CSI: NY--'Communication Breakdown'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Mar 26, 2009.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<p><b>Synopsis:</b><p>An altercation on a train reveals the dead body of a Native American man. The man is identified as Amos Delaware, the chief of the Montiquan Indian Nation. The man appears to have been killed by a bullet that was fired outside the train and slammed into Delaware. Using the trajectory and speed of the train as well as the time the bullet hit Delaware, Hawkes and Adam are able to come up with an origin location for the shot. Mac and Stella knock on the door of the apartment the shot was fired from and speak with the Paiks, whose daughter Gahee tells them her father fired his gun at her boyfriend that morning. Mac and Stella arrest Lee Paik, but Sid and Hawkes soon learn that the case isn't as clear cut as it seems when they perform the autopsy and discover that a thin, black string-like object caused sepsis in Delaware and apparently led to his death. While Hawkes works on identifying the item, Danny, who is fixated on picking out a name for the baby he is certain will be a boy, and Stella go to the hotel room where Chief Delaware resided. They find a maid cleaning it and Liam Connover, the hotel's I.T. expert in the process of removing Delaware's computer. Stella puts a halt to both processes and the two scour the room for clues. Stella finds a diary and a torn blueprint for a Montiquan Cultural Center.<p>Back at the lab, Hawkes is able to ID the black object as baleen from a whale's mouth. It was tied up in a neat little bow and inserted into food--likely an oyster--and given to Delaware. Hawkes has found one company licensed to sell baleen in Manhattan: Agra Imports. Stella finds a motive in Lexus Nexus when she discovers that Agra Imports and the Montiquan Tribal Nation were in a dispute over a piece of land. Flack and Angell pay Leila Vara, the current owner of Agra Imports, a visit and are surprised to learn that she bears no ill will towards Chief Delaware: he visited her a few days ago and promised to return the piece of land. Mac and Danny pay a visit to the building owned by the Montiquan Tribal Nation, but without a warrant, they can't go inside. Danny notices a sophisticated new telecom connection on the side of the building. Stella pores over the Chief's diary, but she's not able to translate most of it, though she does encounter one word several times: tehonzuk. Adam has identified splinters in Delaware's leg as coming from a stick used in a hurling game, and he zeroes in on Finn Wexford, the captain of the Queens Hurling Club, who lost his practice field to the Montiquans. Flack and Angell go to question the aggressive young Irishman, who tells them that Delaware came and broke his stick when Finn threatened him. But after doing so, the Chief told them they could continue to use the field. Finn gets aggressive with Flack and finds himself in cuffs.<p>Adam determines the baleen sample is 300 years old, sending Stella back to Delaware's hotel room. When she discovers baleen was used as a method of killing wolves by the Montiquan, Mac gets a list of Montiquan tribe members and finds only one in New York: Liam Connover. Stella recalls meeting him briefly at the hotel. Danny and Adam crack the case: they've discovered the Montiquan building is being used as a house for servers hosting online poker games, which are illegal in the U.S. Danny points out that a company named LCV--Liam Connover Ventures--paid for the servers, and Mac notices a user named LCV cheating at poker. Mac, Flack and Danny go to the building and apprehend Liam. Mac and Stella interrogate the young man, telling him they know Chief Delaware figured out what he was doing and decided to pull the plug on the operation. Liam pretended to make peace with Delaware, but poisoned him with the baleen. Mac and Stella join the rest of the team in the break room where Danny is continuing his search for a boy's name--until he gets a text from Lindsay informing him that the baby is a girl.<p><b>Analysis:</b><p>Overkill meets obvious to the Nth degree in the latest episode of <i>CSI: NY</i>, which has all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. The show has more or less blissfully ignored the multicultural heart of Manhattan for three and a half seasons--the first season had a much more authentic feel to it that the lighter and brighter version mandated from season two onwards has lacked. Trying to cram all that diversity into one episode comes off as ridiculously false and forced. For a show that has unrealistically focused on Caucasian, upper class crime to the exclusion of everything else, to suddenly feature so many people of different ethnic backgrounds speaking in their native tongues feels not only false but vaguely condescending. It's as if, after three and a half years, someone suddenly remembered that New York is made up of an incredibly diverse population and decided to feature them all in one episode. No doubt by the next episode, the show will return its focus to the wealthy and the white, but hey, this week we got to see ethnic folks riding the train!<p>Perhaps it wouldn't seem like such overkill if the show hadn't devoted so much of its focus to upper class crime; if we'd seen, here and there, people speaking in languages other than English, the plethora of non-English speakers wouldn't feel so jarring in this episode. Has there ever been another episode of <i>CSI: NY</i> that featured subtitles? Other than Stella--and Diakos in <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/newyork/season5/the_cost_of_living.shtml">"The Cost of Living"</a>--speaking Greek, has there been another foreign language spoken on <i>CSI: NY</i>? Let's face it: this show has never done justice to the diverse, multicultural population of New York City and to suddenly try to fit it into one episode is too little, too late. It also feels gimmicky--the case has to do with a Native American victim and his tribe, so is there really a point to having random witnesses and suspects speaking French, Korean and even <i>Gaelic</i>? English speakers take the train, too.<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/reviews/csi/communication_breakdown.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Excellent review, as usual. :)

I agree that this episode was major overkill - I don't think there was anything subtle about the entire thing. The diversity suddenly crammed into one storyline, the various main characters speaking other languages, Danny's continuous discussion about the baby names...

Speaking of the names - I'm with you on the gender thing. As soon as they stressed the boy names, I knew it would be a girl - and I would have bet money the moment Danny said it was definitely going to be a boy.

The case also had a few too many coincidences - but then again, this is CSI:NY and the cases seem to be built on coincidences half of the time. Lee Paik shot out his window, and it just happened to go through the window into the train! - just as someone was holding a gun on said train! - and Lee's bullet hit someone! - who just happened to be already dead! :rolleyes:

Flack and Angell were good in this one - the only thing I didn't like was the corny computer voice reading the translation at the end. That kind of pulled me out of it. I think her saying, 'Come over to my place later and [insert line in French]' would have gotten the point across. Flack is getting lucky - I for one would have come to the correct conclusion without the translator-ma-bob.

Overall, it was an okay episode - some of the character interaction was good, some of the case was good. It was good, but it could have been better.

Also - a text message? Seriously? :rolleyes: Danny talked to her on the phone in the last episode, why would she share such a major piece of news through a text message?

(By the way, why must the other characters ask Danny how Lindsay is doing? Do they not communicate with her themselves? Must all interaction go through Danny to get to her? Could Stella or Mac not get a message or be shown talking to her on the phone? I know she and Danny are ZOMG MARRIED, but I'm supposed to believe she's friends with all of these people. We're not so moronic that we'll forget that they're married and having a child if the writers don't apply the information with all the nuance of a sledgehammer at every given opportunity. :rolleyes:)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  3. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Great review as usual Kristine! :D Overkill seems to be spot on. That subway scene where those numerous languages were being spoken was very overwhelming. Definite overkill!

I like how the show is paying homage to the diversity of the Big Apple showcasing the various ethnic groups that has become part and parcel of NYC. But they were trying too damn hard and sometimes they don't even get it accurately. For instance, in the subway scene, the Filipino couple was so freakin' stiff. The Filipino woman was telling her boyfriend in the Filipino dialect Tagalog, "Minamahal kita" and the boyfriend reciprocated with, "Iniibig kita." Both mean "I love you." But if you're the average educated Filipino, you'll probably only use those phrases in poetry or in a song. That's too damn formal and rarely used in conversational Tagalog or Taglish. Filipinos code-switch between English and Tagalog seamlessly, even combining the two languages into Taglish. TPTB should have chosen to use other Tagalog phrases since conversational Taglish would have the Filipino couple saying, "I love you!" or "Ilabyou!" (this though is for exaggeration purposes) to each other.

I hope so too...I kind of miss the edginess and grittiness of the first season.

That was such a funny scene! I love Hawkes's quip about getting names from the cast list of The Godfather II. Plus, I understand Hawkes's remark about the child getting teased in the playground because of his or her name. Children can be pretty cruel. I hate it when parents name their children ridiculous names that can get their children beaten up on the playground! :lol:

I'm not a Flack/Angell shipper, but yeah they seem to be the antithesis to the D/L ship.

One thing that has got me distracted lately is the fact that the show has been featuring all these high-tech gadgets. This has me scratching my head wondering if those actually exist and are being used by real life CSIs.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  4. csimania19

csimania19 Rookie

great review as usual:)

totally agree. no one says "iniibig/minamahal kita". lol. and btw, the filipino girl spoke to the police in english! haha. but still, they featured filipinos, and i love tptb for that. haha.

totally agree with you on this. i wouldn't think flack and angell have a somethin' somethin' during the interrogation/arresting scenes. but once they get out of that "business" side, man. hot. lol.

and yeah, i just realized that breaking major news such as the gender of your baby can be casually addressed through a text message. O.O "hey, its a girl. *smiley*" LOL.

5. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Great review, Kristine! I agree about the sudden influx of languages. Seriously, it was a subtle as if I suddenly walked into school speaking fluent Lithuanian or Czech... once you hit a certain age, you can all of a sudden be true to your heritage. :lol:

I agree. That would've been more fun, actually.

Yeah. The only language I'm sure was done correctly was French, and the only reason of that is because Emmanuelle Vaugier is French-Canadian, and she speaks fluent French.

6. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I totally agree!! Couldn't she have called Danny on her cellphone to tell him the big news? Or even used Skype, so at least Danny could've seen her face while telling him the sex of the baby? Nooo, she had to just text him!! How lame is that? It just goes to show how Lindsay values her marriage to Danny. Don't tell me she's trying to save money in a bad economy with news of such enormity! :rolleyes:

7. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

I have to agree with you that it was odd for them to have Lindsay find out the sex of the baby without Danny and then text it to him. :/

And they did make it so obvious it would be a girl.

It didn't bother me though that Danny was making a list of name ideas. He and Lindsay were obviously going to talk about it but he was just making a list. I don't see the issue or see how that makes them disconnected. I think he was just excited and also trying to distract himself while she was in Montana. *shrugs*

Obviously this comes down to different views but I actually find Flack and Angell completely unnatural together. I don't see the chemistry at all. I was actually dying of secondhand embarrassment during their scenes. :lol:

8. electra

electra Pathologist

On the positive side,at least now D/L are communicating and we know that they are together for sure.They still make me cringe but is an improvement for them.

Now Flack and Angell,that's something else.I LOVE their chemistry but was on the fence due to the D/L fiasco.I should have trusted the writers becouse their scenes were amazing.

Great review:thumbsup:

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah, that was just absurd! CSI shows in general showcase a lot of these coincidences, but like one of the characters said--what are the odds of a guy firing a gun outside the train and hitting the only dead person on the train?

It further highlights Lindsay's disconnect from the rest of the cast. That scene at the end was a great team bonding moment--sans Lindsay. She still doesn't really have a place among them, even after three and a half seasons on the show. Her biggest role is carrying Danny's child.

Danny certainly came up with some terrible names! I think he'd better leave the baby's name up to Lindsay.

Yeah--I think that easily could have been a quick phone call. Danny could have stepped away to take the call and then everyone could have quieted down to listen in and we could have figured out from his reaction that Lindsay was giving him important news. Then he could hang up and share that news with the team.

Seriously, no woman lets the father of her child know the sex of their baby in a text message. :rolleyes:

Mac made the point for me--Danny was talking to everyone but Lindsay about names for their baby. It's just another of many signs for how they simply fail to connect to one another on any level.

Yeah, definitely different perspectives! Their flirting seems natural to me, and the fact that it doesn't rear its head into every scene they have together speaks of a much more natural chemistry than the other couple on the show share.

They're not communicating much though. And it would have been easy to show that they were: Danny could have made reference to Lindsay thinking he was getting ahead of himself assuming it was a boy or Danny mentioning a few names Lindsay likes. But it's clear that they're still going about things separately--he's picking out baby names on his own while she's finding out the sex of the baby on her own. It amazes me how little they connect--even though they're now married!

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I thought it was bizzare that Danny said "the baby" instead of "our baby" or even "my baby." It's a pretty small thing, but I just found it really odd.

11. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

^Even when I was pregnant I found myself calling my own baby THE baby. Phrases like: The baby kicked or the baby kept me up all night or the baby is due in a month. Using MY for THE in those situations seems odd to me. Of course once I found out they were boys, THE was replaced with HE. I'll be interested to see if Danny starts using SHE.

12. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I was talking to my sister and she said the same thing. I guess it just sounded weird to me because I've never had kids.

13. Top41

One thing I did notice? When Danny was telling Stella about how his mom had two boys and Lindsay's mom had three, he said "I'm going to have a boy." Not we--I.

14. Half

Half CSI Level Two

See, I thought Danny's was saying that his grandmother had three boys. Because the line was "My mother had two boys, her mom had three." It's very oddly worded, because I really thought he meant that his mother's mother had three sons. It is odd that he said I, but doesn't that in a way make sense? Lindsay wasn't there, he was talking to Stella, and they were talking about Danny's insistence that he was going to have a son. It's still odd, but isn't that what you would say if you were defending your certainty?

15. Top41

I guess that's possible. It is oddly worded--I assumed he was talking about Lindsay.

Well, the baby is still theirs, so I'd still expect him to say "we're going to have a boy" or something like that. Not a big detail at all, though if you put it in with the rest of Danny's behavior, it certainly fits.