CSI: New York--'Sex, Lies and Silicone'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Oct 23, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<p><b>Synopsis:</b><p>Flack, Mac and Danny are called in after a woman dies in the middle of a renegade street party. Her business suit indicates she wasn't a partygoer, and her wallet--sans credit cards--is found a ways from her body, identifying her as a consultant named Ann Steele. Mac observes that she apparently died due to blunt force trauma to the head. Danny collects plastic shards from around her body, and Mac discovers her last call was made to Chief Brigham Sinclair. After the body is transported to the morgue, Sid surprises an intruder and scares him off. Mac complains to Sinclair about the lax private security and questions Sinclair about his association with Ann Steele, who he's learned had a reputation for making powerful people's problems go away. Sinclair says he met her at a few fundraisers and claims she was calling him about a parking ticket. Mac is skeptical, but Sinclair reminds him he's his boss. Flack gets a hit on Ann's credit cards, leading him to a barber named Lars, but the man says he found Ann's wallet after the party broke up and prior to that had been at the festivities. Stella identifies tissue in Ann's bracelet as synthetic polymer while Lindsay discovers hair in her nylons belonged to a blonde woman. Danny and Hawkes scan surveillance tapes from a camera in a nearby intersection and notice a woman looking out over the street around the time of the murders. Danny and Flack go to the condo she was seen in and question the owner, Trevor Jones, an employee of the district attorney's office who claims the woman with him that night was a one-night stand.<p>Greg Pullman, Hawkes' college buddy, approaches the CSI and brings up Ann's murder, mentioning that she had dirt on his father. He and Hawkes make plans to meet later for a drink. Danny and Flack go to Ann's apartment only to discover an intruder there. The duo manages to take him down and learn he's a private investigator named Anthony Martino. When they interrogate him, Danny accuses him of breaking into the morgue as well, but Martino is nonchalant--the people he works for are powerful enough to ensure he won't do time for the breaking and entering. Mac updates Sinclair and asks if Ann might have helped him with the sexual harassment case he was embroiled in last year. Lindsay traces the hair on Ann's stocking to a Boston woman who died a year ago, but Adam is the one who connects the dots and uncovers that the funeral home the woman was taken to was selling body parts--including hair. He finds a connection to the silicone polymer: a highend doll shop that specializes in life-size--and life-like--female dolls. The CSIs pay a visit to the doll shop, with a warrant in hand for the customer list. Flack and Lindsay question Hank Gorem, who owns three dolls. He traded away his blonde doll for a red headed one on a doll site, but can't recall the name of the man he traded with. Flack and Lindsay take the doll and Lindsay finds prints on it that match Trevor Jones. Danny and Flack arrest Trevor and take his doll back to the lab with them. Trevor claims he brought Ann home from a bar but she got spooked when she saw his doll and left.<p>Hawkes meets Greg for a drink and is horrified when Greg asks him to remove the files on his father from Ann's flash drive when it's found. Greg invokes his father, telling Hawkes that the man paid for his last year of medical school via a scholarship. Hawkes leaves in disgust, but when he returns home to his apartment building, several men accost him, beat him up and steal his wallet. The next day at work, Danny tells Hawkes that Trevor has walked because they couldn't find the flash drive at his apartment. Hawkes gets the idea to look in Trevor's doll and finds the drive hidden in her eye socket--complete with Trevor's print and blood from the victim on it. Mac confronts Trevor, who tries to weasel his way out of the charges, but the bloody print is the proof the CSIs needed. Hawkes meets Greg and gives him a check for his father in the amount of the tuition of his last year of medical school. He tells Greg he'll be arrested soon for sending the thugs after him to try to steal the drive. Mac refuses to turn the flash drive over to Sinclair, who tells Mac that the sexual harassment charge was false...but that he knows he looks guilty for paying Ann to make it go away. He confides in Mac that his marriage is on the rocks. The flash drive heads to the evidence warehouse, where it's taken by a man waiting there to steal it.<p><b>Analysis:</b><p><i>Forrest Gump</i> co-stars <font color=yellow>Gary Sinise</font> and <font color=yellow>Mykelti Williamson</font> are united once again when Sinclair returns to oversee a particularly sensitive case Mac is working on. It's obvious from the get-go that Sinclair has a personal stake in the case. It all ties back into an e-mail first introduced in last season's <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/newyork/season4/you_only_die_once.shtml">"You Only Die Once"</a>, which suggests Sinclair was guilty of sexual harassment. The victim in this episode helped Sinclair make the scandal go away, literally, by paying off his accuser. Sinclair understandably doesn't want it to get out.<p>Mac, in the overly righteous way Mac gets, naturally assumes the worst of Sinclair. It's only at the end of the episode, when he actually sits down with Sinclair and hears the chief's story that he realizes Sinclair's motive wasn't simply to make a scandal go away but to preserve his failing marriage. Sinclair admits that marriage crumbled once he, afraid the news would get out some other way, confessed to his wife that he'd hired someone to bury the scandal. Sinclair insists he was innocent of any misconduct. Mac finally drops the judgmental attitude and offers some solace to the grieving man. Both Sinise and Williamson are very good in this scene, exuding sincerity in what comes across as a very honest moment between two men who don't often see eye to eye.<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/reviews/csi/sex_lies_and_silicone.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Excellent review, as always. :D

Hill did a great job in this one, and it was a good episode for Hawkes. I like that we're FINALLY getting to see a bit more of him after so many missed opportunities in earlier seasons. I really didn't buy the actor playing Greg (he was obviously much younger, and if he and Hawkes went to college together, Hawkes the child prodigy would have been younger than him) - the acting wasn't a problem, I just think the casting choice was iffy given that we're supposed to believe they're the same age (or thereabouts). Granted, Hill does not look his age, but the difference here was kind of obvious. Still, the actors did well in their scenes together. :)

Danny and Flack definitely need their own show! It would be awesome. Hey, CBS, how about a web series? :p They're always fantastic together, and this episode was no exception.

I love Adam, so him being a total awkward dork was so very endearing. :lol:

I always like seeing Gary and Mykelti in scenes together, so it was nice that Sinclair came back. I look forward to seeing where this whole storyline goes.

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Great review, Kristine! :D

Yep, Adam is adorkably cute. :lol:

A Danny and Flack web series? Pay per view? :lol: Sorry, that's a different kind of series I'm thinking about. :devil: But seriously, they are so awesome together, every scene they have is fantastic and makes me smile. I am easily pleased when it comes to those two, but this episode was particularly pleasing. :D

I actually think it was a good episode for everyone. It was great to see some focus on Hawkes, Mac and Sinclair sparring is always fun, and I found Lindsay's scenes enjoyable.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Thanks guys! :D

Heh, I'd love a Danny and Flack web series, pay-per-view :devil: ;) or otherwise! Those two really are great together. The writing and acting comes together perfectly.

Lindsay was much better than she usually is--I really think the lighthearted incarnation of the character is so much more enjoyable.

Adam the dork as ever is completely and totally lovable!

5. audrina

audrina Police Officer

Great review. I also enjoyed Mac stepping off his high horse to show empathy for Sinclair. Everyone seemed to play off each other well. I love Adam - AJ Buckley simply disappears into the role of lovable dork. Stella's slightly puzzled reaction worked well, too. As for Lindsay, I also enjoy her lighter stuff. And any episode featuring Hill Harper in a larger role? Always good.

My theory on the budget storyline: I think they will use it to push Lindsay off the canvas when Anna Belknap is getting ready to give birth. Lindsay is the lowest in seniority, and may be willing to step away for her baby. They could lay Lindsay off, solve the issue, and allow her to come back when Anna is ready. Better than sending her off to Montana to brood.

6. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Wouldn't we all :devil: :lol:

I totally agree she was much more better, I hope this continues.

Adam the most cutest adorable dork ever :lol: :)

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^I definitely prefer the light-hearted side of Lindsay better, and hope we see more of her this season!

Agreed completely. The episode was a perfect mix, and really utilized the whole team and each character's strengths.

Agreed, it would make for a perfect exit for Lindsay. However, given that the decision to write in Anna's pregnancy seems to have been made later in the season, I wonder if the timing allowed for it? I guess we'll see. I am curious to see how the budget cuts affect the team, even if the introduction of the need for them was a little clunky.

8. church2001

church2001 Witness

Wait, Anna is pregnant again? The fact that they're writing it in this time could be interesting if handled well (believe me there have been a lot of shows that have done this wrong).

The economy and budget deficits must be on everyone's minds since Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice are also using budget issues as an ongoing storyline (strange that Las Vegas and Miami haven't been affected). Also Indiana Jones seems to be on the writers' minds too what with the Raiders-style warehouse ending to this episode and the plotline for next week.

I must say how glad I am that Adam is being made into the new loveable nerd. The last one *cough* Greg Sanders *cough* got himself promoted to CSI and lost a bit of that innocence.

9. starshadow

starshadow Dead on Arrival

I just finished watching this episode, and I must say it was very well-done. Being the X-Phile that I am, the ending where the flash drive is packed off to the evidence warehouse sent nostalgic echoes of those FBI hidden warehouses to mind! It also reminded me of the way the Ark of the Covenant was stashed in a warehouse in the first Indiana Jones movie.

This was an episode that mixed humor and procedural stuff nicely. I hope Flack gets back at Lindsay before Anna Belknap has to go on maternity leave!

Adam...is all kinds of sweet. I couldn't stop laughing when he started focusing on the doll; the part where he asked if he could touch it was priceless!

As for Sheldon Hawkes - more stories for the man, say I. The writers are doing right by the character, in my eyes, and so far, so good.