Episode 10x14 - 'Last Straw' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Feb 18, 2012.

?

Grade 'Last Straw'

1. A+

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. A

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. B+

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. C+

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. C

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. D

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. spencerreidfan

spencerreidfan Police Officer

Unfortunately, I am being generous in giving it a C+. It was easily my least favorite episode of the season. The plot moved veryyyyyyyyy slowly and at times was so melodramatic it no longer seemed like I was watching CSI: Miami. Elle was absolutely pathetic and I had a hard time feeling sorry for her: It was just a sorority! Move on with your life! One of the only nice parts of the episode was Horatio saving her at the end, and the fact that Calleigh looked fantastic. I'm really hoping for the next one to be better, because "Last Straw" is not the show I love.

On a side note - Did anyone else think Horatio looked really thin?

2. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

He is.

3. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

After she was kicked out, she couldn't find work (in some ways). I don't find it believable that a sorority or fraternity can have later influences on those who were kicked out or, in some way, victimized by that sorority/fraternity for life. I don't think that it's the case of it being part of a sorority or fraternity. Elle was bullied back in high school. She wanted to belong, but the leaders had it out for her because her mother pledged. She couldn't find work,so she helped in her mom's stables. The girls found out where she is, and took it upon themselves to harrass her some more. What I can suggest for her to "move on with her life" is to relocate or to finally give those girls her reaction or backlash. But, with their continuous and childish behavior and her history of being bullied and no job, how is it really possible to move on?

I don't expect a show's episode to be action-fast or suspense-slow. I'm open to balance and not all hyped up with ADHD, expecting to watch Miami Vice rather than a show with some balance. Soo, flaws and all, it's just a television show, I'll move on with my life when it comes to this.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  4. Titaneers

Titaneers Victim

somehow i felt like this plot was used before, down to the killer being a parental figure trying to protect their kid
    oh yeah... Stoned Cold when the parents killed a girl that bullied their kids at school...

eh.. average episode...

5. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Well, if you missed something, so did I. I just thought it was a glaring continuity error. If so, very careless.

6. greatfan

greatfan Captain

^^
    They had been looking at the suspects record. The statutory rape reference had to do with an earlier charge years before and they were pointing more to the suspect behavior and mindset.

7. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Fair enough! I must have not been concentrating.

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Pretty horse.

LOL at Ryan trying to calm the horse.

"I'm like the horse whisperer, man". :lol:

ROTFL, he thought the riding crop was a snake.

The guy who owned the tanning place - A lady just died dude and all you care about is your business?

Loved that the second time Ryan came in contact with the horse, he knew what to do to calm it.

"Attempting to lie to me is an unwise practice".

I figured the mother would end up being guilty until she said "if my daughter did this, she was driven to it". Didn't figure it would be the dad though (Brandon and Brenda's dad from the original 90210, by the way).

I thought it was stupid that she broke up with her boyfriend who she claimed to love just to get into the sorority. Obviously, she didn't love him enough. Those other two girls were viscous though. I guess they never grew up. Following her after she leaves school to continue to harass her? Yeesh. Can't say I feel sorry for them. They kind of brought it on themselves. I loved that the father asked Horatio if he could understand and Horatio said he did, but that didn't make what the man did right.

9. spencerreidfan

When did that happen? I know he's lost a little weight since the season 9 finale, but last night the difference was really striking.

10. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

You're not the only one to notice it... Suggest we move this down to the H/DC thread...

11. jimihendrix

jimihendrix Rookie

I'll have to give this episode a lower rating because I didn't find it as interesting until Horatio came to rescue the girl that wanted to hang herself, and it wasn't her fault. I knew Ms. Calleigh would show up in this episode because she likes horses. I didn't realize a peppermint would cause a horse to calm down.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't know about calming them down, but they love peppermints.

13. spencerreidfan

I didn't know that either :) I liked how Ryan used what Calleigh taught him to show off for Samatha.

14. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I literally fell asleep. Oh and Jim Walsh was there. I have nothing else to say...hmm

15. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I didn't realize that either. Ryan put that info to good use later.