Lapse - A GSR Fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by MissMurder, Feb 22, 2009.

1. MissMurder

MissMurder Lab Technician

Lapse

Chapter 1

The warm Las Vegas air blew across the desert, causing the sands to rise into thin sheets in the sky. The woman, standing only a few feet away from the small sandstorm, photographed the scene in front of her. A few strands of her wavy chestnut brown hair flew into her face, the morning sunlight highlighting her figure from behind.

She had been sent on this case solo by her supervisor, he usually only did this if he was angry with her. As far as she could tell, she had not done anything to unnerve him lately. She had kept her distance these last few months. She was thankful that it seemed to be a pretty open and shut case. The suspect had broken under the expert interrogation of Jim Brass and confessed to the killing. Sara had been sent to the area where he had told them he had dumped the body.

She soon finished with the scene and then left for her vehicle. It wasn’t until she reached her car that she saw the expression on Brass’ face. The colour from his face seemed to drain until he was ghostly white. Her heart began to pound with an unknown panic, she didn’t know what was wrong but she knew it was horrible. She then heard the scanner. The woman on the other end of the transmission was screaming "Officer down!" Soon she gave the address to where the injured officer lay; it was the address of the crime scene Gil Grissom had been investigating.
    Grissom, her supervisor, injured. The colour soon drained from her face as well. Sara Sidle had never felt this scared in her lifetime.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Grissom also had a solo case; he felt a need to get away from the people he cared about for a few hours. He didn’t know why exactly, he just needed space. Lately his feelings for a certain lanky brunette were increasing in force. The strength of said feelings was beginning to frighten him. He thought that if he focussed on work by himself they would disappear until he was ready to handle them. But they didn’t.

Throughout his investigation of the apparent suicide in the home he was standing in at that very moment, his thoughts never drifted from Sara Sidle. He knew he couldn’t keep denying it any longer; however, he had no idea how to go about telling her. He knew how much he had hurt her in the past, including that very year. He saw the hurt and disappointment in her eyes when he had overlooked her for the promotion. Also, he knew that she knew his reason for picking Nick was false.

Sara was the better CSI out of the two. She had the higher solve rate and was probably right for the job all except for one aspect; her volatile nature. Yet he knew she could control it if she forced herself to settle down. Maybe it was her volatile nature around the politics of being a leader that made him overlook her? But if that was the case, he should have never been chosen for the supervisory position either.

He continued to work in his trail of thought, much like a robot carrying out its programmed duties, so much so that he never heard the footsteps of the person on the flight of stairs outside of the room, nor when the person entered. The last thing he remembered was a sharp pain at the back of his head, his last thought being of Sara.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sara was the first to arrive at the hospital where Grissom had been taken to. She bolted to reception and demanded to know where the love of her life was. The nurse tried to calm her down and told her he still being treated and she had to wait. Sara huffed and threw herself down on a chair in the waiting area.
    Soon after Brass, Catherine Willows and Nick Stokes arrived, soon followed by Warrick Brown and Greg Sanders. She told them that there was still no word on Grissom’s condition and was still being seen to. They seemed to wait forever:

"Surely they have to know something by now?" an anxious Nick said. "I mean it has been...two and a half hours."

"He could be bad Nicky." Catherine told him. "According to what the officer who found him said, he suffered a pretty horrific head injury. There was a lot of blood."

Everyone stayed silent, nobody knew of Grissom’s injuries and they were all becoming impatient with the hospital staff. It was another forty five minutes before a doctor came out to brief them of his condition:

"Are you all here for Gil Grissom?" asked the doctor.

Simultaneously the team answered: "Yes."

"Well Mr Grissom has sustained a serious injury to the back of his head; it has created an open wound, and a small fracture to the skull. We managed to seal the wound well with no complications however he has not woken up yet. That may take another few minutes to a few hours. We’ll know more when he wakes. Unfortunately that is a waiting game."

The team thanked the doctor and asked if they could sit in his room. The doctor allowed this but told them if the nurses have to work on him they were to leave immediately. They all agreed.

It was another two hours before Grissom returned to consciousness. Sara was the first to notice his eyes flutter and adjust to the light in the room. She slammed the nurse call button, giving the others a shock.
    The doctor and nurse entered the room and attended to Grissom:

"Mr Grissom, I’m Dr. Wood do you know where you are?" he said while shining a small light into Grissom’s eyes.

The nurse ushered the team from the room. They were maddened by this but knew the medical staff had to do their job.
    A few minutes later Dr. Wood left the room and walked up to them:

"I’m afraid I have some bad news. Mr Grissom does recognize his name but doesn’t know who he is or where he is. That meaning he has no recollection of his work or reputation and therefore no memory of why he is in Las Vegas. It may take some time for his memory to return, though people with amnesia have been known to gain their full memory back, it is possible some will not return. You may see him, but do not be shocked if he doesn’t recognize you."

The team were stunned, and listened carefully as the doctor also explained that Grissom will need attention most of the time and that certain items and situations may trigger his memory. They then entered the room after the doctor left:

Grissom looked cautious: "I take it you are the friends the doctor was talking about?"

"Yes." answered Catherine. "How are you feeling?"

"I have a headache." The team chuckled nervously at this. They then took turns to speak with him individually.

When it was Sara’s turn she watched as the team left the room to give her the same privacy each of them had, then turned to Grissom. Her heart ached for him:

"Hi." She said softly.

"Hi." He replied, his tone of voice matching hers. He had no idea who this woman was, but he had a feeling she was important to him. "May I know your name?"

Sara ignored how strange that felt to her: "Sara. I’m Sara Sidle."

"Sara? That’s a pretty name."

She giggled: "Thank you."

"So I have been told I have to have someone close to me look after me for a while."

"Yeah, out of everyone who has talked with you who do you feel most comfortable around?"

"Well, I’m not sure. We haven’t talked for long so until we have talked for a while longer I won’t say."

"Fair enough."

"Why do I feel like I should recognize you?"

"Well we are all your friends, maybe that is..."

"No." He interrupted. "I didn’t have this feeling with anyone else."

"Oh." She was shocked. "Then I am not sure."

He smiled: "I feel more comfortable around you than anyone else." His voice was quiet, but Sara was able to hear him. He sounded shy.

She returned his smile. She knew if he asked her to be the one to take care of him she would feel awkward at first, but she wouldn’t refuse. Even though their relationship was in tatters, if he wished for her help, she’d give it to him.

"Will you...uh...be the one to...help me?"

"Of course I will. However the team may find that strange."

"Why?"

"You don’t need to know right now, just rest for now."

He did as he was told. He didn’t understand why, but he felt a stronger connection to Sara than any of the others.

2. HipHuggers#1Fan

HipHuggers#1Fan Rookie

I am not really a GSR fan(I have nothing against it, though), but I really like this storyline. The "I feel you" type. It's very good.:thumbsup:

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

interesting...Glad to see some GSR fic here :) PPS!

4. MissMurder

Hey glad you are enjoying it so far :D

This chapter hasn't been updated on my Fanfiction.net account yet because I'm unable to login, so everyone here is the first to read chapter 2 :)

Lapse

Chapter 2

A few days had passed since Grissom had been brought into hospital. Since then the team had found out that Grissom seemed to feel more comfortable around Sara than any of them but they accepted that, thought it strange, but accepted it nonetheless.

Dr, Wood had kept a close eye on their fallen leader throughout that time and had concluded that there was no pressing need for him to remain in the hospital. The gash on the back of his head had begun to heal; the only thing needing to be watched was the occasional light-headedness that came with head injuries.

Catherine seemed to be enjoying the fact that Grissom had picked Sara to be his temporary carer. She and Jim knew that Sara was uneasy, after all Grissom was the one that had lost his memory, not Sara. But they had noticed Sara was getting used to the attention Grissom was giving her. He appeared to have a slightly different personality, toward Sara anyway. He didn’t show any signs of wanting to pull away from her like he had before the accident. If they didn’t know any better, they would have said he was infatuated with her.

The time came for Grissom to be discharged. Sara had forced him into sitting in a wheelchair for precaution. He tried to refuse, but eventually gave up when he realized she wasn’t taking no for an answer. The car ride back to Grissom’s townhouse was filled with a deafening silence. Sara had no idea what to talk about, while her companion knew what he wanted to say but was afraid to speak the words.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Once they arrived they left the vehicle and entered the building. Sara had only been here twice before; once when she first came to Vegas and the other during the Strip Strangler case. They had been friends then; good friends. That was until Grissom found out he was to be the supervisor permanently. After that their relationship seemed to fail fast. It was highly upsetting, Sara remembered back to when they were in San Francisco, they were inseparable.

She watched as he familiarised himself with his surroundings, like he had never stepped foot in the building before. It was odd to watch Gil Grissom unaware of his own home. She knew and understood she would have to be patient with him, and that he will probably want to ask her question about the extent of their relationship. It would be awkward yes, but Sara Sidle was always ready to tackle anything put her way.
    He stood in his living room like a little lost puppy. He walked to every room and peered through the doorway, relearning which doorway led where. He glanced at Sara silently asking her for help:

"Unfortunately I’m just as lost as you are." She said, a hint of sadness touching her voice.

Grissom picked up on this and made a mental note to question her about it later. He had also sensed her uneasiness and thought it best to let her deal with his current condition as well. After all, if she did mean anything to his "previous self" as he thought it, she would most likely be trying to cope with the "loss"

He certainly knew that every time he caught her eye, his heart would flutter. Maybe this was a sign that she was special to him? He never received this feeling with any of the other team members that visited him in the hospital. He walked into the bedroom, having a good look around. It was then he noticed a photograph on his bedside table. A photograph of him and a woman he couldn’t quite make out while standing where he was. So he moved closer.

It was Sara. She had her arms wrapped around his neck and was smiling. Grissom noticed that his hands in the picture were settled on her hips. The photo looked a few years old, as the San Francisco Bridge was in the background, and they weren’t in California at the moment.
    He studied the photograph; her hair was longer then than it was now. Another difference was that she looked happy, she didn’t seem happy now.

He was saddened by this and the first thing that came to mind was that he had done something to make her unhappy. He had so many questions to ask her, just about their relationship. He knew he should be more focussed on the questions that would help him remember his life, but he was more concerned with the beautiful woman standing in the room behind his bedroom door.

He watched her walk towards the sofa and sit down. He stood there in his trail of thought until he realized that Sara would probably be nervous to his condition, he wasn’t supposed to exert himself much, and running all over his house could come under the "exerting yourself" file.
    He left the bedroom and went into the living room. He sat beside her, alert to her reactions. When he was convinced that she as comfortable in his presence he spoke:

"So...uh...I work in Law Enforcement?"

Sara turned to him and smiled: "Yes, in crime scene investigation. You are very good at your work. You are possibly the best in the field."

He processed the information: "So, everyone that visited me, are friends and co-workers?"

"Yes."

"What about you? I have noticed at times you seem to look uncomfortable around me."

"I...I can’t talk about this right now." Sara stuttered.

"Please, can I know something about you? Something about us?"

"We...we were friends."

Grissom listened to her voice stumble through her words. All he heard at first was the "friends" section of her sentence. A few seconds later he realized she spoke in the past tense, she had said "were friends" not "are"

"Were friends?" He questioned, but he again noticed her apprehension. He quickly added: "Tell me in your own time."

Sara shared a thankful smile with him. She knew this was coming, but she didn’t expect it to be so soon. She honestly thought he would be more interested in his life, not her.

But something in his persona had changed since he woke up in the hospital after his accident. He seemed less inhibited than before, more willing to open up and share. Not typically the Grissom personality.
    She knew she would have to tell him about their lack of relationship. Also on the real reason why she found it strange he picked her to look after him out of everyone. But she just wasn’t quite ready.

Sara needed more time to adapt.

TBC ;)

5. MacsGirlMel

What does she need time to adapt to? *is confused*

6. MissMurder

In the story so far, Grissom has been attacked and injured and has suffered memory loss (amnesia). She needs time to adapt to his sudden memory loss of his life, and their entire relationship.

Do you understand now?

7. MacsGirlMel

Yeah, I think so. I'm curious though, which season does this take place in?

8. MissMurder

After Season 4, but before Season 5.

I hope you understand my story ;). I didn't mean to confuse anyone with the plotline :( I thought it made sense.

Let me know if you need me to explain my trail of thought again :bolian:

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

[​IMG] fantastic, you've got a realy flair for writing, loved it all, great story, and the couple that are in harms way together, stay together, and they are forever.. and the title is awesome, good job buddy[​IMG]

10. MacsGirlMel

Nah I'm just dumb that way sometimes, I don't know why. It's okay :)

11. SA_Kate_937

SA_Kate_937 Police Officer

Me want more! ;-)

Very good!

12. HipHuggers#1Fan

HipHuggers#1Fan Rookie

Really good update!:thumbsup:

13. x3nity

x3nity Lab Technician

Nice shot MM, please carry on. I wanna know how does 'this' turn out.
    Oftentimes the reader would want to go in the mind of the writer but i let you go your stuff and i'll just wait for your updates, ok? I have read some of this kind of plot in 'somewhere' and come in different surprises. That's why I just keep hanging on to some GSR fic until the fantasy runs out.
    We got our happy ending, don't we? :)

Regards,