The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by sandersidle, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

RIP Eduard Khil aka Mr. Trololol guy. He died today. :(

2. Mr Jo Danville

Mr Jo Danville Witness

Everyone dying 24/7- that's life but no deserves to go early.

3. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I was just looking for "The Martian Chronicles" at the library Yesterday! (been years since I've read them)

Ray Bradbury dies at 91

Susan

4. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

'Green Acres' actor Frank Cady dies at 96
    By Claire Noland June 10, 2012, 1:22 p.m.

Frank Cady, 96, a character actor who played Hooterville general-store proprietor Sam Drucker on the TV sitcoms “Green Acres” and “Petticoat Junction,” died Friday at his home in Wilsonville, Ore., said his daughter, Catherine Turk. No specific cause was given.

Like Mr. Haney, Eb Dawson, Hank Kimball and Arnold the Pig, Cady’s Sam Drucker was a supporting cast member on “Green Acres” to lawyer Oliver Wendell Douglas and his socialite wife, Lisa, played by Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor who had ditched the high life in New York City for the charms of a farm in Hooterville.

Cady played Drucker for the entire run of "Green Acres" on CBS, from 1965 to 1971, when it was canceled. The show continued to air for years in syndication. He also portrayed Drucker on “Petticoat Junction” and "The Beverly Hillbillies," programs that shared some secondary characters. He reprised the role for the 1990 TV movie “Return to Green Acres.”

Cady had a recurring role as Doc Williams on “The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet” and had guest roles in TV series beginning in the early 1950s. He also had small parts in films, most notably Alfred Hitchcock's “Rear Window,” and appeared in Southern California stage productions.

He was born Sept. 8, 1915, in the Lassen County town of Susanville and studied drama at Stanford University. After serving in the military during World War II, he worked as a radio broadcaster before landing acting jobs.

Cady and his wife, Shirley, moved to Oregon in the 1990s. She died in 2008.

Reflecting on his TV career, Cady told the Portland Oregonian in 1995, “You get typecast. I’m remembered for those shows and not for some pretty good acting jobs I did other times. I suppose I ought to be grateful for that. Because otherwise I wouldn’t be remembered at all. I’ve got to be one of the luckiest guys in the world.”

5. Dynamo1

Don Grady, who was one of television's most beloved big brothers as Robbie Douglas on the long-running 1960s hit "My Three Sons," died Wednesday. He was 68

His "My Three Sons" co-star Barry Livingston, who played youngest brother Ernie, confirmed Grady's death to The Associated Press. Livingston said Grady had been suffering from cancer and receiving hospice care at his home in Thousand Oaks, Calif. But the exact cause and place of death were not immediately clear.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/06/28/my-three-sons-big-brother-don-grady-dies-at-68/

6. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Reports are coming in that Andy Griffith has passed away at the age of 86 :( No details as of yet have been released other than EMS was called to his house early this morning.

Andy Griffith dies at 86

7. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

Unfortunately, it's official.

Today is also the 41st anniversary of Jim Morrison's death. The Lizard King, Mr. Mojo Risin, etc. :(

8. Mac&Adam Fan

Mac&Adam Fan Pathologist

I find it awfully fast that he didn't have an autopsy and was buried.

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

RIP, Andy. :(

10. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

R.I.P. Andy Griffith. Last time I felt this sad and stunned about a celebrity passing was Feb. 29, 2012 when Davy Jones of The Monkees past.

11. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

The cause of death hasn't been announced and we obviously don't know what was in the will. Every state/province/city/town/country has different laws about such things.

12. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Oscar Winning Film Star Ernest Borgnine Dies in LA at Age 95

Susan

13. Dynamo1

Oscar-winning producer Richard Zanuck dead at 77
    Jul 13, 6:38 PM (ET)
    By LYNN ELBER and BOB THOMAS

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Film producer Richard Zanuck, who won the best picture Oscar for "Driving Miss Daisy" and was involved in such blockbuster films as "Jaws" and "The Sting" after his father, Hollywood mogul Darryl F. Zanuck, fired him from 20th Century Fox, died Friday. He was 77.

Zanuck's publicist says he died of a heart attack at his Beverly Hills home.

Zanuck's run of successes as an independent producer rivaled the achievements of his legendary father who reigned over 20th Century Fox from the 1930s until age and changing audience tastes brought him down.

Richard Darryl Zanuck was born in 1934, the third child and only son of the mercurial mogul and his wife, former actress Virginia Fox Zanuck. His mother had appeared in several Buster Keaton shorts in the years before her marriage to the elder Zanuck in 1924.

Richard Zanuck had grown up at 20th Century Fox, once recalling, "When I was a kid I was playing hide-and-seek on the movie back lot."

As a student at a military school and later at Stanford University, he had worked summers at the studio in various departments, including editing and story. After graduation, he became a special assistant to his father.

Richard Zanuck's first wife was actress Lili Gentle and the couple had two daughters, Virginia and Janet. His second wife was also an actress, Linda Harrison, and they had two sons, Harrison and Dean. Both marriages ended in divorce.

Full story at Iwon/AP News.

14. Dynamo1

Oscar-winning actress Celeste Holm dies at 95
    Jul 15, 12:49 PM (ET)
    By MARK KENNEDY

NEW YORK (AP) - Celeste Holm, a versatile, bright-eyed blonde who soared to Broadway fame in "Oklahoma!" and won an Oscar in "Gentleman's Agreement" but whose last years were filled with financial difficulty and estrangement from her sons, died Sunday, a relative said. She was 95.

Holm had been hospitalized about two weeks ago with dehydration after a fire in actor Robert De Niro's apartment in the same Manhattan building. She had asked her husband on Friday to bring her home, and she spent her final days with her husband, Frank Basile, and other relatives and close friends by her side, said Amy Phillips, a great-niece of Holm's who answered the phone at Holm's apartment on Sunday.

Holm died around 3:30 a.m. at her longtime apartment on Central Park West, Phillips said.

"I think she wanted to be here, in her home, among her things, with people who loved her," she said.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cause elusive in death of Stallone son in LA home
    Jul 14, 4:03 AM (ET)
    By ANTHONY McCARTNEY

LOS ANGELES (AP) - There were no signs of foul play or trauma in the death of Sage Stallone, whose sudden passing at the age of 36 left his father Sylvester Stallone devastated, a publicist and investigators said.

Sage Stallone was found unresponsive in his Los Angeles home Friday by an employee and a relative, and police arrived and confirmed Sage Stallone was dead, Assistant Chief Coroner Ed Winter said.

"Sylvester Stallone is devastated and grief-stricken over the sudden loss of his son," publicist Michelle Bega said in a statement. "His compassion and thoughts are with Sage's mother, Sasha."

The cause of death was not clear.

No suicide note was found, Winter said, though prescription bottles were recovered from the home on Mulholland Drive in the Studio City area. Winter could not say what kind of medication bottles or how many, and whether they had a role in the death.

15. Dynamo1

'7 Habits' author Stephen Covey dead at 79
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/16/us/obit-stephen-covey/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9
    (CNN) -- Author Stephen Covey, whose "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" sold more than 20 million copies, died Monday at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center, a hospital spokeswoman said. He was 79.

Covey's family issued a statement, reported by CNN affiliate KSL, saying he died from residual effects of an April bicycle accident.

"In his final hours, he was surrounded by his loving wife and each one (of) his children and their spouses, just as he always wanted," the statement said, according to KSL.

Covey was "one of the world's foremost leadership authorities, organizational experts and thought leaders," according to a biography posted on the website of his 2011 book, "The 3rd Alternative."

Other best-sellers by Covey include "First Things First," "Principle-Centered Leadership," and "The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness," according to the biography.

"The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People" has been named one of the most influential management books by several organizations, including Time and Forbes magazines. The audio book is the best-selling nonfiction audio in history, according to the website.

Once named one of Time magazine's 25 most influential Americans, according to the biography, Covey "made teaching principle-centered living and principle-centered leadership his life's work."

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert released a statement saying he was "saddened" to hear of the death of Covey, a "good friend."

"His combination of intellect and empathy made him a truly unique and visionary individual," Herbert said. "The skills he taught, and importantly, the personal example provided by the life he led, will continue to bless the lives of many. Our hearts go out to his beloved wife Sandra and the entire Covey family."

Covey held a bachelor's degree in business administration from the University of Utah, a master's in business administration from Harvard and a doctorate from Brigham Young University. He also received 10 honorary doctorate degrees, his biography said.

He founded Covey Leadership Center, which in 1997 merged with Franklin Quest to create FranklinCovey Co. The company is a "global consulting and training leader in the areas of strategy execution, leadership, customer loyalty, sales performance, school transformation and individual effectiveness," with 44 offices in 147 countries, according to the website.

In 2010, Covey joined Utah State University's Jon M. Huntsman School of Business faculty as a tenured full professor, the biography said.

Covey and his wife, Sandra, lived in Provo, Utah. He was a father of nine, a grandfather of 52 and a great-grandfather of two, according to the website.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Kitty Wells, country music's first female superstar, dies

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Singer Kitty Wells, whose hits such as "Making Believe" and "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" made her the first female superstar of country music, died Monday. She was 92.

The singer's family said she died peacefully at home after complications from a stroke.

Her solo recording career lasted from 1952 to the late 1970s and she made concert tours from the late 1930s until 2000. That year, she announced she was quitting the road, although she performed occasionally in Nashville and elsewhere afterward.

Her "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" in 1952 was the first No. 1 hit by a woman soloist on the country music charts and dashed the notion that women couldn't be headliners. Billboard magazine had been charting country singles for about eight years at that time.

She recorded approximately 50 albums, had 25 Top 10 country hits and went around the world several times. From 1953 to 1968, various polls listed Wells as the No. 1 female country singer. Tammy Wynette finally dethroned her.

In 1976, she was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame and 10 years later received the Pioneer Award from the Academy of Country Music. In 1991, she received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences — the group that presents the Grammy Awards.

Her 1955 hit "Making Believe" was on the movie soundtrack of "Mississippi Burning" that was released 33 years later. Among her other hits were "The Things I Might Have Been," "Release Me," "Amigo's Guitar," "Heartbreak USA," "Left to Right" and a version of "I Can't Stop Loving You."

In 1989, Wells collaborated with Brenda Lee, Loretta Lynn and k.d. lang on the record "The Honky Tonk Angels Medley."

"I never really thought about being a pioneer," she said in an Associated Press interview in 2008. "I loved doing what I was doing."

Her songs tended to treasure devotion and home life, with titles like "Searching (For Someone Like You)" and "Three Ways (To Love You)." But her "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" gave the woman's point of view about the wild side of life.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord dies at 71
    Deep Purple keyboardist Jon Lord has lost his battle with cancer at the age of 71.

Lord was diagnosed with a tumor in his pancreas in 2011, and he headed to Israel in February to undergo treatment. He was due to make his return in Hagen, Germany, earlier this month, but had to postpone the gig due to poor health.

A statement released at the time read, "Jon wishes to assure everyone that this is not a matter for concern, but it is a continuation of his regular treatment that has just taken longer than anticipated. He and the Hagen Philharmonic Orchestra hope to be able to reschedule the concert for later in the year."

However, Lord's condition took a turn for the worse, and he passed away Monday at a private hospital in London.

A post on his official website states, "It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Jon Lord, who suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism today, Monday 16th July at the London Clinic, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jon was surrounded by his loving family."