Fishburne In Talks To Join 'CSI'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Aug 7, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

The Las Vegas crime lab seeks a new leader.<p>As previously <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/150708_01.shtml">reported</a>, <font color=yellow>William Petersen</font> (Gil Grissom) will be ending his run as a series regular on <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I> after the tenth episode of the show's upcoming ninth season. Petersen will stay on as an executive producer, and he will make guest appearances on <I>CSI</I> from time to time. However, the show has been <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/news/180708_01.shtml">looking</a> for a replacement for Grissom.<p>Actor <font color=yellow>Laurence Fishburne</font> is reportedly in talks with CBS to join <I>CSI</I>. The character is a scientist with a genetic anomaly that makes him predisposed to violence, although he has never acted on those impulses. He will come in contact with the CSI team during a two-part episode and later will return as a series regular.<p>Fishburne is one of several big name actors whose names have been mentioned in connection with the role. Others include <font color=yellow>John Malkovich</font> and <font color=yellow>Kurt Russell</font>. However, while details about the casting have been kept secret, sources indicate that it is Fishburne who is in serious discussions to join the <I>CSI</I> team.<p>The original news is from <A class="link" HREF="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080806/people_nm/csi_dc_2">Yahoo! News</a>.<center></center>

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Fishburne wouldn't be my first pick. He was great in The Matrix, but I just don't see him as the lead male on a CSI show. :rolleyes:

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

(When I see that you've posted first, Shane, I always think I've made a typo. :p

ILU, BB! ;))

4. kayfeb

kayfeb Rookie

whoah. you mean "Othello" Laurence Fishburne? the "Morpheus" Laurence Fishburne?

well, why not? movie actors are now acting on TV theses days, let's see how it goes from there. just as long as he dosen't quote Shakespearean lines in
    between talks eh?

John Malkovich? gotta be kidding there. They would rather consider Gary Oldman

5. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I agree...but who knows this swap could surprise me lol

6. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

My only problem with them bringing in Fishburne or indeed any big name movie star, is that a big name movie star isn't going to come in to play second fiddle. My fear is that whatever character he plays is going to end up being the focus of the show to the detriment of the current cast.

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Pfft. No, no typos in this report. :p But we'll see what the future has in store. :lol: ;)

ILU TOO. :p

8. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I could see Denzel Washington. Or several other actors in the part. Not sure about Fishburne.

9. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I can't help but to think that in going for a movie star (even if he has been on tv before) that TPTB are just saying that the show isn't going to be any good unless they get someone bigger than the show.

I also think that he'll overshadow the rest of the cast and we'll most likely hear a lot of grumbling on all the boards about the lack of screentime (which I think we all already do! :rolleyes:).

I stopped watching ER when the original cast started leaving. Not because they were leaving but because I didn't like the replacements. I don't think someone should be brought in to replace Grissom. Replace Billy Petersen by all means, but Grissom's replacement should be Catherine (who's voiced her opinion on wanting to be supervisor since season 1) or Nick (who they were supposed to be grooming as Grissom's replacement last season).

Susan

10. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Hear hear!
    I think the supporting cast is strong enough to keep going without a big name being brought in to overshadow them. Heck, I think they could have gotten on fine without bringing in Liev Schrieber in when WP took his 4 ep break in S7.
    But clearly TPTB feel that without WP/Grissom the show needs an extra boost. It's dissapointing, and I can only imagine the other actors will be feeling just a little agrieved by it as well.

11. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Honestly, I'm going to stop watching the show altogether if they bring in Fishburne. I have nothing against the actor, I just don't think the show needs a 'big name'. (Is he even a big name anyway?) It just seems like an insult, frankly.

12. ejacksonian

ejacksonian Hit and Run

No, I wouldn't consider Laurence Fishburne a big name. If you asked most casual Maxtrix fans, if knew who played Morpheus, they probably wouldn't who he was. Heck, I even bet most people couldn't name Keanu Reeves either (though they probably would recgonize an image of him).

I would say, he's a C-List movie actor, at best. Not that he's untalented... he's a great actor. It's just that he's not really THAT famous.

That said, I would say C-List movie actor would have higher name recognition than even most A-list TV stars (that have never or rarely done movies).

13. Showtime

Showtime Police Officer

It really bugs me sometimes that the title or summaries of news articles contains such huge spoilers. I had no idea Grissom was leaving the show, so thanks for that.

14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Apparently it's now confirmed. See the "Grissom's Leaving/Who's Replacing" thread for more details.

15. ThumpyG42

ThumpyG42 ~Nocturnal Jenn~ Premium Member

I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't necessarily see this as a bad thing. As sad as I am to see Grissom (and Billy) leave, I think Fishburne could be an interesting addition to the cast. Depending on how it's handled naturally.

Though, the existing cast is certainly capable of carrying the show on their own as well.