FAN VIDEO CHALLENGE #2--"Head CSI"

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by Faylinn, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

This will be the thread where you can find the rules, the master list of challenges, links, the current themes, and voting. The thread originally opened to discuss fan video challenges will become the place to have general chit-chat about fan videos--please see this post in that thread for more information. The opening post of that thread has been edited to reflect this change.

The title of the thread will be edited to show the theme of the current challenge. This post will be edited to add links when challenges are started/finished. We will also edit this post to reflect any changes in rules, etc.

Fan Video Challenge Master List:
    Current Challenge: "Head CSI" (link)--deadline April 27, 2008 (Midnight GMT)

Past Challenges:

Challenge #1: "This is CSI" (Winner: nattybatty55)
    [ opening post | list of entries | results ]​
    Important Links:
    YouTube account
    Secondary discussion thread
    Have a video you want to link that missed the deadline or doesn't go with the current challenge? Link to it here!​
    Challenge Rules:

The following rules will apply to each fan video challenge. If the rules are altered, we will make a post to let you know. You will be responsible for keeping track of the rules.
    1. Your video must relate to the theme of the week in some way.
    2. You may not discuss where you get video clips or songs on the board. What you discuss in private messages is none of our business, but please don't talk about it in the thread itself.
    3. You may use pictures, videos or any combination of the two.
    4. Your video may only contain pictures and videos from one or more of the CSI shows--don't toss in clips from other shows/movies/etc.
    5. You may not use clips or pictures from episodes that have not aired in North America.
    6. Your video can be about a single show from the franchise, two shows, or all three--it's up to you.
    7. You may use text and other effects if you wish, but don't get carried away. However, do not sign your name to the video--if you wish to do so when you post the video on your own account, that's fine.
    8. Use good judgment when choosing songs--inappropriate content or lyrics could get you disqualified and your video deleted from the YouTube account. Don't pick a song that is offensive, derogatory or vulgar.
    9. Your video should be a maximum of 5 minutes long. We aren't going to delete it if you have one that is 5:20, for example, but try to keep it at 5 minutes or less--we don't want to see 10-minute videos.
    10. You may not post the video on your own YouTube account until the challenge is over--remember that the point of using allmaple's YouTube account is to keep things anonymous.
    11. You must use the template provided below when submitting your video for the challenge.
    12. You may not make ship-centric videos or choose ship-centric themes if you win a challenge. We've decided not to allow ship-centric videos, so we need to stick to that. If you make a ship-centric video, you can link to it in the thread located in Shipper Central. However, it will not be eligible for this challenge.
    13. You may only submit one video per challenge.
    How to Participate:
    1. Make sure you have read and understand the rules listed above.
    2. Read the information for the current challenge.
    3. Create a video (of 5 minutes or less) that fits the theme of the current challenge.
    4. Send a private message to allmaple, who will send you the current password for the YouTube account. (DO NOT GIVE THIS PASSWORD TO ANYONE OR MESS WITH ANYTHING WHILE IN THE ACCOUNT.) She will also give you an entry number.
    5. Upload your video to the YouTube account using the template provided below for the video title and description. (Add whatever tags you feel are appropriate--for now, there are no rules about YouTube tags.)
    6. Do not identify your own video--remember, the point of this account is to keep things anonymous.
    7. Be sure to give feedback to other participants.
    8. When voting starts, don't ask your friends to come vote for you--again, the challenges are anonymous.
    9. After voting has completed, if you are the winner of the challenge, you will choose the next theme and post about it. (Please see the first theme post for a general template of how to do this.)
    YouTube Template:

For the video's title, please use "TalkCSI Fan Video Challenge". As stated above, add whatever tags you feel are appropriate. Also, please allow comments--we'll have that as the default for now, and that should not change unless we run into some unforeseen problems in the future.

Please use the following template for the video description, substituting the appropriate words/numbers for the particular challenge and video--you will be responsible for knowing to use this template (Template updated 4/16/08):
    This video contains (pictures/clips/pictures and clips) from (CSI/CSI: Miami/CSI: New York--select all that apply). *Contains spoilers through ?.?? "??"* (Edit to be specific about the season/episode/title of the latest episode(s) for each show.)

TalkCSI Fan Video Challenge # ??
    Theme: "???"
    Entry # ??

*The maker of this video will remain anonymous until the challenge is over*

Check out the TalkCSI Fan Video Challenge here: http://talk.csifiles.com/showthread.php?t=56208

Song: "???" by ???
    Disclaimer: All pictures and video clips are copyright CBS. Songs used in this video belong to their respective owners. No money is being made from this video or the challenge it was created for.
    Please don't change the template. If we make alterations, it will be noted here and we'll let everyone know--for now, use exactly what you see above, only substituting the parts marked by question marks with the appropriate numbers and names. Also, make sure you accurately clarify whether your video contains clips and/or pictures and which show(s) they are from, as well as the possible spoilers within the video. An example of what your description should look like is below:
    This video contains pictures and clips from CSI, CSI: Miami and CSI: New York. *Contains spoilers through CSI 8.02 "A La Cart", CSI: Miami 6.12 "Miami Confidential" and CSI: New York 4.05 "Down the Rabbit Hole"*

TalkCSI Fan Video Challenge # 52
    Theme: "Human Nature"
    Entry # 04

*The maker of this video will remain anonymous until the challenge is over*

Check out the TalkCSI Fan Video Challenge here: http://talk.csifiles.com/showthread.php?t=56208

Song: "Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer
    Disclaimer: All pictures and video clips are copyright CBS. Songs used in this video belong to their respective owners. No money is being made from this video or the challenge it was created for.
    We can edit the description after the challenge is over to link to your own YouTube profile or identify you as the video's maker--videos will not be deleted from the YouTube account after the challenge is over, so you can link to the video from elsewhere if you don't have your own YouTube account, etc.

Voting Rules:
    1. Once a video is posted on YouTube, you can begin to provide feedback and constructive criticism about the video--however, you cannot vote until all videos have been submitted.
    2. It's probably common sense, but don't vote for yourself or toot your own horn.
    3. When voting for a video, consider the following: How well did the video capture the theme of the challenge? Did the creator use a lot of creativity? Can you name at least one thing you would tell the video maker so that he/she could improve in the future?
    4. When voting for a video, do not base your choice on which show you prefer, which characters you prefer, which characters you despise, etc.
    5. After the deadline has passed for the current challenge, either myself or allmaple will make a post with a link to each of the entries for that round. Only votes made after that post will be counted.
    6. The number of videos you may vote for will depend on the number of entries submitted. You will probably be asked to choose 2 or 3 videos that you like the best.
    7. When you post your votes, use the following general guidelines (although you don't have to use the headings or anything):

Video: # ??
      Why I'm voting for this video: I like the use of clips to go with the song, this is a good video to capture the spirit of the theme, etc-etc-etc.
      How can the video maker improve?: The video would be even better if the clips changed with the beat of the song, etc-etc-etc.

The above guidelines will help ensure that you're not just voting for your favorite show or characters, and the note about improving will make sure that the video maker is getting some good feedback for their efforts. Even those who don't win will still gain something from participating. :)
    8. Once you have submitted your votes in the thread, you won't be able to change who you voted for.
    9. Don't vote for a video simply because someone else voted for it--remember, you need to be able to give reasons why you voted for that video.
    10. When allmaple or myself counts up the votes and announces the winner, don't get offended if one of your favorites didn't make it. Also, don't get offended if someone doesn't vote for you--none of us want to hurt anybody's feelings. :)
    That was a long post, I know--any discussion of additions/alterations to the rules can take place in the Fan Video Discussion thread, but any changes will be noted in this thread when and if they are made. I will now post the details of the first challenge. Please read that post in its entirety. :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. Faylinn

Re: FAN VIDEO CHALLENGE--"This Is CSI"

Challenge #1:

Theme: "This is CSI"
    Description: What is CSI? Pretend that someone who doesn't watch the franchise has asked you to explain the show to him/her. In five minutes or less, tell them what CSI is to you. You can be funny or serious--creativity is encouraged.
    Restrictions: None. Use any song you like, any clips or pictures that strike your fancy. The only restrictions are those imposed by the overall rules. *gestures to the opening post*
    Deadline: All entries must be submitted by April 6, 2008 (midnight GMT)--this gives you all day Saturday to submit something for the first challenge. :)

PM allmaple for the password to upload your video. (You must have PM privileges to participate--we don't need someone joining the board just to use this challenge as a way to cause trouble by deleting things in the YouTube account, etc.)

Questions or comments that are not relevant to this specific challenge can be posted in the Fan Video Discussion thread.

The rest of this post is not something you need to post when you start a challenge--you just need to specify the things posted above the *****.

Since this is the first challenge, let me point out a few things. The categories above are the ones that you need to include if you are posting the theme for that challenge. Don't get too restrictive or make things too difficult. Also, remember that you cannot choose a ship-related theme. Friendship, sure. Family, go ahead. Romantic entanglements--nuh-uh.

If you want to figure out when the challenge is over in your own time zone, you can use this page to see--change the second location to your own country/state and it will let you know.

If you have questions about the theme itself (for example, if someone picks a humorous theme, you might want to ask "Does the song have to be funny, or just the clips?"), you can ask them in this thread. You can also post feedback about videos as they are posted on the YouTube account. Don't link to your own video as soon as you post it--that would be obvious. Maybe allmaple or myself can post a link whenever we see a new one, thus bringing it to everyone's attention. (If we don't post your video immediately, don't worry--it will be linked in the voting post if not before, so everybody will be able to find it before casting their votes.)

Questions or comments that aren't about the challenge itself (for example, if you want to ask someone to PM you about how to do a certain sort of effect in a certain program, suggest a change you think should be made to the rules, or anything else that is about fan videos or the fan video challenge in general rather than specific to the challenge at hand) should go in the Fan Video Discussion thread. Don't freak out, though--this is new for everyone, so if you're asked to take the question to the other thread, it's no big deal. :)

When you are ready to upload your video, PM allmaple--she will give you the current password and an entry number. You are responsible for using the template provided in the opening post. DO NOT MONKEY AROUND WHILE ON THE YOUTUBE ACCOUNT. If someone messes around, it will ruin things for everyone.

That's all I can think of for now. Since this is the first challenge, we're definitely going to have some kinks to work out. Let us know if you have questions or comments about this theme.

3. magicmunchies

magicmunchies Lab Technician

Okay Fay! This sounds fun! When it said "This is CSI" I thought of 300 "THIS IS SPARTA..." but thats just me :D

Sounds great! I better go and make a video :)

4. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Whe you right about what episode spoilers you put in do you just write the most writtain for example....If you have used episodes 1,2,4,9 and 12.Do you just write the title of the latest episode?

5. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i would say 'spoilers up to episode x'. since the general rule on the board is anything that has shown in north america is no longer a spoiler, we just wanted to be considerate of people from other countries who may not have seen a particular episode yet.

6. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

ok Thanks ;)

7. Faylinn

Yeah, that's what I meant--make a note of the latest episode included. It would be too much hassle to say "Clips from X episode, X episode, X episode and X episode". ;)

8. Faylinn

You still have a little less than 24 hours to PM allmaple for the YouTube information so you can upload your video for the first challenge. So far, we don't have any entries.

9. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I've just got to finish mine....It'll be a shame if we dont get a few entries!

10. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i know there were more people who expressed interest in this challenge in the other thread. i only have one person who contacted me with a finished video. if anyone needs more time we can try extending the deadline to get more entries and getting more interest. we cant have a contest with just one video...

11. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ok mines done :D I'm PMing now....

12. allmaple

allmaple Judge

anyone else? we can go ahead with the two videos i guess, but if anyone knows someone else who might be interested in participating please let them know. wed like to continue this competition but obviously we need the interest in it.

13. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I've sent you a PM, allmaple. :)

14. Faylinn

Awesome, there are two videos on the YouTube account right now that you guys can take a look at.

Entry #01
    Entry #02

I can't watch them tonight since I have to head to bed (going to a Civil War reenactment tomorrow ;)).

So, are we thinking an extension would be a good idea? As of right now, I'll plan to start voting sometime tomorrow night my time, but if there's interest to add some more time, that's cool too. :)

This is not the voting post--I just wanted to show the two videos we've got so far for you guys to check out.

15. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

An extension would be cool. I've been busy this week so I only had until this evening to do the video. Heh. Won't take too long. :p Although it'll be kind of obvious whose videos belong to whom but whatever. :lol:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008