Criminal Minds #4: We Take Care Of Our Own!

Discussion in 'Criminal Minds' started by Destiny, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Emily doesn't like lying. Hates it, in fact. That's why she didn't lie to Morgan and Reid, she just kind of evaded everything. It's actually one of my problems with this storyline, how she's starting to lie about what she does and doesn't know. Emily doesn't. lie.. Think about how uncomfortable she was in Amplification. Rossi even thought that she was going to tell the woman the truth.

I do, however, think it's interesting who Emily's lied to and to whom she technically hasn't. She's basically lied to both Hotch and Garcia, but she only evaded Morgan, deflected Reid, and carefully maneuvered around Rossi's prodding. She's very sibling with Morgan and Reid, and she every so often she has a father/daughterish relationship with Dave. Garcia's more like a cousin or close family friend, while Hotch is Mom. I feel like, as far as these relationships go, she'd be more likely to lie to them to keep them distracted. She knows that Hotch and Garcia, if they find out that something's bothering her, won't stop bulldogging her until they find out what. Morgan, Reid, and Rossi are more likely to leave her be, which is exactly what seems to be happening.

And Seaver has no freaking idea of what's going on, because she hasn't been around long enough. :lol:

2. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

I think we may have seen Emily's last direct contact with the rest of the team, based on that last shot where she takes a look at each teammate in turn before backing out of the room. She's already made the decision to run. We could have a situation where the team gets Doyle but can't find Emily so they can tell her it's safe to return.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Source: TvGuide Online

What's going to happen to Prentiss on Criminal Minds? Please tell me she doesn't die.

ADAM: The March 16 episode will most likely be her last, but something tells me her sendoff will allow Prentiss to return, should Paget Brewster be so inclined. But what, short of death, will send Emily packing? Matthew Gray Gubler, who directed the episode, tells us that Prentiss' dirty laundry will finally be aired. "[Prentiss] is in a tricky situation. She may have done some things in her past that wouldn't be looked upon favorably," he says.

Now that ^^ is interesting. What I also find nice to see again is that the director of this ep will be Matthew Gray Gubler (Reid).

4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

^^That's definitely interesting and much better than killing her off. I'm glad to read that there's still hope of her returning to the show. It's been a great storyline for Emily and if she did come back there's a lot they could do with her character afterwards given everything she's gone through personally and with the team.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. Half

Half CSI Level Two

It makes me feel a bit better inside, but it's a bit confusing, honestly. You'd think that anything that would make her leave the BAU would prevent her from coming back. Things not being "looked upon favorably" sound like things that would get her kicked out of the Bureau, or at least the BAU...

I'm telling you right now, though- if Strauss tries to turn Emily's loyalty to the team into something illegal, I will lose all of the begruding respect for her that she earned in 100 for the "I'm totally accusing Hotch of murder except for the fact that every question I ask is designed to make you prove that he's innocent."

6. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Yes, a double post, however: Yesterday was Matthew Gray Gubler's birthday. Today is Paget Brewster's. What are the odds of that?

In other news, when I first saw the posts that it was Paget's birthday, I was confused, because I thought that her birthday was in November. No, Half, that's Emily's birth month, you idiot.

I think I know too much about this show.

7. electra

electra Pathologist

^That is fine by me,Half becouse I am absolutely crazy about this show.:lol:

I am still hoping that Emily is going to come back next season.Thanks for sharing the news.:)

8. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

Me too I. She is one of my favorite characters. This coming episode is going to be a nail biter! LOL

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

‘CRIMINAL MINDS’: MATTHEW GRAY GUBLER ON THE TEAM’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE YET
    “Lauren” is easily one of the most important episodes of Criminal Minds ever. And that’s not even necessarily in regards to the headline-making events, like Paget Brewster’s exit and the return of A.J. Cook. But as a team, the BAU is about to face what episode director and star Matthew Gray Gubler calls an action-packed, “epic” episode, complete with grenades, machine guns, and some heart-wrenching performances from the cast as Emily is captured by her nemesis Ian Doyle.​

“I think our greatest episodes are the ones where all of the main characters on it get their moment to shine and do their unique thing,” Gubler tells EW. “The writer on this one did a great job of giving us all really great moments [that were] true to the character and true to the situation at hand. Joe, in particular, has some great stuff. I love it when Joe gets to be the old-timey tough guy.”​

For Gubler, the highlight was communicating the team member’s unique reactions as they dealt with Emily being in a life-or-death predicament. “These characters exhibit a different form because of the sacrifice she’s making. Not to ruin it, but to save us, she’s going on a suicide mission. With Reid, I sort of wanted to represent the younger brother — almost the child she’s losing. That was my take on it as an actor. Morgan takes it as her boyfriend in a sense; he’s offended that she had this – I don’t want to give away too much – but this relationship with a killer. Joe takes it like he’s losing a daughter, and Hotch like a sister. A lot is on the line in this one.”​

Fans know that the result will be Emily’s exit from the team (though most say the door is left open for her return). But what will this mean for big baddie Doyle?​

“You never know,” Gubler teases. “There’s definitely some doors left open, and if we ever wanted to find a guy and smash a guy’s face in, it would be this one. If there’s ever a need for a BAU to take something personal, Doyle might have a number on his back.”
    Additional note: There’s much more non-spoilery stuff from my interview with Gubler coming on Wednesday. So keep an eye on EW’s Inside TV blog!​

10. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

When Matthew said about Morgan as her boyfriend. I hope Morgan and Prentiss are not boyfriend and girlfriend. They don't match. Or He said boyfriend like a friend or just boyfriend, boyfriend. This is a question about the interview. Or Matthew can't said anything.

11. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Don't worry, NHRfan, they're talking about the way that the characters react to the situation.

GUH, I love everything about this article. Reid taking Emily's disappearance as a little brother would, and Dave taking it like a father especially. Both of those relationships are ones that I like in the show in general, so the idea that Emily's last episode will be playing into my love is awesome.

It makes me feel a bit better, even though I'm still really not happy.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

He said Joe instead of Rossi though lol.

13. Half

Half CSI Level Two

He might have said Rossi and they screwed up and said Joe. I've honestly seen it done before. Articles on shows that aren't humongously popular don't seem to be cared about as much.

No matter what, this episode is going to give me heart failure. And tears. Lots of tears.

14. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Fun fact:

I think I saw the actor that plays Doyle in a DirectTV commercial earlier. It kind of makes him less scary you know?

15. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

All Sources: TvGuide

Criminal Minds' Matthew Gray Gubler on Directing Prentiss' Exit: I Put Up a Big Fight For It

Pic of MGG behind the camera

Matthew Gray Gubler is usually known as "Gube," but he had a different nickname while directing this week's Criminal Minds.

"Someone started calling me Michael Bay Gubler because there's so much action in this one," he tells TVGuide.com "I know so little about action films that it's kind of funny."

Indeed, the actor and NYU film grad specializes in the creepy and quirky — just check out his artwork — so quirky that his crash course in action films included The Fantastic Mr. Fox. "That was my main inspiration," he says with a laugh. "And some Sherlock Holmes. I tried to study and made sure the moments of action were done as effectively and cinematically as possible. Especially for our show, which normally [features] more of a knife or a slow strangulation, we're talking flash grenades, MP5 machine guns here. It's a lot of stuff that is new to our show and was new to me. But I was very happy to work with it, and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out."

The episode, of course, is bittersweet, as it also marks Paget Brewster's last series regular appearance as Emily Prentiss. After last summer's cast upheaval that saw A.J. Cook depart and Brewster's episode count reduced, Brewster requested Gubler, who made his Minds directorial debut last season, to helm her farewell.

"I think the writers felt the same way," Gubler says. "I felt it was very important that this episode be done by someone within the Criminal Minds family as opposed to an outsourced director because it was dealing with intense stuff for our regular cast members. All the stars aligned that I got to direct it. It was a beautiful scenario. I put up a very big fight for it."

The episode wraps up Prentiss' arc with her nemesis from her Interpol past, IRA baddie Ian Doyle (Timothy V. Murphy). At the start, Prentiss is MIA as she had stealthily left the BAU headquarters two weeks ago to pursue Doyle solo. To track down Prentiss — who gets tortured by Doyle "similar to how Reid got tortured by [James] Van Der Beek" — the team enlists a familiar face: JJ (Cook). She helps them unlock Prentiss' classified Interpol files, revealing her connection to Doyle and her former undercover identity of Lauren Reynolds to the team for the first time. (The episode is titled "Lauren.")

"[Cook's return] was in the interest of making this special for the fans. 'Who's the one character who can help us find Emily?' Naturally, it was JJ, who's now in the state department. It was such a pleasure to work with her again and to have the whole family back," Gubler says. "Like 'Mosley Lane' [the first episode he directed], I'm in it more than I wish I was because it's an important episode for our team and Paget. But as our brilliant writer Breen [Frazier] put it, he wants this one to ... make the hardcore lovers of the show happy and excited. This one's for the fans."

But the million-dollar question is if Prentiss survives the Doyle showdown. Gubler chuckles at fan speculation that Prentiss will die because "there's always a chance" she could come back since this is her last episode "of the season" and "anything can happen" on TV. Brewster has an option to remain on Minds as a regular next season, but recently joined the NBC comedy pilot My Life as an Experiment.

As an original cast member, Gubler has endured all of the procedural's cast changes, including Mandy Patinkin's surprise Season 3 exit and Lola Glaudini's Season 2 departure (Brewster replaced Glaudini). After all the off-screen turmoil, the actor says he has an optimistic outlook.

"Paget did such a beautiful job. Until that very last moment of her last scene, I don't think anyone realized she won't be around for a while. Her presence is greatly missed. ... But I think once you've played a character for over 100 episodes, it's safe to say you've given it the college try," he says. "There are true tragedies in life than leaving a great job where you did great stuff. So while I'm really sad to lose A.J. and Paget — they're very talented, very special ladies and dear friends — I'll see them all the time. It just won't be on the BAU jet in the immediate future. Who knows if they'll come back? I look back at the evolution of the show and — Mandy, Lola, A.J., Paget — we've had some really great people and I was blessed to work with them. I learned so much from everyone I've met here."

He also learned from his post-directing experience. Last year, after wrapping "Mosley Lane," Gubler, suffering from directing withdrawal, haphazardly cut his hair.

"I got extensions this time and I braided them like Milli Vanilli, so I think the fans will be in for a treat. I've got dreadlocks now. No, I'm joking!" he says. "No withdrawal this time. The first one, I didn't know how it would be received and if I would be invited back. The withdrawal was the thought of thinking that would be the last time I'll ever have in my life of having fun directing. But now that I've been blessed enough to come back and do it, I feel a little less withdrawal. This was a sad episode, a very unique episode. I'm very proud of it and I hope the fans will like it."

Criminal Minds: Top 8 Prentiss Moments Videos of each included here

Brewster, who joined the CBS drama in the second season, was demoted last summer, but has the option to stay on next season as a regular. The actress, however, recently joined NBC's comedy pilot My Life as an Experiment.

In honor of her departure, we're counting down the top moments featuring our favorite Vonnegut-reading, Splenda-loving supervisory special agent.

8. Prentiss the Polyglot: After joining the BAU under mysterious circumstances and without Hotch's clearance, Prentiss, who grew up abroad with her diplomat mother, proves her value in Season 2's "Lessons Learned" when she stuns the team with her fluency in Arabic and then with her read of unsub Jind Allah's actions. We later learn she's also fluent in Spanish, Italian and knows some Russian.

7. Once You Go BAU, You Never Go Back: The Season 2 finale explained that Prentiss was placed in the BAU by Section Chief Erin Strauss to spy on Hotch, but instead of complying with Strauss' threat, Prentiss takes the high road and quits in Season 3's "In Name and Blood," telling Hotch that she hates politics. He ropes her back in for a case by telling her that her resignation (and his) aren't in the system yet, and she ends up getting clocked in the head by the unsub when she offers to go into his house solo. "Is it weird that I'm glad to be back?" she asks Hotch.

6. The Confession: In Season 4's "Demonology" — one of the few Prentiss-centric episodes — we learn more about her past when she urges the team to investigate the death of her childhood best friend, Matthew Benton, who was starting to question his Catholic upbringing back when they were adolescents. After Hotch pushes her away, Prentiss confides in Rossi that she had an abortion when she was 15 against her priest's wishes, which she believes was a factor in Matthew's eventual downward spiral. The emotional reveal sheds light on the hard-edged Prentiss and why, as she said in Season 2, she's good at compartmentalizing.

5. "Ma'am": Always spunky and full of 'tude, Prentiss has never been afraid to stand up for herself. During Strauss' one-on-one interrogation of the team regarding its pursuit — and Hotch's fatal beat-down — of The Reaper in Season 5's "100," Prentiss sneers a "ma'am" so brusque that it was basically code for "f--- you."

4. Taking One for the Team: In Season 6's "Valhalla," a teary Prentiss, fearing for her team's safety, takes a final look at each of them during Hotch's profile of Ian Doyle before turning around and walking out of the BAU headquarters. Just another instance of her putting her team before herself

3. Pick-Up Put-Down: Prentiss can put anybody in their place, including sleazy pick-up artists. Tasked with interrogating the ineffable Viper, she tag-teams him with Jordan in Season 4's "52 Pickup," flirting up a storm right into his wheelhouse before shrewdly deflating his ego. And to think she's dated people worse than him.

2. Three FBI Agents Walk into a Bar ...: It's never all work and no play for Prentiss (remember her "sin to win" weekend?) In one of her first outings with JJ and Garcia in Season 2's "Open Season," she wins over her new co-workers in the bar when she devilishly brings over Brad — "a real FBI agent" — for them to humiliate

1. "I Can Take It": While undercover and held captive with Reid in a cult compound led by Benjamin Cyrus (Luke Perry), Prentiss outs herself as an FBI agent when Cyrus suspects Reid is one. Cyrus proceeds to beat her up silly in another room while the rest of the BAU crew hears all the lovely acoustics through the mics. "I can take it," Prentiss repeatedly says in between the punches, letting her team know that she's OK.