"Never Alone" - CSI: Miami- Rave, Cake & Eden

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by GregNickRyanFan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Title: Never Alone
    Genre: CSI: Miami
    Pairings: Ryan/Valera (Rave), Calleigh/Jake (Cake) and Eric/Natalia (Eden)
    Timeline: Post "Going Ballistic" (Season 6 finale)
    Rating: PG-13 or TV-14 (whichever you prefer)
    Disclaimers: I do not own the CSI Miami characters. I’m only borrowing them for entertainment purposes.

Chapter One

The Miami Dade CSIs were short-handed with Horatio in the hospital. The shooting setup went awry when the bullet didn't go exactly where it was supposed to. Horatio had a vest on, but he turned at the wrong second. However, the rest of the plan went as it was supposed to. Ron Saris was arrested for attempted murder and they were finally able to convict him. ​

Delko was on desk duty since he had broken his leg while chasing a suspect. He couldn't go out in the filed. Valera was helping Ryan instead since Nat was working another case with Frank.​

The case Ryan and Valera were investigating was a particularly disturbing one. An apparent serial killer was on the loose, stalking couples. After the bodies were discovered, videos of each couple would show up on the Internet... sex videos. Valera noticed something similiar in the corner on each video... the barrel of a gun. She and Ryan realized that the couples must have been forced to make those videos.​

They were investigating the case when Ryan heard Valera scream. He instinctively grabbed his gun. "Valera!" He said, looking across to the other end of the car that they had been examining. He saw a guy holding a gun against Valera's head. The fear he saw on her face cut right through him. he wanted to do everything he could to protect Valera. "Let her go!" Ryan said. The guy just grinned at him. "We are Miami Dade Police. If you hurt her, you'll have every cop in Miami coming after you. Now let her go!"​

"Not gonna happen!" The guy said. "Drop your weapon or she dies."​

Ryan heard the gun cock and saw Valera wince. When he saw the tears starting to form in Valera's eyes, he had no choice. He raised his arms. "Okay, I'll do it. Just don't hurt her."​

"Sounds like you have feelings for this girl. I knew you two were a couple. I could sense it a mile away."​

Ryan didn't feel like arguing with the creep. He put his gun on the hood of the car in front of him. He knew that if he bent down, he might not get up. He saw something in Valera's eyes... a warning. There was another perp behind him.​

"Get his weapon, George." The taller man said.​

"Did you check her for weapons?" George asked.​

Ryan had to jump in because he didn't want the perps touching Valera. "She doesn't have one." Ryan told them. "This is her first time in the field. She has to pass her firearms test before she can carry a weapon. Her test isn't until next week." He knew none of that was accurate, but he also knew these two idiots wouldn't know the difference. ​

He felt the barrel of a gun against his back as the second guy grabbed him. He had a sinking feeling that these were the guys they'd been looking for. He felt the fear rise in his gut. He would NOT let them hurt Valera in any way, including putting a video of her on the internet like they had done with the other victims.​

~ ~ ~ ​

"Hey, Eric." Calleigh answered her phone.​

"Calleigh, have you heard from Ryan and Valera?"​

"No, why?"​

"They should have been back by now."​

"I'll go to the scene and see if I can find them."​

"Don't go alone, Calleigh."​

"Don't be silly, Eric. I'm not alone. Jake's with me."​

"Jake?"​

"Yeah."​

"You two are back together?"​

"Eric..."​

"Nevermind. You might want to grab Frank now that he's done with the case he was working with Natalia. These creeps prey on couples. If you and Jake go alone..."​

"Got it, Eric. I'll let you know if I find out anything."​

~ ~ ~ ​

Ryan and Valera were taken into a house and into a back room. "Now..." One of the men said. "Let's get down to business."​

Creeps! Ryan thought, after the men told them what they wanted. "No, I can't do that to her." Ryan said.​

"You can't? Why not? Are you impotent or something?" The second guy, George asked.​

"No, of course not!" Ryan replied.​

"Then why can't you?"​

"Because I respect her too much to let her privacy be violated."​

"Listen," the first guy said, "it's either you or me." He glanced at Valera, licking his lips. Valera shuddered. "And I won't be gentle."​

Valera flinched and instinctively grabbed Ryan's hand. "Ryan, it's okay." She hugged him. She leaned her mouth against his ear. "I have a plan." She whispered, but he could feel her shaking a little. He knew she was afraid that they'd end up like the other couples. She took a deep breath and then let it out. She kissed him, grabbing his hand and putting it at the side of her bra (on the outside of her shirt).​

Ryan knew that he should probably be paying attention to the perps, but he was taken by surprise when Valera kissed him. He had imagined many times what it would feel like to kiss her. He couldn't help it, but at the moment, all he could think about was her lips on his.​

Her voice brought him out of his daze. "Ryan." She whispered, taking his hand and sliding it underneath her shirt.​

"Now that's what I'm talking about." George said.​

Ryan felt something taped to the side of Valera's bra... a gun. He felt himself smirk slightly. She did have a plan after all. "Is it loaded?" He whispered.​

"No, that's what the earrings are for." She whispered back. He looked confused until he realized that her earrings were bullets. he smiled again. "They'll work." She whispered before kissing him again.​

"Move to the bed." The taller man ordered them. They obeyed.​

As Ryan and Valera continued their show, kissing each other, Ryan carefully removed the bullets from Valera's earrings. He made sure the perps didn't notice. Ryan then passed the bullets into Valera's hand before reaching back under her shirt to get the gun.​

"Do you want to pull the trigger or shall I?" Valera whispered to Ryan. "Calleigh gave me the earrings in case you were wondering. She said they were good luck. She knew about the gun I carry with me. It's almost as if she knew I'd need it."​

Valera laoded the gun from behind Ryan (where the guys couldn't see). Ryan could tell that Valera was nervous, so he did the only thing he could. He decided to talk to her to help her stay calm. However, he meant every word that he said. "Valera, I really... I like you."​

"I know, Ryan." She smiled warmly. "I like you too."​

"This isn't how I imagined our first kiss." He told her.​

"It is odd. If were were alone right now, I would show you the time of your life." ​

He grinned slightly as she slyly passed the gun to him. "I have no doubt about that, Maxine." He said. They heard a click from the gun.​

"What was that?" George asked.​

"My leg popped." Valera said quickly.​

"Oh. Well, come on... get on with it."​

"Ready?" Ryan asked Valera. She nodded. "On three."​

She kissed him. "For luck."​

He counted to three before laying her against the mattress, shielding her body with his own (just in case). He quickly shot both perps, hitting the closer one (whose name he did not know) in the head. He hit the second one in the chest. Realizing that the bad guys were dead, Ryan let out a breath that he didn't realize he'd been holding. He looked at Valera and saw the tears in her eyes. He pulled her into his arms, running his palm over the back of her hair. "It's okay, Max." He said softly. "It's all over now." He placed a kiss against her temple as he continued to hold her.​

"Ryan..." She whispered.​

"I'm sorry, Max."​

"For what?"​

"I should have done something sooner."​

"What are you talking about, Ryan?"​

"I saw the fear in your eyes, Max. When that guy had the gun pointed at you. I felt you flinch when he said he'd hurt you if I didn't do what he wanted I hated that those creeps made you feel that way, but I hated more that I couldn't do a damn thing about it."​

"Ryan, none of this was your fault." She said, putting her hand against his cheek. "You did what you could. Please don't blame yourself for any of this."​

"What if you hadn't had that gun, Max? What would we have done then? I couldn't let them humiliate you or hurt you. I wouldn't have let that happen. You have to know, Max... I..." He paused, looking into her eyes. "If it had come to the worst... like what they did to the others..." He paused again. "Max, you have to know that I would have protected you till my last breath. I would have died protecting you from those monsters."​

Valera had never seen Ryan like this. She was glad that he was being so honest with her. He was actually hurting because she was. She couldn't help but kiss him softly on the lips. ​

"What was that for?" He asked.​

"Thank you."​

"For what?"​

"For being so honest. Most guys would probably hide behind bravado." She said. "But being honest shows true bravery."​

"I'm just glad that you're okay, Max. I never would have let them hurt you."​

"I know, Ryan." She said as they heard voices in the other room. "Oh, God! Are there more of them?"​

"Shh..." He whispered.​

"We don't have anymore bullets, Ryan."​

"My gun is around here somewhere." He said, looking all over the room. "Crap! It's not here!"​

"Ryan..." She said, getting scared again.​

"It's okay." He said, pulling her into his arms. "No one will hurt you, Max. Not as long as I can help it."​

===

I have more written, but my head is hurting right now. I think I'm gonna go lie down for a while until it stops.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

:D **applaudes*
    Very nice GNRFan, get your rest hon, I can't wait to read more!!!!:)

3. GregNickRyanFan

Chapter Two

Valera and Ryan were looking around for something to use as a weapon.

"Ryan?" They heard a familiar voice call out. "Maxine?"

"Oh, thank God!" Valera said.

"It's just Calleigh." Ryan said, relieved.

"Are you here?" Calleigh asked.

"Calleigh, we're in the back room. It's clear. The perps are down." Ryan called back.

Calleigh came into the room with Jake and Frank.

"Are you both okay?" Frank asked, leaning down to check the pulses of the perps.

"Yeah, we're fine." Ryan answered. "How about them?"

"They're both dead." Frank said.

Valera looked at Ryan and gave him a soft smile. She gave his hand a gentle squeeze before getting up and walking toward Calleigh. She hugged Calleigh. "Thanks. The earrings came in handy." She told her. Calleigh smiled.

Jake noticed the look on Ryan's face. He walked toward Ryan, who stood up from where he was sitting on the bed. "Hey, Ryan." Jake said.

"Hey, Jake."

"Something going on between you and Valera?" Jake inquired. "Ryan?" He waved his hand in front of Ryan's face. Ryan was staring at Valera.

"Huh?" Ryan asked.

"What's going on with you two?"

"I don't know, man." Ryan said.

"But you like her?"

"I have for a while now."

"A word of advice... make sure Stetler doesn't find out."

"Well, if he gets in our faces about it, I'll bring up the fact that he dated Yelina while working with her."

"Yeah, well..."

"I don't know what we would have done if Valera hadn't had that gun."

"Lucky for both of you that she did."

"What would you have done, Jake?"

"What?"

"If they'd gotten you and Calleigh."

"I'd do whatever I had to do to protect Calleigh... until my last breath."

"As I would for Max."

Jake recognized the look in Ryan's eyes. It was the same way that Jake looked at Calleigh.
    ~ ~ ~
    Valera was walking out of the door toward the parking area.

"Valera?"

She turned, startled by the voice. She saw Ryan and relaxed. "Oh, Ryan."

"Sorry." He apologized. "I didn't mean to startle you. I just thougth maybe you wouldn't mind if I walked you to your car."

She smiled. "Thank you, Ryan. That's very sweet." They walked on toward her parking space. Ryan looked the car over well to make sure no one was in the back seat or anything. "Ryan, don't you think you're being overly cautious?"

"You can't be too careful these days."

She started to unlock the door, but turned around to face him. She had a terrified look on her face and it alarmed him. "What is it?" He asked.

"Ryan, I..."

"What?"

"I don't want to be alone tonight." She said as tears formed in her eyes.

"Oh, Max." He said, pulling her into his embrace. "You don't have to be. You never have to be alone again."
    ~ ~ ~
    They went back to his place. She slept in the guest room. Later that night, Ryan awoke to Valera screaming. He got up and ran into the guest room. "Valera?" he said, sitting down on the bed. He tried to wake her up. She was thrashing about the bed. "Maxine!" He said and her eyes snapped open.

"Ryan!" She said, throwing her arms around him.

"It's okay." He said, hugging her. "Just a bad dream."

"I keep thinking about what would have happened if you hadn't been there." She said, tears in her eyes.

"But, I was there, honey." He told her. "I was there and I'm here now. No one is going to hurt you, Max. You're safe here... with me."

"I'm glad you were there, Ryan and I'm glad you're here with me now. Thank you."

"Where else would I be?" He asked. "Max, I..." He felt his nerves causing his stomach to knot up. He wanted to tell her how he really felt about her. How much he cared for her. But, he didn't know if she felt the same way... or if she ever could.

"What?" She asked.

"When I said that I liked you..."

"You said you really like me." She said with a smile.

"Yeah. Well, I ... I mean it... it's more than that."

"More?"

He nodded. "Max, I... I'm in love with you. I know it might sound crazy considering that we've never been out on a date or anything, but I think that I... I think that I fell a long time ago. I didn't know if you saw me that way, so I never said anything. But, I can't hold it inside anymore. I love you, Maxine Valera."

Valera melted as she looked into his eyes and saw the truth there. "Really?" She asked, not really knowing what else to say.

"Really." He nodded. "I love you. I don't expect you to feel the same way just yet, so it's okay if you don't. I just wanted you to know how..."

He was cut off by her lips crashing against his. "You don't know how long I've been hoping to hear you say that." She said.

"Does that mean..."

"Yes, Ryan. I love you too." She said and he smiled before kissing her. He leaned her against the mattress gently as he continued to kiss her. He moved his mouth to her neck and she moaned. He could feel his pants getting tighter. He looked up at her, his eyes asking for permission to continue. She nodded. "Yes, Ryan." She said. "Please."

He smiled lovingly at her before kissing her again. "Oh, Max." He whispered, stroking her cheek with his fingertips. "You are so beautiful." He whispered softly as he slipped the strap of her tank top down. he kissed her shoulder. "So beautiful." Their hands locked together as they connected body and soul. Several more I love yous were whispered throughout the night.
    ~ ~ ~
    Ryan opened his eyes, seeing Valera's head against his chest. He smiled, placing a kiss on her crown as she slept. he stroked her hair with the fingertips of his left hand as he stroked her back with his right hand.

Valera opened her eyes and looked up at Ryan, finding him staring back at her. "Hi." She smiled.

"Good morning, beautiful." Ryan said, kissing her forehead. "Are you hungry?"

"A little bit."

"Okay. I'll make something for breakfast. What would you like?"

"Surprise me."

"Okay." He kissed her before getting out of the bed and going into the kitchen.
    ~ ~ ~
    Eric had not fallen asleep easily in the night after his talk with Calleigh earlier. She had told him that she loved and cared about him as a friend, but that she was in love with Jake. She told Eric that she'd been in love with Jake for many years. She said that no matter how hard she had tried in the past to fight her love for Jake, she never did get over him. She could no longer fight her feelings. If she tried, she was only delaying the inevitable... because she always ended up back in Jake's arms.

Eric had finally fallen askeep at around two a.m. As he slept, he began to dream. He was sitting on the beach, under a shade.

"Hey, Eric." A voice said.

He looked up and saw Tim Speedle. "Speed!"

"What are you doing?" Speed asked as he sat down.

"Just enjoying the beach on my day off."

"No, Eric." Speed sighed. "I'm talking about pining after Calleigh."

"What?"

"Come on, Eric... we both know that you're not actually in love with her."

"I'm not?"

"No, you're just using her as a crutch... or a safety net of sorts. You've been through a lot."

"Yeah." Eric nodded. "You dying, then my sister and then me getting shot... and then what happened with H."

"You have to stop being afraid, Eric. I know that Calleigh's someone you know you can trust with your life."

"Just not with my heart."

"Eric, you always knew she loved Jake. You always knew she thoght of you as only a friend. Or at least you used to know that."

"What are you saying, Speed?"

"I'm saying that the bullet... your injury... it's screwing up your head."

"You think so, huh?"

"I know so. There was someone you liked before... but, in true Delko fashion, you went and screwed that up. You can fix it if its something that you really want."

"What are you talking about, Speed?"

"You need to remember, Eric." He put his hand on Eric's shoulder.

Eric opened his eyes when he heard someone knocking on his door. he sat up, grabbed his crutches and went to the door. He pulled it open. "Natalia."

"Hi, Eric. I was in the neighborhood and just thought I'd stop by and see how you were doing."

"It's just a broken leg, Natalia."

"I know."

"What time is it?"

"Almost one in the afternoon. Did you just wake up?"

"Yeah. I didn't get to sleep until late."

"Oh. Do you want me to go?"

Eric thought back to Speed's words. It dawned on him that Speed had been talking about Natalia. Here she was coming by to check on him even though it was a minor injury. His mind started replaying images from the past... his past with Natalia. "No!" He exclaimed. "Please, stay. I'll order us a pizza."

"Okay, I'll stay." She walked inside and he shut the door.
    (end of chapter)​

=============

I'll try to write more soon. I'm going to go to Karaoke tomorrow, so I don't know how much I'll get done (if any) before that, but I'll try. Hope you liked chapter two. :)

4. MacsLovlyAngl

MacsLovlyAngl Head of the Graveyard Shift

You finally got it up.:thumbsup:

Great chapters, love the gun in Valera's bra. and the bullets earrings, great idea. It's funny how we can see someone everyday and not realize we love them until the situation is forced upon us.

Great openeing Chapter.:)

Loved the Speed/Eric talk. then having Natalia show up at the door, to make sure Eric was okay. Then having her stay, while they ordered pizza.

Great start GNRF, hope to read more soon.;)

5. GregNickRyanFan

Chapter Three

Calleigh and Ryan were at the hospital visiting Horatio (after finishing their case). Ryan walked out of the hospital room to get some coffee.​

"Somebody help me, please!" A girl's voice called out.​

That voice. Ryan thought. He turned to see who the voice belonged to. His eyes widened when he saw his niece. She had scratches and bruises all over her. "Lia?" Ryan said, walking toward her. "Honey, what happened to you?"​

"Uncle Ryan!" She exclaimed with tears in her eyes. "I'm so glad you're here!"​

"Sweetheart, what's wrong?" He asked, starting to reach out to hug her.​

"Don't touch me!" She said suddenly, startling him.​

"Honey, I'm sorry. I just..."​

"No, it's just that I need..."​

"What?"​

"I'm evidence."​

"Evidence?" He asked. He looked down, noticing that her clothes were torn. His heart sunk, knowing what had happened to his young niece. "Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. Did you know him?"​

She shook her head. "I was home by myself. I was asleep. Someone broke in and he came into my bedroom." She cried.​

He wanted so badly to pull her into his arms, but he knew he couldn't until she was processed. he couldn't even take her hand in his. "Do you want me to call your Mom?"​

She shook her head. "It wouldn't do any good, Uncle Ryan."​

"What do you mean, sweetheart?"​

"She's out of the country on some stupid trip with her new husband."​

Ryan winced at the tone in her voice. Her Mom would nto be recieving the mother of the year award anytime soon, that was for sure. Lia's father (Ryan's older brother, Seth) and her mother Tina had gotten divorced when Lia was seven years old. They had gotten joint custody of Lia. Seth had been killed in an automobile accident just a couple of years ago.​

Aside from being Lia's uncle, Ryan was also her godfather. She had even been named partially after Ryan. Her full first name was Rylia. Lia's mother (and apparently the stepfather as well) didn't seem to give a damn about her. She was just an inconvience for them.​

"Honey, I hate to ask this, but..."​

"Uncle Ryan!" She exclaimed. "I'm only fourteen! Of course I was a virgin!"​

"Okay, I'm sorry." He hadn't been sure what her answer would be. Kids these days were in a big hurry to grow up it seemed. He wanted to find the creep that assaulted his niece and he wanted to pulvarize him. Calleigh walked toward them. "Calleigh, this is Lia." Ryan introduced them.​

"Your niece?" Calleigh asked and Ryan nodded. "Hi, Lia. I'm Calleigh."​

"Hi." Lia said.​

"Calleigh, I need you to process Lia."​

"What?"​

"She was..." He couldn't say it. It broke his heart to even think about it.​

Calleigh noticed the girl's clothes and bruises/scratches and got the message. "Oh, okay."​

"Lia, did you see his face?" Ryan asked his niece.​

"No, he was wearing a mask."​

"Okay, honey." He said. "I'm glad that you came here. Maybe we'll be able to get his DNA and find him and put him away."​

"Will I have to testify?"​

"I don't know, sweetie." He looked at Calleigh. "I'm going to call Eric. I can't work this case, as much as I want to."​

"Okay, Ryan." Calleigh said. "Come with me, Lia." Calleigh looked at Ryan. "I'll come get you when I'm done."​

"Okay, thanks, Calleigh."​

"Sure." She said as she and Lia walked down the hallway. "Your uncle really cares about you, Lia."​

"More than my Mom ever did." She said bitterly.​

Ryan pulled out his cellphone and dialed Eric. "Hey, Eric. It's Ryan."​

"Hey, Ryan. What's up?"​

"I need you to come to the hospital. Could you please bring Max with you?"​

"Why? What's wrong? Is it Horatio?"​

"No, he's fine. I'll explain when you get here."​

"Okay, we're on our way." He hung up the phone and walked into the DNA lab. "Valera."​

"Oh, hey, Eric."​

"We have to go."​

"Where?"​

"The hospital."​

"Why?" She asked as her phone rang. "Is it Horatio?"​

"No, but Ryan wants you to come. That's probably him now."​

She looked at the caller ID on the phone. "Yeah, it is." She answered it. "Ryan, are you okay?"​

"No." Came the answer. Max and Eric walked out to the parking area.​

"Are you hurt?"​

"Physically, I'm fine, but I... I need you, Max."​

"We're on our way. We're getting into the car now."​

"Okay."​

"Ryan..." She said as he had gotten quiet.​

"Yeah, I'm still here."​

"I love you."​

"I love you too, Max."​

"Do you want me to stay on the phone with you until we get there?"​

"Thanks, Max."​

"Of course."​

"It's my niece." He told her.​

"What?"​

"She's been... hurt."​

"Someone hurt her?"​

"Yes."​

"And you need Eric to work the case because it's a conflict of interest for you."​

"Right... not to mention if I catch this guy first, there won't be any need for a trial for him because I'll kill him!"​

Max had never heard Ryan speak like that before. It alarmed her. "Oh My God!" She said, realizing what must have happened to Ryan's niece. "Your niece... she was ... raped wasn't she?"​

"Yes." He answered. "Someone broke into her house. She was asleep. He came into her room."​

"Oh God. Is she physically hurt... I mean, other than that?"​

"She has some scratches and bruises. She didn't see his face, he had a mask on."​

"Oh. I'm so sorry, Ryan."​

"Her Mom and stepdad went out of the country on some vacation or something. Lia's been home alone all week."​

"Why didn't her Mom call you and ask if Lia could stay with you?"​

"Because she's an inconsiderate bitch, that's why!" He said angrily, but then softened. "I'm sorry, Max. I didn't mean to yell."​

"It's okay, Ryan. You have every right to be upset."​

"But, I didn't mean to yell in your ear like that."​

"It's okay. You don't have to apologize, Ryan."​

"Max, she was..." He paused, trying to think of the right way to say it. "Innocent." He finally settled on.​

"We just pulled up in the parking lot. We'll be inside in a few seconds."​

"Okay, I'll see you in a bit then." They both hung up their phones.​

"So, his niece was raped?"​

"Yeah. Eric, the guy broke into Lia's house while she was sleeping. She said he was wearing a mask. She's just a kid. How could someone do that?"​

"I don't know, Valera."​

"Ryan's pretty upset. I'm telling you, Eric... when you find out who this guy is... you better not let Ryan know anything about him. If Ryan gets his hands on the guy there's no telling what he'll do to him."​

"Okay." They walked inside.​

Valera saw Ryan with tears in his eyes. She knew the situation was hitting him even harder than she thought. "Ryan." She hugged him.​

"Thanks for coming, Max." He told her.​

"Where else would I be, Ryan?"​

"Tina doesn't care about that little girl, but I..."​

"I know, sweetie." Max said, still hugging him.​

"I wanted so badly to take her into my arms and just hold her. I couldn't even hold her, Max."​

"Oh, Ryan." She kissed his cheek. "You can soon."​

"Ryan, I promise you that we will catch this guy." Eric told him.​

"Thanks, Eric." Ryan said. He looked at Valera. "Max, is it okay if Lia stays with us?"​

"Of course, Ryan."​

"Hey, Eric, Maxine." Calleigh said as she walked toward them. She looked at Ryan. "Lia's asking for you."​

"Calleigh, was there any... I mean is she..."​

"She'll be okay, Ryan. I do think that it would be helpful for her to go to counseling though."​

"Okay." ​

"The nurse said that Lia needs to come back later so they can do a pregnancy test."​

"Can't they just give her one of those pills or something?"​

"They said they'd need her parents permission for that."​

"Well, her parents are not here. I'm her guardian right now."​

"You'll need to talk to the doctor or a nurse then."​

"Okay. Thanks, Calleigh."​

"She'll also have to be tested for HIV." Calleigh told him, gently.​

"Oh, God!" He exclaimed, tears falling from his eyes. "I can't believe this is happening." Valera hugged him. "Calleigh, could you do me another favor?" Ryan asked.​

"Anything."​

"Could you call your Dad?"​

"For what?"​

"I need a lawyer. I'm going to file for custody of Lia. Her mother only cares about her stupid new husband. She doesn't care about Lia. She doesn't care what happens to that little girl. What happened was bad enough, but what if she'd been killed? I promised my brother before he died that I would look after Lia... that I would protect her. I am going to do everything in my power to make sure that she's safe from now on."​

"Okay, Ryan. I'll make the call."​

"Thank you, Calleigh." He hugged her. "For everything."​

"You're welcome."​

Ryan took Valera's hand and walked toward the room Lia was in. When he got inside the room, the first thing he did was go to her and pull her into a hug.​

"Uncle Ryan?"​

"What is it, honey?"​

"Who is that?" She whispered, seeing Valera in the doorway.​

"Oh." He turned toward the door and reached out his hand. Valera walked in and took his hand. "Lia, this is Maxine, my girlfriend."​

"Hi, Lia."​

"Hi." Lia replied. She looked at Ryan. "Uncle Ryan, I can't stay in that house anymore."​

"It's okay, sweetheart." He told her. "You don't have to. You can come stay with us."​

She smiled. "I'd like that."​

"Honey, what didn't you call me when your Mom and stepdad left?"​

"The phone was turned off cause they didn't pay the bill. They spent all of their money on the stupid trip. And I don't have a cell phone."​

"How'd you get to the hospital?"​

"The lady next door drove me."​

"Oh."​

"Uncle Ryan?"​

"Yeah, sweetie?"​

"I really hate my Mom and her stupid husband."​

"I know." He kissed her forehead. "Listen, what would you think about staying with me and Max permanently?"​

"Seriously? You mean it?"​

"Of course I mean it, sweetheart."​

"So what, you're gonna file for custody or something?"​

"Exactly."​

She smiled. "I love you, Uncle Ryan." She hugged him.​

"I love you too, honey." He said, kissing her forehead. "So much."​

~ ~ ~ ​

Later that night, Lia was asleep in the guest room (which would now be her bedroom). Ryan and Valera were sitting on the couch. Ryan turned off the television.​

"She's a sweet girl." Valera said.​

"Yes, she is." Ryan nodded.​

He thought back to when she was little. He'd come over to visit and she'd run to him saying, "Unc-Ry!" She'd throw her tiny arms around him and give him a kiss on the cheek. He smiled at the memory. A scream shook him out of his memories.​

"Lia!" He said, jumping up from the couch and running into her bedroom. He turned on the light. "Lia?" She was having a nightmare. "Lia, wake up, honey."​

She opened her eyes. "Uncle Ryan! He was chasing me and I was so scared." She said, tears in her eyes.​

He pulled her into his arms. "It's okay, baby. I've got you. You're safe now. No one is ever going to hurt you again." He felt the tears pricking the corners of his eyes. "I'm here now, baby. Shh... it's okay. Everything is going to be okay." He rocked her in his arms as he dropped kisses into her hair. "Shh..."​

Maxine stood in the doorway watching the scene with a smile. The way Ryan was so protective of Lia, moved her. She could tell that he loved his niece a lot and that made Valera love Ryan even more. Lately she had been thinking about what it would be like to have a child with Ryan. She could tell by his interaction with Lia that he would be a great father to any children that they might have in the not so distant future.​

It only took a few minutes before Lia had fallen asleep in her uncle's arms. Ryan gently laid her back down against the pillow. He covered her with the blankets. "Goodnight, sweet pea." He whispered. "Sweet dreams. I love you." He kissed her forehead, turned out the light (but turned on a small lamp in the room) and walked toward the door. ​

"Is she okay?" Valera asked.​

"Yeah, she'll be fine." He turned back to glance at his sleeping niece one last time before taking Valera's hand and walking out of the room.​

(end of chapter)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  6. MacsLovlyAngl

Awww..poor Lia,:( hope Ryan can help her through it, and Kenwall can get him custody.

Thank God for Calleigh being there to process her.

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

How sweet! Ryan being a "Daddy":lol:
    The interacting among characters is really great in this story, nice to see everyone being involved. Very good.:)

~~~
    I just realized I hadn't commented on the chapter with Speed & Eric's "talk". I found it to be a very nice touch. You did well writing him in...& of course I love that Natalia came to see how Eric was doing & he wanted her to stay & have lunch with him!! Me likey.

8. GregNickRyanFan

I was gonna post another chapter, but my bro asked if I wanted to go play Laser Tag and I've been itching to do that for years! :lol: So, I'm gonna take that oppurtunity now. I'll post the chapter when I get back if I can. :)

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I really like what I've read so far.Waiting eagerly for the next chapter.

10. GregNickRyanFan

***Didn't get to do laser tag today. The wait was too long. Oh well, mabye another time.***

Here's the next chapter. I should probably warn you that you might want to keep a tissue nearby as this chapter contains heartbreaking flashbacks. :)

Chapter Four

Ryan was looking through a box of stuff he found in a closet of his brother's apartment. Ryan had brought the box home after Seth's death, but had never looked in it. Seth had been in the process of moving into a house before he was killed, so he had quite a bit of his belongings already packed up.​

Ryan found a photo album and started flipping through it. He smiled at the pictures of his brother and himself as kids. They had always been close. Seth had always looked out for Ryan and had never let anyone bully him. He turned the page, seeing a photo from his graduation. He was standing with Seth and the brothers had their arms around each other.​

"Ryan?" Valera said, entering the room.​

Ryan looked up. "Hey, Max."​

"What'cha doing?"​

"Looking through this photo album." He answered. "It was Seth's."​

"Your brother." She said knowingly. "You miss him a lot."​

"Yeah, I do." He turned another page and saw pictures of himself with Seth the day that Lia was born. Seth was holding Lia. Tears filled Ryan's eyes.​

"Ryan?"​

"I promised him, Max."​

"What?"​

***Flashback***

Ryan saw his brother's car totalled. He got out of his own car, finding the EMT's putting Seth on a stretcher. "Seth!" He said, going toward him.

"We've got to get him to the hospital." An EMT said.

"He's my brother. I'm going with him." Ryan told the EMT, who nodded. Ryan got in the back of the ambulence.

"Seth, it's Ryan. Can you hear me?"

"Hey, little brother." Seth said, opening his eyes. He coughed.

"Hang on, okay? We're almost to the hospital."

"Ryan, I'm not gonna make it."

"Don't say that, Seth. You're gonna be okay. You have to be... for Lia. She needs her Dad."

"Ryan, take care of her for me."

"Seth..."

"Ryan, promise me."

"What?"

"Promise me that you'll protect my little girl."

"I promise, I will... but, you're gonna be okay."

"Ryan, I... I love you, little brother."

There were tears in Ryan's eyes. "I love you too, Seth."

"Tell Lia that I... tell her that her Daddy loves her very much and that she was the best gift I've ever recieved. Will you tell her that for me?"

"Yes, I will."

"Goodbye, little brother."

"Seth, please!" Ryan pleaded as the monitor went flat. The EMT's made several attemtps to revive Seth, but to no avail.

"Call it."

"Time of death, ten-fifteen p.m."

"No, Seth!" Ryan cried, hugging his brother. "Please!"

~ ~ ~

Ryan walked up to the door and rang the doorbell. Tina opened the door. "Hi, Ryan."

"Tina, I need to talk to Lia."

"What's wrong?" Tina asked, noticing that Ryan looked upset.

"It's Seth."

"What happened?"

"There was a car accident. It wasn't his fault... but, he..."

"He didn't make it?"

"No, he didn't."

"I'm sorry, Ryan."

Ryan nodded. "Is it okay if I tell Lia?"

"Of course. I don't think I'd be able to find a way anyway. It'll probably be better coming from you."

"Where is she?"

"She's in the backyard playing."

"Okay." He headed around to the back gate. He opened the gate, walked in and closed the gate back.

Ten year old Lia looked up from the swings. "Uncle Ryan!" She said, jumping off the swing and running toward him.

"Hi, sweet pea." He said.

"I'm glad to see you." She told him, throwing her arms around his neck. He started to cry. "Uncle Ryan, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"Let's go sit down, honey." He said, taking her hand. They walked over to the picnic table and sat down.

"Why are you sad, Uncle Ryan?"

"Sweetheart, I have something to tell you."

"Something bad?"

"Yes, honey."

"What is it?"

"There was an accident today. Your Daddy was hurt really bad."

"He's in the hospital?"

"No, baby. He... he died, sweetheart."

"Noooooo!" She cried and he hugged her.

"I'm so sorry, baby." He said, crying with her. "He wanted you to know that he loved you very much. He said to tell you that you are the best gift he ever got."

"I miss him." She cried.

"I know, baby. Me too." He kissed her forehead.

"Uncle Ryan?"

"What is it, honey?"

"Is Daddy with the angels now?"

"Yes, sweet pea, he is." They just held each other and cried until they were both all cried out.

***End of Flashback***

"I promised Seth that I would protect her." Ryan told Max.​

"What?"​

"I failed him, Max." He said with tears in his eyes. "I failed him and I failed that little girl."​

"Ryan, you didn't fail anyone. You're here for her now."​

"But, I wasn't there then, Max. When she needed me the most, I wasn't there."​

"Sweetheart, you had no way of knowing what was going to happen. There was no way you could have known that she was in danger. What happened is not your fault. Here mother never should have left her alone like that. It's not your fault." She said, taking his face in her hands. "Look at me, Ryan." He looked up at her. "This isn't your fault, baby. It's not your fault." She said and he put his head in the crook of her neck as he cried. She held him, reassuring him that he was not to blame. "What happened was beyond your control, Ryan. What matters is that she needs you now and you're here for her now. My God, Ryan... you're planning on filing for custody of her because her mom neglected her. You've done everything that you could do for her after what happened. You're here for her now. All she needs now is to feel safe and to know that someone cares about her. You're giving her those things, Ryan. We'll give her those things."​

"We?"​

"Of course, Ryan. I'll be here to help with whatever I can. You know cause sometimes there are things that a girl can't tell her uncle." She winked at him, causing him to grin a little. "I'm here for you, Ryan and I'll be here for Lia as well."​

"Thank you, Max." He said softly. "Thank you for being here."​

"Nowhere else I'd rather be, Ryan."​

He hugged her. "I love you, Max. I love you so much."​

"I love you too, Ryan." She replied and he kissed her.​

~ ~ ~ ​

Aaron saw Delko staring at Natalia. "Dude, why don't you just go ask her out already?" Aaron said.​

"You think? I kind of screwed things up last time around."​

"Start with something small. Ask her out for coffee or something."​

"I don't know if she..."​

"Dude, you'll never know if you don't ask. Now, go!" He pushed Delko toward Natalia.​

"Hi, Eric." Natalia smiled at him.​

"Hi, Natalia."​

"What's going on?"​

"Nothing. I was just wondering if maybe..."​

"What, Eric?"​

"Would you like to get some coffee or something with me after shift?"​

"Sure."​

"Really?"​

"Yeah, it's a date." She smiled, walking away down the hallway. Eric grinned and Aaron gave him a thumbs up.​

~ ~ ~ ​

Ryan and Valera walked into the livingroom just as Lia came into the room, stretching and yawning. "Good morning, sunshine." Ryan said, smiling at the girl.​

"Morning." She replied.​

"Are you hungry, Lia?" Max asked and Lia nodded. "You like pancakes?" The girl nodded again.​

"Okay, I'll go make us some."​

"Thanks." Lia said. Max nodded and went into the kitchen. "Uncle Ryan?"​

"Yeah?"​

"Do you ever miss Dad?"​

"All the time."​

"Me too." She sat down on the couch beside Ryan.​

"I know, sweetie." He hugged her, kissing her crown. "Hey, listen..." He started. "How would you like to go somewhere fun today?"​

"Like where?"​

"I don't know, honey. Your choice."​

"Well, there's a fair in town."​

"The fair? You've got it, sweet pea." He kissed her forehead.​

(end of chapter)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  11. MacsLovlyAngl

Great update. Good emotion in the Flashback scene. That was well done.

Update soon

12. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Sweet chapter! Nice to see Ryan getting a well deserved background, even if it is sad, and fanfic.:p

13. GregNickRyanFan

Chapter Five

Ryan and Valera took Lia to the fair.​

"Lia, before we go in," Valera said. "I want to give you something." Ryan looked at Max curiously. Max held out a necklace with a whistle on it. "Places like this can get really crowded and sometimes people can get accidentally separated from each other. So, I want you to have this. If on the off chance that we do get separated and anyone approaches you and makes you feel uncomfortable, you can blow on the whistle. Hopefully, this will deter them from approaching you further. Hopefully we won't get separated, but this is just in case." She put the necklace around Lia's neck.​

"Thanks, Maxine." Lia said, smiling.​

"What made you think of that?" Ryan asked his girlfriend.​

"My siblings and I always had to wear one of those whenever we went anywhere like this. We'd all hold hands in the beginning, but with large crowds, sometimes people get knocked apart, you know?"​

"Yeah." Ryan said. "Thanks, Max." He said softly hugging her and then looking into her eyes.​

Lia rolled her eyes playfully. "Come on, Uncle Ryan." She said. "You can thank her properly when we get back home." She winked.​

Maxine blushed, giggling as she covered her mouth with her hand. Ryan shook his head, laughing. "Lia!" He was glad that she was feeling better.​

"Maxine?" Lia said.​

"Yeah?"​

"Why did your parents make you and your siblings wear one of these?" She asked, playing with the necklace.​

"Because a kid that lived in our neighborhood got separated from his parents in a crowded place."​

"Did they ever find him?"​

"Yeah, but..."​

"It was too late?"​

"Yeah. Someone grabbed him after he became separated from his family."​

"They killed him?"​

"I'm sorry, Lia. I didn't mean to scare you."​

"You didn't. I asked the question. I know you're trying to help and I appreciate that, but you don't have to worry so much. Either of you." she said. "I'm okay, really... at least I'm trying to be. But, thank you, Maxine." She hugged her. "And the whistle is a good idea by the way. It can do more than deter prank callers and be used as a referee/coach's tool in sports." The two adults laughed at her comment. "Thank you." Lia said again.​

"You're welcome." Max smiled at the teen.​

"Hey, guys!" Calleigh said as she and Jake walked toward them.​

"Hi, Calleigh!" Lia said, hugging her.​

"Hi, sweetie. How are you doing?"​

"I'm okay."​

"This is Jake." Calleigh told her.​

"Your fiance?"​

"Yeah."​

"Hi, Lia." Jake said.​

"Hi."​

"Wow! Everyone's here today!" Calleigh said, seeing Eric and Natalia.​

"Did you leave anyone at work?" Lia joked. Everyone laughed.​

"It's been a slow day." Eric said.​

"By the way, where is Kyle staying and has there been any word on his mother's whereabouts?" Valera asked.​

"Kyle is staying with Yelina and Ray Jr while H is in the hospital." Eric answered. "And no, there's been no word on Julia. It's like she just disappeared off the face of the Earth. Yelina said that Kyle is taking it pretty hard."​

"I just don't understand how Julia could do this to Kyle with everything that's been going on with Horatio." Natalia said.​

"Well, you know... there is another possibility." Calleigh said.​

"You think she's dead?" Nat asked.​

"It's possible."​

"Are we going to talk shop all day or are we going to have some fun?" Lia asked and they all laughed.​

"Come on, let's go." Ryan took Valera's hand and then Lia's hand and walked to the ticket booth. The others followed.​

"I have an idea." Lia said.​

"What's that, Lia?" Ryan asked.​

"We should get something for Lieutenant Caine."​

"What?"​

"Look, there's a picture booth. We could get our picture taken together... all of us and have it put on a t-shirt or something for him."​

"That's an excellent idea, Lia." Max told her.​

"That's very sweet, honey." Ryan added, kissing Lia on the top of her head. "What do you say, guys?" Everyone nodded in agreement.​

For the picture, Ryan stood by Valera with his arm around her. Lia stood in front of them with Ryan's other hand on one of her shoulders and Valera's hond on the opposite shoulder. Valer's other hand was against Ryan's chest. Calleigh stood on Valera's other side, Jake beside her, their arms around each other. Eric stood on Ryan's other side with Natalia beside him, they held hands.​

~ ~ ~ ​

"Uncle Ryan, can I have some cotton candy?"​

"Yes, baby." He told her. "You can have anything you want." He kissed her forehead.​

"Careful, Uncle Ryan." She teased. "You might spoil me." Everyone laughed.​

"Your niece has quite the sense of humor." Jake said.​

"Yeah, she gets it from me." Ryan joked.​

"Haha." Eric said. "Oh wait, that's your line."​

"Actually, my line would be the joke and you as the listener would be the one saying haha." Ryan countered playfully. Everyone laughed as they walked toward the line for the first ride of the day.​

(end of chapter)

===========================

I was gonna post this chapter at about midnight last night, but then stupid internet explorer froze up on me and I was so disgusted with it that I just shut the computer down. :lol:

Sorry it's such a short chapter. I'll try to write and post more tomorrow, but Thursday, I'm going out of town and won't be back until Sunday and I won't have internet access while I'm out of town.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  14. MacsLovlyAngl

Aww sweet update. I want some cotton candy:lol:

That' was great GNRF. IT's nice to see the gang all together at the fair. And how sweet that they thought of a t-shirt for Horatio.

Update soon.:)

15. GregNickRyanFan

Chapter Six

Calleigh, Natalia and Maxine all went into one of the shops at the fair. Lia and the guys stayed outside and waited for them.

Max saw a dreamcatcher and picked it up. "This is perfect." She smiled.

"Dreamcatcher." Calleigh said, coming up beside Max.

"I had one of those when I was a kid." Natalia said.

"Did it work?"

"I don't remember having anymore nightmares after I got one. At least not until I grew up and got involved with Nick."

Valera nodded knowingly. "Yeah." She looked back at the dreamcatcher. "I was thinking of getting this for Lia. It's even her favorite color. She likes purple." Valera smiled. "She's a sweet girl."

"Yeah, she is." Calleigh agreed. "And she adores Ryan."

Valera smiled. "You should see him with her. He's so great with her. She had a nightmare and woke up screaming. Ryan just held her telling her she was safe. It didn't take long before she was back asleep. But, it was so sweet. As much as I already love him, that made me love him even more. And it made me think about..." She trailed off.

"About someday having a baby with him?" Calleigh asked and Max nodded.
    ~ ~ ~
    "Lia, there's something I need to talk to you about." Ryan said.

"It sounds serious."

"Yeah, it is." He said as they sat down at a table.

"You're..." She paused. "You're not sending me away are you?"

"What!" He exclaimed. "Sending you away? Of course not, baby." He said, hugging her. "Why would you ever even think that, sweetheart?"

"I'm sorry, Uncle Ryan. I guess I'm just paranoid. My mom doesn't want me, apparently."

"Listen to me, honey." He said. "It wasn't you. Your Mom just has issues, okay? You did nothing wrong, sweetie. She just... she was..."

"Selfish?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"I was in her way."

"Sweetheart..." He said softly. "Sweetheart, look at me." He titled her chin. "I love you and I will never, ever leave you." She hugged him and he kissed her crown.

"Uncle Ryan, what if they won't let me stay with you?"

"Who, honey?"

"The courts."

"Sweetie, I don't want you to worry about that."

"I can't help it, Uncle Ryan. I like staying with you and Maxine. I don't want anyone to take me away."

"No one is going to take you away from me, Lia. I will not let that happen. I promise. Okay?"

She nodded, hugging him again. "So, what is it then?"

"What?"

"What did you want to talk to me about?"

"Well, I was thinking about asking Max to..."

"You're going to propose to her?"

"Yeah."

"And you want to know how I feel about it? Uncle Ryan, you don't need my permission. But, for the record... I think it's a good idea."

He grinned. "You do, huh?"

"I like her. She's nice and I can see how happy she makes you. You love her, right?"

"Yes, I do... very much."

"Then you should definitely ask her." She hugged him.

"Well, I want to show you somethig and I want you to tell me what you think. Okay?"

"The ring? You brought it with you?"

"Yeah." He pulled it out of his pocket and sat it on the table.

She picked up the box and opened it. Her eyes widened when she saw the ring. "Woah!"

"So, what do you think?"

"I think it's perfect, Uncle Ryan. You're gonna ask her here?"

"I was planning on it, yeah."

"Go for it." She told him, handing him the box. "Here she comes." He put the box back in his pocket.

"Hey, ladies." Eric said.

"Have fun?" Jake asked.

"Yep!" They all answered.

Ryan got up and walked over to Max. Lia got up as well, walking over toward Calleigh and Jake. "Max, there's something I need to ask you." Ryan said.

"Okay."

"Max, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you." He knelt in front of her as he pulled the ring box out of his pocket, opening it. "Will you marry me?"

Shock registered on her face, but it took her less than a second to answer him. "Yes, Ryan. Of course I'll marry you."

"Yay!" Lia said, quietly.

Ryan smiled and put the ring on Maxine's finger. He stood to his feet and pulled her against him. "I love you."

"I love you too." She said, tears of joy in her eyes. He kissed her passionately as the others looked on, clapping and cheering.

Lia turned to Eric and whispered, "Your turn, Delko."

"What?" He asked.

"Jake and Calleigh are engaged and now Uncle Ryan and Maxine. You and Natalia are next."

"It's a little too soon for that right now, Lia." He smiled at the teen. "But, someday."
    (end of chapter)

========

Okay, I'll try to write some more while I"m out of town and post it when I return. Hope you liked this chapter. :)