Melina Kanakaredes Leaves CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Since this is pretty big news, I figured it warrants its own thread. According to Ausiello, Melina opted not to renew her contract (sounds like she was asked to take a pay cut) and will not be back for season seven. It's possible she might not even be back to give Stella an exit, though let's hope that's not the case.

How do you feel about this? Will you still be watching? And who do you think could be brought in to replace Stella?

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

And yet we're most likely stuck with Anna Belknap for another f***ing season?

I did not see this coming at all (who the hell did?!). Not a pretty time for the folks over at CSI.

3. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

DAMN CBS! It seems they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Melina added that strong female piece to NY. No offense to Lindsay/Anna fans but Lindsay's character seemed to lack what Stella brought to the team.

Her and Mac's interactions/friendship, etc.. added a lot to the show. Stuff that was missing to me in the other two series.

I'm feeling like CBS/CSI is cutting off and getting rid of a very strong character with a strong fan base.

I did read that Sela Ward could be her replacement. I'm all for that, but Melina brought Stella to life.

She will be missed.

As for watching... I'm going to do my best. Friday night, without Melina, are they really wanting to kill this series??? :confused:

4. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

So, according to the source (which may not be accurate) she was asked to take a pay-cut and refused. Were they going to work her less (fewer hours, fewer episodes) or just pay her less? Was it just her or were others put in the same position? When actors negotiate they usually get more. This show is frequently in the top 20. Why would they let the lead female go? It doesn't make sense.

I'll still watch because I love the show and most of the other characters, but I think this will hurt the ratings. Are they trying to sabotage the show?

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I don't think this bodes well for the series - Friday nights without one of the major players? I wouldn't be surprised if season 7 was the last, but I hope I'm proven wrong.

Melina is amazing, and I totally respect that she chose to leave - I wish her the best. Still, I'm sad to see that she won't be on the show anymore. :(

I hope they give her a proper exit, but the Ausiello article implied that she won't be back at all, which sucks because the character and actress deserve more than an abrupt offscreen exit.

Sela Ward is great, and NY could do far worse than bring on such a talented actress to replace Melina - if that rumor turns out to be true (which it might not), I hope it all works out for the series. If not, I hope they find a good replacement to keep things moving smoothly. There are a lot of talented people on NY, and I want the show to last as long as possible.

(Also, what the hell, female characters are dropping like flies at CBS.)

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I'm sad that Melina is leaving (or has indeed left)! :( I can't really imagine NY without Stella.

It won't stop me from watching the show, but Stella was a really big part of it, this kind of feels like the beginning of the end...

7. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I didn't see this coming either although I expected Anna Belknap to take the hit when contract problems from different CBS shows started to come out. I was so happy that the bad bews had ended with Criminal Minds. Then today, after a month, the saddest news just appeared! :wtf: What I can't understand is why CBS asks for a pay cut and why Melina? Are they serious? That TV network is crazy. They really don't know what they are doing lately!

I will miss Stella. She definitely added a lot of life in the show. I hope her replacement would inherit at least some Stella magic. I will still watch the show. I don't know if many will still do.

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

That sucks, but it won't be Melina leaving that makes me stop watching the show. After that horse shit S6 finale I'm watching the premiere and if it doesn't satisfy me I'm done.

9. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

After being disappointed time after time during last season, I had my doubts. I didn't know if I should watch next season's premiere or if I should stop watching the show altogether. I must thank CBS, my doubts have magically vanished! Goodbye, CSI:NY!

BTW, Hill Harper confirms the news at his Twitter:

10. Queenie

Queenie Witness

No more Stella, no more Mac & Stella, no more CSI:NY. CSI:NY is done for me. I mean it. I don't even wanna know what kind of crappy storyline they come up with. :mad:

Melina leaving just devastated me. I'm upset and angry.
    I'm not liking her decision but I respect her choice.

Friday and Melina leaving. I'm pretty sure this serie is done after their 7th season.

11. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

From Hill, via Twitter:

12. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I'm wondering then what Gary is going to say about this. He wasn't too happy upon hearing about Emanuelle's departure.

I'd be curious (a fly on the wall) when they tell him Melina is gone.

13. Queenie

Queenie Witness

I would love to be the fly as well!
    They're very close (at least that's what Melina has said) and they've been close for so many years.
    I'm sure Gary isn't taking this well either.

14. churchmouse

churchmouse Witness

YOU have got to be kidding me! Now what? I wonder how their going to play this one out. :confused:

15. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

That's why there aren't any spoilers / buzz for NY premiere yet. They are cooking something horrible like this news! Miami already has. Criminal Minds starts production this week. I wonder about how messy the revision of script and plans the NY writers are doing now.