Sid Hammerback - The coroner with the coolest glasses.

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Daquien, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

:lol: Yeah, who would see Sid as obsessed? Nah... :lol: This scene is so cute. The best really are Sid's honest answers. He's also one who speaks out what he's thinking. Fantastic also was when he and Peyton flipped a coin and he was so sad when he couldn't do the autopsy of this mummy that had been found in the building in People With Money.

2. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

I absolutely adore Sid, he's beyond awesome! :adore: One of my all time favourite Sid moments was the one where he was talking to Hawkes (I think?) about having had a threesome, oh that made me laugh so much, I just love all the quirky little things he comes out with. However, I also love the fact that he can be totally serious and always gives out great advice to the team when they're facing hard times, he's just altogether awesome IMHO. :D

3. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

:lol: The threesome! Yes, I love this scene as well, and how he tried to tell Hawkes that it's not always cool and that it can be really exhausting at times when he has to tell two women that he's not in the mood. :lol: Sid really rocks. I also think it was Hawkes, because Hawkes was working the threesome case as well and if I'm not wrong, I think the scene was in Stealing Home. But like you said, he's not just funny, he can also be really caring and gives advice. He's a great mix of both, which is why he is such a unique guy.

4. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Yeah, it was Hawkes. But he was not really interesting in hearing more of Sid's story there. :lol:

I got a reminder earlier, as I had completely forgotten about Pino and that Sid asked Mac if he had any plans for Thanksgiving. If not, he was welcome to Sid's place. I found it surprising as I always thought that Sid was quite alone. I just thought he had his job, when he is not working then he don't really have anyone to talk to. Even if he goes out. As he likes listening to music when he hears it being played/sung by anyone in the subway. Not on the trains, but where it always is crowded. That's pretty all we know, so far.

I mean, I know that he has a good relationship to everyone at work, but I never thought he spent time with anyone of them after work.

So I am just curious, do you think it's easy to get a misleading opinion when it comes to Sid? I mean, I got it all wrong and used to base my opinions on the little information I had.

5. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

I think the problem is we don't know that much about Sid. I wish we did though as to me he seems to be a very interesting character indeed. I really love that he listened to the singer. And that he invited Mac for Thanksgiving shows how much he cares. Another scene that always makes me smile is how Sid smiles at Lindsay when she's telling him about this leather thing she learnt from her father in Montana.

:lol: Yeah, Hawkes wasn't all too pleased by Sid's story I guess. I just try to remember what other stories he told...

Back to your question: I really wonder how close Sid is to the others. There always pop up moments like when he invited Mac or when we heard how close he and Pino really were that make me wonder.

6. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

The thing with Sid is he's one of those characters that we only get small nuggets of information about, here and there (and this stands for quite a few characters on the show).

Like off the top of my head, I know he has at least one daughter (because he mentioned her in "Not What it Looks Like"), is married, used to take meringue lessons (which suggests that he likes dance along with music :lol:). For some reason I keep thinking that he's been divorced at least once, because I think I heard him mention that in an episode -- but I can't remember which episode, so I don't know for sure if he is.

The great thing about him is, looking at the way he is with the team, with Mac (you don't invite just anyone over for Thanksgiving, I think, and it makes me wonder if there's more history there), the way he was with Peyton and his relationship with Pino...he seems to get really invested with his coworkers. It's not something you'd expect from someone so, well, eccentric :lol:, so I love the contradiction. He's more of a people person, rather than being the stereotypical creepy and isolated ME. Lately they've been going the route of him being more invested in his cases/victims' families, rather than his coworkers -- it's nice, but I can't help wishing they'd go back to the coworker thing, because it felt more original.

7. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

I agree with you, Sid being close to the team is just him, so I would also love to see that again.

I also believe that he is divorced because he once said he was drunk and fell down the stairs while celebrating after being divorced. It had something to do with a case again when he said that, but unfortunately I forgot which episode that was.

I think Sid really gets along with all the team members, then again who couldn't love the man with the cool glasses? :lol:

8. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

I'm with you guys, Sid is beyond awesome, he needs more scenes where he's giving people advice, and just generally being there for people, he does it so well, he's like the rock of the rest of the team. :adore: He has great relationships with everyone, but like you said Brina, how could you not get along with him!?

Yeah, I also remember Sid speaking of an ex wife and of divorce, but like you guys I really can't remember which ep(s) he talked about it in... Hmm... I'll have to keep an ear out...

9. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Describing him as the rock of the team really sums it up. Sid is always there, he's calm, yet he knows how to make them smile and entertain them with his awesome stories. :lol: And what I love is how he admits that even after all the years, he is still getting affected by his work and that it still can be tough. Or when he saw this girl in NWILL and had to think of his daughter. It makes him human.

10. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

That was the line! (The one about him falling down the stairs in celebration of his divorce :lol:) Ninety percent sure it was in "Hung Out to Dry". LOL, and the celebrating makes me very curious to know what his first marriage was like. That's the thing about characters that you only get tiny nuggets of information about -- on the one hand, they definitely flesh out the character, on the other hand it just makes me want to know more.

11. Cyn-B-Demented

Cyn-B-Demented Police Officer

And it's so frustrating too! So much time can pass until you get another nugget of information!!! It's almost a tease. No. Wait. IT IS a tease! :lol: I just wished these small pieces of information would be more regular on the show. I don't think there's any reason why it shouldn't be that way? Now, I understand it gotta fit the whole story and blabla, but c'mon. This is Sid we're talking about. He never really cared if he was in context or totally Off-Topic :guffaw:

12. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Yeah, I really like how Sid can go off topic and starts talking about something absolutely random :lol: It would be sad and such a shame if they took it away from him, as it would make Sid someone else. Someone that I am not sure if I would like. And it's kinda weird. All other characters have gotten an episode where they have got a lot of focus, like when Stella went to Greece, Mac and the robbery at the bank/murder/hostage, Adam and Second Life, Hawkes and his economical problems, Danny and Tanglewood/Rikki/the relationship with Lindsay and so on. But we have never seen anything similar happen to Sid - yet.

13. Cyn-B-Demented

Cyn-B-Demented Police Officer

It's bad enough that we haven't had any weird comments from Sid this season, unless some people think what he said in Sanguine Love to be his typical remarks. To me, it was just an appetizer, hahaha! :lol: So, if they take that away from him too on top of having a copy-cat of Sid on Miami... I'll start voodoo or something!:guffaw:

And it is so true that most of the characters had their own character-centred episode(s) but Sid! Even Flack with the Angell story line. But I wonder if Flag Of The Play is to be considered as a "Sid episode"?! He was there most of the time but there wasn't any story line for him and not much character development going on for him either so I personally don't think we got a Sid episode yet like you said! We need it! :D We'll give Carmine the task to write that episode, hahaha!

14. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I know, right? :lol: Most of the best information we have on Sid comes from the first few seasons, when he was going off on tangents that had nothing to do with the case! Where has that gone?

And I agree, we need a episode-story that's centred on Sid. Point of No Return kind of counted (still one of the best episodes ever, and certainly my favourite Sid-ish episode :D), but not really because Sid's involvement was minimal. It needs to be more like what happened in Flag on the Play, except more...Sid-like, I guess. I liked Flag on the Play, because it was touching to know how involved Sid got in this one case; but what bothered me about the way it was done was that we never got much of an explanation as to why this one case affected Sid so much. I felt like it was a storyline that could've been given to any one of the five ME's in the CSI franchise (Alexx, Tara, Doc Robbins, Tom or Sid) and very little would've changed.Whereas something like sitting down to listen to performers in the subway...seems quirky in a way that only Sid could be, and the other ones can't.

15. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

I agree about what you guys say about Sid getting his own storyline. So far every character in the show got their storylines or centric episodes, etc. Sid is a main character as well, so I think it's his turn. He was a big part of some episodes, like when everyone was worried about him in Page Turner and of course his affection in Point Of No Return. But after so many seasons I think he should get a bit more, which would then give us a chance to learn more about him. Possibly something that is not directed to another character or so, like it was in Point Of No Return. That would be awesome.