How much life left in the CSI series?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by daisymay, Jul 28, 2010.

1. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

I don't like to see long-running series go on and on, with many cast changes and their glory days long behind them, until they go out with a whimper rather than a bang. (ER comes to mind.) As a fan, of course I'd watch CSI for ever, but I'm trying to be objective here. I feel TPTB will just carry on until they're hardly worthy of their name.
    LV - survived a major cast change but about to lose its leading lady. Also lost Warwick who was a strong character. Sara probably strong enough to carry the female lead, but a difficult situation to get to with her married to Grissom.
    NY - still has Mac, and needs him. Don't believe it could survive a change at the top, and it's also losing its leading lady. Suggest it might go another two series before it goes too far downhill.
    Miami... Well, I have to admit it's my favourite, and Horatio is the love of my life. But, that aside, I think it's the one that's suffering most. Frankly, I thought last night's episode (Ep. 803, in the UK) was rubbish. I thought no one was in character. In fact there was little character at all. The writers have so much to work with, in terms of background, and acting talent, and they seem to be ignoring it all. So, if this is how it's going to go on, I think it should end after Series 10 (I can't quite bring myself to say 9). It can't take a cast change at the top. No Horatio, no Miami, IMO. I think the writers should give it what they owe it, make Series 10 as good as Series 1, and let it go with a bang. I'm going to really stick my neck out now, and say how it should end. I guess it's obvious. H can't walk off into the sunset like Grissom. He's always been more action man than labrat. He's always taken insane risks. So, it will, finally, get him killed. There, I've said it. We deserve a really wonderful death scene. I'll cry buckets, and mourn his passing forever, but it's the only ending I can see.

Right, I'll keep my head down for a bit! It's just my view. Interested to hear yours.

2. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Based on tv ratings I think that all CSI shows will end within three years time,although I want to see as much seasons as possible.

3. preatorian

preatorian Dead on Arrival

CSI:LV is really the only one I watch, so I can’t say much about the others. The CSI franchise is still making CBS money, and as long as the shows makes them money, they will continue with more seasons. It’s economics.

Next season looks like Thursday nights (in the US) will be CBS powerhouse night with its top rated shows playing that night. The Big Bang Theory leads the night followed by the new show The $#*! My Dad Says. Then CSI is followed by the Mentalist. It’s a big night for the network.

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

As long as it's going strong and keeps high in the ratings, how about 10 more years? Marg did say on her radio interview She "could see it going on for years":bolian:It's still riveting, and the stories in S/10, were incredible, and the new man Laurence Fishburne is captivating and fabulous, so when we've got this great powerful cast, forever sounds good!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  5. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

I understood the ratings were going fairly rapidly in the wrong direction. Am I wrong? I understand the economics, I do. CBS has all the infrastructure set up so why not go on making it? That's my main point though. They cannot keep up the quality, and I think that's a disservice to everyone involved, including the viewers. If anyone doubts the fall in quality (it has to be Miami again, sorry), I've just run the last 2 episodes of Series 1 and then looked at Ep. 3 of Series 8. All right, a little lack of freshness and originality I'd expect, but this is such a drastic difference it makes you want to cry.

6. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

The economic situation is used as an excuse. The truth they're simply out of creativity to improve the show. All things starts to become the same and the same. :(

As I suggested elsewhere, twisting plots, or making multiple episodes-cases (one case multiple episode) might stretch the life of the show. These approaches will become old too.:(

7. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I think after this season, the csi franchise should stop. They're running out of ideas for each of the shows and now I think it's time to stop after this year.

8. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

It's not necessarily, to stop! I've been thinking about this, after posting a reply yesterday.

They should take a break first after finishing the current season. Take more time to brainstorm again, reorganise and reselect the characters, and new ideas will flow in.

9. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

Good idea!

It would be good to give the writers a break and come up with fresher material for each of the shows.:thumbsup:

10. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

Marg leaving is really going to effect CSI, it's hard to say what's going to happen after she leaves, I could see season 12 being the last :(

Miami is going to have a tough time with its new timeslot on Sundays, though I think it beats NY's new timeslot on Fridays, that and losing Melina is going to kill the show this season or next :(

11. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

Technically (CSI) spoken, CSI: Miami is the evidence that the show can survive with a proper change in cast. After Rory Cochrane and Khandi Alexander left the show, people are still watching.

CSI: NY will manage, if no one else is planning to leave for the upcoming two or three seasons. Therefore, new members needs to be introduced for the future season. Is there really nobody, who remember the character named Haylen Becall?

In case of CSI Las Vegas, it happened quite massively. Though it was for short while, Jorja Fox, left the show. Within a short time followed by Gary Dourdan and William Peterson. The next season appears to be last for Marg Helgenberger. Again to many characters leaves within a short period.

As I said earlier: the priority is take a break first after finishing the current seasons. Spend more time in brainstorming, and ideas will flow in.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i don't see too much life left either - i stopped watching miami ages ago and vegas last season too. ny is the only one i really care about and the last season was quite hit & miss. i did say once i didn't think it could survive for more than a season if either mac or stella left - i'm not sure whether that'll be true. i think if mac left it'd be dead in the water, but stella, i'm undecided still. we'll see i guess. but i can't see it going on for too much longer.

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I'll re-post this, I beleive that it could go on for years. The top writers Carol Mendelsohn and Ann Donohue just signed on with CBS for 4 more years, so I don't know if this includes CSI, but so far so good. Whatever works..works:bolian:

14. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

It appears that the departure of a regular cast member has an impact on the series? Why's that? It's understandable that the show needs something new to keep it attractive to us. Is it really necessary to rely on the cast?

15. DA300789

DA300789 Hit and Run

i only watch CSI:LV and i think it has a few more series in it yet. with marg leaving yeh it may lose a few followers but its got strength to continue on.

as fo the other two i personally couldnt get ing to CSI:miami but i do watch CSI:NY sometimes i do think they also have more to go yet.