Spinoffs

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by MacsGirlMel, Oct 6, 2013.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Do you think they were right not to try anymore spinoffs? I don't think it would've worked, though it'll be sad that when LV goes, the franchise will end. Most shows that get spinoffs only get one or two as a rule (save a few like Mary Tyler Moore show and All In The Family.)

I still often wonder why Miami got so popular but NY didn't...I think CBS not promoting it well and putting it in bad time slots (first against Lost, then on Friday, which never goes well)was some of it but IDK if that was all. I have to also wonder if people got bored with the idea by show #3...that can happen.

I wish they could do the New Orleans spinoff with Stella as lead character but even if Melina was willing,it probably wouldn't do well given NY never equaling the others' ratimgs. That was why they shelved the ideas as it was...NY didn't make thrm optimistic. Although if they really thought of doing CSI London with Peyton, that might have flopped badly and I can't say I regret them shelving it...just never liked her much.

2. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I think three at the same time was probably the right decision instead of putting out more. CBS was (is) saturated enough with crime dramas and adding a fourth CSI to the mix would have been overkill. It didn't work when Law and Order tried Trial by Jury and LA, so I doubt CSI would have seen a marked improvement.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing another CSI come into the fold once the other two have been off the air for some time (maybe 5-7 years). That way the franchise can refresh itself and try different things with an audience and market that have changed significantly since the 2001-2002 era of television.

New Orleans would probably work, though with the number of shows that film/have been set in Louisiana recently it might lose itself unique points (The Originals, the failed Bones spinoff and K-Ville, True Blood, American Horror Story: Coven, Treme, the list goes on). Seems like everyone wants to get on that bandwagon.

I do think that they would need a totally different cast. I can't see them using other CSI franchise actors unless they can hold down the fort, so-to-speak. I have a feeling that if TPTB ever put out another CSI, they'd want it to be completely different.

It's been my observation that the first spinoff of a series usually goes more smoothly than subsequent iterations. There probably isn't that feeling of saturation and the fan base is generally still excited and large enough to tune into another version. Not to mention the franchise was relatively new when Miami started, and Miami had a much bigger and brighter feel, with a more diverse scope. Once New York hit the stage, there were 10 other shows set in New York and twice the amount of crime dramas on the air. Along with the switcheroo time slots and heavy demographic competition, it didn't get the momentum it needed to stay afloat. It could have been a different story, though on a lesser network like The CW (which uses older shows as a crutch while the new ones fail hilariously), on cable or Netflix.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I think both Miami and NY were equally popular, but its probably like Finch says--the first spinoff gets most of everything. CBS does seem to be overloading on spinoffs--they just approved NCIS: Red, so there goes another one...:lol:

I've been hoping for a CSI: Chicago for years now...got who I want to star in it, and I even know the perfect Who song for the theme music. It'll only be a figment in my own mind, though. :devil:

4. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

As Finch said,the first spinoff tends to be more successful then the rest.
    Plus,there are so many shows based in NYC already,hard to make it seem new.

5. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

The thing is that Miami goes out first and with this in mind New York was a little bit out of all, for my CSI always was the best of the 3 but now... The thing is that for my Miami and New York always have this Forensics methods and instruments that doesnt exist yet in that time, like the touch tv or the big analysis pc machines and over all the stranges and new Forensics that in that time doesnt exist, have a lot of Fan-fic and Sci-Fi in the middle of all.

And yes, with the time this dissapear and the show become more real, but was late and CBS wants to have more monney and a lot of less shows in the air, like CSI look the writters, the level of the things goes a lot down and all of that is because CBS is putting less monney in the things.

6. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

I dunno, if CSI had one more spin-off I probs would not watch it anyway. New York and Miami was enough for me. The original show already lost it's appeal once the characters changed, so in my humbling opinion another spin-off (or more) would be an overkill.

I haven't had the chance to watch NCIS:LA spin-off, and quite honestly I don't feel like watching it anyway.
    Somehow not all spin-offs gets the feel and I think if I don't feel for it I just don't watch.

Miami and New York were probably the only spin-offs ever I got the chance to watch and likely the only ones I enjoyed watching all those years I spent on tv watching...

Just my opinion... :)

7. Happy Grissom

Happy Grissom Hit and Run

What about character(s) spin-off? I really have the suspicion that we just might see a Lady Heather's Dominion on cable. I highly doubt CBS would rope George Eads in to frontline another primetime show in the foreseen future, though.

P.S. Off the track now; but wouldn't it'd be nice to have Petersen and Fox in a comedy? Just saying......

8. sharp52092

sharp52092 Star Wars and CSI Fan Moderator

I wouldn't mind doing a next generation one day with Lindsey Willow, perhaps Warrick's son, Eli, and any cast members who'd like to return.

9. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Well, if only Greg and other funny characters would lead a comedy show/stuff then I'd give it another thought...
    Hmm....
    Actually...!
    I would rather enjoy Greg-Nick-Flack-Danny-Wolfe-Walter themed comedy show (CSIs from all three shows) because I really can imagine them all hitting some laughter pot.

Just a hilarious RolePlay ingnited idea :D