Treatment of animals in CSI series

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by Kit'sMum, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Kit'sMum

Kit'sMum Civilian

I live in France, and on Friday 5 September saw CSI:NY Season 1 episode 12/23 "Recycling". It was very late, but I saw that it involved animals and as I'm an animal-lover and concerned about animal welfare I stayed up to watch it. I was very disappointed. Although I'm sure it was a caricature, the dog-showers were portrayed as eccentric and old-fashioned, a dog looked like it was being incorrectly lifted onto a stage - by its neck and tail? - and there was no follow-up to a dog that was tranquilised and sent to Animal Control because it was trying to protect its recently murdered owner, and when the perpetrator was found and arrested she was incredulous but apparently unworried about what was going to happen to her dog while she was in jail.

I would like to see more sensitive treatment of animals in this series that so many people watch. Subjects that could be used include animal trafficking, animal cruelty, irresponsible owners and police reaction to found animals. I hope I am putting this comment in the right place and would like to be contacted by the writers of the series with their reactions. I write myself, but have never written a film script!

2. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

I understand your point completely, as an animal lover myself. However what you need to remember is behaviour like that is exhibited in a way that plays to the extension of the character. The show itself does not mistreat animals in any way shape or form. Hollywood as a whole has become increasingly better at that.

I haven't seen that episode of CSI: NY but the insensitivity shown by that character most likely directed your feelings towards her, as it was meant to.

3. Kit'sMum

Kit'sMum Civilian

JorjaFoxFan thank your for your reply and for confirming that CSI would never harm an animal during the making of an episode!

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was season eight's "Lying Down With Dogs". It deals with illegal dog fighting, and it's very difficult to watch. There were some disturbing images within the episode, but that was entirely due to filming and editing techniques - the animals themselves were highly-trained and well cared-for. They filmed/edited footage of playing dogs a certain way to make it look like they were fighting, added sound effects, sped up filming so it could be slowed down to make a dog appear to be dying, etc. All carefully done, with the animals' welfare the top priority.

Oh, and there was also "Play Dead" during season 13. At first, it looked like a police dog killed his human partner, but the team quickly confirmed the dog's innocence. Nick had a real connection to the dog, Sam, and ended up adopting him once the murder was solved (but not before the poor thing got hurt helping to bring down his partner's killer). I'm not sure if there were inaccurate elements to the story (it's a TV show, so I'm sure that's the case), but the intent was clearly to show Sam's loyalty and bravery. The relationship between Nick and Sam was really sweet, and he came back later on for a guest appearance in "Sheltered".

I'd say "Recycling" was just a case of the writing focusing on certain elements of the storyline, and not giving much thought or consideration to the rest. Careless rather than intentionally harmful. :)