Season 8 Ratings

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by PerfectAnomaly, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

IMO, that's the whole idea behind it. It makes it easier to justify axing the show at the end of the season if they can point to a decline in ratings..even if it caused by CBS itself. The saddest fact for me is that this season will have less episodes than season 4..which was cut short by the writer's strike. I truly don't get why this show which still has so much in it, is on the chopping block while CSI Miami jumped the shark a long,long time ago and is still on the air.

2. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I agree. I think that is a good way to show a decline when it might not be so dire. Who knows, with Gary being a producer, he might be getting a bit tired of the show. Though he doesn't seem to say that on Twitter. But he wouldn't either.

3. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

I will say this though..eight years of a show and 150 plus episodes is nothing to sneeze at. As painful as it is..it is sometimes better for a show to end on a high or semi-high note than to slowly watch it decent into something awful and unwatchable.

4. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Here's a comment from CBS Studios' David Stapf in the latest edition of THR:

I think we'll be getting a Season Nine, but possibly as a mid-season replacement.

5. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Out of curiosity, how exactly would that translate into what we'd get? Obviously I know what 'mid-season' would mean, but how many eps for example? Would it be a show they'd start up when they axe one of their experiments? Would they even order a set number of episodes? I've just never paid attention to the technical reason and process behind what airs when....

6. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Mid-season shows usually get 13-14 episodes.

7. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

Ugh!! I don't want a 14 episode season.

8. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I had that with 7th Heaven. Supposed to end in the 10th season but after the 'finale' they decided to bring it back to an 11th season.

Even though I watched it, it was one of those, 'I'd like to get those hours back of my life'.

9. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Hit and Run

I'd take 14 quality episodes over a 20 episode season where a third of those are a bit ropey (much like the last season of CSI Miami that just aired in the UK).

10. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

The Riple Effect brought 10.34 million viewers and a 1.7 in the demo

11. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Last season of JAG did that for me. Cold Case..while the series finale was great, the few episodes before that were heading in that direction.

12. legitlyobsessed

legitlyobsessed Police Officer

basically, it would start about now, and air as a spring show. like that NYC22 thing. There's ups and downs to it. Upside, obviously, there's another season, but a big downside is that it would start later :( another downside is that it points towards a smaller chance of renewal.
    Given its new bubble status, my hopes are being slightly raised. I just hope that it can push it through the Hiatus.

13. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Blue Bloods had a season (almost a series) low ratings last night. Well I mean the show is not getting cancelled this season anyway. Last night just shows that CSI: NY and Blue Bloods should always be a pair.

NY will have 180 episodes total by season 8's end. I hope CBS can still squeeze a 20-episode final season so that the show will end in an epic 200th (maybe a 2-hour all-in) episode event.

Anyway, the show returns on March 30 right? So that's still 7 or 8 Fridays away from the official season's end. But NY only has 5 remaining episodes so that means there might still be a break, about 2 more weeks, in between the 5 episodes. Ugh.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  14. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I did read that Undercover Boss had good ratings and Gifted man did well too. Was hoping those two would bomb big time. :(

15. rahkira

rahkira Police Officer

Comparing CSI NY and CSI Miami ratings is comparing apples and oranges. The desired demographic parties on Friday nights and is home on Sunday nights. CSI NY consistently wins its time frame, usually with more than ten million viewers. The only "negative" factor I see is that Blue Bloods gets more Friday night viewers in the later timeframe. But I think that has everything to do with Tom Selleck (Hey, I'm not even a conservative, but I'd watch almost any show with him in the lead :cool: ). Compared to all the other Friday shows, the demo is not all that bad. I just hate that NY is opposite Grimm and Fringe. Blue Bloods doesn't have as much quality fictional competition.