What Category Do I Belong In? Find out here! [Please rate/comment!]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CSI_Kat, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Re: What Category Do I Belong In? Find out here! [Please rate/comment!

We've got someone looking for some feedback on their work. She'd like to know what category she should enter, and get some constructive criticism.

Set K

01[​IMG] 02[​IMG] 03[​IMG] 04[​IMG]

2. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

Alright...

The crop on the first icon isn't the best. A wider angle might have worked better, but that may just be me, I'm not too much a fan of close-ups. Furthermore, Wendy looks a bit too pale and thus blends too much into the background. But the icon is nice and clear.

The 2nd icon is really good. The crop is a bit wider than the 1st one and the coloring is nice. Sharpness and saturation are good. Crisp and clear, well done!

The 3rd icon seems to be a bit too orange and the light kinda distracts from Greg.

The last icon could use a bit more sharpening and maybe a touch of selective coloring.

All in all, I'd say Intermediate should be the right category for you to enter for now. If you keep on working on your skills you should be Advanced in no time. :)

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

New stuff to comment on. And still feel free to comment on stuff above, too ;)

(Usually I prefer CSI stuff only, as this is a CSI site, but she's been waiting very patiently for me to get these up...)

Set L
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Set M
    (not TalkCSI size, but we can give feedback anyway ;))
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Set N (clickable!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Set O
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

Intermediate/Advanced

Looks like you're yet another one who focuses mainly on textures and font to make a icon, my advice to you is to experiment solely with color first, master coloring before trying anything else.

Set L:
    Icon 1: Lacks contrast for a black/white icon.
    Icon 2: Needs to be sharpened, something's off about the overall color, I think sharpening could help.
    Icon 3: I'm not sure what that effect is, it seems that you have used the blur effect, way too much I may add. It's too hard to focus on the icon with that blue negative space area, I can't even make out what it is.
    Icon 4: The text is way too big, it becomes the sole focus of the icon. The icon could do without the text, or the text toned down.
    Icon 5: The coloring is toned down in this one, but the crop is too drastic and too close, experiment with different crops.
    Icon 6-Icon7: The coloring is nice, but both of these look a bit grainy.
    Icon 8: The texture blends into the guy on the left and the font is small/grainy and almost unreadable, maybe rastorizing your font will help with this.
    Icon 9: The texture makes the icon look grainy, but I'll have to say that it is more contrasted than the first black/white icon I commented on in this set.

Set M:
    1: The background color is way too close to that of their skin and makes it look kind of off.
    2: I actually kind of like this one, I just feel that the font needs work though.
    3-4: Coloring is grainy and for some reason it seems that the larger one is more stretched than the banner size.
    5-6: The first one has nice contrast and font, the second one is grainy and the font is hard to read.

Set N:
    1: This one is beautiful :)
    2: Nice black/white effect, however the font (which I think is tiny text) is way too blurry and distorted.
    3-4: (3)Texture blends a bit to much into this one, and see #2 above about text. Tiny text works on smaller icons, looks out of place on larger stuff. (4) Text problem again, it's blurry and kind of dissolves into the work.

Set O:
    1: Color is too faded and lacks contrast.
    2: This one is cute, font is a nice choice.
    3: Good simple icon.

I'm sorry if my criticism upsets ... I have a hard time sugar coating :shifty: