance.

8. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

This is true.
    Which is one of the stupidest moves a showrunner can make.

I'm glad you are at peace with it Lisa but I for one find the timing of it all questionable and since this is the thread in which we can vent our frustrations and disagreement on the matter well...(just my opinion of course:)) I think Melina was not happy with whatever negotiations were presented to her and she was forced to make the decision she made. True she left, but not with a happy heart I feel. And as her fan, to think of the years of enjoyment she gave as Stella to us we have a stronger since of loss then those who did not find her character on that level. Saying that, untill Melina herself comes and says she really did not want to be a part of the series
    I will not just go with the CBS talking points and be satisfied. Melina mentioned she did not agree with the course they were taking Stella and that might have been one of the most honest reasons I have heard thus far. Because Melina is classy (as Gary said)and will not trash CBS we may never know all of the reasons behind the exit. As for CBS, I and many other Stella fans have kept there ratings up over the years just like the rest of the CSINY fans and I guess if you cannot understand the depth of our dissappointment there is nothing more to say.
    As for Sela you are right it is not fair to judge her, either pro or con. To convey your anticipation over the few clips they have presented is fair but for those who are not overly excited is understandable and fair as well, to me any way. And if the reason is tied into Stellas leaving where else should they speak there voice but here? Call it sour grapes if you will, but if the best thing in your favorite show is gone it is hard to get excited over the new season. Blaming Sela will not make it better and telling those who are upset to get over it wont either. What comes of season seven will be in the interest of the audience and the talent of the writers. Generally speaking to put the success or failure on any one actress is simply unfair. Although I disagree with you on some points and agree on others it is good to have this forum and you to share them with.:)

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

agreed!!

i'm not so sure - i feel that way about the departure of AJ & reduction of paget from criminal minds, particularly as it seemed the cast were only told after it was decided, but i think in this case it sounds like there were many reasons. sure the negotiations may not have gone in her favour with regards things like pay, but if she was really happy and didn't have better things on the horizon, she would've bargained harder or accepted the conditions as a caveat for a job she loves. but if she didn't love it, why stay? especially if something else is added to the list of things you don't love - there comes a point where you just have to move on.

agreed - but isn't that a reason she should leave not stay? if she wasn't happy with the character development to that extent, then to stay just because of loyalty or something would be totally wrong. it may not be the happiest departure, for sure, but it'd be the right one.

yeah, this is true, we'll never know, unless they decide to tell us. but that means that me saying it was her choice is just speculation, but so is everyone else's saying she really wanted to stay and was forced out. negotiations are 2-way things.

i do sort of understand the disappointment - i know that if gary left i'd almost certainly stop watching but tbh that's more because i don't think the show could stand without him, he's too central, and i never felt that way about melina (in fact even as i watch older seasons now i find i like stella less and less, i can't explain why, i was never her biggest fan anyway, i dunno what it is!). but i guess if you feel that way about her role in it that's fair enough. but that said, i don't think it's a reason to automatically assume that whoever comes in after her (i don't want to say her replacement as i don't think that's what it is) will be crap just because she isn't her.

oh, i agree with that (although there are other places i've seen people discuss it too, but i know what you're getting at!) - what bothers me isn't that people are expressing disappointment, that's fine, what bothers me is that some of that expression has been so angry and quite nasty in some places, and so quick to judge someone who hasn't even started yet. also i get a distinct impression that a lot of the melina fans are actually just frustrated smacked fans who don't actually care what's best for melina, in terms of whether she leaves or stays, but demand that she stays so they can get a bit of smacked again. surely melina's choices are more important than a fictional will they/won't they? that might just be the way i'm seeing things - i'm sure it is, and i'm sure now melina fans will be disputing this in their droves! - but that's sometimes how it appears.

truth be told i kind of wanted gary to quit at the end of s6 and leave. he didn't, that's fine, it's up to him - i'd rather he'd have gone off and done something else, but y'know, he didn't, and much as csi:ny was utterly disappointing last year, it's his decision and if he wants to stay, that's fine with me. i just think sometimes people seem to assume what's best for the actor/actress in question and project that to a point where if they don't do that, there's some kind of issue somewhere.

oh yeah, and i don't want to argue or piss off any melina fans with this, it's just how i see it, that's all. you don't have to agree :guffaw:

10. paige4donmacdan

this is all just so confusing so basically lets sum it up we want stella bak ! but celas here now how will she adapt who knows but stella wished u come bak xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

That's how you'd sum it up if you ignore all of the posts saying they are looking forward to Sela joining the cast and respect Melina's choice of leaving. :rolleyes: Not everyone wants Stella back and hates the idea of Sela joining the cast. :wtf:

12. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I guess we will never know what the negotiations entailed and unless someone of credibility sheds light on it we may never know. But it is obvious, (because of the timing I think) that she DID love her job and when the line was drawn she turned and walked. as for better things on the horizon they were not enticing enough for her to leave after season six, and as I said it was eluded to the fact she did not like where they were taking Stellas character. As far as money, I know that was bantered about and I can hesitate to guess Sela wasnt cheap. She has name recognition and has earned her place amongst notable actor names so the money issue comes into question... if they did not have enough for Melina how could they afford Sela? Sela I dont think was hurting financially as I read she turned down a part for CSI Miami so it makes me wonder...Just sayin. As for accepting the conditions as a caveat why should she? sometimes when you are being pushed around there comes a point when you make a stand it is not always satisfiying and even to the point of giving up something you love and this is where I get irritated because I think she was
    "pushed" into her decision to walk, she has her pride as we all do and I think someone at CBS decided Melinas demands were worth taking a risk in her exit so they could get new blood in and boost the ratings. And as a fan I think CBS could have tried harder to keep Melina. Call me a cynic I'm fine with that:) There efforts in my opinion were ill conceived and a slap in the face of her fans and indeed CSINY fans. When Gary said Melina had class I think it was his way of saying she would not trash CBS and why would she if they were treating her fairly?

Why should she leave? why not just leave her character alone actors have some input from what I understand, and if she felt the development was wrong for Stella why not trust her instinct and leave well enough alone. Did they think her character could be the reason for the decline in ratings? How about they look at there own writing flaws and consider some changes there instead. A new character can only bring enough life to a show via the character, it is the writing abilities that keep the story interesting as well, so switching up characters may not be the solution. I felt the previous season became stale and all of the glimmer and glitz helped nil. Well except Nelly of course!:lol: Shiny babbles never really held my interest much and is just a diversion to real problems. Tapping into medicore talent and allowing it to become the main focus and finale and turning a crime show into a soap opera is the epitamy of stupidity and whomever has been making the decisions the last couple of seasons needs to be the one to depart. Then it would be the right one!:p

Let the record state I never referred to Sela as ..ahem.."crap". True I was not happy at first and made no bones about it, but it is only a tv show and I am over that.:)

People vent the way they vent I've been known to get abit crotchety meself!:lol:

GUILTY!!!:lol::p:lol:
    And that comes to the point of why? Why was the choice made just because CBS sent her off with "kisses and hugs" and said all is well.....is it? And as far as the dispute?...it lives on!:lol:

And no harm done here!:lol:
    I dont!!! ...But I still like you!:lol:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

maybe she liked the idea of a chance to work with gary, who is probably a bigger name and more established actor than david caruso, and thus gave NY a bigger attraction for her than miami? just a thought, though, i have no idea if that's the case. i know i'd want that chance hehehe :devil:

it's just odd as normally i'm the cynic ;)

yeah, possibly. that said he has been known to call other people that kind of thing too, it might just be a word he likes! but yeah, point taken.

omfg. we agree....! ;) albeit briefly...:

true, but on the other hand having a new character, especially a main one, gives the writers a chance to shake things up a bit, to re-evaluate the team interactions, particularly as such a central character will inevitably impact on all the others. it may not be the solution (and god knows after last season they need one) but it might be!

true, but others have. maybe not even here actually but i've seen it said somewhere.

yup, me too!

damn! my plan for everyone hating me failed! ;) seriously, yeah, i think we can agree to disagree, right?:thumbsup:

14. paige4donmacdan

15. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I think what PA is saying to you and Lisa is agreeing with is, not everyone is upset with Stella leaving and Sela arriving.:) I on the other hand agree I would much rather have Stella!:thumbsup:

I heard Caruso is "quite a gem" to work for!!!:lol:

And I CANT believe they did not call you!!!:lol:

There can be two cynics in the world....me and thee:lol:

AAAAWWWW only breifly?:p

I'm sure Sela will do her best.:)

I think that would be very hard to do.:)

Always!:)