CSI:NY Season 5 Spoilers Discussion - Start Spreadin' The News!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

:lol: Maybe they'll call their alien child Mork! And they'll go on vacations to Mars whenever Danny has off-days from work! Do you think there's space in Danny's apartment for a spaceship?

Now that is an interesting spin right there! Rikki was a single mother with Ruben, so it could be just as likely that she may decide to remain a single mother even with Danny's baby. But yeah, I can't see her barring Danny from the child's life or keep the baby a secret from him. She seems to genuinely care for him and even told him he's a sweet man. I can't see her pressuring him either so yes, she'll very likely give him the choice to be as involved or uninvolved in the child's life.

Something tells me Danny's the kind of man who'd want to be as much a part of his baby's life as possible. :)

Good point about it lasting all season! Especially if Rikki appears very early in season five to tell Danny she's pregnant, right? That would be something new to the show, alright! Wow, hahah, Danny and marriage with Rikki! And continuity angst over Ruben! Oh yes, I would be very interested to see how TPTB might handle a storyline like that!

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

*pets imaguestage* I agree with Kimmy, you should post more. :p

No, you didn't miss anything, I was just thinking out loud - we never heard or saw anything about Ruben's father, so it made me wonder if he might come into the picture. :)

I will not rearrange the letters, I will not rearrange the letters, I will not rearrange the letters...*snigger* [/immature]

If they wanted to 'highlight D/L', they could have actually clarified where in the heck D/L actually was at some point during this whole thing. Danny's relationship with Rikki was more defined than his relationship with Lindsay. We know exactly what their motivations were, and we know exactly what did and didn't happen. If she was brought in to 'highlight D/L', they did a really shitty job of it, beyond possibly reiterating that Danny and Lindsay like each other, which one would assume should be a given at this point after Lindsay has been propped against Danny for two years.

Just as like =/= love, as I know we've already addressed in the forum before (countless times), having feelings for someone does not imply obligation to said person. For example, if Lindsay showed up in S5 with a hot, studly boyfriend, it might hurt Danny, but it's none of his business. Same deal with Rikki - without confirmation that they were actually dating, while Danny pulling away might have hurt Lindsay because she cares about him, it doesn't mean that Danny's relationship with Rikki was any of Lindsay's business, theoretically speaking - nor does it automatically imply that Danny and Lindsay were in a serious relationship between the S3 finale and "Child's Play". You can care about someone and be hurt by them pushing you away without being in a relationship with them.

But I digress...

I like Rikki, I dislike Lindsay - sometimes these two things work together. However, one shouldn't automatically assume that someone liking Rikki is all about Lindsay - honestly, when it comes down to it, as far as I'm concerned Lindsay can just have Danny and suck the life out of him if the alternative is her sucking the life out of anybody else on the cast. He's already been screwed over, and I'd rather not have anyone else dragged down as well.

But I digress - again.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised that Adam was out there instead of Danny or Lindsay - but I guess we'll see why they chose to send him (aside from Adam being adorkable, of course ;) ).

I'd definitely love to have Gerrard back again, and I think despite the time that has passed, it would be worthwhile to bring Louie back. :D Better late than never!

Yes yes yes, more Adam please. *rubs hands together greedily*

Kimmy means "Turbulence". I believe she may have exaggerated a bit. ;) We know that Adam is at the hangar (as mentioned in the spoiler report), and that Hawkes is there as well - so if most of the investigation is going to go on at the hangar, it's possible they'll both feature pretty prominently. Nothing concrete, of course, but the hints are promising. *crosses fingers*

A genuine 'Adam and Hawkes extravaganza' would give me tinglepants, and if there'd been evidence of such an extravaganza, I'd be the first one to do backflips about it. ;)

You made excellent points, and I totally agree with you. While some things can be used on soap operas (on a regular basis, usually), that doesn't mean they automatically turn a show into a soap opera merely by showing up.

Silly Kimmy. :lol: Perhaps my enthusiasm made it seem like more. :p

That would be very interesting - as you say, Rikki made the choice to leave, so it's possible that we see her again because Danny reestablishes contact for some reason...

ETA because I'm slow and take forever to make a post:

But wouldn't that be kind of redundant? She already left and effectively ended the storyline, so why would they bring her back just to end it again? :confused:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  3. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Hey maybe it was Louie, he could have done a double-disappearing-no-continuity whammy.... :lol:

4. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Absolutely! I'll be making this appointment TV again -- with popcorn!

Edit: I agree with previous posters: the pregnancy storyline can be interesting if done well. I don't think we will have a problem with it being done well, but with our luck, the writers will forget that they introduced the storyline and, at the end of the season, she's still in her first trimester.

5. Lorelai

Lorelai CSI Level One

Thank God! Jacqueline deserves it. She's an amazing actress and there is so much that could be done with Rikki.

So very happy about this and so very looking forward! :)

6. IrinaAthena

IrinaAthena Victim

I'm torn about Rikki returning... the actress is really great, I'm just concerned about any Drama Llama this whole thing could stir up. Pregnancy? Yeah, it could work well if done without the whole love triangle soap opera cliche. But I hope other promising storylines and characters aren't abandoned for it.

Still, yay for the Continuity Fairy! Now, if we just had some from Admissions and more background on the characters...

7. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I'm not exactly thrilled about Rikki's return (understatement) because I felt that the character got a decent exit and I fear that if she returns it could only mean that she will be (mis)used to create more drama in either Danny's or both Danny and Lindsay's lives. The whole Ruben story, for me, was already cheapened by what they used Rikki for later on and any love triangle, pregnancy, whatever story may only make that feeling worse.

But I do love to speculate :) and I'd like to offer another suggestion for a capacity in which Rikki could be returning. What if her behaviour in "All in the family" was not a one-time thing. What if she loses it and becomes the suspect in a case of someone going after guys like Ollie Barnes; guys she holds responsible for the death of a child...Then the, to me, still a bit shady circumstances surrounding Danny's gun will come out too...Now that kind of drama I could handle...

8. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Soooo happy! It took such a great news to get me out of the lurking mode I've found myself into lately... ;) Not sure how I feel about a pregnancy storyline but now I'm all excited about the new season! *grins*

9. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Interesting observation. Not exactly the subtext I was referring to but hey!

It is interesting to speculate. Honestly though, I really don't want to see Rikki losing it again. It feels as though with Danny's help she moved on from that so to have her go back would kinda be weird unless there is a realistic trigger to her behaviour that is clear at the time (we know how great tptb are at making the reasons for character's erratic behaviour clear at the time :rolleyes: *cough*).

I will be glued to the screen along with everyone else to see what happens. At the moment it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense the way things were left in S4 but a lot can happen before her return. Some people have talked about her coming back early in the season but I wonder if she might appear later. I guess it all depends on her role. I get that people liked her character, I did too, irrespective of what it meant for the other characters I like. But, whatever they do I just want them all to retain their dignity and for no-one to be humiliated. Maybe it's not very realistic but whichever way they play it that's what I'd like to see.

10. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

OK. I admit it, I didn't read all the four new pages, but I read more than half and I decided to make a post before I forget what I wanted to say.

Yay for Rikki coming back! Bless the continuity fairies that decided to hoover around TPTB and giving them good ideas. I always had a hunch that she might be coming back, because her exit was made like she moved away, not that she died. Basically this is a good thing because 1) she had an awesome chemistry with Danny and their scenes together were just gold. Carmine and Jaqueline completed each other's acting in a lovely way and they needn't say anything and everything they felt was coming out through their eyes and their body language 2) we might get some more insight in the Ruben storyline and the way that Danny and Rikki are dealing with Ruben's death 3) I'm always up for some quality TV

Now, on to the speculations for the reasons why she is coming back. Frankly, I can't imagine why she is coming back, the reasons are so many, that we just can't even think of them all. I wouldn't disagree with the idea of a pregant Rikki, and that is because no one in NY has had a child up until now and maybe this is the time for a baby CSI, who knows? And another theory that I foun interesting is that she may be seeking protection from Ruben's dad that is angry because his kid died because his mother left him with a neighbor.

I would like to agree with Fay by stating that I am glad that Rikki is back, because I just love Rikki.

And to answer a post that was made a page behind, notice that Lindsay's name is not automatically linked to Rikki's ;)

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I disagree somewhat about the whole thing with Danny turning to Rikki instead of Lindsay saying a lot. I really don't think it says more than one thing. Why did Danny turn to Rikki instead of Lindsay? Answer: They were both going through the loss of Ruben. Ruben was her son and Danny was really close with him as well. Lindsay did not know Ruben and so she could not possibly know what Danny was going through. Rikki, however did know because she was going through that too. That is why there was a connection. They comforted each other. she was the one and maybe only person who could understand how distraught he was over Ruben's death.

If Danny (or anyone else on the show) has a kid, I want it to be because he's in a relationship with the person... not because he slept with someone because they were both feeling grief over the loss of someone. And if they did make her pregnant from that encounter, I think I would turn the show off for good cause it would really just be so stupid IMO. Now, if they decide they want to try a relationship, sleep together again and then she gets pregnant, fine... but not this way. It's all about how this is a procedural crime show. It's not supposed to be about who is sleeping with whom or who is getting whom pregnant. That would just really bother me if they did that.

However, I don't think that Rikki's return is necessarily about Danny/Lindsay. It could be that on her way out of town she is a witness to some kind of crime and the suspects are after her cause she knows or something. Or maybe she's the victim of a crime... or even a suspect in a crime.

Hawkes and Adam are going to be working on a case together? Woo-hoo! They don't get enough screen time.

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

That's exactly how I see it happening if it does turn out that Rikki is pregnant. What it would launch would be a great storyline for Danny--having to change his life to accommodate and raise a child. Now that would be a real, genuine chance for Danny to mature--not to be unnaturally changed to fit another character, but to have to learn how to be a parent and grow into that role. That would be truly interesting, and believable. I'd love to see it from that angle.

Well, sure, but the fact that he talked to Mac, Angell and Flack about how he felt and not Lindsay says a lot about what he thinks about her. Maybe he thought she was too self-involved to want to shoulder his grief or maybe he didn't think she'd care. After all, she didn't once say to him, "I want to be there for you." So I do think it says something that Danny didn't turn to Lindsay.

His turning to Rikki was a different thing--it was really more her turning to him and him wanting to be there for her in whatever way he could because he felt responsible for her son's death.

It could be, but after "All in the Family" that would probably kind of feel like a retread. Anything is possible, but if they're going to be bring her back, it should be significant.

13. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Still doesn't explain why Danny chose to not talk to Lindsay at all about the situation, especially if there's the presumption he and Lindsay are in a relationship. It's true that Rikki would know best what Danny is going through since Ruben was her son, but it still doesn't explain why Danny didn't talk to Lindsay. Considering what Lindsay experienced in her teenage years, the loss of her friends via murder, it'd be logical to some extent that Lindsay would understand what Danny was going through.

But despite that, Danny still turned to Rikki and still did not open up to Lindsay about things, even after her Monologue of Doom. So here's the big question: Why did Danny assume Lindsay wouldn't understand how he felt? The answer: Based on the way she treated him for the last two years, toying with him, wanting everything to be on her terms with no compromise for his, unjustifiably venting out on him when things don't go her way ... she is hardly dependable for any support. If anything, she seems to cause him more stress than he needs. What boggles me is how anyone can think she's a reliable source of support or comfort for Danny after her often childish, self-centered treatment of him all this time and especially after her Monologue of Doom. It's, to date, one of the best evidence of how she makes everything about herself and how she assumes Danny should do things according to her expectations.

This is on the assumption that Danny and Rikki didn't have any closeness before episode 4x16, but that isn't true at all. The best proof? Rikki entrusted the care of her only son to Danny. If they were just casual neighbors who barely knew each other, I highly doubt Rikki would have left Ruben in Danny's care, much less let Ruben approach Danny to ask the guy to accompany him to a church for a christening. And the way Ruben approached Danny in episode 4x11? That's the behavior of a kid who's familiar with Danny and has no apprehension whatsoever of talking and spending time with Danny. Rikki mentioned in episode 4x16 that she and Danny would 'smile at each other' and 'joke at the mail boxes' too.

So who says there wasn't already a relationship developing between Danny and Rikki by the time episode 4x11 rolled around? I think the only reason people are jumping on the Danny/Rikki situation and calling it 'too soap opera-ish' or 'cliche' is because Rikki was only recently introduced. That doesn't mean there was absolutely nothing going on before then. Even Carmine mentioned in his latest interview that there could be the 'beginning of something' with Rikki, so what's the big deal about Danny and Rikki establishing a relationship and starting things over? There's no rule book that says two people can't fall in love just because a child who was close to them passed away due to tragic circumstances. The world isn't black-and-white like that.

And if we're gonna use sex as the measuring stick for what is or isn't a relationship, why is it Danny and Rikki can't be in one even though they had sex multiple times while Danny and Lindsay must be in one because they had sex on a pool table once?

:lol: It's extremely ironic to me that, for some reason, this particular arguement only crops up whenever the development doesn't involve D/L.

And as a number of people have already elaborated, a pregnancy storyline isn't automatically a 'soap opera'. It all depends on how it's written and how it's acted out. Having seen Carmine and Jacqueline on screen, I'm certain they'll knock whatever story plot they're given right out of the ball park with style. :)

You broke my heart. Waaaaaaaah. :p

14. jolein

jolein Pathologist

I`m a bit late but that is good news to read that Rikki is coming back.
    She and Danny have a unique chemistry togther and in those few scenes showed much more then Danny has with Lindsay.

15. imaguestage

imaguestage Dead on Arrival

And since Danny chose not to talk to Lindsay in season 4, who's to say he will begin to share his feelings with her in season 5?

I felt that him pulling out Ruben's memorial card in PF said that he was still dealing with his guilt. It seems that it doesn't matter that people tell him it's not his fault, Danny still feels guilty. Maybe that guilt is still haunting him in this coming season and Danny goes searching for Rikki, the one person who understands his guilt and the turmoil he is going through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.