Hockey Fans #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 6, 2010.

1. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

Here comes the stanley cup playoffs! Yesterday my family and I were cheering the Penguins team on! They're awesome! Im impressed that they able to hold their lead 3-0 in the game. I didnt go to the game in pittsburgh, it was sold out I would love to go to that games one day! However, the fans at consol energy center went crazy whenever pens score the goal and they go nuts! gotta love the hockey. Go Pens GO!

2. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Yay! Cup time! Go Leafs! Er... right... they already went. :rolleyes:

My husband got roped into doing a playoffs hockey pool at work. Now, for your average Canadian man, this would probably be a piece of cake. But when Christian and I first started dating eight years ago, I had to explain EVERYTHING to him. He still doesn't quite understand what icing and offside means, but at least he now knows the very basics. So we ended up getting my Dad to pick my husband's team for the pool (I know the game, I don't know the players anymore). So far my husband is in first :guffaw:

Maybe next year my boys will actually make it to the playoffs... yeah right. :lol:

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

and wreck a 44 year old tradition :wtf: please :D why would the Leafs put a professional hockey team on the ice when people will pay to watch a minor league team. If the NHL got some sense into their head, yeah I know if that's likely to happen :rolleyes:, and put a team in Hamilton or somewhere else close by then the Leafs will be forced to put a professional team on the ice. Then they may actually win a Stanley Cup. Until then I think the Jays are more likely to win another World Series first :)

4. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

::laughs:: Hey now, don't go insulting minor league teams! I mean, we have the Marlies doing well in the AHL... oh wait, right... well I've got the Petes in the OHL... what? They were the 2nd worst team in the entire league this year? Oh brother... maybe I just have a thing for REALLY bad teams? :guffaw:

The Leafs need so much work... especially since the lock out. Before it, we at least MADE the playoffs each year (and I developed a deep dislike for the evil Sens and Alfredson... seemed every year they knocked the Leafs out LOL!). Since then, we lost a lot of the players that seemed to actually KNOW what hockey was about. The Leafs need guys like Roberts, Tucker (and Corson), Mogilny, and I was always a big fan of Domi. It's the tough guys who have some exceptional abilities that they're lacking.

I think they want to beat the Sox for longest streak :lol:

5. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

Yeah speaking of Leafs, I was surprised how good season they had this year, but I wasn't expecting that Leafs to be eliminated from the playoff. I do know the fact its been years since the last time that Leafs won the cup back in 1967, that was like 41 or 42 years ago? Hmm Coyotes better be win the game tonight to stay alive, despite the Wings is about to sweep them out of the playoff. I would love to see Rangers win the game against Caps team tonight. However, I wasn't expect that habs did lose the game to Bruins from another night, whoo go bruins, Bs go kick those habs' arses! I will watch the scores from all of those games during the Pens vs Bolts game tonight.

Im getting ready to cheer the Pens on! Pens vs Bolts game 4 is about to start in 8 mins from now. Pity that Kuntiz got 1 game suspension which is tonight, he wont be playing, from what I hear that Coach Byslma is putting Tangardi or Comrie in the place of Kuntiz's in Pens' line ups tonight.

Go Pens Go!

6. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Ahahah, World Championships are already in semifinals. Sweden beat today Czech Rep and is in final and now Russia-Finland is in 3rd round and Finland is leading 1-0

Mikael Granlund is 19-yr-olf promise for Finnish hockey. His first WC and dude decides to make this goal in semifinals

http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/#clip466646

:lol: :lol: Damn that's cold. Oh what he'll be...

7. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

NY Rangers Forward Derek Boogaard Found Dead

NEW YORK (AP)
    It may be weeks before authorities know exactly how and why New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard died, although foul play was not immediately suspected.

The 28-year-old player was found dead Friday in his Minneapolis apartment. Few details were available, but the news rippled across the NHL, where the 6-foot-7 Boogaard was a fan favorite and one of the game's most feared fighters. He missed most of last season because of a concussion and shoulder injury from a fight.

''I don't think we have any answers as to what happened or why it happened,'' Ron Salcer, Boogaard's agent, said Saturday.

Authorities received a report of a man not breathing shortly before 6:15 p.m. Friday, Minneapolis police Sgt. William Palmer said. Minneapolis fire officials were the first to arrive and determined he was dead.

Palmer said authorities do not suspect foul play at this point, but the police department's homicide unit and the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office are investigating. Palmer said the medical examiner will decide the cause of death.

An autopsy was being conducted Saturday, but county spokeswoman Carol Allis said results probably will not be released for at least two weeks.

She said in cases with no obvious signs of physical trauma or an obvious immediate cause of death, it takes time to receive results of laboratory tests. Allis said the medical examiner's office doesn't anticipate releasing preliminary autopsy findings until all results are in.

''The news that we have lost someone so young and so strong leaves everyone in the National Hockey League stunned and saddened,'' NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said in a statement. ''The NHL family sends its deepest condolences to all who knew and loved Derek Boogaard, to those who played and worked with him and to everyone who enjoyed watching him compete.''

Glen Sather, the Rangers' president and general manager, called Boogaard an ''extremely kind and caring individual'' and a ''very thoughtful person.''

Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Boogaard was an ''amazing teammate.''

''Anytime anything happened or if you needed anything, Boogy was always there. He was always a pleasure to be around. Always joking and having fun.''

Rangers forward Brandon Prust said on Twitter: ''At a loss for words. I'll miss my roomy Derek Boogaard. You will be missed by everyone. Great friend and teammate.''

Fans, meanwhile, flocked online to express their sadness. For years, fans have been going to YouTube to watch ''The Boogeyman'' do battle.

His final game was Dec. 9 at Ottawa when he fought Matt Carkner and sustained a concussion and shoulder injury. That was the 70th fight of his NHL career, and by midday Saturday more than 80,000 people had watched replays of that fight on YouTube.

Boogaard signed a four-year, $6.5 million deal with the Rangers in July and appeared in 22 games last season. He had a goal and an assist to go with 45 penalty minutes.

Boogaard was out for the last 52 games of the regular season because of his injuries and did not play in the playoffs. He didn't skate again until about three months after the concussion. He was sent home to Minnesota late in the season to work on conditioning.

In several player polls, Boogaard was voted as the league's most intimidating player. When the Rangers signed him last summer, Sather said the decision was made because Boogaard was ''the biggest and toughest.''

He had seven fights with the Rangers. His lone goal of the season was scored at home against Washington on Nov. 9. That ended a drought of 234 games he played without a goal, dating to Jan. 7, 2006. It was the longest streak without a goal in the league.

Boogaard began his NHL career with Minnesota and appeared in 255 games with the Wild from 2005-10. He missed four games with the Wild because of a concussion. In 277 regular-season games with Minnesota and the Rangers over six seasons, he had three goals and 13 assists and 589 penalty minutes.

Minnesota center Pierre-Marc Bouchard played with Boogaard for five years.

''Every player on our team felt a little bit more safe with him on the ice with us,'' Bouchard said in a phone interview. ''He was really tough on the ice, but outside the ice he was a great guy.''

San Jose Sharks coach Todd McLellan coached Boogaard for two years in the minors in Houston.

''He was a lovable guy that everybody liked,'' McLellan said. ''Obviously mean and nasty on the ice. He'll be sorely missed.''

Born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Boogaard was Minnesota's seventh-round choice, 202nd overall, in the 2001 draft. He gained notice in the summer of 2007 when he and brother Aaron ran a hockey-fighting class in Saskatchewan. Some voiced concern about such a camp. Boogaard insisted he wasn't teaching kids how to hurt each other, but rather how to protect themselves so they don't get hurt on the ice.

This is the second death of a player in the Rangers organization in the past three years. Alexei Cherepanov, drafted by New York in 2007, died in Chekhov, Russia, in 2008, after collapsing on the bench during a game. The 19-year-old Cherepanov didn't sign with the Rangers and never played in the NHL.

Roman Lyashenko, who briefly played with the Rangers several years ago, was found dead in a hotel in Turkey while on vacation in 2003. His death was believed to be a suicide.

8. Ducky

OMGGGGGGGGGGG!
    OMFGGGGGGGGGGGG!

6-1 FINLAND WINS!

FOR ONCE SWEDEN IS BEATEN FOR GOOD!!!

Amazing game, just plain amazing.

Friggin' awesome.

*sniff*

9. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

Yeah, Ducky I just saw that highlights of that world semifinals hockey games, Im very impressed of those teams played very well. As for the tragic news on Rangers's own team member D. Boogaard's death. My friend and I were discussing about the autopsy on Boogaard to see what caused its death. I told him I suspect it could be Brain Aneurysm that may be caused by too many concussions? He said its possible.

10. Ducky

^^ About the death. Those are always so sad, no matter what the reason is. Young life gone. Too many concussions or born with brain aneurysm or some kind of heart problem (tho you'd think that would be noticed). Like that young Russian player died a year ago, just collapsed on bench.

--

About Worlds. Just watching how 70,000Finns are at Helsinki waiting for the team arrive. haha, my sister is there somewhere. They said 2.5mil watched the game yesterday, average for the night over 2mil. And there's 5.4mil Finns.

And I don't know if it gets ugly at press when it's Canada vs. Usa but we.. oh with Sweden. It's.. horrible. The bad-mouthing, insulting as much as we can before tha game. Our logo is lion. Well, one Swedish newspaper had drawn it as babylion sucking pacifier and saying Finns are sissies.
    Well, today they had drawn the same babylion that had trown the pacifier away and was biting three crowns (tre kronor, swedish logo) :lol: :lol: And I swear that newspaper will receive lots of pacifiers from Finland! :lol:
    And Mats Sundin had said before the game that Sweden wins for sure so you can only imagine that feedback that was given to him today.
    Of course there's also lots of sad things, when everything goes too far. As you know, we can cross border to Sweden without any stops and in north when we have landborder.. Finns [heh, every time we beat Sweden in somethng] drive to Sweden to celebrate. Causing fights. And idiots this year burning Swedish flags. What a shame.
    It's kind of fun to think of internation hockey. For us, Sweden is the easiest to play against. I think Canada is still the worst... I don't know if it's the way of playing that makes it hard for us.
    And for the total games.. Norway and Germany were big surprise (Germany beat Russia 2-0 and Norway beat Sweden in the first game 6-5)

And finally Jari Kurri got his gold medal ;) (he is GM for the team Finland)

11. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

Hey! its official that Winnipeg Jets is back! I'm surprised that they didn't go with new name, but back to its original name. Now, I'm curious what Winnipeg's jersey gonna looks like, I guess its gonna be new logo. We will gonna find out tonight at NHL draft 2011 on Versus/TSN starting at 7pm.

Another news I heard that Flyers traded Mike Richards to LA Kings and Jeff Carter to Blue Jackets, I was very shocked that they're vital to the Flyers's team, I suspect there is big shake ups going on with Flyers team? Beside Bryzgalov got 9 year contract signed with Flyers.

Psst! fellow Pens fans in here, are you guys gonna watch the NHL draft tonight? Far as I know that Pens only have 5 round picks, and also I'm keeping watching on Jagr's possible return to Pens team.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  12. Ducky

^^ I am surprised about the old name, too! IMHO, they'd have gone with a new one. Like Minnesota did. Oh all the Jets memories are back in headlines, Selänne scored 76 goals [record] in his first season. Even "old" players don't score that much nowadays. Of course the games and teams were bit different (more spesific roles)

For the draft, I have to say I'm lazy follow those because mostly of those young players, I know Finnish ones and sometimes not even them (like Finnish goalie, Christopher Gibson, who was played in some Canadian [Quebec?] junior league) ..I'm just asking.. who? But I am still surprised for so damn small nation, how much we have goalies. And good ones. And new ones coming. Not just those playing in NHL but in KHL and other European leagues.

About Stanley Cup. Didn't watch the finals, didn't want to break my short night but bit sad that Vancouver didn't win. I think it's great different teams in finals and Bruins winning after..was it 36 yrs since last one? And one of the original six.. anyways. IMHO it's more fun to see some "new" teams for the finals and not always Red Wings, Red Wings or like it was ealirer.. Avalance, Avalance etc :p Those were the borings seasons! Past few years, Penguins, Ducks, Blackhawks...
    Yaysies!

13. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

Yeah, the NHL 11 draft wasnt great, however, speaking of trades today, that was major WTF that Jagr didn't sign with pens, pens withdrawl offer, they should have upped the offer to outbeat others' offers to woo him back, unfortunately Jagr decided to go with Pens's arch rival Flyers, yes Philly Flyers... Also another shocking trade, that Maxine Talbot, who saved the day that he and pens won the cup back in 2009, is traded to Flyers as well, get this, he signed whopping 5 year with $9m deal. I was like what the heck?! he shouldnt have turned that 3 year contract offer from pens in first place if he wants to stay as pens that badly. oh well I have to let that go.

beside Michael Rupp got traded to Rangers, and good news that Pens got Stevie Sullivan from Nashville Predators in the process. Im little happy with the trades going on with Pens.

14. Ducky

Dozens killed as Russia plane carrying hockey team crashes

Moscow (CNN) -- A plane carrying Russian, German, Swedish and former NHL hockey players crashed as it took off Wednesday afternoon from Russia's Yaroslavl airport, killing at least 43 people, Russian emergency officials said.
    The Yak-42 aircraft was taking players for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl -- one of Russia's leading ice hockey teams -- to Minsk, the Belarusian capital, the Russian aviation authority told CNN.
    Only two of the 45 people aboard the plane, eight of them crew members, survived, a Russian Emergency Situations Ministry representative said. Eleven of the people on the aircraft were foreigners, the ministry said.
    Russian news agency Interfax reported that the two survivors were Russian forward Alexander Galimov and flight crew member Alexander Sizov, both of whom were being treated in intensive care.
    The team was scheduled to play a match in the new Kontinental Hockey League, Russia's state-run news agency RIA Novosti said.
    Lokomotiv Yaroslavl had a number of players with ties to the National Hockey League, according to the U.S. National Hockey League's official website, NHL.com.
    The NHL cited Russia's Sov Sport website as confirming that the entire main roster of the team Lokomotiv was on the plane, along with four players from the youth team.
    Lokomotiv's head coach, Brad McCrimmon, 52, who was born in Canada, previously played in the NHL and served as an assistant coach with the Detroit Red Wings, NHL.com said.
    Others who played in the NHL include Karel Rachunek, a 32-year-old Czech native; Ruslan Salei, 36, from Belarus; Karlis Skrastins, 37, from Latvia; Pavol Demitra, 36, from Slovakia, and Josef Vasicek, 30, from the Czech Republic.
    Demitra was a former Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks center, RIA Novosti reported, while fellow center Vasicek was formerly with the New York Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes. Salei previously played for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Colorado Avalanche and the Red Wings.
    Twenty-nine bodies have been recovered from the crash site so far, a Russian Emergency Situations Ministry spokesman told CNN. He added that the plane crashed on the banks of the Volga River, with parts of the plane falling to the ground and other parts into the river.
    The Russian Federal Aviation Agency said earlier a number of people had survived the crash, but their condition was critical.
    A national championship ice hockey match between Salavat Yulayev and Atlant was halted in the city of Ufa after reports of the crash.
    Players from both teams and spectators observed a moment of silence before leaving the stadium. Many in the audience were crying, Russian state TV footage showed.
    The president of the Russian national hockey league, Alexander Medvedev, took the microphone at the stadium to say representatives from both clubs had asked for the match to be called off because they had ties to many of those at Lokomotiv.
    He said: "I would like to assure you that we'll do everything we can to make sure that the first-class ice hockey in Yaroslavl will continue and that the Lokomotiv club will remain as one of the strongest clubs in our Kontinental Hockey League."
    An aviation agency spokesman, Sergei Izvolsky, told CNN the crash occurred around 4 p.m. (8 a.m. ET) during takeoff because the plane couldn't reach a safe altitude fast enough.
    The aircraft collided with the antenna of the airport beacon, fell to the ground and broke into several pieces and caught fire, Izvolsky said.
    It was a charter flight with a plane operated by Yak-Service Airlines, he said. Yaroslavl is about 155 miles (250 kilometers) northeast of Moscow.
    Russian President Dmitry Medvedev instructed the country's Investigative Committee and other law enforcement agencies to probe the crash.
    Prime Minister Vladimir Putin also asked Transport Minister Igor Levitin to go to the scene to organize efforts to examine the cause of the crash, Putin's press office reported.
    The crash came as an international political forum opened in Yaroslavl, with participants expected to include Dmitry Medvedev, the prime ministers of France, Spain and Italy and South Korean President Lee Myung-bak.
    Medvedev plans to visit the crash scene to pay tribute to the victims before attending the forum on Thursday, the Kremlin press office said Wednesday.

One of the dead was also Swedish goalkeeper Stefan Liv, who won gold in Turin Olympics 2006 and also the World Championships in the same year. Ruslan Salei wasn't in the plane, because he was waiting for the team in Minsk (since Belarus is his home country)

:(

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

What a tragedy. I don't know a lot of names, but I do know Pavol Demitra as he played for the Minnesota Wild for a couple of years. Prayers go out to all the families and friends of those who were lost. :(