Tassler Reveals What Is In Store For 'CSI'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Aug 4, 2009.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

At the TCA Summer Press Tour, CBS Entertainment President <font color=yellow>Nina Tassler</font> discussed the decline in ratings during <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I>'s ninth season and what's in store for season ten.<P>Tassler said the ratings decline was due to more than <font color=yellow>William Petersen</font>( Gil Grissom)'s departure. "It wasn't just about losing Billy," she explained. "That show had some monumental changes last year. You lost Warrick [Brown, <font color=yellow>Gary Dourdan</font>], you lost Sara [Sidle, <font color=yellow>Jorja Fox</font>] and Grissom. You introduced a new character to the show. For those of you who don't know, <font color=yellow>George Eads</font> [Nick Stokes] was having back issues at the end of last season, so he wasn't as present in the show. Fans were a little unsure as to where the show was going."<p>"What they wanted more than anything else, and we listened to viewers, we listened to research, we talked to producers -- they wanted to see the group back together," Tassler continued. She said the challenge with introducing <font color=yellow>Laurence Fishburne</font> (Dr Ray Langston) was making him "an outsider coming in." She added, "He didn't just sort of insert himself right from the start in an authoritative position, that he earn his way into a place of authority amongst the team. So there was a gradual introduction to the character. He was an outsider, but fans wanted to see him in a more take-charge capacity. You're going to see all of that this season."<p>"He's more versed in the language of <I>CSI</I>," Tassler explained. "He's had a little bit of a wardrobe makeover. Our research and fans say they love and respect him, but they wanted to see him more comfortable in his clothes. We're very excited about the new season, and like I said, we're very respectful of the fans. We have a loyal fan base [and I] think they're going to be happy what they see."<p>In addition to the changes with Fishburne's character, Catherine Willows (<font color=yellow>Marg Helgenberger</font>) is going to give Nick a promotion. And as CSI Files previously <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/300709_01.shtml">reported</a>, Sara will be returning for five episodes. A spoiler posted by <A class="link" HREF="http://jorjaallaround.livejournal.com/">Jorja All Around</a> reveals that Sara and Grissom are married by the time she returns to the Las Vegas crime lab.<p>The original information is from <A class="link" HREF="http://www.ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=8470">iFMagazine</a> and <A class="link" HREF="http://community.livejournal.com/jorjaallaround/578539.html">Jorja All Around</a>.<center></center>

2. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

I'm going to quote Wendy from CSI 7x20 Lab Rats ...honestly, I think you've lost your damn mind

3. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I'm sooo happy that Nick finally gets a promotion. He really deserves it, what with being the "ironman" of the show.

What I'm really disappointed with is hearing the news that Sara and Grissom are now married. Sheesh, this is just too much GSR overload. Crap, now GSR, though we won't see it on screen, will still overshadow the start of Season 10. Come on! Enough already, please!!

Bringing Sara back is just a tourniquet over a really, really big wound. I don't think it will boost overall ratings in the long run. I think, maybe it's time for everyone, including TPTB, to realize that it's time to pack things up and go out at least, with the show's dignity still intact, going out, so to speak, in their own terms and going out, at least while the show is still in the top 10. Just my opinion...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

"This isn't Broke-back Mountain, this is CSI! I refuse to watch until George's back is completely fine!" :lol::lol::lol:

- First of all, that's a pretty lame excuse not to give GE a decent amount of screentime (except for the Taylor Swift episode). He's a CSI, not an acrobat at the Cirque Du Soleil. Second, did Cath, Greg, Riley, the labrats, etc... hurt their backs too?

- Yeah, because all Langston needs is a change of wardrobe. And to be even more in charge (which would be like, CSI 2?). Wasn't the excess of "Langston in charge" what people didn't like about him? Besides, had it been the wardrobe, CSI would have sunk in the third season or so.

5. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:cough: Bulls&^! :cough:

What fans wanted that? Seriously? I've never seen anyone say that! And we're gonna see him in a more in charge capacity? No thank you. I'm definitely going to be watching Supernatural at 8 instead of CSI. I may or may not record CSI. But I'll probably FFwd through all of the "Langston Hour". :( Me = not happy.

:guffaw: so true!

True, he totally deserves a promotion. :)

:lol: What's that quote from? You put quotations around it, so I'm assuming its a quote?

Totally agree with you. Some of the lack of screentime may be due to his back, but a lot of it was due to Langston getting too much. And good question about Cath, Greg, Riley, etc.

Exactly. That was the biggest complaint about him, so either they're lying about polling fans or they polled only pro-Ray fans (and did so purposely). They didn't ask me. I personally think that they are full of bologna. They don't give a rat's hiney about what the fans want. Period! They're just like politicians. Say and do only enough to get votes/ratings. Thus, bringing Sara back. Not that I mind her being back, but its a definite ratings stunt. :lol: They pretty much confirmed that in this article by saying "fans wanted the team back together". That's fine, but the crap about Langston is bull. No one I've seen has had issues with his wardrobe. Nick told Langston he didn't have to dress up every day. :lol: But, I don't recall fans saying anything like that. Who cares what he wears? I mean... honestly. :lol: I could care less what he wears. In fact I don't pay that much attention to what he wears. :lol:

:lol: I'm just glad Greg quit wearing those shirts that look like they were borrowed from Papa Olaf's closet. :lol:

6. Hadapurpura

Hadapurpura Witness

Nah, I was just trying to picture the imaginary fan who said it in NT's world :lol:

7. GregNickRyanFan

Oh okay. :lol:

8. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Seriously, who did they ask about Ray? I want to know. Because I don't think anyone on this site thinks that it's a good thing to have him be in so many scenes and be so non-rookie.

Dear TPTB: It's okay to admit that you made a mistake. But fix it. Don't try and fail to cover it up.

9. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

I think I'm going blind. Where's the respect? I don't see it. :rolleyes:

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

ITA..since when. They only listen to a small group of fans.

And frankly, I didn't care about Langston's wardrobe, he could dress up as a Buddhist monk for all I care.

Hmmm...this quote is giving me deja vu..

The reality is GE has brought in good ratings in the past with episodes like Gum Drops. So his lack of screentime probably did affect ratings. I heard a lot of peple say, 'dang Billy's leaving, well, George is still there.."

Personally, I think Grissom leaving was what caused the ratings to tank. The show was done through his narrative, it didn't matter who they brought in, it was doomed when he left.

But as I've said before, the show would have had a better chance had the writers been more willing to balancing screentime, it would have weaned viewers off Grissom.

Oh well. Life will go on, even if CSI doesn't. Ten years is a good run.

11. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

maaan, i agree with all of you that the Ray ideas are a total miss. although, i have to admit that when he first came around, i was irritated by his lack of professionalism and rookie-ness. i think i said i preferred if he was a boss. mostly b/c CSI doesn't have a mentor, a leader anymore and Catherine is being ignored. but that was BEFORE Langston got an amazing amount of screentime. i don't mind it too much, but i realize most of the people that voice their opinion online aren't happy with it.

i think that maybe the've done some kind of a telephone poll. people who go on the CSI fansites on the internet are hardly the majority and it's *possible* the average viewers think like i did 8 months ago. you know, some 50 year old manager comes back from work and sees LF being a moron and misses the superiority of Grissom.

anyway, did i mention i'm stoked about the new GSR news? :D i think TPTB listened at least to Nick fans and are giving him a promotion, and wanted to bring back the GSR fans with the crazy awesome news. i don't think the marriage thing is gonna take up much from the episode, probably just a mention and a few shocked/happy/amused looks from the team. 2-4 minutes tops. ;)

ETA:
    i agree to some degree. i think it was a huge blow and they hadn't recovered from it yet. WP was Grissom but he also produced the show and brought his own input in its developement. he thought that CSI is a smooth running train after so many years and it will go on with or without him. he might've been mistaken this time.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  12. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Seriously. I think that there's a gas leak somewhere. 'cause it smells like somebody just let out the graddaddy of all farts. :rolleyes::wtf::mad::censored::angryrazz::scream::brickwall:

13. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

^ lol. I won't be surprised if next time Tassler says:

According to further research our viewers feel a special need to see more Ray and we will, of course, comply. Season 10's new theme is 'Langston in *every* scene'! To make our fans even happier, we are working on placing mirrors everywhere in the lab that are going to reflect his face! So now, you'll get at least 3 Langstons each time! This way we hope for a ratings raise to at least 30 million per episode.

umm, good luck. :p

14. GregNickRyanFan

^^LMAO :guffaw:

I think they're in for quite a surprise this season or rather a shock. Sure the eps Sara's back in (and any that Griss might appear in) will probably do fine in the ratings, but other eps will probably flunk big time if they continue to give Ray more screentime.

15. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

Last season I didn't watch the two major episodes (200th and Finale) because of Ray Langston. And I even wrote into CBS and *told* them that.

I liked Ray when he was a bumbling CSI Level 1 who couldn't lift a fingerprint. I did. I would have given him a chance then.

I guess I'll be missing more of Season Ten now that Ray's more in charge.

And I honestly cannot see how they can promote Nick because he's already a Level 3, there's nothing to promote him to! Plus, if they *did* promote him to supervise another shift (not that Cath has the authority to do so) then *that* goes against the whole 'we're putting the team back together' thing.

All in all? I'd like to know just what 'fans' they supposedly talked to, and just which fans they supposedly 'respect'. Something is rotten in the state of California. :rolleyes: