"Time of Your Death" Discussion **Beware Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 28, 2006.

1. grisslybear

grisslybear CSI Level Two

MissDee, I bow down to you. Seriously, thank you for such a thorough analysis of the interaction in this episode.

This episode, in my opinion, showcased great "continuity", contrary to what people think. Continuity in the sense of Gil Grissom's progression as a person throughout the series, as Miss Dee explained so well. The comment about "beauty and rejection" is, I think, a very good case in point:

Now, for this to make sense to anyone reading this, two things should be assumed:

1. Gil Grissom thinks Sara Sidle is beautiful. (Ref: Season 2, Primum Non Nocere; Season 4, Butterflied). If one cannot accept even this as a fact, then I think the discussion of this episode from a GSR standpoint is moot anyway because this means that predispositions will be convoluting people's views.

2. The reason that Gil Grissom has not been in a relationship with Sara Sidle is because he was scared of its consequences on his life. Professionally, or otherwise.
    Again, Butterflied speech. ("I couldn't do it, but you did"). And again, if people's counterargument to this is that he wasn't talking about Sara, I would say, please go and watch the commentary.

So, basically Grissom making the beauty and rejection comment was important in the sense that he was finally able to voice it in front of Sara. It's not that Sara didn't know it before. She witnessed his speech. But presumably, he wasn't comfortable voicing it in front of her before. I think this is a big step for Grissom. And if you look at Sara's facial expression at the very end of that scene, she has bit of a shock on her face, like she can't believe he said that openly.

The end scene was also important because Grissom says, looking at Sara: "don't confuse fantasy with reality". I think here, he openly accepts that Sara has pretty much been a fantasy to him, off limits, and dangerous to indulge in. The difference is that he is so open about it now. I think this episode's biggest point was to show us that he is now less scared of a relationship. He still has his doubts, but at least he is not running away from it.

My take on why some people have been disturbed by this episode so much is as follows:

1. If you ship another pairing, it is normal to not like this episode, frankly. I think the major reason is that the "moments" in this episode were initiated by Grissom, and thus, harder to explain away. And if you don't accept that GSR has been a running arc in this series since Cool Change, then, again, this whole discussion is moot.

2. Again understandably, this episode came in a season of relatively scarce GSR moments. So, people may very well be thinking "what is the background? Why now?". But I completely agree with Miss Dee in the sense that this season showed us that Sara is not chasing Grissom anymore. Their interaction this season was much less angsty, Sara is not a broken woman who "needs" Grissom anymore, and she has accepted her situation with Grissom as what it is, although she still loves him. So, I think it is a good background for this couple to move to the next level.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Uh, errm... who was the guy who was killed by those yakuzas in this episode?

3. lilbug

lilbug CSI Level Two

Does anyone know what Grissom said in Korean? he did say something didn't he?

4. MissDee

MissDee Lab Technician

Grissom said "kam sa ham ni da," which is Korean for "thank you."

5. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Thank you Miss Dee for providing that interesting article. I see how all that relates to the looks and now makes more sense. Thank you.

6. lilbug

lilbug CSI Level Two

Oh! Muchas gracias.

7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Kick in case anyone wants to say anything after the re-air.

I was happy because I got a double Buffy alum surprise. I'd heard about Julie Benz being in an ep but hadn't watched it last time around. And didn't know Andy Umberger was also in it.

'course it *was* rather hard to not want to yell things at the screen like "watch it, she'll eat you" and "she's dangerous, she's not human!" LOL

*wuvs the GSR moment herself*

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Who else thinks that that the last scene with that final look between sara and Grissom was a set up for the final scene in the last epsiode of the season?

9. GGgirl1

GGgirl1 Pathologist

In retrospect, of course it was! I didn't see it coming though, not having really concentrated on CSI this season as I had before (busy selling my house and moving to another city). I look forward to buying season 6 on DVD to watch and analyze each episode carefully. And I look forward to season 7 too, to see what will happen...

10. Happy Grissom

Happy Grissom Hit and Run

In reply to MissDee, post: 121708, member: 10165/ May 9, 2006

Thank you for such an even-handed and fair-minded analysis on this episode. Yours is the best piece of comment I have ever read by far up to this very day. Now it's 2016, and the network has taken the show off air; but your take on this episode still stands tall and rings true. Thanks for the great read. Truly appreciated.