David Berman

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Oct 8, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<p><font color=yellow>David Berman</font> was very excited when he got the news that he'd be a series regular on <i>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</i> in its ninth season. Berman has played coroner's assistant David Phillips since the fifth episode of <i>CSI</i>'s freshman season, as well as holding the position of head researcher on the show. Berman took some time out of his schedule to discuss his start on the show, what doing research for <i>CSI</i> entails, and what he'd like to see for his character in the future with CSI Files' <font color=yellow>Kristine Huntley</font><p><b>CSI Files:</b> How's the ninth season going?<p><b>David Berman:</b> Everything's going great! <font color=yellow>Billy [Petersen</font>, Gil Grissom] is finishing up his full time duties on <i>CSI</i>, so it's been fun and sad.<p><b>CSI Files:</b>Which episode are you working on right now?<p><b>Berman:</b> We're filming episode ten right now.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> Congratulations on the bump up to being a series regular on the show! How did you learn the news?<p><b>Berman:</b> <font color=yellow>Jon Wellner</font> and I were opening up the CSI Experience in Columbus, Ohio. They asked us to come out there specifically because it's about <i>CSI</i>, researching the show, and acting as well. It was about five minutes before we were supposed to go on and give our talk that [Executive Producer] <font color=yellow>Carol Mendelsohn</font> called me and told me the good news. It was surprising and wonderful and certainly caught me off guard.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> So you had no idea this was coming?<p><b>Berman:</b> I heard rumors that it was in the works, but you never believe it until you actually get that phone call. The vagaries of show business are such that until I heard it from Carol or <font color=yellow>Naren [Shankar</font>, executive producer], I didn't give it much credit. <p><b>CSI Files:</b> Does this mean we'll get to learn more about David's personal life?<p><b>Berman:</b> I'm sure eventually we'll see more of David Phillip's personal life, but the focus of season nine is really the transition from Grissom to the new character played by <font color=yellow>Laurence Fishburne</font>, certainly at least in the first half. We're also introducing another character: Riley Adams is a new CSI played by <font color=yellow>Lauren Lee Smith</font>, who's fantastic. While David Phillips is certainly in episode, in terms of meeting my wife or other personal stories, that's kind of on hold for now. Hopefully the show will be on for many years and we'll get a chance to revisit that stuff. It would be very fun to at some point to meet the missus. I have some thoughts as to who might play that role--maybe <font color=yellow>Natalie Portman</font> or <font color=yellow>Angelina Jolie</font>. Someone like that.<p><b>CSI Files:</b> I was going guess that Angelina would be a good choice.<p><b>Berman:</b> I'd have to read with her first!<p><b>CSI Files:</b> How is the transition going? Is the show building to Grissom's departure and the arrival of Fishburne's character?<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full interviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/interviews/david_berman.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

2. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Great interview! :) David Berman always comes across as a genuinely lovely guy. I find him fascinating, getting to act and research for the same show is just fantastic, he's so lucky. I love research, so I think it must be really interesting, and him joining a clown organisation to help him get more information for his research just shows how seriously he takes the job, and how bizarre some of the things they have to research really are. :lol:

I didn't know that George Eads had coined the name "Super Dave", it's one that always makes me smile when they say it on the show. :lol: I'm happy that they've made him a series regular, he deserves it, and whilst he doesn't have a huge part in each episode he really is important to it (in terms of research) and plays the scenes he is in perfectly. You Kill Me was a great episode for him. As you can tell, I think he's great! :lol: :D

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

George has come up with some interesting ideas on the set of CSI.

And so it makes me nervous when David said. "Hopefully that will continue." This is the second tidbit of info on so-called 'George leaving' rumour.

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I love Super Dave. He's my favorite lab rat and always will be.

I read somewhere before that George Eads gave him that name. It's nice to see that those two have such a great rapport, as you can see that on screen, as well.

I'm also happy that David will become a series regular, he so deserves it.

I agree, I love him the comedic role. He's great. He has such a dead pan delivery, it's great. :lol:

Myfuturecsi, I'm thinking that David meant, he hopes to get more scenes with George. At least that have better be what he meant. :shifty: I don't think George is leaving.

You know, if he needs another research assistant, I'm up for the job. :bolian: Then maybe I can get on the set and see George :drool:. Ok, that and I find the forensic field fascinating. I don't watch TruTV for nothing or read true crime book and such.

5. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Awww...David is just as cute and lovable as Super Dave! :adore: I love how he had to get a clown name to get his research answers! :lol:

6. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

Great interview Kristine! :bolian: Super Dave is just sooo adorable and from the looks of things he seems to be a genuine good guy. Good for him that he's finally a series regular.

That would be sooo cute. Kind of like a beauty and the geek moment. :p

That scene was too cute for words! :lol:

7. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

Thanks for the interview!

Awww I love SuperDave, but why is he called Super?

George leaving... No way on earth! He's in it till the end!!!

Congrats to David Berman

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

George Eads gave him that nickname. I don't think they ever said why George came up with 'super'.

But Super Dave? Such a cutie.

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Thanks, guys! :)

Agreed. His comedic timing and delivery are top notch!

Agreed--I don't think he meant to imply George was leaving. As far as I know, George has no plans to leave the show.