"Leave Out All the Rest" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Nov 1, 2008.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

They said 'elements' of the song would be used throughout, which I took to mean that some of the meanings of the lyrics would be used in the script. They did say it would be played at the beginning and end.

I finally got around to watching this episode today. I was nervous about it, so I put it off til after I read some posts. Wow, everyone has some type of reaction, many with different takes on it. So I figured I just had to see for myself.
    I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was incredibly well done, with the video of Sara mixed in to show us what Grissom was thinking about, and the acting was exceptional. I could really see Grissom's pain. Jorja was great in the video, acting happy, but obviously with some sadness in her voice. And I thought LH did a great job of trying to get Grissom to see his inner self and relationship issues. I thought she was provocative, but without going overboard and being sexual. The chemistry was there with WP, but there was no sexual tension like they have had in the past. I really think they are just good friends.
    I have to say I really like Catherine in this. She feels for Grissom, but she is clearly taking the reins of the investigation and running the case; leaving Grissom to work out his problems. Loved the 'change the channel' comment, and her scene with Hodges. That was the perfect amount of Hodges for me.
    I was kind of bummed that the case wasn't solved, but maybe it will be revisited later. I'm pretty sure the 'new LH' will be back, was her name Michelle? It wasn't lost on me that she was coming on to Nick. CSI, the next generation.
    Riley is clearly the new Sara. Which I'm sad about, but reality bites. Greg needs someone to talk with like he and Sara use to do.
    Overall, a very good and a very emotional episode. Love Linkin Park!

2. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I thought the episode was good. I was trying to watch Supernatural all the same time, so I didn't catch on to everything that that you guys are talking about, bue it seemed as if everytime I looked up, Sara was on the video talking about their relationship, which turned me off a bit. But, from what I'm hearing, it was a pretty balanced episode. I looked up at just the right time to hear Grissom say stay which made the episode redeemable to me. I guess I'll just have t watch the whole thing on CBS.com sometime this week.

And based off of what I can see, it doesn't seem as if Riley is the new Sara. I think Riley is her own person which is why I like her so much. She isn't like the other characters we've grown accustomed to over the last eight years. But that's just my opinion.

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

She's pretty good at holding her own with Nick and Greg. She certainly made Greg blush and challenged Nick on his theory about a tiny woman dragging heavy weight. Good for her.

And most of all, she's not all googly eyed for Grissom-God that's nice to see after eight years of googly eyed Sara.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And as for Grissom. Well, I don't think anything happened between he and Lady H. Lady H is no one's sloppy seconds.

4. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yeah I do not see Riley as another Sara either. She is not moody like Sara always was and searching for Grissom's eye. She reminds me a bit more of Catherine overall...more independent and sort of sassy but not in an annoying way.

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I've seen this new person Riley 3 times, and it's really impossible to judge someone and their whole persona in that short of a time. Sara was on this show for 8 years and already in 3 in S/9, and she was the best, and sometimes moody, it could be because she watched her mom kill her dad:eek:.. that's over the top traumatic. But she was also loving, kind, compassionate, and had a quirky funny sense of humor as well. A great CSI and a key for getting to the bottom of the cases, She was the one who found out where Nick was buried in "Grave Danger" with the map she pinpointed it. So many times she cracked the perpertrator and the cases . She was a fascinating, bewitching, provacative, sharp, smart, darling girl, and her smile could light up a room. She was incredible. She bonded with the whole team and had special qualities that were quite unique, also on Riley making eyes at Grissom she's hardly had any scenes with him, and he's not paying attention to anyone right now, and she doesn't even know him, and is new, & hardly would be doing that. Grissom knew Sara before she moved to Las Vegas, and he called her down to work as a CSI . An on comparing her to Cath, not even, she's young and fresh and Cath isn't..We'll see if this new person lasts that long with out any criticism or positive traits, good or bad. She's cool, but no one character on this show is perfect, including her. Time well tell if she meets the test of a great CSI like Sara Sidle was:beer:

Another bone of contention in this ep. was when Riley asked Nick and Greg, "Who's Lady Heather"? and Greg goes ""That's another Oprah" day" and Cath butts in and goes "Changing channels" instead of letting them explain who LH was, beings she asked. She doesn't know her history or who she is~

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

OT: No, she wasn't the only one who figured it out. Archie pinpointed areas after narrowing down the location of the remote, Grissom figured out by the ants he was seeing that they're found in nurseries, and after all that, Sara 'remembered' that Kelly worked in a nursery, looked at her file and pointed it out on map. If anything, it was Grissom who figured it out with the help from Nick. Lets face it, if he didn't shoot out the light, NONE of them would have figured out where he was.

So, no, she didn't figure it out, just like she didn't figure out it was McKeen. :rolleyes:

Back on topic: And I agree with others I don't think Riley is like Sara. Lets be glad about that. We need some who isn't moody and is lively and has fun. We used to have that with Greg and he's changed. Maybe Riley will be able to bring that quality in Greg back out. I miss the funny Greg.

7. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

:beer: Thank you for saying everything I wanted to say, but couldn't find the words.:thumbsup:

All I was saying desertwind was that Riley, in my opinion, is not another Sara. She is young and fresh like you said. She doesn't take crap from anyone. Not Grissom, Nick, Greg, or even the new psychiatrist. She seems to be her own person and doesn't seem to care what others think. I am basing this off of the three or so episodes she has been in. There is evidence supporting what I'm saying. And we all know the history of poor Sara. We've heard it and seen it been referenced numerous times. :rolleyes:But just because she went through that doesn't mean that Riley in anyway is less of a CSI because of it. Nobody said Riley was perfect. Not one person. But then again I totally forgot. Sara Sidle is the 'messiah' of CSI's right? How could she ever compare...

As far as the whole Grissom scenes played out, I wasn't much of a fan. I wasn't a fan of the character or the acting. I mean, any actor can play weepy annoyed left behind boy toy if TPTB give him more than enough time to do so. Lady H was NOT utilized enough. I kind of felt ripped off. Even though they didn't exactly say it, I was expecting (but not hoping for) a Gris/Lady H laced episode, meaning a whole bunch of good Lady moments. But I really didn't find any. I guess maybe if she dies, than she would have a whole bunch of good scenes. I mean, it worked for Warrick, right?:wtf:

8. merrilee

merrilee Civilian

Good episode I liked it. Billy is just amazing about time he got to show his talent, Non of the other actors on the show can hold a candle to his acting.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

[/QUOTE]
    Well, Riley is doing great in my eyes. And she didn't get her job via Gil Grissom. Riley got this job on her accord. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::beer:

Time to move on..I'm stilll pretty sure Lady H didn't sleep with Gil Grissom. She's got way too much respect for that.

I was glad to see she moved on though and is working towards a Psychology degree.

I hope she comes back.

10. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Well, Riley is doing great in my eyes. And she didn't get her job via Gil Grissom. Riley got this job on her accord. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::beer:

Time to move on..I'm stilll pretty sure Lady H didn't sleep with Gil Grissom. She's got way too much respect for that.

I was glad to see she moved on though and is working towards a Psychology degree.

I hope she comes back.[/quote]

I agree Riley is doing a great job and she doesn't have to be a Sara Sidle...she just has to be the new character...sorta of a cross between Gregg of the past and a little bit of sassy Catherine from the past...I like her!

LH was good for the show..she was very provacative and a good match for Grissom's dry affect.

The new lady ,as Nick described her, could be Heather's twin sister, I think we will see her again, a good match maybe for Nick's new and improved self...I love new and more serious Nick, his character has really matured over the years and now we get to see a more serious man who has a real desire to catch the criminal....love it!

And Brass was so Brass...his character really makes this show...he is a gem!

11. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

I wholeheartedly disagree with your blanket statement in the last sentence. The only reason WP seems so great here is because he is a very good actor who has the clout to get the storyline he wants. None of the others have ever been given the chance to show their acting skills because the show has become so Grissom-centered.

I do believe CSI is exploring an issue that needs to be addressed: what happens when you’ve spent your life in denial of your emotional side, then work around death every day. What we’re seeing is a man who does not have enough balance in his life to cope with the evil he investigates. His relationship with the even-more-damaged Sara put too much stress on him; the logical part of him could not make the decision to leave with her because he probably knew, subconsciously, that it’s not what he needs at the moment. He needs to work a lot of his own problems out before he commits to a permanent relationship with anyone. Sara seems to believe a few months at sea has solved her lifetime of unresolved issues. Still in denial. Sara’s unresolved issues will only get in the way of Grissom resolving his own issues. This episode allowed Grissom to give voice to some of his doubts and to set the viewers on the path to understanding why he’s been acting in a manner we’re unaccustomed to thinking of as Grissom-like. I think, by the time Grissom leaves, the writers will have all of us there shoving him out the door with the admonition “Go on, get some help; we’ll be here for you anytime you need us. And if you decide to come back, you know you’ll still be welcome here in the lab, even if it’s just as a consultant.”

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

When I said that Riley was the 'new Sara' I didn't mean to imply that she was like Sara. I meant that she is taking on Sara's role on the team. The 'brother/sister' relationship with Greg and the often witty/sarcastic comments. Her angry glare in the interrogation room and her comment 'take off your shirt' gave me a flashback to 'Anatomy of a Lye'. I think Riley is an amalgamation of Sofia, Catherine, and Sara. But I'm pretty sure she is not a new 'love interest' for Grissom, lol.
    I think this episode gives us the first good glimpse of the new team and their roles. Nick will be the 'new Grissom' father figure (his semi-scolding of Greg and Riley), and Catherine the new supervisor. The scene of the 'new' team around the evidence table is symbolic.

I've enjoyed watching Sara evolve over 8 years. She came to the show with a lot of baggage, but seemed to rise above it. I just want her to end up happy; I think we all want that for our favorite character.
    Riley's character is still new. I'm sure she will have her own baggage, which we will learn about over time; it is CSI afterall!

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Sorry about the double post, but I wanted to respond to this. I think it is spot-on in describing Grissom. But regarding Sara: I think her first departure from LV allowed her to deal with her past, her childhood issues, and her anger about domestic abuse (which I doubt she ever will get over). The time at sea is to try to come to terms with her relationship with Grissom. He is angry with her for leaving, but I believe she realizes he has to work out his feelings alone, just like she is doing. I don't think she is in denial; just the opposite. She has resigned herself to a life without Grissom. I don't really think she expects him to change; that's why she is implying that she is moving on. :(

14. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Don't be so sad. I believe, once G has worked things out, he will go in search of Sara. He can't help her much until he's got his life together. I'm a little disturbed by the father-like attitude he has toward her, but hopefully his therapy will resolve that issue. To be honest, I think Heather is better off as his friend because she deserves someone fully committed to her.

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I agree 1000 per cent with you.:bolian::thumbsup::bolian:

It's time for the other actors, especially, Eric Szmanda, George Eads, Paul Guilofoyle (sp?) and now Lauren Lee Smith to shine.

Not to mention our beloved lab rats, Henry, Mandy, Wendy, Bobby and Hodges-isn't it funny they all end in Y-oh and Archie of course!

Especially George whose put his heart and soul into the show with little returns-I'm focussing on him only because he's my favourite character and in no way am I slighting the others-who I'm sure feel 1000 per cent that way about their characters.

Now back on topic-I hope that new chick comes back and rattles Nick's chain again..that was fun to watch..maybe she's right...maybe Nick is the type to visit those places:guffaw::guffaw:

I'm teasing.

But the girl who played her was a pretty good, young actress. She played evil to the tilt.