Petersen To Leave 'CSI'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Jul 15, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

Gil Grissom is saying goodbye.<p>According to <A class="link" HREF="http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/">Ausiello</a>, the tenth episode of <I>CSI: Crime Scene Investigation</I>'s ninth season will be the last appearance of <font color=yellow>William Petersen</font> (Gil Grissom) as a full-time series regular on the series. However, that doesn't mean the audience has seen the last of Grissom. "Billy is leaving," said executive producer <font color=yellow>Carol Mendelsohn</font>. "But he will remain throughout the run of the series an executive producer. And he will, whenever CBS asks, come back. I don't think you've seen the last of Gil Grissom."<p>"I'm in a great place in terms of knowing that I'll be more free to make choices. And I'm responsible enough to not do it in a way that would hurt [the show]," Petersen explained. "I want it to work for the writers, I want it to work for the cast, and, <I>most</I> importantly, I want it to work for the audience. I don't want them to abandon the show." The actor also pointed out that his decision to leave isn't a sign of deeper problems. "For me, it's a really good situation," he clarified. "I don't want the audience to think it's <I>not</I>... [It isn't] like there's something going on, like 'Petersen's unhappy,' 'cause it's not true. It's quite the contrary."<p><I>CSI</I> lost <font color=yellow>Jorja Fox</font> (Sara Sidle) last year, and <font color=yellow>Gary Dourdan</font>'s (Warrick Brown) departure was announced later on. With Petersen leaving, that means three original cast members will be gone from the show. "This will be a year of transition for the show," Mendehlson said. "We always knew it was coming, and I'm glad it didn't come until now." She went on to say, "There's never going to be another William Petersen, and there will never be another Jorja Fox. But we are not out to just replace those actors. We're out to add new characters to the show, and the show will change as a result. But that's a good thing."<p>Petersen's exit isn't the only thing coming up in season nine. Fox will be back as Sara for "multiple" episodes, according to Mendelsohn, and the Miniature Killer will be back to "cross paths" with Grissom. Director <font color=yellow>William Friedkin</font>, a good friend of Petersen's, will also return to helm another episode of the series (after previously directing <A class="link" HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/csi/season8/cockroaches.shtml">"Cockroaches"</a>)--this time the show's 200th episode. "Billy will definitely be on the set for Mr. Friedkin's episode -- whether it's behind the camera or in front of the camera is TBD," Mendelsohn said. "I don't think you'll be able to keep him away once he's back in L.A."<p>As previously announced, <font color=yellow>Lauren Lee Smith</font> will join the show as Riley Adams, a new CSI. "She has a very distinct personality... a very wry sense of humor. She doesn't take herself too seriously," Mendelsohn explained, and executive producer <font color=yellow>Naren Shankar</font> added, "This is a person who, unlike the rest of our gang, has not had Grissom as a mentor. So there's a very different relationship between Riley and Grissom."<p>Another new character to be added to the series won't be a criminalist to begin with. "He's a professor with background in pathology. He will appear when Grissom is investigating what will be a two-part case," Mendelsohn said. "He will help Grissom and the team bring the perpetrator to justice, and then this character will stay around and ultimately become a CSI." The character will have a rare genetic abnormality, and the show is seeking to cast a high-profile actor to fill the role.<p>One question that remains is how Grissom will leave the show. "I wouldn't want to say exactly what we're going do -- I want people to watch, certainly," Petersen said. "But Sara is involved... It's often darkest just before the dawn." The actor went on to say, "My biggest problem with leaving the show at <I>any</I> point isn't leaving Grissom -- I'm an actor, it's time to do other things. [The hard part will be saying goodbye] to the cast and crew. [So] I'm going to stay as involved as I'm allowed to be throughout the remainder of this show. Until they turn off all the lights."<p>The original news is from the <A class="link" HREF="http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/07/william-peterse.html">Ausiello Files</a>, and you can find more about what's coming up for season nine <A class="link" HREF="http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/07/exclusive-csi-b.html">here</a>. Thanks to <font color=yellow>Lessien_Tinuviel</font> from TalkCSI for the heads up.<center></center>

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Mostly for myself so I could read it easier, I copied and re-wrote this without the html tags in it. :)

Gil Grissom is saying goodbye. According to ausiellofiles, the tenth episode of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation's ninth season will be the last appearance of William Petersen (Gil Grissom) as a full-time series regular on the series. However, that doesn't mean the audience has seen the last of Grissom.

"Billy is leaving," said executive producer Carol Mendelsohn. "But he will remain throughout the run of the series an executive producer. And he will, whenever CBS asks, come back. I don't think you've seen the last of Gil Grissom."

"I'm in a great place in terms of knowing that I'll be more free to make choices. And I'm responsible enough to not do it in a way that would hurt [the show]," Petersen explained. "I want it to work for the writers, I want it to work for the cast, and, most importantly, I want it to work for the audience. I don't want them to abandon the show."

The actor also pointed out that his decision to leave isn't a sign of deeper problems. "For me, it's a really good situation," he clarified. "I don't want the audience to think it's not... [It isn't] like there's something going on, like 'Petersen's unhappy,' 'cause it's not true. It's quite the contrary."

CSI lost Jorja Fox (Sara Sidle) last year, and Gary Dourdan's (Warrick Brown) departure was announced later on. With Petersen leaving, that means three original cast members will be gone from the show. "This will be a year of transition for the show," Mendehlson said. "We always knew it was coming, and I'm glad it didn't come until now." She went on to say, "There's never going to be another William Petersen, and there will never be another Jorja Fox. But we are not out to just replace those actors. We're out to add new characters to the show, and the show will change as a result. But that's a good thing."

Petersen's exit isn't the only thing coming up in season nine. Fox will be back as Sara for "multiple" episodes, according to Mendelsohn, and the Miniature Killer will be back to "cross paths" with Grissom. Director William Friedkin, a good friend of Petersen's, will also return to helm another episode of the series,this time the show's 200th episode.

"Billy will definitely be on the set for Mr. Friedkin's episode -- whether it's behind the camera or in front of the camera is TBD," Mendelsohn said. "I don't think you'll be able to keep him away once he's back in L.A." As previously announced, Lauren Lee Smith will join the show as Riley Adams, a new CSI. "She has a very distinct personality... a very wry sense of humor. She doesn't take herself too seriously," Mendelsohn explained, and executive producer Naren Shankar added, "This is a person who, unlike the rest of our gang, has not had Grissom as a mentor. So there's a very different relationship between Riley and Grissom."

Another new character to be added to the series won't be a criminalist to begin with. "He's a professor with background in pathology. He will appear when Grissom is investigating what will be a two-part case," Mendelsohn said. "He will help Grissom and the team bring the perpetrator to justice, and then this character will stay around and ultimately become a CSI." The character will have a rare genetic abnormality, and the show is seeking to cast a high-profile actor to fill the role.

One question that remains is how Grissom will leave the show. "I wouldn't want to say exactly what we're going do -- I want people to watch, certainly," Petersen said. "But Sara is involved... It's often darkest just before the dawn." The actor went on to say, "My biggest problem with leaving the show at any point isn't leaving Grissom -- I'm an actor, it's time to do other things. [The hard part will be saying goodbye] to the cast and crew. [So] I'm going to stay as involved as I'm allowed to be throughout the remainder of this show. Until they turn off all the lights."

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I have no idea why the board is doing that to the articles the past few days. :confused: The version on CSI Files looks the way it's supposed to...

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Fay, has it only been happening since Antony's board upgrade last week? Maybe it's related to that. :confused:

I'm not surprised that William Petersen is leaving, it has seemed recently to be only a matter of time. I'm sad in some ways, Petersen's a great actor and Grissom is a fantastic character, but I think it could also be an interesting new beginning for CSI. Good luck to him. :)

5. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

I can't say that I'm surprised either. With a show that runs as long as CSI has, this kind of thing is inevitable.
    I'm glad he's happy with his decision, and I wish him the best of luck in everything that he does.
    I'm also very interested to see what direction the show will go in next season with all these changes happening.

6. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Although I'm not surprised that William Petersen is leaving, I am interested to see what direction the show will go in next season with all these changes happening.

I wish him the best of luck in everything he does in the future! :)

7. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I was kind of expecting an article like this to come out sooner or later so I'm not about to lose sleep over this news. I'm sure it must be upsetting for some die hard fans of Grissom, but I don't invest too much time religiously in the characters [of the original CSI]. That being said, I enjoyed Billy on the show and he added something great to CSI. :)

I respect his decision, wish him luck and I'll definitely be there to see his final episodes! :)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  8. HellsBells

HellsBells Tormenting Camp Counselors

It's too bad to see him go, but like the other actors, I'm not too shocked to see happen. They mentioned earlier in the year that the ninth season might be the last one for Billy so, yeah not too surprised.

9. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Right as he gets this big old acknowledgment for his work on TV (the Hollywood Star on Walk of Fame), he decides to leave the show. Wow.

Can't say I'm totally shocked, but I am in some ways. It'll be interesting to see if CSI can recover from this. And I'm not looking forward to seeing any GSR-arc storylines like what was hinted in the article over at Ausiello.

10. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Well, I always knew this was coming but hoping later than sooner, so he's done 10 episodes this is sad news for all the hugh Grissom/Billy fans:(, how will this show survive without his OVERWHELMING POWERFUL EXTRODINARY presence? I can't imagine CSI without him. He's said this for years, so the time has come, I was just hoping that he'd do a even 10th season, making it a decade, but wish him the best in what this next chapter in his life will bring.. best of luck Billy.. you'll be sorely missed!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

desertwind, just a reminder that your banner is too big. Maximum size is 220x75 :)

Grissom was never my favorite character, but he's definitely going to be missed on the show. It'll be a big space to fill.

12. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm sorry to see Billy going but like a lot of others have said I'm not surprised. He's been hinting at it for a couple of years now so the timing may jsut have been right for him to go.

I do hope that this will give George and Marg the chance to shine a bit more without the ever present Grissom around.

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

i'll be sad to see him go but im glad that he's leaving around the same time as others. I think the departures will seem more natually along with the 'new' csi lv with 3 of the main characters leaving together so to speak...If that makes sense :D

14. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

It's sad to see him go, but what is meant to be is always for the best.

15. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

meh CSI will be fine....it doesn't have to be a #1 show all the time, but i think it will become more like law and order.

Not too surprised, i don't really care for Grissom anymore anyways, so i don't care that much. Grissom the crazy scientist has been gone for awhile, and now this means no more GSR!!! yay! I am sure his exit will be the ultimate nail in the coffen for ruining his character as well with some sucky romantic crap. Oh yeah, so looking forward to that.