Season 9 Ratings Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by vegaslights, Oct 4, 2010.

1. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

So, the ratings for last night are out...

I have no idea what last year's ratings were. But I can imagine they're down a bit.

2. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Last year the premiere was stronger(14.20 million viewers and a 4.3 rating).
    Everyone expected lower numbers this season but the numbers are still quite strong for a veteran show like CSI:Miami!!!

3. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

I think CBS is very pleased. Here is a portion of their press release:​

At 10:00 PM, CSI MIAMI (P) was second to football in households (7.3/12), viewers (11.84m), adults 25-54 (4.1/10) and adults 18-49 (3.2/08). Compared to the year-ago time period ("Cold Case"), CSI: MIAMI was up +32% in adults 25-54 (from 3.1/07), +45% in adults 18-49 (from 2.2/06) and +18% in viewers (from 10.06m). CSI: MIAMI topped "Brothers and Sisters" in these measures. ​

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

It only got beat by football? Well, I think that's not too shabby then. Pretty much anything is gonna get beat in the ratings by a football game. :lol:

5. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I think all three CSI's fared lower than last year. I'm assuming that people tiring of the CSI brand as a whole.

6. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Seems like such a sad number though considering more than 2 seasons ago they were hitting 16+ million for premieres & "special sweeps" episodes. Ah well, guess we'll see how well CBS can handle these numbers - I have a feeling ratings will be very inconsistant this season.

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I think you're right, MJ. The season premier is usually one of the highest rated episodes of any show. I was expecting them to do better. It surprises me they were down so much from their lead in.

We'll have to wait and see. It will break my heart if Eva and Jon finally get their chance this season and it's too late because everyone has jumped ship due to the fact they couldn't stand watching the past 4 years - just repeating over and over again on a loop - simply stuck on repeat.

If it proves to be true, and not just TPTB lying to us again, that Natalia and Ryan really do get some decent time and stories this year, I hope the word gets out and people give the show one more try for Eva and Jon's sake.

8. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

IMO, the ratings for CSI Miami's premiere were quite acceptable, especially considering they were up against one of the top rated pro games of the season, NY and Chicago. It was disconcerting to see Undercover Boss had higher ratings than CSI M. I was expecting Miami to retain those viewers plus more; didn't happen.
    Back to the drawing board for TPTB to get those stragglers to return to the fold.

9. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Please keep the ratings in perspective. All the major scripted shows are down from the last few years, apparently since the writers strike, which was more devastating to the industry than first realized. It is the new reality. We actually beat the other two CSIs in the 18-49 category. We are doing just fine.

Another perspective from TVbythenumbers:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

In half the U.S., the game was done before CSIM started. Plus, the game wasn't very competitive, so there were plenty of reasons to change channels.

In the Phoenix market, CSIM is on @ 9:00 p.m., pinning it against these heavyweight shows:

Monk (WGN)
    Brothers & Sisters (ABC)
    News (local channel + Fox)
    American Dad (independent)
    Masterpiece Theater (PBS)
    Dateline NBC (NBC)
    Entourage (Spike)
    The Glades (A&E)
    Jersey Shore (MTV)
    Rubicon (AMC)
    Dukes of Hazzard (CMT) :rolleyes:
    Bridezillas...do I need to go on here???

CSIM is up against a bunch of tomato cans in the ratings battle. For them to lose 3 million viewers year-over-year for a season premiere is a huge blow. TPTB can blame it on the proliferation of cable channels, the "bro-mance," the "no-mance," or whatever, but the simple fact remains that CSIM viewers are jumping off the bandwagon; and breaking their ankles doing it.

The writers' strike is a red herring. It is over and done with, and if the union intentionally tried to water down the shows, their members would have been fired in a New York Minute. More likely, it is that we, the TalkCSI members, could probably write a better episode than the current lineup.

11. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

Oh God, this last sentence is quite a challenge..are you really sure you could?
    Anyway, I think that being on Sunday Night will be quite a blow for CSI:Miami anyway. It's a difficult night, many big events and all but I am really hopeful. As a CSI:Miami fan I kinda hope things will be good for the show I love, I watch it because I like it the way it is or I would not be a fan, I guess.

12. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

I think I could. The problem is getting the accurate science into the episode.

I'm not expecting Miami to get very high ratings this year. I also felt that the premier wasn't going to be as much viewed as before.

13. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Up from last week.

HitFix

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Pretty good considering they hour push back!

If they keep the focus on the victim, the science and the team, we might just see a winning season! :)

15. yen35

yen35 Witness

I think this is great considering the fact that people stayed up from 11 to 12 to watch it when the next day was a working day! Hopefully this will continue.