American Idol- Thread #2

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by GregNickRyanFan, Aug 4, 2010.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Time for a new thread. I thought about putting a title like "Changes are coming" what with the whole judge changes, but I didn't know if people would want a title, so I just left it alone lol. I heard last night on Showbiz Tonight that Randy's job may also be in jeopardy.

first thread here.

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Thank you for the new thread GNRF.

From TvGuide.com

American Idol Makeover To Include Nigel Lythgoe, Record Producer Jimmy Iovine

Major changes to American Idol are firming up, among them deals for Nigel Lythgoe to return as executive producer and music executive Jimmy Iovine to play an on- and off-camera role.

Lythgoe, who left Idol two years ago, has signed his deal to return to the show, the network announced Thursday. The So You Think You Can Dance judge and executive producer will run the show alongside longtime executive producer Ken Warwick.

"American Idol became a juggernaut of epic proportions, but to me it was always like home," Lythgoe said in a statement. "I am elated and honored to be rejoining childhood friend and fellow executive producer Ken Warwick, and look forward to creating more magic."

One change Lythgoe says he would like to see? The return of Paula Abdul. That might be difficult, as Abdul has landed a dancing competition show on CBS.

"I still love Paula," he told Variety. "She's signed to CBS, probably exclusively, but I'd recommend we have her in a heartbeat."

Lythgoe also addressed the reports that Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler are in talks to join the show's judging panel.

"They can knock [Lopez's] film career, but [audiences] know she's a good actress," Lythgoe said. "And as J. Lo, she had some great pop records. If she joins, I'm happy."

As for Tyler, Lythgoe says the Aerosmith frontman's unpredictability makes him a good candidate.

"He has come through that whole rock 'n' roll circus," Lythgoe said. "Why wouldn't you want a legend there? You never know what he's going to say. That, as a TV producer, you're interested in."

News first broke last week that Lythgoe was negotiating to go back to the show, which he helped start in the U.S. before leaving after Season 7.

Iovine, chairman of Universal Music Group's Interscope Geffen A&M record label, will serve as "a mentor of sorts" on the show, according to the Los Angeles Times. As a record producer, he has worked with such artists as Bruce Springsteen, U2 and Eminem.

News of Iovine's joining the show comes one day after The Wall Street Journal reported that Idol had struck a new deal with Iovine's Interscope Geffen A&M, which replaces Sony Music as the distributor and promoter of music by the contestants and winners.

Sony will stick with former Idol judge Simon Cowell, who in January announced a long-term all-encompassing partnership with the label. Their first project? Cowell's upcoming music show The X Factor.

No word on what kind of screen time Iovine will get on Idol, but it could be in keeping with the limited appearances by Sony Music Entertainment chief creative officer Clive Davis, who appeared on the show several times as a guest judge.

Fox declined to comment on Iovine.

3. Anna P

Anna P Witness

4. Destiny

Source: TvGuide

Nigel Lythgoe and TVGuide.com Voters Agree: Bring Paula Back to Idol

Sixty-one percent of TVGuide.com voters want Paula Abdul back on American Idol, and so, it turns out, does returning executive producer Nigel Lythgoe.

Of course, getting Abdul to return to the show would be easier said than done: Abdul is attached to host, judge and executive-produce Got to Dance, a dancing competition show for CBS.

"I still love Paula," Lythgoe told Variety. "She's signed to CBS, probably exclusively, but I'd recommend we have her in a heartbeat."

Calls and e-mails to Abdul's rep were not immediately returned.

Lythgoe, who's returning to Idol after a two-year absence, will have final say on the new judging panel for Season 10. He had kind words for
    Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, both of whom have been widely reported as possible judges.

"They can knock [Lopez's] film career, but [audiences] know she's a good actress," Lythgoe said. "And as J. Lo, she had some great pop records. If she joins, I'm happy."

As for the
    Aerosmith frontman, Lythgoe said: "Why wouldn't you want a legend there? You never know what he's going to say. That, as a TV producer, you're interested in."

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Auditions begin on August 11 for season 10 of "American Idol", and as of yet, no annoucement of who all the judges are:confused: a list of where they'll be~

http://www.americanidol.com/auditions/

"You have all the honesty of Abe Lincoln, and the charm of the guy who shot him" Dane Cook to Simon Cowell~

6. Desertwind

Ths cracked me up it's from the TOP TEN list but pertaining to "American Idol".. enjoy:rommie:

TOP TEN QUESTIONS ON THE "AMERICAN IDOL" JUDGE APPLICATION

10..Sup Dawg?

9..Do you enjoy crushing people's dreams on national television?

8..You my dawg?

7..On a scale of 1 to 10, how annoying is Ryan Seacrest?:lol:

6..Can you tell me when dawg is pitchy, dawg?

5..You're not going to all all Paula Abdul on us, are you?

4..Do you have your papers in case we do an audition show in Arizona:wtf:

3..Are you related to any Gagas?

2..Will you need a separate dressing room for your a..? [Jennifer Lopez only]

1..You're aware the show is rigged, right?:eek:

7. Destiny

People.com: Source: Jennifer Lopez Out as American Idol Judge

Jennifer Lopez won’t be a judge on American Idol after all, according to a source close to the situation.

The singer-actress had been closing a deal to be a permanent judge on the show for its upcoming 10th season but the deal fell apart.

“Her demands got out of hand,” says the source. “Fox had just had enough.”

With Simon Cowell and Ellen DeGeneres both departing the talent search, the network had been pursuing a number of celebrities as potential judges, including Aerosmith‘s Steven Tyler.

But now that Lopez is out of the running, the network may be looking at their earlier top picks again.

Other reports have said that the panel could go back to the original three-judge format.

Fox had no comment. A rep for Lopez did not immediately return calls for comment.

8. Della

Della Police Officer

I think Idol have made a huuuuuuge mistake. I know I said that about Ellen Degeneres, but thankfully she appears to have worked well with the others, however....

I'm really sorry but I have to say this, Nigel Lythgoe is an a-hole. I can't believe they're bringing him back. Talk about scraping the scum off the bottom of the barrel. He is such an arrogant, insensitive, mouthy, bolshy, obnoxious git, surely there must be someone better than him.

If they were going for getting in someone like Simon, well, if I were Simon Cowell I'd be downright insulted.

*sheesh* I was hoping the new judges might draw me back into watching this, but not if Lythgoe is on board.

:(

9. GregNickRyanFan

I'm glad that Lopez is not going to be judging. I'm not a fan. :lol:

I heard yesterday Mariah Carey is interested. I think I would enjoy having her as a judge. I'd still rather have Shania, but I'd be fine with Mariah. :)

10. Desertwind

Thank's Destiny. I heard this on the morning news, thank goodness for small favors. I don't think I could have stood Lopez..:( And Mariah is a sweetheart, and She'll be fine, Shania was slo cool when she was on. I wonder when they'll actually announce who's on for sure:confused:

11. Destiny

Source: TvGuide

Kara DioGuardi Feels "Disappointment" Over Idol, Dad Says

Is Kara DioGuardi in or out at American Idol? According to her dad, Joe DioGuardi, even Kara doesn't know whether she'll be returning to the singing competition series.

"Would you believe that she did not hear -- and still has not heard -- anything?" the former congressman, who's seeking the Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate, told the Albany, N.Y., TV show Capital Tonight. "She read it the way you did and I did. Her disappointment is that that's the way she's being treated and she feels that's not proper."

Following Ellen DeGeneres' sudden exit after one season, reports surfaced that DioGuardi was fired after two seasons. The series, which is about to enter its 10th season, recently welcomed back former executive producer Nigel Lythgoe. Lythgoe is tasked with filling the vacancies at the judges table left by DeGeneres and Simon Cowell (rumored replacements include Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler).

Joe DioGuardi, 69, said he believes his daughter, 39, will be fine whether or not she resumes her Idol duties.

"Would she want to do it another year? I think so. But she just got married and she'd like to have a family so maybe this is a good opening for her too," he said. "I think she will, at some point, confront them on that."

Also other stories...

People.com: Will Shania Twain Be a Judge on American Idol?

EW/Popwatch: 'American Idol' exclusive: 'No deals have fallen through due to unreasonable demands,' says well-placed source

12. GregNickRyanFan

If its true and they didn't tell her she was being let go and she had to find out from articles on the net like we did, then that is a pretty crappy thing for them to do to an employee.

13. Desertwind

I heard on the morning new that Steven Tyler is a "GO", but so far nothng from the "AI" folks:confused:

14. Desertwind

15. GregNickRyanFan

They are probably dragging their feet until closer to season premiere time.