"The CSI Effect" Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Faylinn, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Episode Title: "The CSI Effect"
    Episode Number: 1501
    Synopsis: "Finlay must deal with a bomb planted in her car, while Russell gets a call from someone claiming to be the Gig Harbor killer."
    Original Airdate: September 28, 2014

Written By: Christopher Barbour and Don McGill
    Directed By: Alec Smight

Guest Stars:
    • Marc Vann as Conrad Ecklie
    • Mark Valley as Daniel Shaw
    • Jason Gerhardt as Squad Leader Anthony Hurst
    • Mark-Paul Gosselaar as Paul Winthrop
    • Rob Nagle as Mark Turner
    • Paul James as Bomb Tech Bob Warner
    • Ayla Glass as Female Asst
    • Bryan Cuprill as Seattle Detective
    • Brooke Nevin as Maya

2. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

I liked the episode. Pretty good start to the season. Lots of science this time around. I wish they would stop with the serial killer theme though.

3. stokesmyfire

stokesmyfire Prime Suspect

This is Vegas so I'm placing my bets...
    I think Mark Valley/Daniel Shaw is the real Gig Harbor Killer and always has been.
    I'll add my reasons later when more people have commented so as not to spoil it for anyone.

4. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

It was an "OK" episode. But if this whole season is going to be a 20-episode single-homicide drama with nothing solved at the end, viewers will leave in droves. The show is too old and staid to pull off this kind of stunt like they did on Suits.

They've already done the "quirky serial killer" with the shoebox guy, at least 2 episodes I can think of with twins, and the little girl who vexed Sara to no end.

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Thought it was an ok episode. Nothing spectacular. I'm likely to forget what happened in this one when they continue with the Gig Harbor Killer in ep 15x06.

It was nice to see a lot more science than episodes in recent seasons have had.

They finally got Ecklie to spend money! :lol: Nick sure did have fun with the drone and 3D imaging.

As soon as Sara showed the dots on the roof of the car I knew they represented stars. At that hour I had no idea which constellation but I knew they were stars.

I was having flashbacks to "Flashpoint" and "Cold Case" with the beginning and ending. Starting out with the climax was a hallmark of "Flashpoint" (I would say at least 70 of their 75 episodes did that) It may have had better effect if it was anybody other than Finn, though. The ending with the song and montage (hallmark of both "Flashpoint" & "Cold Case") was nicely done.

They could have given us a little bit more of an explination about Brass, but I can't say as I was expecting them to. Quite frankly I was suprised they said anything about Brass. :(

Susan

6. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

stokesmyfire, I get you are right.

7. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

Nice episode, not the best, but finally we have the Serial Killer that made famous D.B Russell, finally after like 5 seasons of delay in CSI they use the 3D modeling of the crime scene that is use in a lot of real crime scene to see with detail every evidence.

Is strange to have a lot of this "private detective" Shaw and i too think he is the real Gib Havor Serial Killer, but likely the writters are closing to fast the choices; so we have only two guys the twins.

Nick finally have screen time, Sara is Sara, finally one episode that is getting better, but is too late i guess to make right the things.

PD: I would like that when Ecklie says "i have lost a friend before from past phantoms", he is not only talking about Brass, because Grissom exist right?

8. babydoll

babydoll Victim

I thought Ecklie was talking about Vega or Warrick? Or maybe Ray? Or Sara?

the episode was good, I'll give it that, albeit extremely similar to the Blue Paint Killer storyline with Catherine putting him on death row and was it a copycat or whatever - and it was very predictably CSI, but when you've been watching a show for 15 years, it rarely surprises you anymore - but aside from that, I liked it. The thing with this serial killer - is that I don't want it to turn into what happened with Ray and his serial killers - the MCSK was the best serial killer ever - hopefully the Gig Harbor killer will be done tastefully and tactfully

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. AleSir19

AleSir19 Hit and Run

Yes, we have seen a lot of serial killers, my favorite was our "first killer" Paul Millander, follow by the "real" Blue Print Killer and even Natalie Davis and his father, for my this is the top 3.

I always hate Nate Haskell and how he was the only one big villain in the Ray times, now we have this twins and one of them looks like Haskell again so...

But the more strange is that for me the new episodes are the same of always but the old ones (with Grissom and Warrick) always have something new for me...

10. Rena

Rena Rookie

Well, I thought it was pretty good. What I didn't like was the scene in the car with Finn and that guy from Seattle. In public. In daylight. In the car park. That felt odd. But that's probably just me :lol:

I'm not sure if the Harbour Killer had been mentioned before. That would have been nice, but I can't remember right now if they actually did.

I'm a bit disappointed that there was only a short remark on Brass' exit.

Could someone please tell me how they got to that spot with the three bodies? I missed that part of the plot. Thanks! :)

11. monketsharona

monketsharona Police Officer

Yes they did many times like in D.B.'s first episode for example ;)

And in the episode in which he remembers when Maya was a student and she was not allowed to go out because someone was killing girls from her college ;)

12. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

After they identified the Gemini constellation in conjunction with the case, Greg discovered that Castor Novelties used to operate out of the warehouse where the killer staged the scene - Castor and Pollux being the twins represented in Gemini. The same company also had a place called Pollux Petroleum, so they went looking and found the bodies at the staged 'mass grave'. Hope that helps! :)

13. byline

byline CSI Level One

Hubby and I thought this was a very ho-hum episode. Kinda like Paul Milander redux ... only when it was Paul Milander, it was done far better. For me, the main problem was with the writing. Just not very inventive. And the actor playing the killer and his twin was not very good, IMO. Very much like Ray's nemesis after his introduction (I thought he was good in the opening two-parter, but awful in all that followed). He was trying too hard to be evil. I certainly hope we are not in for Nate Haskill redux!

14. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Someone made a .gif comparison of Finn shooting him at the end, and Catherine shooting Paul Milander in back in S1... the scenes are almost identical. It wasn't only un-inventive, they were almost plagiarizing themselves haha

15. babydoll

babydoll Victim

Yep when Finn shot the Harbour Killer dude my first thought was immediately - Catherine shooting Syd Goggol in Strip Strangler. That was unnecessarily identical. I just want something original, well-written, not obsessively about Danson (like Haskell and Hyde both were with Ray) and gradually eased in. It was a good premiere at times IMO - but CSI definitely has the potential to mess it up.