Hawaii Five-0: The next generation

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Dynamo1, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

You may have heard of the remake of Hawaii Five-0 coming to CBS this fall in the Monday night time slot previously held for the last few years by some show you might have heard of (CSI: Miami).

CAST

New: Alex O'Laughlin - Steve McGarrett
    Old: Jack Lord - Steve McGarrett

New: Scott Caan (son of actor James Caan) - Danny “Danno” Williams
    Old: James MacArthur (son of actress Helen Hayes) - - Danny “Danno” Williams

New: Daniel Dae Kim (still on an island) - Chin Ho Kelly
    Okd: Kam Fong (actually was a Honolulu police officer) - - Chin Ho Kelly

New: Grace Park - Zulu, Kono's cousin
    Old: Zulu (Gilbert Francis Lani Damian Kauhi) - Kono

New: Jean Smart - Governor Pat Jameson
    Old: Richard Denning - Governor Paul Jameson

New: Taryn Manning (series regular after the pilot) - Mary Anne, MacGarrett’s sister
    Old: Nancy Malone (in a two-part episode) - Marry Ann Whalen, MacGarrett’s sister

Old: Khigh Dheigh (actually Anglo-Egyptian-Sudanese ancestry) - Wo Fat (occasional villain)

Good news: TV Guide online reports that some of the original musicians from the earlier series theme song recently came together to record the theme for the new series. Daniel Dae Kim (Lost) said he feels this is the beginning of a great new journey. "I'm really happy to be on a show that has a theme song," Kim said.

Does anyone else remember watching the original that ran from 1968 to 1980? Are you going to watch the remake?

sendmetallic likes this.
  2. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I'll give it a try because Peter Lenkov is the showrunner and writer this show. He wrote some of my favorite CSI: NY episodes. I hope it's good!

3. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

I remember the last few seasons being on TV when I was a kid. *loved* then and still love the theme tune, so glad to hear they've got some of the original musicians. I will definitely give the remake a chance.

4. Daisy

Daisy Pathologist

I definately gonna give this show a chance. I need some news shows to watch (dropped some and others got cancelled) and I really like Scott Caan and Jean Smart. I think this show could be succesfull.

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Does it mean I show my age if I say yes to that question. :lol:

6. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

^Yeah, I might've seen the last two seasons live, but of course I was only 2 years old. Really I was. ;)

I'm looking really forward to watching the remake. It looks like a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

7. Destiny

Yep and I was an infant. :lol:

8. Della

Della Police Officer

Oh golly I feel so oooooooold - LOL! Admittedly I reside in the UK so Hawaii Five-0 possibly came over to us some years after it's initial showing in America but I do know I was older than 2 when I first saw it - chuckle.

I enjoyed it. It was thoroughly entertaining. I have such an affection for the original that I'm not sure how I'll receive this remade version (Not a fan of remakes to begin with). Guess I'll see after some promos are available. I like Jean Smart's acting, so that's a bonus.

Still, I can see some Jack Lord die-hard fans spitting nails at this proposal though and in a sense I wouldn't blame them, because Steve McGarrett was pretty much an iconic figure for Jack Lord and his fans.

We'll see...

:)

9. HC_4_my_birthday

HC_4_my_birthday Lab Technician

i remember Hawaii five-0 use to watch many years ago,so now i'm showing my age liked the show then. I'm all for that just hope they show here in the UK :)

10. Della

Della Police Officer

Found a promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5m7x_qLrA&feature=related

Can I just roll my eyes and *sigh* - Danny Williams bad mouthing Steve McGarrett and also punching his lights out?!! What a load of old crock. Looks like they've done a "Prisoner" and just got some apparently good looking guys on board to sell the show, but, other than the names, the flavour of the original is sorely lacking in my opinion.

Shan't be giving this a look see I'm afraid. I know it's just a promo but sometimes remakes should be left simply as an idea in someone's head and I think this one, along with "Prisoner", should have stayed right there.

:(

11. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I remember the old show... sort of. I think my dad used to watch it, so I remember it being on, but I was a little young for the police dramas I think.

Looking forward to checking this one out, even if I'm a bit embarrassed to say I'm mostly watching because I think Alex O'Laughlin and Daniel Dae Kim are hot! :lol:

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I have mixed feelings about this one. I do remember the original, and it was a favorite of mine. I thought Danno was cute. And the new actors are appealing. But, in looking at the promos, it seems to be like NCIS:LA in a Hawaii setting, and I lost interest in LA quickly. I will check it out, but doubt that it will be must-see for me.

13. Destiny

Apparently the new shows producers and actors are taking a wee bit exception to it being called a remake. From TvGuide Online.

Hawaii Five-0 Creators: Don't Call Our Show a Remake

Hawaii Five-0 is not, we repeat, not a remake of the original series, the producers stressed at the Television Critics Association fall preview on Wednesday.

"For me, the word remake suggests we're doing exactly the same thing," said executive producer Alex Kurtzman. "What we felt like we really had to do was make sure we stay true to the original spirit of the show, but bring something new to the table that modern audiences would recognize. For us, that's why the word 'reboot' just feels more appropriate."

While the new series certainly pays homage to the original, star Alex O'Loughlin is confident that they'll stand apart from Jack Lord's McGarrett and Co. "I don't think we feel like we have to do anything, we will stand out from the original. It's 50 years later," he said. "We pay homage to the old show and we come at it with the grace, respect and integrity that we do so we can go off in different directions."

One difference the audience will notice is that Danno (Scott Caan) won't be playing second fiddle to O'Loughlin's Steve McGarrett, but rather the pair will be on more equal footing. "We felt that we needed McGarett to play off somebody," said executive producer Peter Lenkov. "The Danno character really felt like he'd be a good foil in some ways. By design, originally, it was that these two guys would be front and center on the show."

One of the things that won't change is that Hawaiian scenery will always be a prominent part of the show. "Hawaii is the fifth character on the show; Hawaii is the fifth Beatle," said Kurtzman. And as for the iconic Five-0 theme song, production sought out the musicians from the original recording to recapture the same essence. "Why mess with something that's perfect?" Kurtzman added.

14. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Let me guess... More fights and explosions, less plot. Aloha Five-0.

15. Della

Della Police Officer

This has GOT to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time. They are not doing a remake, they are going to go in a different direction to the original, so why the hell did they call it Hawaii Five O and have the leads names the same as were in the original?

Why didn't they just give it a different name and different characters FFS!!??? This has got to be the height, the absolute height of pure, unadulterated laziness.

..and yes, Dynamo, going by the Promos, nothing more than a lot of explosions, a lot of noisy gun battles and I'm sure there'll be copious amounts of blokes taking their shirts off and flexing their titties. Mind you, throw in some major long-term personal angst and heartbreak and it will be just what the seemingly majority want from their programs nowadays.

*sigh*