The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by sandersidle, Jun 26, 2009.

1. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Memories from childhood slowly disappearing. :( I loved these books.

Berenstain Bears co-creator, Jan Berenstain Dies

Susan

2. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

That is very sad news :(

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Sad about Davy Jones. He was always my favorite Monkee.

5. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed away

Hello,

I didn't know if this is the right place to post this, but this afternoon, I heard Davy Jones of "The Monkees" has passed away at the young age of 66!:(

Gee, he was and still is a Pop Icon, and many people like the song "Daydream Beliver" and their TV Show in the 60's. I was just 3 or 4 years old when that TV Show was on and at it's peak.

May God be with Davy Jones. He was a great guy, and I remember all the teenage girls of the day wanted to marry him.

Peace to all CSI Fans, Rest in Peace Davy Jones.

6. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

7. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Re: Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed away

I'm going to move this over to Gen TV so Shazza_018 or SunsetBoulevard can merge it into the Rest In Peace & Remembrance thread. :)

Susan

8. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

Re: Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed away

Hello blackflag,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I figured one of the leaders of this nice community board would take care of it for me.

It is so sad that we have now seen Whitney Houston, a year older than me, die, now Davy Jones, both Pop Icons in Rock-n-Roll Music.:(

God Bless you, Peace to all CSI Fans!

Jimi

9. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I learned about Davy Jones from watching Brady reruns. Then I watched The Monkees show some. It was on reruns really early in the morning when I was a kid. Being an 80's kid he was still much loved when I was growing up. R.I.P Davy... thanks for the memories.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  10. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I will honestly admit that Micky Dolenz is my favorite Monkee. :( I'm still stunned and sad hearing about Davy passing. Davy and Mike were always alternating in 2nd. One week Davy was my 2nd favorite Monkee and the next week Mike would be my 2nd favorite Monkee. R.I.P. Davy. Say hi to Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Karen Carpenter and all the other singers and musicians who died too soon
    :beer: To Davy Jones. All of us Monkees fans will miss you.

11. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Thanks Blackflag, merged the threads together :).

12. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

Was shocked and sad to hear about Davy Jone's death, I have been a Monkees fan my whole life (I was 5 yrs old when the Monkees arrived on TV), used to have a huge crush on him. I was lucky enough to meet Davy when he gave a sole performance (along with Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits) in Des Moines Iowa about 10 yrs ago!

RIP Davy

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  13. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

I have been listening to Davy Jones and the Monkees all week-end. I wished he would have been a "Guest Star" on CSI Vegas, CSI Miami or CSI NY.

My wish is that I hope the cast of CSI Miami will remember Davy Jones. Yes, I know some of the cast were not around when the Monkees had their TV Show, but their music and concerts went on up until last year, 2011, and there are many teens and young adults that love him, and they were born way after the Monkees TV Show was gone.:(

14. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Robert B. Sherman, co-composer of 'It's a Small World', 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious', other Disney movie songs

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...-small-world/2012/03/06/gIQAik3txR_story.html

By Emily Langer, Published: March 7
    Robert B. Sherman, half of the prolific Disney songwriting duo that composed the music for “Mary Poppins” and authored “It’s a Small World (After All),” which has been described as the most-played, most-translated and most-hair-pullingly-catchy tune on Earth, died March 5 in London. He was 86.

His death, of undisclosed causes, was confirmed by a representative from Walt Disney Co.

Despite a distant and at times hostile personal relationship, Mr. Sherman and his younger brother, Richard, wrote 150 songs that were featured in 27 Disney movies.

They shared two Academy Awards for their work on “Mary Poppins,” the story of a magical babysitter who enlivens a starchy British family — and forever changed the English lexicon by inventing the word “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” for that 1964 film.

During their five-decade career, the Sherman brothers drew much of their inspiration from their father, Al Sherman, a Tin Pan Alley songsmith who had an innate sense of the qualities that make a tune stick in listeners’ memories and resonate in their hearts.

Robert and Richard became two of Disney’s chief purveyors of good cheer, having been handpicked by the studio’s namesake for several of the company’s biggest movies of the 1960s.

Their credits from Disney included the bouncy “Let’s Get Together” from “The Parent Trap” (1961); the jazzy “I Wanna Be Like You,” sung by the primate “king of the swingers” in “The Jungle Book” (1967); and the title song, performed by Maurice Chevalier, in “The Aristocats” (1970).

For other studios, the Sherman brothers wrote the music for films including “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” the zany 1968 movie adapted from Ian Fleming’s children’s story, and “Charlotte’s Web,” the 1973 animated film based on E.B. White’s book.

Their most enduring success — the film version of P.L. Travers’s novel “Mary Poppins” — began somewhat inauspiciously. Disney called the Shermans into his office and asked a question that, in an era before many American families employed babysitters, was not unreasonable: “Do you boys know what a nanny is?”

“Yeah,” Richard replied, according to an account in the New Yorker. “It’s a goat.”

In the original movie, the nanny was played by Julie Andrews; Dick Van Dyke was her chimney-sweep sidekick who sang the Cockney-infused “Chim Chim Cher-ee,” for which the Sherman brothers won the Oscar for best song. They also won the award for best overall film score.

Nearly all the numbers on the soundtrack became hits. The title of “A Spoonful of Sugar,” Mary’s song about the virtues of a good attitude and work ethic, was inspired by Mr. Sherman’s young son, who remarked that a lump of sugar made the polio vaccination more palatable.

“Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” was the result of practiced ingenuity. As boys, the Sherman brothers played a word-invention game at summer camp.

“We wanted something super colossal, and so then, well, supercalifragilistic,” Richard Sherman once told the Sacramento Bee. “Then we wanted an obnoxious word, and atrocious is obnoxious. And, also, you want to sound smart, so you’re precocious, and precocious rhymes with atrocious and that’s, of course, a good rhyme. Then we had three-fourths of the song.”

Robert Bernard Sherman was born Dec. 19, 1925, in New York and grew up in Beverly Hills. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II and was among the first American servicemen to enter the Dachau concentration camp. He also had been shot in his kneecap, a wound that left him unable to walk without a cane.

His traumatic experiences exacerbated an already somber disposition. He often fought with his brother, who was regarded as the sunnier of the two. In later years, they were known to throw typewriters at each other and sit noticeably far apart during premieres of their own films.

Robert Sherman graduated in 1949 from Bard College in upstate New York. He aspired to write novels, whereas his brother wanted to compose symphonies. Their father attempted to unite them by daring them to write a pop song together. The result was “Gold Can Buy Anything (But Love),” recorded by the singing cowboy Gene Autry in 1951.

Their other successes of the 1950s included “Tall Paul”(which was written with Bob Roberts and performed by Annette Funicello) and “You’re Sixteen.” (recorded in 1974 by Ringo Starr).

Perhaps their most famous song — the tune “It’s a Small World” — was written for an attraction at the 1964 World’s Fair. It was a “plea for international peace and friendship,” film music historian Jon Burlingame said in an interview.

Today the song is endlessly piped in over speakers at Disney amusement parks. Mr. Sherman admitted that he and his brother had “driven teenagers crazy in every language.”

In 2008, President George W. Bush honored the brothers with the National Medal of Arts for music that has “helped bring joy to millions.” By that time, Robert Sherman had settled in London.

His wife of 48 years, the former Joyce Sasner, died in 2001. Besides his four children, survivors include his brother, Richard, whose doorbell in Beverly Hills sings “It’s a Small World.”

15. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Jimmy Ellis, 74, R&B/Disco singer (The Trammps)

(AP/AllMusic.com) — James T. “Jimmy” Ellis, who belted out the refrain “Burn, baby burn!” in a 1970s-era disco hit that’s still replayed in modern sports arenas, has died. He was 74.

David Turner of Bass-Cauthen Funeral Home in Rock Hill, S.C., said the frontman for The Trammps died Thursday (March 8 ) at a nursing home in the city. A cause of death was not immediately known.

A founding member of disco's most soulful vocal group, Ellis joined original lead vocalist Gene Faith, Earl Young, guitarist Dennis Harris, keyboardist Ron Kersey, organist John Hart, bassist Stanley Wade, and drummer Michael Thomas in the original incarnation of the group that began in the '60s as the Volcanos, and later was known as the Moods. By the time they'd gone through various identities and emerged as the Trammps in the mid-'70s, the lineup featured lead vocalist Ellis, Norman Harris, and Stanley Wade, Robert Upchurch and Young.

A snappy revival of Judy Garland's '40s tune "Zing Went the Strings of My Heart" was their first chart single, reaching number 17 on the R&B list in 1972. Despite their well-deserved reputation and boisterous, jubilant harmonies and sound, the Trammps were never a huge commercial success even during disco's heyday. Indeed, they had only three R&B Top Ten hits from 1972 through 1978, and such wonderful records as "Soul Bones," "Ninety-Nine and a Half," and "I Feel Like I've Been Livin' (On the Dark Side of the Moon)" stiffed on the charts though they were beloved by club audiences and R&B fans alike.

Their only huge hit was "Disco Inferno" — the song with the popular refrain. Originally released in 1976, the song was featured in the iconic movie “Saturday Night Fever,” reaching number nine on the Billboard R&B chart in 1977. Yet it missed the Billboard Pop Top Ten, peaking at number 11 in May, 1978. The “Saturday Night Fever” soundtrack won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1978.

But the Trammps' prowess can't be measured by chart popularity; Ellis' booming, joyous vocals brilliantly championed the celebratory fervor and atmosphere that made disco both loved and hated among music fans.