CSI: Crime Scene Investigation--'For Gedda'

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, May 17, 2008.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<p><b>Synopsis:</b><p>A funeral comes to a shocking halt when the coffin being carried breaks, revealing not one but two dead bodies. The second man is identified as Leonard Hayner, a former cop turned PI. Warrick is shocked when he recognizes the man; Hodges sees the CSI take a call in Grissom's office and rush off. Archie recovers a taped PI session from Hayner's files with incriminating comments from Lou Gedda, a mobster Warrick has tangled with in the past. Hours later, Warrick is found, gun in hand, leaning over the bloody, beaten body of Gedda at Gedda's strip club, the Pigalle. As a stunned Brass and Grissom look on, Warrick is arrested for the murder. The night shift team is taken off the case since it involves one of their own. Warrick is interrogated by IAB officer Wagenbach, and the CSI admits to being the one to hire the PI to investigate Gedda. But Warrick claims he can't remember anything after getting the call from Gedda and arriving at the Pigalle. Wagenbach presents the evidence against him: his handcuffs were restraining Gedda, he's covered in Gedda's blood, and Gedda was murdered with bullets from his gun. Even Warrick admits how damning the evidence is, but he sticks to his story that he can't recall what happened.<p>Grissom goes to Ecklie and asks to see the files for the case, and Ecklie agrees to make copies for him. Catherine offers Warrick a few words of encouragement. Grissom, Nick and Hodges discover a break in the blood splatter on Warrick's shirt, indicating someone could have been holding Warrick up from behind and firing his gun. Grissom also notices the ligature marks on Gedda's wrist indicate the handcuffs he was bound with were three millimeters thicker than Warrick's. Grissom and his team go over the case files, noting the presence of chloroform in Gedda's blood. They test Warrick for it, but the tests come up negative, and Hodges notes the drug would be out of his system by now even if it had been present. Undersheriff McKeen tells Warrick the DA is willing to consider a charge of manslaughter. Catherine finds chloroform in the PI's body, linking his murder to Gedda's. Grissom recalls Warrick's suspicions that Gedda had a mole in the department. He looks at both crime scenes and is able to identify fingerprints from one officer at both scenes, and on the coffin the PI's body was found in: Daniel Pritchard. Grissom goes through the officer's locker, finding his handcuffs missing but discovering the key to them covered in blood.<p>With conclusive evidence that Warrick was framed, Grissom tells the CSI he's going to be freed. He notes that he's asked the Undersheriff to suspend and demote Warrick instead of firing him, and he'd hopeful McKeen will agree. A free man once again, Warrick takes the team to a dive diner for breakfast. After the rest of their colleagues have left, Nick suggests grabbing a beer, but Warrick opts to go home for a shower instead. Leaving Nick behind to flirt with the waitress, Warrick goes to his car, but before he can drive off, Undersheriff McKeen shows up. McKeen asks Warrick if he's going to drop the investigation, but while the CSI promises not to go rogue again, he suspects someone higher up than Pritchard is responsible for Gedda's death and he's determined to find that person. McKeen nods and tells Warrick he's a great CSI--and then he shoots Warrick twice. As Warrick dies, McKeen wipes down the gun, tosses it in Warrick's car and walks away.<p><b>Analysis:</b><p>I knew it was coming. Not when I saw the preview for this episode. Not when Warrick was found covered in blood holding a gun by Gedda's body. Not when it became apparent Warrick was being framed. Not even when Warrick was cleared and Grissom told him he wasn't going to lose his job. No, it wasn't until the CSIs were all together in the diner for breakfast that I got a sinking feeling in my stomach: one character has already exited alive this season, and such luck was not going to strike twice.<p>Which isn't to say that the moment when Undersheriff McKean shot Warrick wasn't incredibly shocking: it was. It was probably the most shocking thing I've seen in any <i>CSI</i> show, ever, despite that strong, sinking feeling I had that something bad was about to happen to Warrick. When he got into his car, I had the momentary fear it was going to explode; I'm thankful it didn't go that way--the character deserved a less cliched and more memorable send off. And he got one. The Undersheriff was clearly trying to determine how much Warrick knew and if he was going to let matters rest. When it became clear he wasn't, the Undersheriff noted what a great CSI Warrick was--and then shot him twice.<p><HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5"><p>To read the full reviews, please click <A HREF="http://www.csifiles.com/reviews/csi/for_gedda.shtml">here</A>.<center></center>

2. tazgrama

tazgrama Civilian

I cannot believe Warrick is dead I love this show I even watch the reruns over an over now not sure I want to watch it anymore I know things have to change to start the new episodes but I believe somebhoy else should have died not the main ones in the show am sad really really loved this show

3. Sushie_Shuakhwe

Sushie_Shuakhwe Hit and Run

I'm Australian, so naturally, we probably won't get this episode until late this year. And if channel nine is especially cruel, they'll do what they did to us with Grave Danger, and just put it next year. :p Who knows. I've read what I wanted to, though, so, I have some questions. So he's really dead? They're not going to pull a Jim or a Sara on us and leave it until the last minute to show us they're gonna live? Although, therein lies the problem. With Dourdan actually gone, the likelihood of survival, especially when looking at the injuries, is next to impossible. A season long coma is also more a soapy show thing, than of a CSI level, so, really, not that possible.

I'm kind of disappointed that they chose McKeen, because I kind of had the impression he was genuine, if not strict and tied by political tape. On the other hand, and really, mostly, I'm rather happy. I'm a long time fan and writer of Conrad Ecklie, so now that I think about it, I'm immensely relieved that it wasn't him they chose to handle this dirty work. I mean, I've spent four years inside the man's head, so this episode could have made or broken my tiny and largely invisible writing career. I know nobody else will celebrate Ecklie's continued innocence, but, I'm happy to see Marc Vann back in those impressive shoes, and I'm really quite chuffed to see him become a real person in this episode, as opposed to the wooden puppet he played out in his first couple of appearances. That being said, while I never knew what was going down in the episode, McKeen seems a more likely bad guy to single out, because Ecklie, to be honest, is someone who I could never see as corrupt or otherwise. Clearly, all he has is his job, and he seems to live for that and that only, in every appearance. I don't think he could ever risk that.

*Chuckles.* Well, that's another series finale that Ecklie has survived. In case anyone hadn't noticed outside of the small collection of Ecklie fans, early on before the episodes hit, he was suspected as the man inside the coffin in Grave Danger and as the MCSK last season. Other than that, and yes, I have a lot to contribute for having not seen the episode... Given that Warrick is dead, wouldn't this be our first CSI death since Holly Gribbs? I know we've lost a detective or two, but this would indeed be the first little team death since the beginning of the show. Which, brings me to my final conclusion. I'll miss Warrick, a lot. I mean, I was kind of disappointed to see him hitting the hard life again, after all the fuss over him in the show's first season, the gambling and so such. Especially after his comments to Greg that one time, about keeping his car clean and organised for a scene. But, it figures he was stressed after having that whole divorce business and all. As a dedicated YoBling shipper, albeit that coming secondary to being a GSR shipper, this does upset me. While there really was no hope of YoBling happening, considering the recent events especially, I would have always liked to think Catherine had a close friend in Warrick... So, while I won't cry now, I probably will when the episode airs my end, because then it'll be real. *Sniff.*

I guess... Now I can start shipping CatScratch for real. Which I won’t, in earnest, because, well, Ecklie/Catherine is nice for a couple of fics, but I don’t see the impossible happening anytime soon. Lol. :p

I hope I made some good points, and didn’t just ramble endlessly. But really, I’m really sad Warrick is gone, but I’m also just really happy Ecklie survived and wasn’t labelled the bad guy. I hope that having someone that close to him in the office politics and rank kind of sense, will have us see more of Marc Vann next season. Hopefully he won't get into too much trouble over helping Grissom out. Perhaps the show can humanise him a bit if the team works closely with him, and then manage to not kill him, or make him a murderer, again, this time next year. I’d honestly like to keep writing as him, because, although rare a breed I am, I think he’s a wonderful character. I can breathe easily now, for the time being, at least.

4. Meadowhawk

Meadowhawk Victim

I'm not convinced he's dead. There's certainly a (strong) possibility, but I don't think gunshot wounds to the neck are necessarily fatal-- probably not much more likely to be than one to the leg. I think they're more likely to be debilitating. I'm not a doctor, and CSI is obviously not a documentary, but I think that the risk of being shot in a neck would be in nerve damage, bleeding out and airway damage. The nerve damage would probably not be fatal in and of itself. The other two would depend on the extent of the damage and how quickly help got there.

If Nick is still in that diner, hears the gunshots and comes running out, we might get to see him save his friend's life in the fall. I think it would add a nice element if Warrick did survive, but was disabled. That would let some of the great chemistry between Catherine and Warrick, and Nick and Warrick still exist off-screen, and an opportunity for an occasional guest appearance.

Speaking of Nick-- have we ever seen him flirt on screen that something bad didn't end up happening? The last time I recall him picking up a woman, Catherine got roofied. The time before that I remember as Kristy Hopkins.

Also, a question. I knew about ten minutes in that the Undersheriff was dirty. Was that groundwork laid earlier in the season? Everyone else I talked to seemed to be surprised, but I don't usually try to call the bad guy unless I know who it is. It would surprise me if I took a wild stab and got it right. Did we have hints of this in previous eps?

5. jessid

jessid Civilian

Man I still can not believe they killed off Warrick!!!!! I thought at the end when they were all having dinner that something was going to happen but i guess it was wishful thinking that they wouldnt do that to him. I was hoping they would have him go off on his own not have him be killed. Also to have McKean be the one to shot him was a shocker!!! Next season should be really intense with all this going on but im not looking forward to having new people come on.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I will say this: I am absolutely convinced Warrick is dead. The first shot hit him in the neck, yes, but we saw that the second shot did hit him as well--his body jolted the second time McKeen shot him. The two shots together were probably fatal.

But even putting aside that this is Gary Dourdan's last episode, Warrick can't survive this after Nick, Brass and Sara survived the respective life-threatening situations they were each put in. If he survives, it undermines the shock of that scene, and also the risk the show took in going there.

I'm incredibly sad that they chose to kill Warrick off, but at the same time, I think it was an absolutely daring thing to do, with a huge emotional impact. And it drives the story into next season, which is another good thing about the ending.

7. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I havent seen the episode yet but from what i've read im glad that it looks like Warrick died. I agree with Top, if another character had survived then it would have given people the impression that anyone can survive.....I mean you cant have a cliffhanger again, can you?!?

I didnt think he'd die personally but i'll have to wait untill I see the episode this week so I can make a proper judgement on the scene :D

8. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Absolutely perfect review.

I think you touched upon every emotion, character interaction and relation. Beyond perfect.

It's also a testament when I say I felt a tear spring to my eye reading what you had to say, just as I did when watching the show.

The episode was heartbreaking. All the what-ifs vanished and were replaced with lost chances. I'm sad he's gone. The show won't be the same without him.

Thank you for this, K.

9. byline

byline CSI Level One

Great review. You captured my reactions perfectly!

10. NattyWoohoo

NattyWoohoo Civilian

Regarding the theory he'll survive: I doubt that will happen for the following reasons:
    1.) Dourdan is leaving the show, and it'd be the worst pick-up episode for them to say, "Oh, he's recovering in California and will be retiring forever..." That's a cop-out.
    2.) Undersheriff McKeen would NOT do a sloppy job. He'd be stupid to leave any chance of Warrick surviving.
    3.) Shot twice, once in the neck. You could already see the life leaving his eyes.

So the question I pose for everyone is this: What would be a better season opener?
    1.) Pick up right where this one left off to see everyone's immediate reactions.
    2.) Pick up a little bit later to see the crew's long-term reactions.

If it's #1, it could be awesome to see them scurry to solve this case. And of course, they will have to solve this case eventually...right? I think it would break their hearts to put this on the fish board (the ones that got away). However, do you think this option would be too painful to witness?

If it's #2, the emotions would be a little less raw and we might see a more productive night shift. Plus, with his shooting being such a hot case, would the writers make it so that the first few episodes of the new season are set mainly around Warrick's murder? McKeen, I have the feeling, will get away with this for awhile, so I don't think they would make season nine "the Dead Warrick show" and be all about his death (especially if Dourdan did piss off the writers in any way). Maybe he'll be the underlying story that keeps going....

I think it HAS to be #1. Could you imagine any of them trying to solve a new case on the season opener when such a tragic thing has occurred? I would feel ripped off if they denied us some of that raw emotion. I would want to see the lab's reaction to losing Warrick. Plus, it'd be such a hot case. I imagine they'd be working on it for awhile. Like I said, I think season nine's underlying puzzle (a la the Miniature Killer) will feature nailing whoever did this, and with it being McKeen, I doubt it will be an easy one.

Then again, would they make season nine all about Warrick? Geez, I hate to ramble, but I just don't know! What do you all think?

11. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

If he dies, number two would be the best, for me. Maybe flashbacks, stuff like that to touch upon what happened. Maybe a week later, going through his locker or something.

If he's gonna live for a while (either recovering or comma etc.) number one would be more appropriate. And nicer, getting the love and respect coming though.

Nice question :) Which do you all think we'll see?

12. Saskatoonian

Saskatoonian Civilian

I didn't see any blood coming out of that neck wound. Garry Dourdan has been charged with cocaine and heroin posession. I think we'll see what happens there before we find if Nick miracuously finds him in time to save him.