"Family Affair" Tenth Season Premiere Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I have to say that I really enjoyed the season premiere. The opening scene with the stopmotion was awesome, and I loved seeing Catherine in charge. I didn't like making her the scapegoat, and I thought Greg's behaviour at the scene was odd. When he was reprimanding Officer Akers however, THAT was Greg ;)

I'm glad they returned Sara to her Season 1 character, because that was really when she was most likeable. Her scenes with Nick were fantastic, further cementing my belief that if they had wanted a ship, there was one they could have gone with.

As always, Catherine was epic, and I especially liked what Sara told her in the lockerroom.

Looking forward to next week :D

2. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Wow! I figured they took quick shots of the actors in those poses and then looped them for the final version... but now knowing that they had to hold those poses for that long... that's just amazing.

4. m1304m

m1304m Dead on Arrival

found the reason given by Sara for returning to work at the Vegas Crime Lab was rather far-fetched. Twice, she and Grissom parted not because of quarrels but her refusal for not wanting to live in Vegas even with Grissom by her side. And moreover she could not do her work as a CSI anymore.

Suddenly, she could leave Grissom in Paris and travel all the way to another continent, to be and work in the city she loathes. Come on guys, give us a break! On the other hand if both Grissom and Sara were in Vegas because Grissom was guest lecturing at UNLV while waiting for their research grant to be funded (I can see them working as a husband and wife team)

I don’t think is a housewife but temporarily unemployed. So, why not work part time at the crime lab (2 incomes are still better than 1). Anyway, I don’t see Grissom encouraging her to the crime lab especially, twice she got emotionally involved in cases she was handling and he almost lost her.

I don’t understand why some fans find it unbelievable for Sara and Grissom to be married. First of all they have a long history together. In fact it was Grissom who himself admitted that in Season 8 episode 2 that he fell in love with Sara when they first met 9 years ago at a seminar in San Francisco. I suppose they are not the typical couple we see on television these days – all over each other.

Recently, I have been watching re-runs of NYPD Blue. I am truly amazed by David Caruso and Jimmy Smits character. They always seem to be in bed with someone at the end of every shift! I saw a couple of episodes of Grey Anatomy, I was aghast and I have not watched any since. The characters seem not to be separated by 6 degrees but a mere 0.01!

On the other hand I like CSI not only for its forensics but you don’t see the trash you see on most TV shows. I don’t think Sara is anti marriage, I remember her saying to Warrick that her boyfriend in college cheated on her and so later did Hank (the paramedic) that would put anyone off marriage but people change their priority as time passes. Grissom says that a relationship that does not move on withers, which was later echoed by Sara.

Moreover, I don’t see Sara who just got married to Grissom to leave him and come to Vegas just because she missed the team. She could always talk to them in a video message which she did in Season 9 with Grissom.

In Season 2 Prenum Non Cetera, while she and Grissom were interviewing the lady hockey player. The lady had said she was dating Tommy because he was husband material and at that Sara had looked away sadly. I don’t see them getting sick of each other. He is a looming figure in her life. They worked together for many years. After they started dating they seem to work more together. Even after work they spent their time together.

I strongly feel that Fans of GSR has every right in wanting to know when they got married, where and what they have been doing since. I am not a big fan of GSR but I like them as a couple. And I myself am curious to know the details - its human nature. It is uncalled for those who detest GSR to be sarcastic and disrespectful.

Sara always had a good relationship with Nick and Greg but she and Catherine tolerated each other for the sake of Grissom. Throughout the seasons they have made some remarks which clearly indicate that they were not the best of colleague. Suddenly, she returns to Vegas and there she is to give Catherine advice as if they were bosom buddies.

The producers are desperately trying everything to boost ratings, what they don’t realise if they stop putting Langston in centre stage and give the remaining cast more air time – more viewers will tune in.

"Science without religion is lame and religion without science is blind” – Albert Einstein

5. Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel Rookie

You make alot of good points, and thank you for defending the Sara/Grissom scenes :adore: I can't see why people have a problem with the writers explaining how they got to where they did, rather than just coming on and saying where they are. Their scenes are ony about 3 minutes out of an episode, and I don't really see the big deal.

I disagree withy you, however, on Sara's return being unbelievable. Yes she left because she couldn't stand living in LV and it was probably a little stretch for her to leave Grissom so far behind, but she's got friends at the lab. She worked there for a huge chunk of her life, and you can't just leave something like that behind and never touch it again. When Ecklie contacted her she knew it was only temporary, and that's probably why she took it, she wouldn't have accepted a full time job, with a move back to Vegas.

I think that she wanted to see everybody again. She even said that even though she was enjoying Paris, and her new life, she realized that she missed everybody.

As for the video messages, I can't see her doing one for the team...I mean when she sent that message to Grissom she was basically telling him that they had better move on. They weren't on the best of terms and that's probably why it wasn't face to face.
    Moreover, the team appears to already know about Grissom and Sara's marriage so they have kept in contact and most likely have seen each other, I think that Sara missed working with them and being a part of that team rather than missing the people individually.

It appears to me that she's at a better palce in life. She's been handling all the cases given to her with ease, she's not excessively angry anymore, she isn't holding personal grudges against criminals and I was actually really proud of her for taking Craig Mason under her wing, in 10x02 and looking out for him in the end, when his father came after Grissom and commited horrible crimes. She saw him for him and not his lineage and this sense of peace in her is something she lacked in her S/9 return, where she left in a sincerly melancholy way...again. :shifty:

I'm overall excited to see where her storyline takes us, and am not ashamed to say I'm looking forward to finding out more of where GSR stands :)

6. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

The one point I agree with is the "all of a sudden Cath and Sara were "bosom buddies" the scene with them to me was forced, and Cath seemed preoccupied and not really in tune with what Sara was saying, and had a painted smile on her face. I prefer her working with the team members who really are in tune with her, and to me it's not Cath~I can really see her coming back although to be with people she's been with like Coco stated were a big "chunk" of her life. And I assume Grissom will return in some capacity to reunite with her. They're certainly not your conventional couple and never have been. What kept this alive, was the strong love bond they had ALWAYS~

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  7. GregNickRyanFan

I don't think it was forced at all. I think it's a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder. What I mean is, if you're away from a person for a long time (even if you didn't always get along with them in the beginning), sometimes you can kind of grow a bit more respect for them so that when you do see them again, it can be like two best friends chatting about their life. :)

Cath's "painted smile" was because she was upset (and preoccupied as well) over the exit interview she's just read and Riley's critcism of her supervisory skills... and she was coming to terms with the fact and realizing the fact that maybe Riley was kind of right. Cath really hasn't had anyone else to talk to. I mean, she didn't know Riley that well and sometimes a woman just wants to talk to another woman who might possibly understand what she's going through (which rules out her mom and daughter lol). Wendy wouldn't really understand and I'm not sure she and Cath are that close nor are Cath and Mandy. Jacquie isn't there anymore. Who else was she supposed to talk to? If she didn't talk to anyone, this would have kept on eating away at her and might have affected her supervisory style in an even worse way, causing more team members to leave. So, it's a good thing that Sara was there. This scene was about Catherine coming terms with the fact that she needs to make some changes.

The scene worked well for me personally and is one of my Top 5 favorite Sara scenes of all time. :)

8. Kasey47

Kasey47 Police Officer

I don't at all think the scene was forced. I think as some may have stated already that Sara and Catherine may not be busom buddies but there is a mutual respect. Also part of being in a marriage is accepting those people that your spouse cares about regardless of your own personal feelings.

Catherine and Grissom have always had a relationship and a very close one at that. Sara would be wrong to disrespect Catherine now for the simple reason that she would be disrespecting Grissom. And Catherine would feel the same way towards Sara.

Did anyone else notice that Grissom started to be a bit more friendly to Greg as the years progressed? I always thought that it was not only because Greg is Greg but because Sara and Greg are so close....

9. Desertwind

To each one's own on seeing things differently. I never thought they were close, and I still stand by the scene, I realize Cath was not in touch like the guys were with Sara returning, she didn't even hug her. Sara is all healthy, happy, in love and married, and Cath is bitter disappointed and mad, so Sara was receptive to Cath but to me the feeling was not mutual~She did hug her in "For Warrick" when she returned, I remember them in "Crash & Burn" when Sara and Hank broke up or rather he was married, that was always off the wall:klingon: but when Cath asked out to go for a beer~ but still they're very different women but did like that scene. And in "Getting Off" the disgusting clown, they worked well together. Also "BTK" when Cath did her own crime kit, and asked Sara to keep it a secret. That was cool. I still thought Cath was more concerned about her exit interview that Riley gave her, rather than thrilled that Sara was back. I feel a burn out with Cath right now. She was hardly even in "Ghost Town" and seemed to be going through the motions. A vacation comes to mind~:confused:

10. Coco Chanel

Coco Chanel Rookie

hmm.. That is an interesting point of view, no denying it, but I must disagree. I think Catherine and Sara have been on better terms since they've had time apart. I think that their problem was they both wanted to take control, and they sort of fought each other to get on top :rolleyes:

Sara was extremely happy, and I think she was sincere in her efforts to help Catherine. I don't think that Catherine was bitter, disappointed and mad though. I think she was just under pressure (I wouldn't be too happy with that report from Riley either :scream:) nothing else would enter my mind, but by the end of the conversation she had clearly calmed down somewhat and pulls, in my opinion, a genuine smile.
    It's been said a thousand times that Marg and Jorja have been advocating to get their characters on better terms and maybe since Sara isn't in that many episodes anymore, the writers are slowly going to make them closer, like they've wanted for many seasons.

Cath's "forced" smile may be due to botox :lol:

11. GregNickRyanFan

There was originally a scene where Cath and Nick both welcomed Sara back and she was introduced to Ray, but that scene was cut out of the final version. So, just because we didn't see Cath hug Sara or welcome her back, it doesn't mean that she didn't or that it wasn't actually filmed. Remember the pics from this ep showed Nick hugging Sara and that was not in the actual episode when it aired. So, isn't it possible that there was a hug between Cath and Sara that was filmed, but also cut out of the final version like the Nick/Sara hug was?

The welcome back Sara scene (minus the one with Greg/Sara which they showed separately to reiterate how close Greg feels to her- she's the one he was always the closest to-whether that was returned or not- remember she's the one he told when he lost his virginity to. I doubt very seriously he would have been that candid with Cath and he definitely never would have told one of the guys that piece of info lol) was shown vaguely as Greg is walking down the hallway. In the distance, you kind of see Ray and Sara shaking hands, Cath and Nick are smiling at them. That was originally a longer scene, but was cut for time or whatever reason.

The scene with Sara and Cath in the locker room was a scene that was specifically written to be about Cath and her feelings of how Riley's exit interview affected her and her realizations that Riley was correct in a lot of what she said. That particular scene was not written to be about Sara's return. It was supposed to have the feeling of the "old times" and the audience was supposed to feel like Sara had been back for a while already. At least that's the way I took the scene and I personally loved it.

The way you described that made me think of my two dogs (mama and daughter). When the younger one got older, she started to fight her mama for domination... both trying to be the alpha female. :lol:

12. Desertwind

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2009
  13. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

OH GOD!!:eek: Take it down! take it down! TAKE IT DOWN!!! I had a freakin heart attack!!!:scream::eek::(:wtf::scream::lol:

14. byline

byline CSI Level One

(Edit: Moved my question to the "Ghost Town" episode thread.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  15. Mistlethrush

Mistlethrush Victim

I dunno--he's kinda cute, you know, for a spider. :thumbsup: