Calleigh & Ryan #8 - Give Me A Chance.

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by karu_mila, Jan 1, 2009.

?

New Thread Title

Poll closed Jan 4, 2009.
  1. Give Me a Chance

55.6%
  2. The Diamond Bond

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 'Cause He Knows Her Guilty Pleasure

11.1%
  4. Big Day Coming Up?

22.2%
  5. I Know What You Wanted

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Apologizing With Flowers? Calleigh Approves.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Ship of Diamond Bonds and Flowers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Don't Believe Everything You Hear

22.2%
  9. Don't Mess With the Stare

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. A Perfect Match

22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

Long post alert. And I'm not very happy. (Also I'm posting this before reading anything else so maybe I'll feel better after this has been posted.)

Okay, I'm trying to keep this as polite and even-tempered as possible but I just finished watching this episode and I gotta ask if anyone else (who saw it) disliked Natalia and what appears to be a new storyline for her. Because I sure did.
    First let me say that we got a nice scene around the beginning with Calleigh and Ryan. Actually, they were just standing together while getting the COD from the coroner but every little scene counts nowadays and I can't remember the last time they were sharing a scene for so long. Later on they have to investigate houses to find the place where their victim was murdered, and the two are waiting together for Jesse and Natalia. (I was already smiling thinking about what they might've said or done while they were waiting, and the fact that Ryan and Calleigh were matching in red really made me grin. :)) Then Ryan made to split up with Calleigh while Natalia and Jesse took some other house and I just started coming up with maybe ten different scenarios and interactions this split up might lead to; all of them shippy friendly. So, here I was enjoying a decent CaRWash friendly episode when cranky Natalia, who may have gotten romantically spurned by Jesse – I don't know because I didn't watch the episode before this one and if they didn't mention it then, well then I just don't understand her weirdly jealous quip about Jesse being distracted by a little something in a sequined dress or something but I digress – anyway, she doesn't want to be paired with Jesse in the split up so she goes off with Ryan instead. (I feel like this might explain all those scenes where she's with Ryan and Calleigh is with new guy Jesse. It's all her doing, I'm sure of it.)

This is gonna turn into my longest rant ever but I have to get this off my chest. See, Natalia and Ryan end up in a meth explosion and it just ticked me off how much importance they put on it; they repeated the explosion scene no less than four times throughout the episode and Ryan's worry over her made me wanna cringe and not just purely because of shippy reasons (only partly... a large part [​IMG]) but because we got the same situation with Calleigh and Ryan caught in a fire not a few dozen episodes before and we got literally half the follow-through and less concern from Ryan, who mind you knows Calleigh way longer than Natalia and I would hope is closer to her. But no. The writers have a vendetta against CaRWash or so it seems. And the drama follows Natalia who won't even admit she's got some apparent hearing damage from the explosion and Ryan tries to coax it out of her but she denies, denies, denies. (As a sidenote, I'm also annoyed they're co-opting another CSI Vegas plotline. Grissom made possible hearing loss cool, 'kay? Give Natalia another sister to get kidnapped or something. Geez.)

I just can't help but wonder what would've happened if Calleigh and Ryan went into that house like they were originally supposed to, and I've been picturing it going one of three ways:
    First hypothetical scenario is simply putting Calleigh in Natalia's shoes and letting everything play out as it did including the huge wave of Ryan concern which would vindicate the writers for all those times they had our pair trade a few distant pleasantries after one or the other suffer some kind of trauma (but this requires additional angst and pain on Calleigh and guess who I blame for making me wish such a thing upon our poor bullet girl? That's right: Catty Natty. [​IMG])
    Second hypothetical scenario involves the writers once again displaying their poor judgment of chemistry and friendship dynamics. If Calleigh was caught in the explosion it may well play out like the fire scene in Smoke Gets In Your CSIs where there's barely any "Are you okay" thoughts coming from Ryan (unless it happened off-screen) and nothing from him when she gets hospitalized (at least I think she got hospitalized). It would all be swept under the rug like so many things involving these two; in fact, the deaf storyline as played by Calleigh might have made her become even more distant from Ryan but hell if he notices because he's off with Nat and Jess and that obnoxious CSI transfer (Wally or whatever). Judging by the writers' track record this is the most plausible of the three scenarios and it just annoys me all over again. [​IMG]
    The third way it could've gone down was since Calleigh's so much more proficient and attentive (not to mention badass) she would've spotted the bomb and taken it out Jesse style with some quick sharp shooting (he did it earlier in the episode and he didn't get a scratch on him). Ryan may or may not compliment/thank her on saving his life and this could easily branch out into regular Miami writing where they sweep it under the rug and ignore Calleigh's awesomeness or CaRWash friendly writing where we get more fun interaction (Ryan could totally brag about her sharpshooting to everyone). Either way we would've been spared the Natty drama. (This is my preferred choice out of all three as it doesn't harm Calleigh physically or emotionally and it still has possibility for some CaRWash goodness.) [​IMG] At least Calleigh got all snarky with that crazy government hating home-owner in the actual episode.

In closing, I'm sorry for this insanely long post and I hope the mods don't get mad that I'm ranting on Natalia since I included plenty of Calleigh/Ryan thoughts in there. (And I could've said worse about Natalia. Oh, and don't think this is coming out of nowhere because these feelings have been a long time coming with how much the writers seem to be forcing Natalia/Ryan scenes on us.) If you didn't read the long post I made (and I don't blame you), the gist of it was, this episode started out all promising and CaRWash friendly but devolved into Natalia drama with some Jesse and Horatio stuff on the side.

*sigh* My mantra has deserted me. :(

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I wasn't upset at all at how things turned out.Natalia had a perfectly normal reaction to Jesse,he stood her up in the last episode.
    I am a Carwash fan (I haven't posted in a while) but as of now ,I am looking for friendliness between Ryan and Calleigh because that has suffered a lot the last season or two.Also,we know what direction TPTB sent Calleigh in.I haven't been that happy with Calleigh's character for a while so maybe that is why I preferred how it played out this last episode.So while Calleigh could have been badass with the bomb,I preferred it the way it played out. The writers having Ryan show concern for Natalia could be that they learned from last season where they had Ryan not even inquire how Calleigh was feeling after the fire.
    I am also a fan that didn't want to see more Calleigh drama and was happy it was Natalia for once,she's been neglected way too long. Working around firearms,bombs,and other loud noises,the possibility of a hearing loss for a character does not need to be restricted to one show.I would like to see how a possible hearing problem plays out.
    I also don't think there is any insistance on the part of the actress that her character be paired with Ryan.While I do believe this of someone else on the show,I don't believe it of Eva.
    I actually like the Natalia ,Ryan scenes(not in a shippy way) because not only have both characters been neglected but they work so well together.I am happy for any episode where we are treated to them on screen a little more.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  3. slower

slower Lab Technician

We were at least treated to them actually intacting. I was hoping for more. But, I guess that was asking for too much, maybe later in them season. At least some friendly banter of old. But, with the E/C thing still hovering around, I sincerely doubt it will happen this season.

I find it so amusing. This is a TV show (not reality), usually when one character leaves the show thats' it for so called relationships. But, the E/C fans have this whole fantasy marriage and children going on. :rolleyes:

I say let her move on and realize, she has had more feelings for Ryan than the other men in her life.

Now who's fantisizing. :lol:

4. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I see where you are coming from, Hestia, but I agree with Greatfan. Natalia had good reason not to want to be paired with Jesse- after all he had stood her up. I would have been the same in the situation. And I am glad Nat finally got some decent scenes- Calleigh has had enough of those types of scenes.

I do like Ryan and Natalia scenes. I think Ryan was showing friendly concern for her, nothing more. But I do agree that SGIYCSIs was very disappointing, CaRwash wise, and that Ryan should have shown the same amount of concern for Cal in that epi as he did for Natalia in this last epi. Unfortunately TPTB were too busy at the time promoting E/C. But I do like to believe that there was lots of sympathy shown off screen then!

5. keep dreaming

keep dreaming Dead on Arrival

Ooooh TEXTING!! That could lead to things :lol: I can see them doing this actually :guffaw:They seem like the type of "friends" that do that sort of thing.

6. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Welcome to the thread, keep dreaming !
    I could also see them texting each other. Probably more in s3 and 4 though.
    It was good that Ryan told Cal everything about Jesse and the party- and it didn't come off as just gossiping about a co-worker.

Im not expecting much carwash in this next epi, but hopefully we get a decent scene, or 2.

7. keep dreaming

Thank you! :D

I'm glad he told her too!
    Yep, I hope we at least get one great scene with the two of them.

8. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Welcome to the Ryan/Calleigh thread keep dreaming. :D

We do have a few rules here in Shipper Central unlike any other forum on the board.

Please take a minute to look over them; Rules are here.

Let us know if you have any questions and have fun. ;)

9. keep dreaming

Thank you so much for the welcome. I read the rules, thank you also for the link to those. I do see one thing I was doing wrong. I didn't know about the 3 line minimum rule. Sorry about that. But other than that, I understand everything. :D

Last nights episode with them running after the suspect, was pretty exciting. A bit jumpy, made me a bit nauseous, but very fun to watch them together. I wonder if Ryan knew that that was the suspect in the pool and just kept running after the "suspect" to throw them off? Ryan and Calleigh sort of think alike sometimes and maybe this could be the case.

10. karu_mila

karu_mila CSI Level Two

Hey keep dreaming, welcome to the thread!

There should be a scene where they're just texting back and forth from the crime scene and the lab. I can just imagine the kind of snarky comments Ryan would make... speaking of texting, what kind of stuff do you think they text about?

Well, great minds do think alike... I didn't see much of this episode though. Can anyone tell me if there were any scenes?

11. cardboard box

cardboard box Civilian

Hello all. :D I used to post on this thread as Court, but then I forgot my login info and I changed e-mail addresses sooooo... I made a new account:hugegrin:.

I don't recall any specifically. Just the fact that they were working together which is always nice to see.

And the texting thing has been keeping me patient. I keep finding myself wondering what they talk about during an episode. Maybe we could get a message list ;)

12. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ Welcome back!
    Yeah, Karu- there was only really the running scene together and a few team moments after. I didnt expect much what with Eric coming back, so I was quite happy with the amount of carwash. I agree, keep dreaming that our pair do think alike. I love it when they interrogate someone together.
    Ok, so what do we want to see for carwash in the new year?
    For me it is more friendliness between the pair and a bit of banter. And it would be great to see them together somewhere before or after work!

13. slower

slower Lab Technician

1. Flirty, friendly banter. Ryan has always been able to make Calleigh smile and blush, like nobody else.

2. Working a case together. There has been such a lack of these types of scenes (without Jesse and/or Walter) for them this year. Just the two of them discussing the case and coming up with the solution. Maybe H thrown in the mix.

I can dream. :lol:

14. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ I will dream along with you!
    I would love just the 2 of them to be on a case together- just like the good old days of seasons 3 and 4. And then the flirty banter would follow. They just cant help themselves!

Happy Christmas to all CaRWashers, and here is to a new year full of Cal and Ryan goodness :beer:

15. togo2hot

togo2hot Prime Suspect

[QUOTE Last nights episode with them running after the suspect, was pretty exciting. A bit jumpy, made me a bit nauseous, but very fun to watch them together. I wonder if Ryan knew that that was the suspect in the pool and just kept running after the "suspect" to throw them off? Ryan and Calleigh sort of think alike sometimes and maybe this could be the case.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.....i also missed the scences above....i was just watching Rio and was reminded of their(ryan and calleigh)'s understading of each other and the fact that they could finish each other thoughts:)....For example in Shock when ryan asked calleigh whether she put his name on the gift to give to H and calleigh said she already did...I love it:thumbsup:!and of course in Rio when Calleigh and Ryan was discussing the case and they both finished each other thoughts!When i saw that i was reminded of thier great understanding of each other..On the other hand ,it could be said that the producers wanted to get the facts to the viewers in a more interesting way..i mean rather than have one person say the facts and the other person just nod his head..having both person finish each other thoughts would be more interesting..but i rather go with the fact (or fantasy) that Ryan and Calleigh do really know each other well and that they were finishing each other thoughts like in Rio.:)